The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (July 16, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4339
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 7-16-2019 at 10:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (July 16, 2019)

Tonight on SmackDown: unlike Paul Heyman (who began expanding his influence immediately after WrestleMania, when his two pet projects -- Brock and Rousey -- were gone and he could work on other segments), Eric Bischoff's first night on the job as "executive director" is just going to be dipping a toe in the water, not jumping in all at once...

But look for the overall creative tone to continue trending the same way on both brands as we get things lined up for SummerSlam...

In terms of things that have been announced for tonight, we've got two non-wrestling segments, and two women's tag matches... kind of odd, but let's run with it:

Shane McMahon's "Town Hall Meeting" has all the makings of a lengthy tent pole segment... it's Kevin Owens who has been airing all sorts of grievances lately, claiming to do so on behalf of "everyone" in the back... it could be interesting to see if they go with a full-on mutiny against Shane, or if "everyone" hangs Owens out to dry instead of crossing the boss... either way, I trust KO will be red hot on the mic and this is heading towards Owens/Shane at SummerSlam...

Daniel Bryan is also promising to make some kind of monumental announcement on the heels of losing the tag team titles.... apparently, he feels like he let the planet down, and he's dedicating himself to aiming even higher than the tag division.... I doubt it's another run at Kofi, so..... he's totally going to announce he's running for President, isn't he? Kidding.... maybe... kinda...

The bigger of the two tag matches will be a title match in which the IIconics make a rare defense against Asuka and Kairi Sane.... I am (a) a giant fan of Asuka and (b) predisposed to liking my IIconics in small doses, so I think we can all figure out what I'm hoping for... just follow the formula: 5 minutes of chickenshitting around, 5 minutes of Kairi playing Ricky Morton, hot tag and sing-songy "AHS KA'S GON NAH KILL YOU" chants, ending with a tap out...

The days of Mandy and Deville bullying Ember Moon are over, as Ember has apparently scared up a tag team partner, and will get to face her tormenters in a fair fight... for now, however, that partner remains a mystery....

Although not mentioned in any of the hype for tonight, you can wager significant moneys that the New Day will be featured players.... Kofi retained the WWE Title, and Big E/Eggsavier won the tag titles... a promo/celebration in which they get to touch the tips as part of a 3-way (hey, don't blame me, that's E's filthy mouth talking!) is certain, and it would not surprise me if it set up a main event caliber match...

However the New Day's night plays out, it should probably shed some light on their respective feuds heading into SummerSlam... with Bryan aiming higher than the tag division, there's probably no rematch there, and new challengers are necessary... I guess we could do another go-round of Kofi/Joe, but I really would rather see some sense of brand separation, at least when it comes to #1 Contenders... we shall see...

[There are a ton of upper-card guys who don't have a clear-cut agenda, and last night's Battle Royale just underscored that fact... you really could pick from any number of fresh challengers to Kofi, and still have plenty of guys left over for marquee matches at the PPV...]

Put Shinsuke Nakamura down as another new champ who probably won't be dealing with any rematches... he beat Finn Balor for the IC Title on Sunday, but last night, Finn clearly punched his ticket for a feud with Bray Wyatt... it's now expected that Finn and Bray will fight at SummerSlam, hopefully both playing up their dual personalities along the way.... meantime, the new IC Champ would like to featured in storylines more than he was when he was US Champ earlier this year, please and thank you....

And R-Truth is once again alone with his baby tonight... he crashed Drake Maverick's honeymoon to regain the 24/7 Title, and I very much doubt Drake is done finagling to get his wife TV time and a paycheck, so the story of his Double Mission to (1) get the title back and (2) have sex for the first time ever, apparently continues!

Beats the hell out of the fact that Mike Kannelis apparently had sex at least once in recent months and WWE is asking us to care about it, but stilll....

I digress. That is all. End communication...

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 10pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 7-17-2019 at 12:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A) The New Day touching tips was amusing. As expected.

B) Liv Morgan got to appear/say things! I am pleased.

C) I really wish Shelton was doing his "looking around at nothing" thing while this was going on.

Edit: D) Kevin Owens.

[Edited on 7-17-2019 by Il Palazzo]

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood: stiff

posted on 7-17-2019 at 12:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well ... Shane told Kevin he could do whatever he wanted ... I guess he wanted to hit Shane with the stunner.
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 7-17-2019 at 12:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I hate that Liv lost, but at the same time I suppose this might lead to A Thing. And hey, losing a match is better than remaining indefinitely sidelined. Yay Liv! Of course, it also feels like Charlotte hasn't had a match in months either. I can't recall if I'm just forgetting anything she did, or if she maybe was sitting out a bit with a small injury/general time off. Or just a side effect of all the exciting Wild Carding going on.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6037
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: WHY IS ANYTHING

posted on 7-17-2019 at 12:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I do believe Cherlette stopped using bees to apply her makeup as her lips look to have fairly human proportions tonight. Change is in the air!

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 7-17-2019 at 12:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo
it also feels like Charlotte hasn't had a match in months either. I can't recall if I'm just forgetting anything she did, or if she maybe was sitting out a bit with a small injury/general time off.

Please allow me to take this opportunity to request once again a pinned thread that keeps track of who is out with an injury, along with either a projected return date or the injury date & expected duration. Perhaps it could also be used to track who's been off TV for a while but is available.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 7-17-2019 at 01:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A solid concept! My biggest problem is treating WWE programming as background noise, so if someone DOES compete, I may not actually remember it. And again, with the recent sharing of talent between shows forcing a number of people out of the picture altogether, it's not really helping.

And to follow up my awwwwww at Liv losing, I get a yayyyyyyy with Ember winning. And Bayley, but whatever. AND we get a reminder that the IIccoonniiccss have the Women's Tag Titles, along with ANOTHER reminder that the Kabuki Warriors are a thing! Thanks, WWE! Ya done good. Although knowing now that the confused IIconics title reign is apparently a consequence of an aborted Bella Twins title run kind of makes this stuff a little more ehhhhhhh. But whatever, we get a match of some sort. MOMENTUM IS GOOD.

Edit: Ha. Thought we were getting a sudden debut of a new person, and then nope just Elias having his music kick off at a different point.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6037
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: WHY IS ANYTHING

posted on 7-17-2019 at 01:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is anyone as shocked at I am at D-Bry's revelation?! Top ten most shocking WWE moment for sure.

Also,

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 7-17-2019 at 01:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo
Thought we were getting a sudden debut of a new person, and then nope just Elias having his music kick off at a different point.

Keep in mind Elias usually doesn't have entrance music - he does his "hello, my name is Elias" schtick. That's his post-match music.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 7-17-2019 at 01:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Maybe he had a new revelation that he didn't actually know what his original revelation was, so he had to go back and think it over longer. Perhaps some time spent thinking in Aleister's Dimly Lit Room of Waiting would help.

Edit: And yeah, that's always a fun thing with Elias. On TV you only get the theme after the fact, but then spend enough time playing a WWE game with him in it and suddenly you have the weird feeling caused by hearing it during an actual entrance.

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 7-17-2019 at 01:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Remember when Mankind first debuted in WWE? He had one piece of entrance music and different music that played after his matches. Foley had suggested that as something to differentiate him from everyone else.
LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 7-17-2019 at 02:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wonder if Bischoff had Shane take a second stunner after he botched the one in the opening segment.
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 7-17-2019 at 02:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I keep thinking about it at times before forgetting repeatedly, but did the whole Shane/Roman thing ever come to a proper end? It seems like Shane keeps jumping from feud to feud without ever having what I feel is a proper conclusion. It seemed like the Shane/Miz thing ended in Shane's favor, but they kept kind of going ahead with it when the Wild Card thing kicked off. Then he seemed to slide over to Roman, which has continued in chunks, but now it's Owens. Another issue that is probably made worse for me due to my lack of proper attention, but I think also maybe being exacerbated by the past few months' worth of emergency ratings boost attempts, in addition to a number of things being paused because of the Saudi show during that time frame.

Also, while I doubt it matters at this point, aren't the AoP on RAM still? I can't remember anymore, since they've been more or less inactive for some time.

But all of THAT aside, fairly fun end. I was kind of hoping Owens would smoothly transition immediately into a Stunner on Shane after exiting the ring, but we still got there a moment later so all is well. And I wish we'd gotten Bryan's BIG ANNOUNCEMENT, but I suppose that'll be for another day.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2450
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 7-17-2019 at 10:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You'd think Shane McMahon of all people would know how to take a stunner.

I'm hoping it means a bit of an individual retool for Liv Morgan, although, honestly, she's kind of delightful as she is so I hope they don't tamper with her too hard.

They seem to be hinting at Orton/Kofi for Summerslam, but I felt like Daniel Bryan's announcement has to do with getting the World title back. But maybe they're going to slow-burn that.

Apollo Crews got his last name back sometime and I didn't know it.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9464
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-17-2019 at 01:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm torn about how to feel with them running with Owens-Shane as "Austin-Vince V. 2.0." On the one hand, blatantly copying a winning gimmick/feud rarely works. On the other hand, if anyone can pull it off, it's KO. But the other thing that gets me is - He JUST turned heel, what, 3-4 months ago? We're just resetting him I suppose?

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2450
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 7-17-2019 at 02:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
I'm torn about how to feel with them running with Owens-Shane as "Austin-Vince V. 2.0." On the one hand, blatantly copying a winning gimmick/feud rarely works. On the other hand, if anyone can pull it off, it's KO. But the other thing that gets me is - He JUST turned heel, what, 3-4 months ago? We're just resetting him I suppose?

I feel like they always wanted to go this way with KO but he got temporarily derailed when Bryan got injured coming out of WM and they used him as an emergency challenger for Kofi. Since then, he's just been kind of buzzing around. I like that Kofi still referenced it last night, with his "The North remembers" comment.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1963
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 7-17-2019 at 02:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He returned In February as a heel. (poaching Kofiís title shot as Vinceís chosen one).

Turned face shortly after Wrestlemania when Big E was hurt (joining New Day).

Turned heel a week later (turning on New Day).

Turned face in the last few weeks (going against Shane).

Five months since he came back from injury and heís turned three times.

I think KO is capable of pulling off an Austin-like role, but Super Shane is not a foil I care about seeing him against. When you think about Austin/McMahon, what happened any time Austin got Vince in the ring one-on-one? Austin kicked his ass from pillar to post, because one was the top wrestler in the company and the other was a 50+ year old executive. Vince would use all sorts of trickery and hired goons to screw with Austin and keep him at armís length, but once he cleared all the hurdles the beatdown was a formality.

Knowing that the eventual payoff of Owens vs Shane will likely end up being a 20+ minute competitive match that sees Shane on offense for 75% of it just doesnít interest me.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 7-17-2019 at 03:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
I'm hoping it means a bit of an individual retool for Liv Morgan, although, honestly, she's kind of delightful as she is so I hope they don't tamper with her too hard.

When Liv first came to the main roster, I was pretty blah on her. With the Riott Squad, I started to see more of her personality develop, and her in-ring work improve, and I've definitely warmed up to her.

Hopefully they don't go with another "Charlotte's flunky" storyline and are able to use this to develop Liv even further.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1628
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 7-17-2019 at 03:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Apollo Crews got his last name back sometime and I didn't know it.

WWE changed their minds about that whole "let's just call him Apollo" thing within a few months of the initial decision, and Apollo Crews is all the better for it. This fact is what always gives me brief hope whenever they decide to pointlessly shorten a great ring name to turn it into a crappy one (see: Almas, Andrade "Cien"; Ali, Mustafa; Dozovic, Otis).

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 7-17-2019 at 03:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker

I feel like they always wanted to go this way with KO but he got temporarily derailed when Bryan got injured coming out of WM and they used him as an emergency challenger for Kofi. Since then, he's just been kind of buzzing around. I like that Kofi still referenced it last night, with his "The North remembers" comment.

I was just listening to his interview with Lillian Garcia on her Chasing Glory podcast, and it sounds like he really wants to prove himself as a babyface. He says that he got a taste of it, but had to turn heel for what was needed for the company at the time, but that he wants to accomplish a successful babyface run. I'm glad they're giving him the opportunity to do it, and if there's anyone in the company who can do an Austin vs. McMahon angle, it's KO.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7803
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 7-17-2019 at 04:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Even with taking Kofiís spot, KO was a face when he came back. But I agree 100% that the plan was face KO. I think Kofiís Mania win was meant for Owens, but plans changed.
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8290
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 7-17-2019 at 05:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Stone KOld.

Slap that on a few shirts, and watch the money roll in.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3084
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 7-17-2019 at 07:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
Stone KOld.

Slap that on a few shirts, and watch the money roll in.

Owens 316 lbs

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top