The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Full Spoilers)
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-5-2019 at 08:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Spider-Man: Far From Home (Full Spoilers)

As Flash correctly predicted over in the Movie Round Up thread, here is a full spoilery thread for Far From Home. I just saw it tonight and, like most of Marvel's stuff over the last few years, really enjoyed it for the most part.

My usual random thoughts:

-Even though Mysterio being portrayed as a hero in the trailers seemed shaky at best (at least to us comics nerds), I loved that I went into this movie basically having zero idea what was going to happen. All I knew was what had been shown in the trailers and nothing else, so kudos to Marvel for keeping a tight lid on things.

-I thought it was cool to see a followup to the events of Infinity War/Endgame be shown through a smaller-scale MCU movie, while also answering some questions about the Snap (excuse me, the Blip). I still don't know if the five year leap in Endgame was the best idea, but hey, too late to worry about that now.

-I loved how Mysterio was portrayed in the movie, even if you had to really suspend your disbelief for the crazy technology he was using (and yes, I know this was a comic book movie). In usual MCU fashion, they made some changes/tweaks to the character, but otherwise he was exactly what I was hoping for as far as the illusions/trickery shit went. Plus it doesn't hurt that Jake Gyllenhaal is a pretty damn great actor.

-Speaking of Mysterio, his costume looked badass and I like that they kept it very true to the comics.

And a couple of nitpicks:

-Even though using deception is basically Mysterio's deal, it kind of felt like a retread of what they did with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3. And don't get me wrong, it 100% worked for the Mysterio/Quentin Beck character, but we've already seen the "villain (or in this case, hero) is a complete fraud" story before in the MCU.

-For the most part I feel like the MCU movies have pretty good special effects, but there was some bad CGI that just stood out to me in Far From Home. Even the first shot of the ravaged Mexican town was a bit fake looking (the Elementals looked pretty awesome though).

Lastly, those two end credits scenes (which might be the biggest "holy shit!" one-two punches in MCU history, which is saying something):

-So Spidey's secret identity is out there now? It's going to be really interesting to see where exactly in the hell they go with that, especially since Vulture knowing it is kind of negated now. And JK Simmons popping up as J. Jonah Jameson was a total mindfuck and while he is the perfect Jameson, it is a bit odd to have him be portraying the same role he did in the Tobey Maguire movies.

-Since Fury/Hill were revealed to be Skrulls, exactly how long has Nick Fury been hanging out in space? Was this just a recent thing post-Endgame or has the Nick Fury we've been watching in other MCU movies actually been Talos? I guess we're not meant to know for now.

-I'm a little surprised we didn't get the Vulture in one of the post-credit scenes, as I was kind of predicting we'd either get a Vulture/Mysterio "let's team up" tease or something showing him getting out of prison.

Okay, there's probably stuff I'm forgetting (and I've already typed way too much), but my brain is fried from drinking beer on the lake all day and then watching the movie, so I'm done for now. Far From Home gets an 8/10.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1935
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 7-6-2019 at 03:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Saw it this morning. Loved it.

As odd as it was when they declared that this, and not Endgame would be the end of Phase 3 and the “Infinity Saga,” it made sense in that this served as something of an epilogue to Endgame and brought everything full circle in addition to being Spider-Man’s next adventure. Few things I noticed:

-The opening riff of Back in Black was the first sound heard in Iron Man, and this the MCU as a whole. Happy cues it up on the plane as they’re headed to the final battle (and giving us more of Favreau’s Happy Hogan has been one of the small triumph’s of the MCU’s Spider-Man).
-Iron Man ends with Tony Stark revealing his identity to the world. In Far From Home Peter learns that Tony had chosen him to take up his mantle, and by the time we’re walking out of the theater Peter’s identity has been revealed to the world (though not by his own choice).
-From the “maybe a little TOO on the nose there, Marvel” file, did anyone notice the sign on the street during the final web-swinging scene? The numbers laid out “1 -> 2 -> 3 -> ?” and “We can’t wait to show you what’s next!” or something to that extent.

I like that they addressed a bit about what happened to people coming back from the snap with May talking about reappearing in her apartment that was now occupied by another family, but again, what of the people that were on airplanes or cruise ships or something when the snap happened? Will that ever be addressed?

I too was very curious about how they’d do Mysterio, and I don’t know that it could’ve been done much better. I don’t see it as too much of a Mandarin re-tread, because Mandarin was an oblivious patsy being used as a figurehead while Beck/Mysterio was the actual mastermind, and even though he didn’t really have any superpowers he did have the full force of Stark tech at his disposal, making him as much a threat as Iron Man himself could’ve been if he’d ever gone rogue.

The whole way they did it fit incredible well, and the hallucination sequence felt exactly like something you’d see in a comic or video game (thinking in particular about the Scarecrow sequences in the Arkham games). Gyllenhaal was great, and I wonder if he’s actually dead, because between him, Vulture and Scorpion, we’re halfway to a Sinister Six...

But those mid/post credit scenes...I had heard that the first one in particular was can’t-miss, and even though I’m on record as a “keep the X-Men away from the MCU for now” guy, I admit I was getting a Cherokee Tingle and was ready to geek out over a Wolverine tease or something similar. While that didn’t happen, has there ever been an after-movie sequence that did as much to upend the status quo as this one?

The first one stands to turn Peter’s world completely upside down, as the next time we see him he’ll be exposed and known to the world, not to mention be seen by many as a villain attempting to seize the “throne” vacated by Iron Man’s death. Depending on how much legitimacy SHIELD has regained since Winter Soldier, they theoretically could clarify to the public exactly everything that happened, but I guess that isn’t happening if they’d make a point to drop this bomb.

And I wanted to cheer when JK Simmons’ face appeared on the screen. Him as Jameson might be the single most perfect casting decision that’s been made in any comic movie, at least where it comes to secondary characters. I really hope he’s back for the next one vs this just being a little Easter egg for the fans that have been around since the Maguire days. Also interesting that they’re seemingly going with him as an Alex Jones-type podcast/webcast tabloid guy instead of running a newspaper, similar to his portrayal in the PS4 game (which incidentally is absolutely awesome and if you have a PS4 and haven’t played it, go do so).

That final scene is a little more open ended, and I guess we’ll be getting more cosmic for Phase 4. Perhaps this will be the point where we’ll start seeing the Fox properties integrated into the MCU and Galactus will be the next big bad?

Anyway, yeah that’s a lot of words from me as well. Anyone else?

I'm Cherokee Jack!

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-6-2019 at 06:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
I like that they addressed a bit about what happened to people coming back from the snap with May talking about reappearing in her apartment that was now occupied by another family, but again, what of the people that were on airplanes or cruise ships or something when the snap happened? Will that ever be addressed?

I've seen this discussed elsewhere across the Internet and I kind of get the feeling they'll never fully address it. In addition to people who were on airplanes, what about the people who were having sex during the Snap? Or were taking a shit? Hell, how did the millions of people who had been driving cars suddenly getting snapped back into existence work?

Also, the teacher telling the story about his wife faking her death after the Snap was fucking hilarious.

quote:
I don’t see it as too much of a Mandarin re-tread, because Mandarin was an oblivious patsy being used as a figurehead while Beck/Mysterio was the actual mastermind, and even though he didn’t really have any superpowers he did have the full force of Stark tech at his disposal, making him as much a threat as Iron Man himself could’ve been if he’d ever gone rogue.

Well, I more meant it felt like a bit of a retread in the sense that the Mysterio character as he was portrayed (flying through the air, fighting giant monsters, etc) didn't actually exist. I know there are differences, but the Mandarin who was portrayed for the first half of Iron Man 3 and the Mysterio who was portrayed for the first half of Far From Home turned out not to be real, so that's where I saw the similarities.

quote:
The whole way they did it fit incredible well, and the hallucination sequence felt exactly like something you’d see in a comic or video game (thinking in particular about the Scarecrow sequences in the Arkham games). Gyllenhaal was great, and I wonder if he’s actually dead, because between him, Vulture and Scorpion, we’re halfway to a Sinister Six...

I totally forgot to mention the hallucination sequence (though I guess it was really more images being projected by Mysterio rather than Peter actually hallucinating), but they were extremely well done and kind of reminiscent of stuff from Doctor Strange. Zombie Iron Man was also pretty dark for a MCU film, but I thought was really effective as far as Mysterio fucking with Peter.

And I'm 50/50 on Mysterio really being dead, but leaning towards him being alive. Like you say, we're halfway to the Sinister Six, so it would be kind of a bummer to kill him off (plus I'd love to see Gyllenhaal back for another go-round).

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 7-7-2019 at 01:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I suspect that Jake Gyllenhal "Mysterio" is dead, but keep in mind that the name Quentin Beck was a made up name in the movie; thus someone else (namely the guy who absconded with a copy of the Stark program and who probably outter Peter got away)... The nature of Mysterio could allow them to have Gyllenhal back as Mysterio, but it also not be the same guy pulling the strings so to speak.

I was wondering how they were going to deal with that room full of people knowing Peter was Spidey; the ending kind of takes care of that as what's a secret worth if everyone knows it? The whole Peter being outted and him being kinda crappy with his identity is very much from the Ultimate Marvel Universe (with maybe some influence from Peter outting himself during the comics Civil War at Iron Man's request)... I mean it somewhat fits in a more grounded reality that if you are a big enough celebrity people aren't going to be satisfied with you staying masked; in an age of everyone being a recording device waiting to happen... I like the reveal; it just fits and is a new direction.

How long was Nick Fury not Nick Fury? I think about 8 months or less... We know Fury used the Marvel pager at the end of Infinity War... yeah he could have given that to Talos, but that doesn't fit for him to give away one of his secret weapons (especially with Talos being from a space faring race, so he could have had other means to reach out... the pager was for 90's Fury to reach out). They said in the movie the Blip was 8 months ago, so I think that gives you a good amount of time for Fury to head out into space.

I don't credit myself with being overly clever in saying this, but the whole elementals thing and his multi dimensional claims that Mysterio made were pretty much the scam that I figured them to be... Getting into a complicated mutiverse is a turn I don't think Marvel needs to make... I mean logically they are going to cast younger talent to be X-men if and when they do that; and there's been nothing said in any MCU movie that precludes mutants being a thing... We know Inhumans have been running around mostly off the map... I mean if you wanted to you could throw in a line when they get around to Mutants and say something like quantum energy or something left over from the Blip/Snap may have spurred on the creation of new mutants or something... While I liked Far from Home quite a bit there was also something of a letdown when reveals and plot points are pretty much what you figured they'd be (although huge cred for tying it all to other MCU scenes and the running them of Stark "haunting" Peter).... I put that more on me having read 35'ish years worth of comics than a failing in the story.

"It's pinching my web shooter" and "Nightmonkey" are now things and the world is better for it.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-7-2019 at 05:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
How long was Nick Fury not Nick Fury? I think about 8 months or less... We know Fury used the Marvel pager at the end of Infinity War... yeah he could have given that to Talos, but that doesn't fit for him to give away one of his secret weapons (especially with Talos being from a space faring race, so he could have had other means to reach out... the pager was for 90's Fury to reach out). They said in the movie the Blip was 8 months ago, so I think that gives you a good amount of time for Fury to head out into space.

But if Talos was going 100% in on being Fury though, it would make sense that he would have the pager (especially given his strong ties to Captain Marvel). But otherwise, I agree with you that it'll probably turn out Fury has been in space for a fairly short amount of time as far as the MCU timeline goes, rather than we've been watching Talos impersonating Fury for the last ten movies or something. But what exactly Fury has been doing in space is the really intriguing question that I'm assuming will be a centerpiece for Phase 4.

quote:
Getting into a complicated mutiverse is a turn I don't think Marvel needs to make

I completely forgot to address this in my first post, but I did mention back in the Endgame thread that I had reservations about Marvel going the multiverse route, because like you say, it can lead to over-complicating things and I don't want to see multiple version of Spider-Man or an alternate universe Tony Stark running around the MCU. So I'm glad they didn't go this route (also, I recall in one of the trailers that Nick Fury mentioned that the Snap opened rifts into different realities or something like that, which got cut in the final movie).

quote:
"It's pinching my web shooter" and "Nightmonkey" are now things and the world is better for it.

Speaking of other things I forgot, the Night Monkey...fuck, that was hilarious.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 7-8-2019 at 03:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can't remember seeing Skrull blood in Captain Marvel or not, but perhaps that might be a clude as to when Fury was last Fury if this does indeed go back a ways in the movies and not go the he's only been in space a few months... Like in Winter Soldier I recall Fury bleeding quite a bit; there may be other examples... I have no doubt there's some youtube conspiracy videos going over such a thing already clogging up the internet.
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-8-2019 at 06:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
I can't remember seeing Skrull blood in Captain Marvel or not, but perhaps that might be a clude as to when Fury was last Fury if this does indeed go back a ways in the movies and not go the he's only been in space a few months... Like in Winter Soldier I recall Fury bleeding quite a bit; there may be other examples... I have no doubt there's some youtube conspiracy videos going over such a thing already clogging up the internet.

Well, we can probably put the speculation to rest, as the director of Far From Home himself has chimed in:

“First of all, to clarify the timeline, that’s the real Nick Fury at Tony’s funeral at the end of Avengers: Endgame. So it’s not like he’s been a Skrull forever or like, it’s not like he’s been a Skrull since Captain Marvel."

So yeah, it seems like Skrull Fury is a recent development in the MCU and I'm totally fine with that, because I wouldn't really be into a "Fury has been Talos this whole time!" retcon.

EDIT: I found that quote from Jon Watts (the director of Far From Home) on 411, just so nobody thinks I randomly pulled it out of my ass.

[Edited on 7-8-2019 by the goon]

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1935
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 7-8-2019 at 02:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I never would’ve thought Talos-as-Fury would’ve been going on since longer than the gap between Endgame and FFH. If we were to assume that Talos has been Fury since Captain Marvel, that would mean he’s been there through the entire MCU timeline since Iron Man, and I can’t see Fury (“the most paranoid man on the planet,” as Mysterio called him) leaving the whole assembly and execution of the Avengers initiative to a Skrull impersonator.

I think it makes more sense that it was Fury that got snapped, Fury who appeared at Tony’s funeral, and once he got his wits about him and was caught up on everything that had happened with Thanos and the last five years, he went about going into space to scout out any more threats and set up defense mechanisms (S.W.O.R.D.?), leaving Talos on Earth in his place to keep up appearances and hide his true whereabouts.

And re: Multiverse, I agree completely that they need to avoid getting too far into that. It’s fine to mention that there can be alternate timelines and parallel dimensions out there, but leave it at acknowledging that they exist, and keep the movies grounded in whatever timeline they happen to be in. Going too deep into multiple Earths and whatnot could just confuse and turn off a lot of moviegoers.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 7-8-2019 at 03:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Like everyone familiar with the comic version of Mysterio, I figured the Elementals were some kind of parlor trick and he was going to turn out to be the villain all along. But I was still impressed with the way they pulled it off, with the image projections and cloaked drones. Whoever came up with that idea deserves a gold star. They also did a good job making Mysterio seem -- in-universe, and to anyone who doesn't go into the movie knowing he's a classic Spider-Man villain -- like a heroic character. Obviously, in-universe, he had to be convincing in order for Spider-Man to willingly hand over EDITH. But I feel like a lesser movie would have kept giving him obviously sinister character beats -- kinda insulting the audience's intelligence ("HEY GUYS JUST IN CASE YOU HADN'T FIGURED IT OUT YET"), and simultaneously making Spider-Man look like an idiot for trusting him. Compare that to, say, the absurdly obvious Ocean Master villain from the trashbag "Aquaman" movie. Part of me was surprised they killed him off, since he seemed like the kind of villain who survives; Spider-Man isn't the kind of hero who kills people, and of course the Vulture survived the previous movie. I mean, I realize he could conceivably be brought back in hologram form, but I don't think it would make sense for his effects team to do that, since his death is key to turning the public against Spider-Man.

That factor in itself should be interesting going forward. Like, the public in the MCU is familiar with Spider-Man, and seems inclined to regard him as a good guy; he's doing these public events, he's known to have fought Thanos, etc., so he's got nothing but positive PR up until the doctored Mysterio footage. Plus, they all now know that he's a teenage kid, which would probably make him seem less threatening. And on top of that, the public at large has now seen Mysterio's real face, and some of them are going to recognize him -- possibly as a guy who was considered a mite unstable, which he himself suggested contributed to his lack of success in his work for Stark Industries. So I'm interested to explore how effectively those brief videos, in conjunction with the Daily Bugle's shouty coverage, might turn people against him. I hope it'll be handled with nuance, rather than everyone just suddenly deciding "Welp, Spider-Man must have been a bad guy all along," with some people falling for the smear campaign and some people thinking it's nonsense.

Which, speaking of: I'm so happy they brought back J.K. Simmons' version of J. Jonah Jameson, and have found a way to make him a compelling media figure in the MCU's version of the modern day. There aren't a ton of newspaper publishers in 2019 who are considered to be anywhere near as influential as Jameson is in the comics, so portraying him as more of a cable news/alt-right website pundit is a smart move.

ulsterphil
Fella

Posts 348
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Northern Ireland

Mood: Housified

posted on 7-10-2019 at 03:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
First time posting outside the wrestling thread, be gentle with me.

I liked the movie. Mostly. I think. I saw it yesterday and im still 65/35 in favour of it being good.

My problem with it? That its basically a by the numbers re-hash of Spiderman 2.

Peter wants the girl? Check
Girl has competing love interest? Check
Girl suspicious of peter being spiderman? Check
Peter doesn't want to be spiderman as its getting in lifes way? Check
Peters powers fading, possibly due to over-complicated life? Check
Peter friendly with villain before he is villain? Check
Villain mentally unhinged due to involvement with the featured tech? Check
Peter reveals his secret to girl? Check

I could go on. The movie pulled itself from dullness with the credits scenes though, il give it that.

ulsterphil
Fella

Posts 348
Registered 10-2-2007

posted on 7-10-2019 at 03:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Also, someone who has a better memory here might be able to help. In the doctored footage at the end, is spidermans costume shown to be red and blue? Instead of the red and black he was actually wearing?

I don't know if im remembering it wrong or not.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 7-10-2019 at 06:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterphil
Also, someone who has a better memory here might be able to help. In the doctored footage at the end, is spidermans costume shown to be red and blue? Instead of the red and black he was actually wearing?

I don't know if im remembering it wrong or not.

No, you're remembering that correctly. It didn't register with me at the time, but if you look at crappy bootleg footage of the scene on YouTube, he's clearly wearing the traditional Spider-Man duds. Which I guess makes sense, if Mysterio's team was working to discredit Spider-Man; the public thinks the black-clad version is "Night-Monkey," so it has to be the Spider-Man they recognize in the doctored video.

ulsterphil
Fella

Posts 348
Registered 10-2-2007

posted on 7-10-2019 at 09:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Its also how it can be proved that the footage is wrong, so hopefully Spiderman: Afraid To Go Home is well penned already.
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7709
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 7-16-2019 at 01:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Spider-Man 2 is a classic movie in part because it stays true to the comics. The balance between being Spider-Man and being a kid/Peter Parker has always been a big part of Spidey stories.

Jameson being brought back full time isn’t really needed. I enjoyed what they did and am ok with them leaving it alone. I’d also be ok with him being used to counter whatever SHEILD/Fury/Pepper put out to counter the news. I mean there’s enough evidence to prove Beck wasn’t a hero, and was a former Stark employee who developed BARF.

Oh and the FF thing was a little obscure, but awesome. Peter is at the right location, and people have been guessing that the old Avengers Tower will be the new Baxter Building.

Side note...but Mysterio’s use of BARF fooling cameras makes me think that mutants being hidden by Prof X/Reality altering mutant _____ hooked up to Cerebro is still in play. Mutants, like the Skrulls, may have been hiding for years.

MayhemNX
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1715
Registered 11-18-2006
Location Web City

Mood: Bitey

posted on 7-24-2019 at 01:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just took my nephews to see this (second time for me) and noticed something interesting. At the end, when Spider-Man drops MJ off after web swinging around the city, in the background there's a large street level ad that states "We're excited to show you what's next" broken up between a few different banners. Didn't notice that the first time and thought that was kind of neat, given that the MCU Phase 4 announcement wasn't far off when this came out.

Quantum Fetish Mechanics: The act of thinking up a new type of fetish causes that fetish to exist. Someone probably has a website dedicated to it. Schrodinger's cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by peanut butter and elbows.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7709
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-20-2019 at 10:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So apparently Sony has opted out of the deal with Marvel. So no more Happy, Fury, or references to the MCU.

So, so, stupid.

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1935
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 8-21-2019 at 12:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So after Marvel and Disney revived what was essentially a dead property in Sony’s hands, now they want it back for themselves.

Can’t decide which possibility I’m less excited for:

Sony rebooting Spiderman AGAIN, leaving the big cliffhanger at the end of FFH hanging and gambling that they can make it work this time around (Yeah the first two Raimi movies were good, but that’s going back 15-20 years now. The last three live action movies ranged from okay to terrible)?

Sony keeping the continuity from FFH and going from there, but now having to eliminate any appearances or even mentions of any other MCU properties? All the world building they did in the last couple movies, and now we continue in a world where Tony Stark, Nick Fury, Happy Hogan, all the rest of the Avengers and Thanos and the events of IW/Endgame just never existed?

Let’s just say I’m skeptical at best about how this all works out.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 8-21-2019 at 01:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can't help but wonder if this will end up like all those "this channel will no longer be offered by this cable provider" situations or "all the main actors from this show aren't going to be on it anymore" situations, where there's a bunch of doom and gloom, but it all gets resolved before it really has any meaningful effect.
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-22-2019 at 01:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I really, really hope Disney and Sony come to some kind of agreement here in the next few months, because there is no good (creatively speaking) that can come from this. Like Cherokee Jack mentioned, you either have the fourth Spider-Man reboot in 20 years on the Sony end and a gaping, illogical plot hole in the MCU on the Disney end or you get a third Tom Holland Spider-Man movie that has zero connections or elements that the previous movies had, which is just weird as fuck, on the Sony end while still having the gaping, illogical plot hole in the MCU on the Disney end. So either outcome completely sucks.

Though at least the post-credit scene from Far From Home gives Marvel kind of an out: there can just be a throwaway line about how once "the kid's" identity became public, Nick Fury put him into hiding so that every supervillain in the world wasn't gunning for him. It's not ideal, and Spider-Man/Peter Parker disappearing from the MCU is going to suck no matter what, but it's about as good of a way to explain it as any.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2334
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-22-2019 at 05:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What a great thing to do for the fans!

Money surely trumps all.

Fuck Trump.

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 980
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-22-2019 at 06:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'm with Cam on this one. You've got a formula that works ... ride it out and make the money. There is plenty to go around. You fuck with it and you might have a Last Jedi on your hands.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-23-2019 at 06:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's definitely in both of their best interests to work something out; Sony may be drunk off of finally doing their own successful Spider-Man with Into the Spiderverse, but their track record with Spidey... although probably more accurate to say their out of touch expectations as the Garfield ones did make money... hasn't been all that good. The Holland films while pretty good, have certainly enjoyed a bump from the MCU, and what's more is that they likely also provide them with a bit of a safety net... ie a bad Spidey film standing on it's own could kill the franchise, on the contrary a bad Spidey film with ties to the MCU and how it fits into the rest of the their patchwork universe goes a long way towards making people want to give it another look.

That's not to say that I don't think Marvel maybe didn't get greedy... asking 50% was probably a stretch when rumours had it they were getting about 5% before is quite the jump; especially when you've gotta wonder how added on licenses get cut up... like for example does Sony get the toy and T-shirt money or does Marvel get a big cut of that (I honestly don't know as there were toys for kids done by I think Hasbro, but there were also movie tie in Marvel Legends more adult collector toys done too, which is the same line that the rest of the Marvel stuff is done through, and they routinely mix in movie designs and comic designs)

It also begs the question of how much of a dick does Marvel want to be on fighting Sony over every character they might want to use going forwards... like they get the Spider-man characters but how does this play out with derivative characters... For example, Miles Morales is "A" Spider-Man, but his origin is unique from Peter's, his first appearance was not in a core Spider-man book, and he's being used in non-Spider-man books as well... Remember what happened with Quicksilver; Marvel could use him because of his Avengers ties despite his first appearance being in an X-men comic... Or how would it work with like a Venom character... Could Sony only use facets of the character as they appeared in Spider-Man comics, but anything that came out of any of the other titles Venom appeared in could be off limits. I guess it all comes down to how the contracts were written years ago... but that's the kinda shit that Marvel could be a dick about and tie up Spidey production for a long time over.

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1935
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 8-23-2019 at 02:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As I understand, Disney didn’t just want a 50% cut of revenue, they wanted to split expenses too, as in a 50/50 split on financing and revenue. Doesn’t seem unreasonable when they could make the case that it’s their studio and the MCU tie-in that revived a franchise that was all but dead.

Regarding merchandising, I read somewhere that Sony sold those rights back to Marvel in 2011, so all Sony has at this point is movie rights. And regarding non-Parker Spider-Men, that’s all encompassed by Sony’s rights. I remember the Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch issue being debated over their history and which side they were more tied to, and in that case a deal was struck that allowed them to be used by both companies with certain conditions (and in a way they also settled it by Fox never really doing anything with SW and Marvel killing off Quicksilver in AoU). But Miles, like Venom, is clearly a part of the Spider-Man world and would be exclusive to Sony.

Figure this shit out, Disney and Sony. I don’t give a shit which obscenely rich company gets a little bit more obscenely rich, but not finding some sort of arrangement is just going to fuck up both franchises to different extents.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 8-23-2019 at 04:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Also part of the agreement about Scarlett and Quick is that they could not be referred to as mutants. Actually the term "Mutant" couldn't be used by any Marvel property (TV or Movie) prior to the sale of Fox.

ETA: I think there is a list of characters that the rights belong to Sony, that was negotiated on who is a Spider-Man related character... For example Kingpin was not, even though he has been a foe of Spidey in several storylines.

[Edited on 8-23-2019 by OOMike]

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3955
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-24-2019 at 04:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Even with the 50/50 on the budget agreement Sony would be giving out a huge piece of the pie compared to the original deal.The movies can only make so much money and after the success of Venom, Sony is probably confident they can muster something up that might not be as a critically acclaimed as an MCU movie but still more profitable for them since they keep everything. Especially since they still have Holland under contract.

I hope they resolve it and I'm betting they will before Holland's current contract runs out.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top