The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Super Mario Maker 2
DriftThroughTime
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1222
Registered 4-25-2005
Location LA

Mood:

posted on 7-2-2019 at 05:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Super Mario Maker 2

Alright, so who's a Maker here?

I thought it'd be cool to start a thread for all the Mario Makers out there, now that Super Mario Maker 2 is out. I'd love to see some of your levels, share some design philosophy, and get some feedback on my own levels.

So who's in?

Maker ID:OGM 5XP LDG (Meowburt)
First level of mine you should try:"Head in the Clouds" - 9KY VOV BXG
Philosophy: I try for levels that could feel like they're from an existing Mario game, but with a little extra something. If I could, I'd make the Mario equivalent of Sonic Mania.

EricOMac
The Rowdy One

Posts 2909
Registered 2-9-2003
Location Near Chapel Hill

Mood:

posted on 7-2-2019 at 09:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Iím in. When I get home Iíll share my maker ID and my one created level.

VOTE!

Winner of a lot of wrestling drafts.

ďIn times of crisis, the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers.Ē

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   EricOMac 's Aim
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4565
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 7-3-2019 at 04:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just bought a Switch and picked up MM2 and Odyssey; I've been racking up the hours on Odyssey more than MM2, but once I jump into that and make some levels I'll be happy to join in.
EricOMac
The Rowdy One

Posts 2909
Registered 2-9-2003

Mood:

posted on 7-3-2019 at 06:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My Maker ID: X8M-24P-06G
First (And Only so far) Level You Should Try: Pirate Panic (RG8-J71-TFG)
This level is a re-creation of the first level from DKC2, with a clear condition added in. Itís a fair level, encourages exploration, and makes sure you are never soft locked.

I enjoyed your level Drift, made sure to go back and get WR. Iím going to try out more.

VOTE!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   EricOMac 's Aim
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2494
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 7-3-2019 at 07:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The game is fantastic. Iíve been single-playering story mode and Endless challenge for the past 2 days.

10/10

DriftThroughTime
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1222
Registered 4-25-2005
Location LA

Mood:

posted on 7-3-2019 at 07:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EricOMac
My Maker ID: X8M-24P-06G
First (And Only so far) Level You Should Try: Pirate Panic (RG8-J71-TFG)
This level is a re-creation of the first level from DKC2, with a clear condition added in. Itís a fair level, encourages exploration, and makes sure you are never soft locked.

I enjoyed your level Drift, made sure to go back and get WR. Iím going to try out more.

Nice work! I left a comment there. I'm not a great artist, but for using the controller only, it ain't half bad.

I look forward to more of your levels!

Did anybody play Celeste or Towerfall Ascension? The creator has Maker levels too: JVY-3W4-11H.

[Edited on 7-3-2019 by DriftThroughTime]

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7688
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-5-2019 at 06:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Full Nintendo fanboy disclosure: I just can't get into Super Mario Maker. On paper, it sounds like something that I would absolutely love, but I bought the first game on the Wii U and got bored with it after a month or two. It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly why that is, but I think it's that once the novelty of making my own levels wore off, there really wasn't much else in the game that I was super into.

With that said, it sounds like Super Mario Maker 2 has a whole bunch of stuff that the first game didn't, so I might change my tune if I played it. But I just can't see myself taking the $60 plunge on this one.

EricOMac
The Rowdy One

Posts 2909
Registered 2-9-2003

Mood:

posted on 7-5-2019 at 08:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Full Nintendo fanboy disclosure: I just can't get into Super Mario Maker. On paper, it sounds like something that I would absolutely love, but I bought the first game on the Wii U and got bored with it after a month or two. It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly why that is, but I think it's that once the novelty of making my own levels wore off, there really wasn't much else in the game that I was super into.

With that said, it sounds like Super Mario Maker 2 has a whole bunch of stuff that the first game didn't, so I might change my tune if I played it. But I just can't see myself taking the $60 plunge on this one.

I wasnít a huge SMM1 fan either. I enjoyed watching others play, but I couldnít do it.

SMM2 is different. So many things you can do. Endless challenge, multiplayer co-op and versus, story mode, builder mode, and there are legitimately awesome levels out there that arenít stupid ridiculous hard.

Iíd encourage you to take a flyer on it if youíre a Mario guy.

VOTE!

EricOMac
The Rowdy One

Posts 2909
Registered 2-9-2003

Mood:

posted on 7-6-2019 at 12:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Double post: new level!

Name: Fiery Furnace
Level Code: 4DD-6S6-YSF
Inspiration/explanation: This took inspiration from another DKC2 level (Toxic Tower, although itís named after a different DKC2 level). This is a tough platforming level, trying to get to the top of each section before the lava rises and envelopes you.

VOTE!

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11684
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 1-5-2020 at 08:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Drift, I went through and played most of your levels. Fun stuff!

And Eric, I played both of your levels and Fiery Furnace really gave me a hard time. I'm terrible at wall jumping! That's something I definitely need to practice, but I did feel pretty accomplished when I was able to beat this one.

I just got the Switch with MM2 for Christmas, and just made my first level.

Maker ID: DY7-NQC-X6G (Ĺendless)

Level name: Half Endless Introduction
Course ID: J0T-J9Y-VCG
About: It's a "simple" SMW level, but not easy. No powerups, no hidden enemies, just three pink coin sections with a recycling checkpoint system to save your progress (a spiny section, a spike section, and a thwomp section). This was a tough one to clear three times in order to upload. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

EricOMac
The Rowdy One

Posts 2909
Registered 2-9-2003

Mood:

posted on 1-8-2020 at 11:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
Drift, I went through and played most of your levels. Fun stuff!

And Eric, I played both of your levels and Fiery Furnace really gave me a hard time. I'm terrible at wall jumping! That's something I definitely need to practice, but I did feel pretty accomplished when I was able to beat this one.

I just got the Switch with MM2 for Christmas, and just made my first level.

About: It's a "simple" SMW level, but not easy. No powerups, no hidden enemies, just three pink coin sections with a recycling checkpoint system to save your progress (a spiny section, a spike section, and a thwomp section). This was a tough one to clear three times in order to upload. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Iíll add you and check this out. Thanks for playing my levels. FF was tough to upload...wall jumping also isnt my forte.

VOTE!

EricOMac
The Rowdy One

Posts 2909
Registered 2-9-2003

Mood:

posted on 1-11-2020 at 09:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

Holy crap. This level was incredibly difficult.

Just getting to CP1 took time. After that, each section was varying degrees of difficult. Thwomps was the easiest. I was able to cheese the spiny section a little but hitting the turn block of the spiny above the first and jumping back to the platform. Was able to spin jump on the stacked munchers/spiny to the top platform and spin jump off the 1up block to the top row of spinies. Not too difficult once I figured it out.

Then then yellow pipe.

I found a little cheese that saved my sanity. The turn block releasing that first muncher and allowing an easier jump to the first turn block platform. Then, I got so frustrated with Toadette that I switched to Luigi. Maybe itís just the placebo effect, but i feel Luigi is a better jumper and has a better hit box.

I tried the intended strat and making precision jumps to each platform but just couldnít do it. I decide to try jumping between the first spikes and then jumping in the one tile gap between the spike and the muncher. Every time I tried I hit something. I finally decided I was going to abandon that strat after one more attempt. Low and behold, I feel through to the bottom. After a careful step off and fall back to the left, I cleared the section and got my third coin.

I almost died to the Galoomba. And i would have quit in frustration if i had! Lol.

I loved this level and definitely feel like I accomplished something noteworthy by beating it. I hope Ryu or GPB gets a hold of it. Until then, Suck It Rest of the World! First clear WR!

Now trying your second level. You must be some kind of fantastic player to be able to clear these.

VOTE!

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11684
Registered 12-16-2008

posted on 1-12-2020 at 12:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yup, you found the "small bits of cheese" I mentioned in the level description. I probably couldn't have cleared the level without using them. That was my first attempt at building a level so it's more of a rough draft than a cohesive course, which is where things like the thwomp section being so much simpler than the other two, and the cheese, comes in.

My second level is the one I'm actually proud of making (and clearing). Just a warning, this one did take me about two hours to clear. I'm not an excellent player by any means (didn't have SMM1 and hadn't really played any Mario since childhood, just started playing SMM2 a few weeks ago), it's just that after trying over and over to clear a level, eventually, it just all lines up.

For anyone who might want to play it, the course ID is QTL-PSL-S0H

Also, I'm still making up my mind on my Maker name (right now it's MATTE), so don't be surprised if it's something different the next time I post here with a level.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2494
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 1-12-2020 at 01:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
niiiiice nod to perfect dark
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11684
Registered 12-16-2008

posted on 1-13-2020 at 12:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ok, so I used the blueprints of my first level that I posted here and expanded on it (a lot of expansion) to create a more cohesive level. Things that are similar to the original: a somewhat difficult path to the first checkpoint before starting the pink coin sections, three pink coin sections featuring a different obstacle theme in each, a recycling checkpoint system to save your coin progress, plenty of challenging and precise jumps, no powerups (sorry!). Things that are different from the original: sections are longer and require more attention to detail, theming is a lot prettier, the difficulty is ramped up, didn't notice any cheese.

I spent several hours building this one and a couple more went into clearing it (two checkpoints again, so I had to clear the three coin sections back-to-back-to-back three separate times which drove me to the brink of insanity). I'd love to get some plays on it; and don't feel like you need to clear it to give any feedback. I don't expect anyone here to spend hours upon hours playing one of my levels like I had to do to upload it. Just check out each coin section and give them a couple attempts to see what they're about. I might actually try to get one of the bigger streamers to play this one sometime (just gotta figure out how to get it on their radar).

Level name: The Ringer
Course ID: 5JN-BXG-XWF

I think my next project will be to make a fun level that isn't hard as dicks.

[Edited on 1-13-2020 by Matte]

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11684
Registered 12-16-2008

posted on 1-20-2020 at 10:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Double post for a new level.

Name: Rock Solid
ID: MYM-VW6-0NG

Tough level, but I do think it's easier than my first two. The first jump is a pain in the dick (try to jump right as you touch the coin), but after that, it's mostly just some mildly tight precision stuff. Each section is quick with a checkpoint after it.

EricOMac
The Rowdy One

Posts 2909
Registered 2-9-2003

Mood:

posted on 1-24-2020 at 03:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Double post for a new level.

Name: Rock Solid
ID: MYM-VW6-0NG

Tough level, but I do think it's easier than my first two. The first jump is a pain in the dick (try to jump right as you touch the coin), but after that, it's mostly just some mildly tight precision stuff. Each section is quick with a checkpoint after it.

Once I get some free time I am going to devote an afternoon to beating your levels. They are fun, yet difficult, but they are making me a better Mario player and thatís awesome. Iím also going to get to work on my two level ideas that Iíve been sitting on for a few months: 1)a level based on the Community Season 3 episode Remedial Chaos Theory (likely a red coin level) and 2) Journey to the Fraternal Fortress, a prequel level in homage to Grand Poo World 2ís Level, detailing how Luigi found the Fraternal Fortress and conquered it. (Yes, this level has deep lore!)

VOTE!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top