The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stranger Things Season 3
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 7-1-2019 at 08:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Stranger Things Season 3

This Thursday it's back! Eleven gets to act like a normal kid! There's a mall AND a fair! Sheriff Hopper has to figure out how to hide his Hellboy-sculpted body! Billy's fabulous mullet might be evil! Steve is going to have to figure out why he's a high school graduate still hanging out with kids! Finn Wolfhard gets to double down on having a totally bad-ass name this year! And we're adding Cary Elwes this season because it's the 80's!

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 7-1-2019 at 09:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Also, New Coke!

Don't Mess With Texas

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2333
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 7-11-2019 at 11:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It was great, I will definitely say that. Unfortunately, the ending with

SPOILERS!!!

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Billy dying didn’t have too much of an emotional impact with me, and his sister crying over him just seemed a bit too much, for how little she seemed to give a shit about him throughout the season. I know, they wanted to give him some sympathy with his troubled past, but it didn’t hit for me.

Hopper’s death, however, was well done, he proved himself as an badass, if not slightly oafish world savior, and him and the mother had fun chenistry throughout.

The poor Russian guys death, however, was heartbreaking. Him and the one dude who plays the brother-in-law in Fleabag had amazingly fun chemistry, and I wish there could have been more of that.

Also, episode 2 had one of my favorite moments with El and Billy’s sister shopping while “Material Girl” played in the background.

Nothing is more 80’s than this show. Nothing.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-14-2019 at 10:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just finished up season three today and needless to say, SPOILERS AHEAD.

So yeah, I really have mixed feelings about this season. First, the good:

-I loved the look of everything. As a bit of a cinematography nerd, the way this season looked with all the neon colors, was awesome. Definitely gave it a distinct feel when compared to the first two seasons.

-They must have really upped the special effects budget this year, as the Mind Flayer looked great for the most part and was basically movie-quality. Compared to the CGI on the Demogorgon in the first season, you can really see how far things have come.

-I liked the "twist" of Robin being gay, as her and Steve ending up together just seemed too obvious and cliche. So I'm glad to see they went in a different direction with their relationship and subverted expectations.

Okay, now on to what I didn't like:

-My biggest complaint with this season is that they basically turned Hopper (and to a lesser extent, some of the other characters) into a cartoon character. It may have been less obvious to me if I hadn't re-watched the first two seasons before starting the new one, but Hopper went from this flawed, kind of tragic guy to a boorish, jealous moron who basically spent the whole season either yelling at people or beating them up. And I get we got a little bit of that with him and Eleven in season two, but that was portrayed more realistically, whereas here it just seems like they amped his character up to 11 (no pun intended).

-Going along with that, I thought this season got a bit too cartoony and over the top with the storyline. When you've got Dustin and a sassy 10 year-old rescuing Steve and his friend from a secret underground Russian base, I feel more like I'm watching Home Alone or something instead Stranger Things. And again, this probably stood out to me more because I just re-watched the first two seasons, but those were much more grounded and realistic (for a sci-fi/fantasy show) compared to season three. Plus I thought the humor felt more forced.

Overall I didn't hate this season (because even when Stranger Things isn't great, it's still pretty good), but as a whole it was probably my least favorite of the three. I'd probably go 7/10 if I'm feeling generous.

Also, a few other things to touch on:

-I'm still not totally sure what exactly the Mind Flayer is. In season two it was just like a shadow monster in the upside down that was able to possess Will, but this season it had a physical form and was turning people into zombies who melt when killed. And is it the big bad or not?

-As I've seen discussed elsewhere, who exactly is "the American" mentioned in the post-credits scene? Surely that was more than just a throwaway line.

-I'm kind of assuming Hopper isn't really dead. I'm not sure how he would have survived the explosion, but as we all know, if we don't actually see them die and/or see the body, they ain't dead. Also, I'm not quite sure why he didn't run back to the room that Joyce was in before she exploded the gate-opening device, because it seemed like he had time.

niles81
Showstopper

Posts 718
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-14-2019 at 11:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon

-As I've seen discussed elsewhere, who exactly is "the American" mentioned in the post-credits scene? Surely that was more than just a throwaway line.

-I'm kind of assuming Hopper isn't really dead. I'm not sure how he would have survived the explosion, but as we all know, if we don't actually see them die and/or see the body, they ain't dead. Also, I'm not quite sure why he didn't run back to the room that Joyce was in before she exploded the gate-opening device, because it seemed like he had time.

Personally speaking - I assumed "The American" was Hopper.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 7-15-2019 at 12:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon

They didn't do the best job of visually representing it, but after he chucked that Russian goon into the machine, it started going haywire and spitting out lightning and stuff. That energy discharge was between Hopper and the room Joyce was in, so he couldn't get through.

Although, yes, I think we can all probably assume he's "the American" and got somehow transported back to Mother Russia. I wonder if the ambiguity there was so they could kill off the character if David Harbour needed to go make some sweet Hellboy franchise money, but that movie didn't do too well, so he'll likely be back.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-15-2019 at 01:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
They didn't do the best job of visually representing it, but after he chucked that Russian goon into the machine, it started going haywire and spitting out lightning and stuff. That energy discharge was between Hopper and the room Joyce was in, so he couldn't get through.

Aw okay, yeah I definitely didn't notice that then.

And I agree that the smart money is on Hopper being the American, but I thought I saw something online where someone from the show was kind of denying it was him? I could be 100% wrong about though, as it was something I saw before I had finished this season and kind of skimmed over, since I didn't want anything spoiled.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 7-22-2019 at 10:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We got not one, but two duets of the theme to the Neverending Story. That’s enough to cover any of the complaints I may have. Also, Robin was a solid addition to the cast, which, for a show consisting of 8 episodes a season and likely ending after the next one (read somewhere that the show runners only had four seasons planned for this, despite being a big hit).

Edited to add: also David Harbour (Hopper) is in the new Black Widow Movie as a character named Alexei. Too soon, Marvel. Too soon.

[Edited on 7-22-2019 by nOOb]

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top