The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Because an Internet Hat Can't Solve Everything
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 6-16-2019 at 08:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Because an Internet Hat Can't Solve Everything

It's no secret the internet and I aren't friends. For the last decade and a half I've fought tooth and nail with this demon for the sake of a better signal. And after years of struggling (not to mention a bit low level radiation from the internet hat, because that was actually a thing for all of two days), last year I finally had a breakthrough when I decided not to get cute and buy the best cable modem available, a wireless setup that encompassed my entire house (thanks to those little hub guys they sell now), and an ethernet switch to allow for proper gaming.

And everything worked great...up until a few months ago when the Division 2 came out and I noticed my gameplay was skipping around and being met with constant disconnects. At first I thought it was just "Day One" launch issues, and the fact it fixed itself briefly made me think that for a day. After two days of crap connection, I ran a Speed Test on my PC (which is wireless) and saw I was pulling in around 6-8 Mbps for my download speed. After they tried and true "unplugging and replugging" method, that fixed the issue, but briefly. Three days later it was garbage again and unplugging it did little. So I went onto Comcast's website and had them send a reset signal to my modem. Sure enough, after the signal went through, I was back to 60 Mbps on my wireless and moving well on my games.

So I stopped playing Division 2 about a month in because, well, it's hella boring after you beat the story, which meant I wasn't playing online anymore. While we noticed issues with Netflix, it usually came and went and never required action (except once). But last month I started up Final Fantasy XIV on my PS4, and after about a day playing, I noticed huge lag issues. So I ran a Speedtest on my PC, sure enough, back to 6. So I sent a reset signal and that fixed it. Then two days later, lag again. Reset signal sent, fixed. Every three or four days I'd send a reset signal and everything would be resolved for a bit, and then it'd happen again.

But now for the past four days I've been doing reset signals almost daily. And it works every time, but at some point the next day (never the same time), the connection slows and I'm sending another signal. Yesterday it was to the point where I sent two.

The question is what's more likely the culprit: the modem or Comcast? The fact that it's becoming more progressive of an issue usually points to hardware. But the problem only started around March, which was about a month removed from us getting ARCTIC DEATHSTORM 2019, as well as frequent amount of large snowfall. That and the fact that reset signals from Comcast, and not unplugging and plugging the device, solve the issue lean more towards them.

I don't know, you guys are the smart ones.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7709
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 6-27-2019 at 02:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Do you have an unlimited data plan that isn't actually unlimited? Seriously, this isn't just a phone issues. A lot of ISPs will slow things down if your download too much. Check out their terms of services to make sure. I know last year Comcast claimed to not do that anymore, but that could still be an issue.

If not...

Step 1) Plug a PC directly in to modem.

Step 2) Speed test

Step 3) Run things wired for as long as possible. If it craps out there, well it's either the modem and or your ISP. Call your ISP(I know, I know) and have them remotely ping the modem to see if it's working as it should. If your ISP doesn't own the modem, they will likely claim it is your modem. Because that will save a service call. You may have to swap out the modem before you will get a service call.

Step 4) If things work fine with a wired connection, follow this general rule: NEVER USE YOUR CABLE/DSL/FIBER modem's built in wireless...it's trash.

Step 5) Use a router made for gaming and test it out

OR....

If you have to use your cable/dsl/fiber modem for WiFi, change the settings. Even if you have a separate router, setting will likely need to be played with.

1st, if you have a separate modem and router, make sure that IF your modem supports WiFi it is turned off. No need to crowd up the all ready crowded air space.

If your wireless access point (modem and/or router) is dual band, try disabling one. Ideally for gaming you'd want to use the 5GHz band, but that may not work with your setup.

Try changing the channel your access point broadcasts on to a different channel manually. Some newer access points will automatically select the best choice for you based on the air space and signals in your home. This isn't always the best option for your devices. For example. Samsung phones and Tablets seem to like different channels. So the best channel will be what works best for the device furthest from your access point.

Also...if you feel up to it, check for firmware/driver updates for your wireless card, modem, router, switch, and extenders. Basically ever piece of the puzzle may have updated software that will help get things going.

Hope that helps.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 7-6-2019 at 03:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The problem got resolved because I decided to watch TV, which oddly enough I have not done since Game of Thrones ended, but Legion started back up, so the DVR had to be visited. And the quality of the picture was shit. Sure enough, every TV in the house had the same problem (which boggles my mind how I could go that long without watching live TV). So we had Comcast come out and, sure enough, the box they had buried in the back was filled with water and some of the cables had finally corroded. A bit of rewiring on their end and, sure enough, my internet is back to "useful when I need it to be" and, as far as I know, my TV works again (I'll be honest, I watched the first episode of Legion and completely forgot about TV in general since).

But also, all these are good suggestions and better than an internet hat for anyone who has issues in the future.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7709
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 7-16-2019 at 04:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
To be fair I’ve become so accustomed to people only having internet that I didn’t think to ask that rather simple question, “does your cable tv work as expected”.

Because yeah if you have both and both are crap, service call will be required.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top