The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Letís talk about Nintendo at E3
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2340
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 6-14-2019 at 07:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Letís talk about Nintendo at E3

So, that was pretty insane.

Luigiís Mansion 3 looked awesome, with the Gooigi and ghost bashing mechanics standing out the most. Looks like a real meaty experience , just like 2.

Animal Crossing being delayed is cool. More time in the oven is always gonna result in a better product.

Banjo smash announcement was excellent, well-done, and stuck true to the character and world of Banjo-Kazooie.

Astral Chain deserved spotlight, and it is looking to be a really good Platinum game.

Bayo 3 would have hurt Astro Chain, so Iím happy they have chosen to not show it yet. We know itíll be dope.

Lots of good eshop announcements, like the new contra.

Trial of Mana was a good reveal.

And, my lord, Breath of the Wildís sequel. Holy shit! That was ganondorfís corpse!!!

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8261
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 6-14-2019 at 05:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As a huge turbo nerd for Animal Crossing, I was pretty bummed to hear it would be delayed until next year. I know it isn't a bad thing, but still.

As far as the near future, you didn't list the thing I'm most amped about-- the Link's Awakening remake. I've never played that game. I never had it as a kid, and by the time I was old enough to buy my own games, I'd long since moved on from the Game Boy. It looks fantastic, and I'm very excited to snap it up when it comes out.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7518
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-16-2019 at 08:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
Banjo smash announcement was excellent, well-done, and stuck true to the character and world of Banjo-Kazooie.

The Banjo announcement was the best moment of Nintendo's presentation for me and if it's possible to mark out for video games like we do for wrestling, I 100% did for the video reveal of Banjo-Kazooie coming to Smash Bros. After years of hoping for Banjo to return to Nintendo in some way, shape, or form, it's kind of surreal that it's really happened. Now if only we can get the original N64 games or Rare Replay on the Switch.

quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
As far as the near future, you didn't list the thing I'm most amped about-- the Link's Awakening remake. I've never played that game. I never had it as a kid, and by the time I was old enough to buy my own games, I'd long since moved on from the Game Boy. It looks fantastic, and I'm very excited to snap it up when it comes out.

As someone who played the original Link's Awakening when I was a kid and then again a few years ago when I downloaded it on the 3DS, I'm definitely excited for the Switch remake. From the gameplay footage I've seen so far, it looks like they're staying really true to the original, though I'm sure there will be a good bit of new stuff added (also, I love the look of the game).

And speaking of Zelda, that teaser for the followup to Breath of the Wild was definitely unexpected. I liked the dark vibe it had and I'm thinking this next game is going to be the "Majora's Mask" to Breath of the Wild's "Ocarina of Time." But since this is a Zelda title, I'm not holding my breath for anything earlier than a late 2020 release.

All in all, I thought Nintendo had a pretty killer E3 showing this year and the Switch is looking stacked with releases over the next 12 months.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 6-17-2019 at 06:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I love Link's Awakening - I've probably played through it at least 5 times. Yet another reason for me to get a Switch.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7518
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-18-2019 at 06:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Since we're talking about Link's Awakening, I found a pretty cool video on YouTube recently that talked about the game's history and why it was (at the time at least) a bit of a departure from the other Zelda games. Even as a 12 year old playing it for the first time, I knew there was some weird stuff going on with that game...Link can jump? There's side-scrolling parts mixed in with the traditional top-down gameplay? There's freaking enemies from the Mario series?!

But apparently the game started as an unofficial project by some of the game designers at Nintendo, who were working on it during non-work hours, but then it eventually got the official green light from Nintendo after they'd been messing around with it for a little while. They also figured that since it was a Gameboy release, they could get away with including some wackier gameplay elements, and thus Link's Awakening ended up being something a bit different from the NES/SNES games. Miyamoto also had no involvement with the game until towards the very end of it's production, which is another reason why Link's Awakening has kind of a different feel to it.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

DriftThroughTime
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1222
Registered 4-25-2005
Location LA

Mood:

posted on 7-2-2019 at 06:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That video was excellent, Goon. I think it hit our "recommendations" section of YouTube around the same time. What a surprise!

Link's Awakening will always be my favorite Zelda game. It's definitely a Link to the Past sequel. I always love a first sequel, because it's the first and only time a developer can surprise returning fans with a first "perversion" of the formula. It's probably why I like Majora's Mask so much, too.

I do wonder if they'll add anything new besides the Dungeon Maker aspect. I wouldn't mind if they kept everything the same - which seems to be the case so far, tile for tile - but I can play that game with my eyes closed at this point.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top