The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Title in 11 hours.... speculation?
thestoryofmikeb
Fella

Posts 439
Registered 11-28-2007
Location Albany, NY

Mood: hopeful

posted on 5-20-2019 at 02:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
New Title in 11 hours.... speculation?

I'm sure that there are already lots of sites on the interwebz speculating about this... but not thread yet on OO.

Lets see if we can have some good guesses in the next 11 hours?

For me...

Most LIKELY:
-Television Champion - WCW and ECW sucessfully pulled this off, with great success, but I'm not aware of WWE ever doing so. in the current mix of brand split and guys jumping around each week, it could be used as a REASON to let a guy (or gal) jump around. Crap.. this means they're going to call it the "Wild Card Championship" aren't they...? CRAP.

What I'd HOPE for:
-Triple Threat Champion - I really think this could be interesting, but would require nuanced storytelling and the willingness for creative booking. Every match a 3 way, winner leaves with the belt. WAY back in the day i created this for the online fantasy fed I ran, but I've never seen it done successfully in a real fed.

"Is it too much to ask that the wrestling on my screen is fast paced, entertaining, interesting, and at least a little bit LOGICAL???"

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   thestoryofmikeb 's Yahoo
ThePunisher
The Great One

Posts 3330
Registered 4-19-2003
Location Asheville, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-20-2019 at 02:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Since Mick Foley is revealing it, my guess is they might be bringing back the Hardcore Title. I do like the idea of a Television Title, though.

[Edited on 5-20-2019 by ThePunisher]

Wait 'Til Next Year - The best baseball podcast on the 'Net!

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3993
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 5-20-2019 at 03:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It has to be something they can bounce across all the brands. RAW and SD have enough titles as it is so making another exclusive one for them is pointless.
Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1957
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 5-20-2019 at 05:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Meh, I hope this is just a set up for some sort of angle and not really the start of another belt because we donít need any more. Any scenario I can think of ends with the belt being rendered meaningless either because WWE canít/wonít present it well, or because itís the kind of thing theyíd quickly lose interest in and forget about.

Being that itís Foley, the logical guess would be the return of the Hardcore title or some equivalent, but WWE struggled with presenting a Hardcore division even back when they werenít concerned with keeping Mattel happy and presenting a PG product.

What else could it be? Six man tag team belts? Thereís literally one legitimate trio on each show, and one of those two just got squashed by one man last night. The other has one injured member and one thatís currently the WWE champion.

TV title? It had its place once upon a time, but in this day and age when you have the IC title and US title routinely being defended on free TV, is that place still there?

Cruiserweight tag belts? Even the main cruiserweight title barely ever gets off the PPV pre-shows. And if you think a cruiser tag division is a good idea anyway, introduce those on 205. Cruisers havenít had a regular presence on Raw since Enzo was around.

A womenís secondary singles title? I guess this would be the least crappy option, but is the womenís division big enough (and does it get enough airtime) to support three singles titles plus tag belts?

There are ideas that could be fun in theory, but sadly I donít think any that I would trust WWE not to fuck up or just lose interest and abandon.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8276
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 5-20-2019 at 05:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Desperation Championship... ratings are at an all time low, so Vince thinks they need something-- anything-- to get a few extra eyes on the product, even if just for a week or two. It honestly wouldn't shock me one bit to find out they weren't certain what the new title will be, seven hours before airtime.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8868
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 5-20-2019 at 06:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Saw speculation about a "Legends Championship" which would presumably be something defended by old wrestlers and mostly in Saudi Arabia.

Goldberg vs Undertaker for the inaugural championship title fight.

TBD on whether this belt would be defended (slightly) more or less frequently than Brock did with his Universal title.

Don't Mess With Texas

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1957
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 5-20-2019 at 07:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
oh my god no thank you

I'm Cherokee Jack!

thestoryofmikeb
Fella

Posts 439
Registered 11-28-2007
Location Albany, NY

posted on 5-20-2019 at 07:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
Saw speculation about a "Legends Championship" which would presumably be something defended by old wrestlers and mostly in Saudi Arabia.

Goldberg vs Undertaker for the inaugural championship title fight.

TBD on whether this belt would be defended (slightly) more or less frequently than Brock did with his Universal title.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit. Didn't TNA try something like that with Booker T a free years back? Minus the infrequent defenses?

"Is it too much to ask that the wrestling on my screen is fast paced, entertaining, interesting, and at least a little bit LOGICAL???"

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   thestoryofmikeb 's Yahoo
First 9
The Great One

Posts 3993
Registered 1-22-2013

posted on 5-20-2019 at 07:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, but the TNA version made sense. It was in the middle of Main Event Mafia vs Young Lions feud and it was introduced as a vanity trophy for the MEM guys to lord over the younger wrestlers .It then became a victoy symbol for the young guys when AJ won it. When the MEM disbanded it became pointless but for it's few months it worked fine as a prop for the MEM.

Regarding WWE making one for the old guys. The idea of it is hilarious. A part time Championship for part timers thus oficially becoming it's own division.

[Edited on 5-20-2019 by First 9]

thestoryofmikeb
Fella

Posts 439
Registered 11-28-2007
Location Albany, NY

posted on 5-20-2019 at 08:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by First 9
Yeah, but the TNA version made sense. It was in the middle of Main Event Mafia vs Young Lions feud and it was introduced as a vanity trophy for the MEM guys to lord over the younger wrestlers .It then became a victoy symbol for the young guys when AJ won it. When the MEM disbanded it became pointless but for it's few months it worked fine as a prop for the MEM.

Regarding WWE making one for the old guys. The idea of it is hilarious. A part time Championship for part timers thus oficially becoming it's own division.

[Edited on 5-20-2019 by First 9]

Thanks for the refresher, I remember that now.

I can't see wwe actually pulling out a part time title for older legends. Too many details to work through

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10613
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Bouncebreak? YAY!

posted on 5-20-2019 at 08:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Extra-rare Punisher and MikeB sightings! wOOt!

I'm with Tex. It'll be an Old Farts/Legends belt they trot out once or twice a year for the benefit of the sheikhs and princes in the front-row reclining seats at the Saudi shows. With matches almost as exciting as the time on South Park when an elderly Philip croaked out "I think I just shit my pants" during a fart-duel with Terrance.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

ThePunisher
The Great One

Posts 3330
Registered 4-19-2003
Location Asheville, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-20-2019 at 08:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot

via GIPHY

Wait 'Til Next Year - The best baseball podcast on the 'Net!

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2735
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 5-20-2019 at 09:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can't wait for tonight's reveal of the new Wildcard Championship

OO's only mammal penguin

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12649
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 5-20-2019 at 09:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, they already made that green belt last year that they gave to Braun in Saudi Arabia.

The Blood Money Championship!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

Mood: Plotting

posted on 5-20-2019 at 09:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Doesn't matter what championship it is, Triple H will win it to add to his collection.

thestoryofmikeb
Fella

Posts 439
Registered 11-28-2007
Location Albany, NY

posted on 5-20-2019 at 09:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot

I guess it's nice to be missed and noticed?

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10613
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 5-20-2019 at 11:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Need more of the boys from Back In The Day to make appearances around here.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3061
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 5-20-2019 at 11:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I, for one, welcome a legends championship you old people hating bastards! Haha. In all seriousness though, if you removed the stench of Blood Money in the Desert from it, Goldberg vs Undertaker has a 100% chance of being fun.

You guys take this shit too seriously. Not every match has to be a technical classic. There is a reason people still go and see classic rock bands. Maybe The Rolling Stones arenít THE ROLLING STONES anymore but thereís nothing wrong with enjoying the spectacle. A legends title would be all about the spectacle and, who knows, maybe once Goldberg and Taker ping pong it around weíll get a random Steamboat match. Enjoy these guys while you can. You just never know what can happen.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10613
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 5-21-2019 at 12:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This is the company though that gave Becky Lynch only fifteen minutes across two matches in total at MITB last night. What did DX vs Kane/Taker get at the previous Saudi show, a full-half hour of lumbering & klutzy old guy-ism? Is anyone out there really clamouring for even more Legends matches, after what we saw of Kurt Angle's farewell series earlier this year?

I'd suggest it would be OK to do the occasional Legends bit in place of the goober skits and doofus matches. WWE being WWE though they're obviously going to do the Legends, keep all of the filler garbage (just because dopey in charge thinks it's funny), and then deduct the available time in the ring from those who are capable right now, today, of putting on a classic match. Anyone got some spare Ucey Hot they can lend me? My twig & berries are feeling a bit cold at the moment, Vince.

[Edited on 5/20/2019 by Paddlefoot]

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3993
Registered 1-22-2013

posted on 5-21-2019 at 12:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not that I completely disagree DK but the problem with the old guys is when they veer off from just playing the classics. Undertaker is fine as a 5 to 10 minute attraction, but the matches with Reigns and Triple H were painful because he was trying to have 15-20 minute clinic instead of keeping short and sweet.

Goldberg in his 16-17 run was ideally booked but guys like Taker, HHH, and others still try to go for an ''epic'' match.

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1957
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 5-21-2019 at 12:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well it seems that the old people hate can be put to the side for the time being, as PWInsider is reporting that it will indeed be a ď24/7 Championship.Ē

For those of you who might be too young to remember the early 2000s, Crash Holly introduced the ď24/7 RuleĒ to the Hardcore championship, meaning that heíd be defending it all day, any day and anywhere. This resulted in a few months of genuinely fun bits where people like the Mean Street Posse and the Headbangers would try to jump Crash in hotels and airports and such with referees in tow trying to steal the title. It also allowed for big (at the time) moments such as Mike Awesome stealing the Hardcore title backstage in MSG as one of the opening shots in the WCW Invasion angle.

By 2002 it was reduced where guys like Steven Richards and Tommy Dreamer were holding the title, and every episode of Raw (and a lot of house shows) would include a segment in the ring where a parade of jobbers (think Shawn Stasiak, Justin Credible, K-Kwik and the like) would all hit the ring and pin each other for the title before the original champ would inevitably get the last pin and run away with the belt. Around this time GM Eric Bischoff called off the 24/7 rule, and shortly thereafter the Hardcore title was unified with the IC title and never recognized as a championship again (though it did make a short return as a prop for Foley and Edge in the run-up to ECW One Night Stand 2006).

So thatís about my most optimistic view, if this is indeed what the new title will be. A little bit of fun comedy stuff before it eventually (probably quickly) descends into repetitiveness and maybe some outright confusion. Whee.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10613
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 5-21-2019 at 12:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If true then it's good. Be an opportunity to get the women involved too. As much as I dislike Nia Jax in general there's some good value in her taking the belt away from someone like Heath Slater, holding onto it like grim death for a couple of months, then losing it to a McIntyre type. TV/24-7 titles have always been a lot of fun for the fans (especially if brawling for one breaks out in the stands) and make for some really of good televised spots, both of which are "reasons" enough in management's view for WWE not to have done anything like this for fifteen fucking years.

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 984
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-21-2019 at 01:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If they go 24/7, then let it be like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo80cGTXS5s

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

Katie Vick killer
The Rowdy One

Posts 2260
Registered 8-25-2003
Location w/ Randall

Mood: Chin locked

posted on 5-21-2019 at 04:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'd like to see some stakes added to this. For example, if you can hold the title for 30 days you can get a IC/US title match or if you can hold it for 60 days get a World title match.

Even the current champ gets the number 30 spot in the Rumble. That could lead to so some fun shenanigans backstage.

Wickedfrost
I LOVE RVD

Posts 943
Registered 2-14-2006

Mood: Awesome!

posted on 5-22-2019 at 03:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie Vick killer
I'd like to see some stakes added to this. For example, if you can hold the title for 30 days you can get a IC/US title match or if you can hold it for 60 days get a World title match.

Even the current champ gets the number 30 spot in the Rumble. That could lead to so some fun shenanigans backstage.

Or an upsize at the slushie machine.

And my father said
When I was younger
Hard times breed better men

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top