The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Avengers: Endgame (Full Spoilers Edition)
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7720
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 5-6-2019 at 09:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So new Spider-Man FFH trailer has confirmed the multiverse. So pretty sure that a) that’s how we get the X-Men, and b) they can bring “back” Steve, Nat, and Tony if they REALLY want to.
First 9
The Great One

Posts 3958
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 5-6-2019 at 10:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The presence of Mysterio makes me feel there's a ''but'' coming. After all the shit they got for the bait and switch with the Mandarin, I don't think they'd do that with the idea of a multiverse but I feel they'll be some catch.

Multiverse theory is a neat solution for the X-Men though. They can have a neat little parallel with how much the Avengers are loved in their universe, especially after recent events compared to the hate and disdain the X-Men have to put up with.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7515
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-7-2019 at 07:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by First 9
The presence of Mysterio makes me feel there's a ''but'' coming.

Yeah, I'd say it's 50/50 on whether the multiverse turns out to be legit or if it's just some kind of illusion/ruse done by Mysterio. Definitely puts an interesting twist on Far From Home though that none of us were expecting.

Though I will say that the idea of doing a multiverse makes me a little nervous. Obviously it would be an easy way to introduce the X-Men into the MCU, but I just feel like once you start getting into multiple universes and alternate versions of characters, that's when things can become a convoluted mess. I'll trust that Marvel Studios knows what they're doing, but I just hope that ten years from now we don't have like three different Spider-Mans and a Tony Stark from an alternate Earth running around.

MayhemNX
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1715
Registered 11-18-2006
Location Web City

Mood: Bitey

posted on 5-8-2019 at 07:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think with the multiverse thing/Mysterio what they could (or what I hope) they end up doing is similar to Spider-Men. Maybe Mysterio isn't lying about being from another Earth. Fury seems to be smart enough about that sort of thing to know better if he was, but his intentions are total garbage. Either the Elementals are fakes, possibly his illusions, or he's in league with them. Or possibly the threat is real and he's using them to kill Spider-Man in this universe for whatever reasons (obsessive, hatred, what have you.) Maybe to boost himself up as the greatest "hero" ever, giving himself a cool origin story in this universe to reap the rewards Booster Gold style almost. "I failed to save the hero here, but I'll live up to his legacy!"
mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

Mood: 20% cooler

posted on 5-10-2019 at 09:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I hope they go a different direction than the obvious for Mysterio. Fans of the comics can already see a twist coming. The MCU can do something different with him if they want. I haven't kept up with comics in years, but I seem to remember a story arc in Daredevil wherein it's hinted that Mysterio is more than a special effects guy.
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12617
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 5-10-2019 at 03:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A twist on the character would be interesting. I highly enjoyed the big twist on the Skrulls in the Captain Marvel movies. That was very unexpected and they did a great job with it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
janerd75
The Man

Posts 5925
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

Mood: Donkey Show

posted on 5-14-2019 at 06:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, this here just towel thwapped me right in the tenders.

The MCU is done for a bit DC. Wayment after your Joaquin Joker Elseworlds movie awards season grasp thingie for a goddamned minute, get your shit creatively right, and then clean house for the next ten years. Marvel shot their wad. Their time is up, your time is now. Please, DC. Please....

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 5-16-2019 at 08:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark markham
I hope they go a different direction than the obvious for Mysterio. Fans of the comics can already see a twist coming. The MCU can do something different with him if they want. I haven't kept up with comics in years, but I seem to remember a story arc in Daredevil wherein it's hinted that Mysterio is more than a special effects guy.

If it's "Guardian Devil" by Kevin Smith (and that's the most obvious one), then any hint of Mysterio being anything more was ultimately just Mysterio being Mysterio... although weirdly enough there was some kind of afterlife involved to bring him back a few years later.

My guess is that like most super hero movies the story is going to be about the hero (no duh)... In that while writing it they probably gave a lot of thought to what they wanted to say about Peter, and what kind of journey he's on; then they usually give some thought to the villain and how they can work with that story (this is in part why say Venom being shoe horned into Spider-Man 3 sucked so bad).

Why I think this applies to what's going on with Peter here is that he's looking for his mentor again, and Mysterio kind of steps into that role... But ultimately the story is about Peter probably realizing that he's all he needs, kinda becoming his own man... I think that means that Mysterio has to be a liar; be it with words or illusions that's spot on to his character (I suspect the other villains are also just illusions of a sort).

I think the multiverse thing is just a ruse... at least insofar as Mysterio goes; it may well be that we get some kind of post-credit spot that suggests otherwise.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12617
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 5-16-2019 at 04:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
quote:
Originally posted by mark markham

If it's "Guardian Devil" by Kevin Smith (and that's the most obvious one), then any hint of Mysterio being anything more was ultimately just Mysterio being Mysterio... although weirdly enough there was some kind of afterlife involved to bring him back a few years later.

I remember that. That's where Mysterio kills himself at the end of the story right?

Was it afterlife weirdness that brought him back, or was it retconned to show that even though it was written that there was no Mysterio illusion, there was in fact a Mysterio illusion?

RE: the movie villains:
I was at Target the other day, and saw Legos and Funko Pop figures that had both the water elemental and fire elemental we saw in the trailer. They were named Hydro-Man and Molten-Man. So there we go!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8842
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 5-16-2019 at 05:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
RE: the movie villains:
I was at Target the other day, and saw Legos and Funko Pop figures that had both the water elemental and fire elemental we saw in the trailer. They were named Hydro-Man and Molten-Man. So there we go!

IS IT SO HARD TO NAME THEM HYDRO-PERSON AND MOLTEN-PERSON??11!!!!

via GIPHY

Don't Mess With Texas

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 5-17-2019 at 07:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey Salmon; yes that's the one where he shot himself (with a nice nod to the Kraven's Last Hunt storyline too); I haven't read the specific return issues as it fell outside of my Spidey collecting days but it sounds like he was brought back via magical otherwordly forces and that the original fake out story still stands as it was written.... I think his return was probably going to go somewhere but then Marvel pulled the infamous "One More Day" soft reboot and it's likely plans like that were derailed as Quenten Beck has been pretty much back as Mysterio since then minus any references to his "death".
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7515
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-22-2019 at 07:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Since we don't really have a MCU-dedicated thread, I just thought I'd mention here that Daniel Bruhl (Baron Zemo) and Emily VanCamp (Sharon Carter) have apparently signed on for the Falcon/Winter Solider show that's going to be airing on Disney+ next year. And it's funny, because I watched Civil War a few days before seeing Endgame and mentioned to my wife how I was kind of bummed that we've never seen any more of Baron Zemo in the MCU, so I'm glad to hear he'll be resurfacing.

There's also been some discussion/rumors I've seen on Reddit that we're eventually going to get a Thunderbolts movie, with a team consisting of some of the lesser-used villains like Zemo, Abomination, Ghost, and Justin Hammer.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 5-22-2019 at 10:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how I'd feel about them using Zemo again... I mean to clarify Disney/MCU has a fantastic track record so they have my utmost faith in them; it's just that for as great as a villain as Zemo is, in the MCU his story arc was just so perfect... I mean he essentially won, and I think his deleting his voice mail at the end of Civil war was kind of his acknowledgement that he'd hung up his guns.

In saying that if you are going to run with Falcon-Captain America and Bucky the story should very much be about them, so having someone familiar along for the ride means they can devote more time to the duo, especially when they already kinda have history with the Zemo.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12617
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 5-22-2019 at 04:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
There's also been some discussion/rumors I've seen on Reddit that we're eventually going to get a Thunderbolts movie, with a team consisting of some of the lesser-used villains like Zemo, Abomination, Ghost, and Justin Hammer.

I'd be all in for that. A Thunderbolts movie would also be an easy way to debut new villains to the MCU without having them become fodder for our heroes.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7515
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-22-2019 at 07:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
I'm not sure how I'd feel about them using Zemo again... I mean to clarify Disney/MCU has a fantastic track record so they have my utmost faith in them; it's just that for as great as a villain as Zemo is, in the MCU his story arc was just so perfect... I mean he essentially won, and I think his deleting his voice mail at the end of Civil war was kind of his acknowledgement that he'd hung up his guns.

I agree that Zemo had a really good story arc in Civil War, but since he's a fairly prominent villain in the comics (and I like Daniel Bruhl as an actor), I just think it would be a bummer to only use him in the MCU once and then never see him again. And like you mentioned, I trust Marvel/Disney to find a good way to continue his story in the Falcon/Winter Soldier show.

quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
quote:
Originally posted by the goon

I'd be all in for that. A Thunderbolts movie would also be an easy way to debut new villains to the MCU without having them become fodder for our heroes.

Apparently the Leader (who I think was teased all the way back in The Incredible Hulk?) is going to be the villain. And all of this Thunderbolts talk has come from some guy on Twitter who apparently has been 100% correct about MCU spoilers in the past, including some stuff from Endgame, so a lot of people on Reddit are assuming the stuff he said about a Thunderbolts movie is legit.

And the thought of a Thunderbolts movie had never even crossed my mind up until now, but I definitely think it would work as a post-Endgame MCU franchise. The only problem is that you really can't do the "it's actually villains posing as heroes!" swerve that they did with the original comic, so I'd be curious to see what kind of plot they'd do.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12617
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 5-22-2019 at 11:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If the Leader is villain, perhaps that gives us another movie we can have Hulk in without Marvel worrying about Universal's distribution rights.

Not to mention. MCU still has Thunderbolt Ross still around - and he does become the Red Hulk in the comic and is a Thunderbolt at some point too.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1593
Registered 12-28-2010
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 5-23-2019 at 03:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If they do bring back the Leader for a Thunderbolts movie, that would have to be the biggest gap between appearances in the history of the MCU, right? I'm not doubting it or anything, just remarking on how interesting that would be.

I wonder if they could actually bring back Tim Blake Nelson for it. I'm sure he's moved on since "The Incredible Hulk" more than 10 years ago, but if you can get in on one of the most profitable and critically lauded film franchises of all time, why wouldn't you? I bet Terence Howard and Edward Norton periodically kick themselves over bowing out when they did.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12617
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 6-20-2019 at 12:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Endgame is being re-released next Friday in theaters with new footage at the end credits. Articles are suggesting it's a bid to beat Avatar as the biggest box-office draw of all space time, and reality (not to mention soul, power and mind)

quote:

Speaking with Screen Rant during an interview ahead of the release of Spider-Man: Far From Home, Feige said the run-time of the re-released Endgame will still "only" be three hours and one minute, meaning this secret new footage won't be too substantial. "[It's] not an extended cut, but there will be a version going into theaters with a bit of a marketing push with a few new things at the end of the movie." And, since Endgame didn't have a post-credits scene, this will certainly be worthwhile for fans. "If you stay and watch the movie, after the credits, there’ll be a deleted scene, a little tribute, and a few surprises. Which will be next weekend."

https://www.bustle.com/p/avengers-endgame-is-being-rereleased-with-brand-new-footage-18019583

[Edited on 6-19-2019 by salmonjunkie]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top