The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Televisions - Tell Me About Yours
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2511
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 4-22-2019 at 01:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Televisions - Tell Me About Yours

I'm a frugal man. If it ain't broke don't fix it as how I've handled my tv situation. I however have come to realization, that I can bend this rule since my tv refuses to die.

I bought it so long ago that I don't even know exactly when. I think 2005 or 2006. Yes, my television is approaching 15 years old. It's crazy when I think about it. For a very brief time manufactures made CRT (big ass tube sets) in HD, right when HD became a thing. The initial flat screens if you recall, weren't exactly perfect, and were very expensive at the time. But if you didn't mind the bulk of having a tv that weighed literally 114lbs, you could get a mid sized tube that was beautiful for about $600. Which I did. However I'm tired of it simply being 30", and sticking out from the wall over a foot. Finally going to let my LG tube go. I might cry a tear for it. Till this day it looks amazing, especially for games and sports. I fucking love it, but it's time to make the jump to something new.

I've been researching for a few months about all the new fangled bells and whistles and a lot of it quite frankly worries me. Having to opt in to data mining (LG and Samsung), or questionable customer service if something goes wrong (TCL.)

So I am here to ask all of you a couple questions.

What tv do you have (brand and model)?

What do you like most about it?

What do you like least about it?

And what do you use it for the most? (video games/live sports/cable/Netflix)

My budget is a max of $600. I am not getting a projector.

(Mods, feel free to move it this to Tech if you need...)

[Edited on 4-22-2019 by BBMN]

"Put the chicken wings down n come to Jihad bro."

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7598
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-25-2019 at 07:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBMN
My budget is a max of $600. I am not getting a projector.

TV prices have come down so much in recent years that you can get a lot of bang for your buck for $600. What size TV are you looking to get? Because you could definitely get something in the 60" to 65" range for $600 or less, especially depending on what brand you buy.

And while I'd probably consider Sony and Samsung to be the two top brands, I've gone with LG for my last two TVs (a 55" and a 60" 4K, both of which I still use) and have liked them a lot. I use them for pretty much everything and kind of consider LG the brand to go with if you want something that's good quality, but don't want to spend $1,000 or more on a new TV.

Also, two other things you may want to consider:

-No matter what brand you end up getting, I'd recommend you Google the best picture settings for that particular brand/model. A lot of people will buy a new TV, turn it on, and never mess with any of the picture settings after that. But there are definitely websites out there that will tell you the optimal settings for your TV (brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc) that will get you the most out of it.

-I bought an Amazon Fire Cube a few months back, which has the whole "Alexa voice command" thing built in. At first I thought it would just be kind of a novelty feature to have, but I can't tell you how great it is after coming home from a long day of work to be able to say "Alexa, turn on the TV" and then "Alexa, play Netflix" from my kitchen and then have all that shit cued up when I come sit down on the couch. So yeah, definitely not necessary but I've found having it to be a really nice addition.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12695
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 4-25-2019 at 03:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My current one is an LG and my last was a Samsung. Loved them both. The LG is a 43" and the Samsung was a 40". That size was great for my old apartment, but the next one I get will probably be 55"-60". I got that LG for $300 at Best Buy. Very easy to set up and use. Great screen. That Samsung I had before it lasted 10 years before I had to replace it. Costco has a shit ton of good TVs as well. I've seen those TCLs that have Roku integrated in them and my friend who has one loves his.

I use mine primarily for watching TV/movies from my Apple TV. Secondary use is my Playstation 4.They both look great in it.

I don't have 4k on my TV. I'm perfectly fine with that. The next TV I get probably will have it, just because that's where everything is headed. Hell, Sony is coming out with an 8k TV to be ready when the PS5 comes out.

Make sure to change the settings. Especially the motion smoothing/interpolation. A lot of TVs have that setting on as the default. Nothing irks me more than going to someone's house where it's obvious they've never touched that shit and everything they watch has the "soap opera effect".

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7598
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-25-2019 at 06:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
I don't have 4k on my TV. I'm perfectly fine with that. The next TV I get probably will have it, just because that's where everything is headed. Hell, Sony is coming out with an 8k TV to be ready when the PS5 comes out.

Yeah, these days I think it's impossible to find a TV that's 55" or larger that's not 4K. With that said, I rarely ever watch stuff in 4K on my TV except for the occasional YouTube video via the Fire Cube.

quote:
Nothing irks me more than going to someone's house where it's obvious they've never touched that shit and everything they watch has the "soap opera effect".

This...SO MUCH THIS. It's even worse when someone has that effect on their TV and is like "oh, I've really never noticed it." I start to question if they're even human at that point.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2511
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 4-27-2019 at 12:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If I'm around a tv with the soap opera effect on and the owner is not in the room, I'm probably going to turn it off. I'm allergic to it I think.

So far I'm leaning to Sony and Vizio. Looking to get something in the 40-50" range. Probably will go with Vizio due to cheaper price. The main thing pushing both brands to the top of my list is that they are least likely to have built-in ads and bloatware. I guess there are some great tvs out there that suffer due to bloatware updating in the background and making the rest of the set react slowly when changing apps or channels.

Just browsing reviews on Amazon has been eye opening when it comes to this stuff.

At one point I was leaning heavily towards TCL Series 5 sets because they have outstanding picture and size for the price, but again, ads built in, and I'm fairly positive your average Sony will probably have double if not triple the average lifespan as a high-end TCL.

Right now I'm really considering a Vizio D-Series.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1406202-REG/vizio_d43_f1_d_series_43_4k_hdr.html

Only real drawback that I've read is poor viewing angles, but our living room isn't huge and we sit pretty much right in front of it, so I doubt that will be a big issue. I just wish they had a 50" size. Our place isn't that big and going from a 30" (my current tv) to 60" would be almost comical. That's literally quadruple the screen size. And the price jump from $300 (for the 43") to $500 (for the 60") is steep for a size I don't really need.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6149
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Orton (Orton)

posted on 4-27-2019 at 01:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Consider me in the same boat with y'alls that can't fathom how people can look at the soap opera effect bullshit and not see the difference. But sportsball looks so clear, they say. Yes but something like Infinity War wasn't shot and meant to be viewed like sportsball, I say.

As a former installer of all things a/v such as teevees and cameras and the like, you're basically dealing with two different kinds of devices when buying a teevee. They're either a dumb monitor or a smart computer. And there are benefits to both.

As a paranoid delusional tinfoil hat wearing consumer, I prefer less bells and whistles and WiFi horseshit. Also, I am old AF and do not care about said bells and whistles. It's gotten better now, but back when I was an installer WiFi was dodgy AF so a hardwire was always preferable. Kinda still that way given the house I live in is all concrete, plaster, and wire, because hurricanes. All that shit tends to fuck transmission signals up. Also, I don't like the idea of my teevee watching me or remembering what the fuck I watched. But that probably doesn't matter anymore because everything we do is watched anyway. Whatevs. My main teevee is a 15-year-old 50" rear projector that only needs a $30 bulb replacement every few years and it looks as good as the day I turned it on. I just plug Rokus n' Comcast (like a dumbass) in and it works fine.

In non-monitor action, most of my normal friends that somehow still associate with me all have goddamned "smart" teevees. And yeah, they're pretty neat, but they can be squirrely if you go full WiFi for connectivity. I'm usually the guy they call to start pressing buttons to fix things when aspect ratios need changed or their equipment isn't synching up properly. One thing I've never seen on a smart teevee that I like was how shiny they are and the commensurate light reflectivity issues they can have. They're more like old tube teevees where if it was in the wrong part of the house at the wrong time of day the sun glare would wash everything out.

I think your biggest consideration in purchasing a teevee would be how big of a gamer you are. That's where shit gets really important with refresh rates and whatnot given how fast games move now. My teevee would absolutely not be able to keep up with current XBoxstation nonsensery, but I don't lay down in bed for coitus with strange men so that isn't a concern of mine. So definitely research and crosscheck whatever teevee you're interested in buying with whatever gaymer magazine or site dedicated to stick handling and what they recommend is the most fabulous bang for your buck you can get in that arena.

Also,

That was a darn fine NXT. - Imam DooKi Broiler Jerzistani El Ballenhoopi

Iíll give AEW credit ... while they lack in womanís wrestlers they really do have the market cornered on add nothing but be super hot arm candy valets these days. - Also OOur Jerzoid Imam (PBUH)

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 4-29-2019 at 01:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Make sure to change the settings. Especially the motion smoothing/interpolation. A lot of TVs have that setting on as the default. Nothing irks me more than going to someone's house where it's obvious they've never touched that shit and everything they watch has the "soap opera effect".

Haha, that would be me. I have never once touched the settings on any of my televisions.

I'm a dinosaur when it comes to any sort of tech, though. I don't want to say I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, because if you came over and changed the settings for me it would probably be one of those, "Oh wow, that does look better, thanks." sort of things. But it's also something I don't know enough about-- or care enough about-- honestly. I don't care about things like speaker systems or any of that sort of thing, either. Whatever sound comes out of the TV is good enough for me.

So with that said, my opinion might be worthless to you. I've read reviews on TVs before and seen things like, "the shadows on this one are so much richer than on my previous one blah blah blah," and thought to myself... who gives a shit, honestly? But some people do, I guess. Myself? I don't really need a 4k/8k Ultra super curved dick television.

I have three in the house. Two are Insignia, one is a Hisense. Insignia is just Best Buy's house brand, and I've been more than happy with their products. In fact, the TVs I have previous to these were Insignia as well. I actually really, really like the Hisense as well. I believe they're a fairly big company where they are based (I want to say China but I could be mistaken), and have only in the last few years gained popularity here. I think the picture on it is really good, and couldn't be more pleased with it.

And hey, the price is right, as far as both brands are concerned. Check out Best Buy's website. You could get a 50+ incher 4k with Roku/Fire/Whatever built in for less than $300.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7866
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 4-29-2019 at 03:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So a few things come to mind....

LG and Samsung are the leaders in panels these days.if you want the best of the best, those are your two options.

If you donít need the best of the best, Vizio is a great option.

You are not going to get a tv that will have a pro gamer level of refresh rate. But if you are concerned that your ps4 or XBone will look laggy, it wonít.

HOWEVER...

Donít just turn off the ultra smooth 120hz mode. Learn how to toggle this on your tv. On some sets itís as simple as turning cinema mode on and off. Games look and play a lot better with the ultra smooth setting ON. MOVIES LOOK LIKE CRAP WITH IT ON. Sports like hockey look great with it on. Baseball? Meh. TV shows? Depends on the show, but mostly turn it off.

Tomís Guide has a good guide to selecting a size. Iím a big fan of measuring the distance from your couch to where your tv will be, going to a store/display room, and sitting/standing that distance from a tv.

Donít worry about smart features, a Chromecast is $50 bucks and works great with Android or iOS. If you do want the best smart tv option, go with LG. webOS on a tv is awesome.

And Iíve been saving the most important part for last...

MAKE SURE THE TV SUPPORTS HDMI PATCH THROUGH FOR A SOUND BAR.

TVs with no bezels and ultra thin will have crap speakers. Budget for both the TV and a sound bar that supports patch through. Unless you have a good receiver and set of killer speakers, at which point you should all ready be covered.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top