The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Musical Acts You Utterly Detest
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7515
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-1-2019 at 06:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
For some reason YouTube gave me Buckcherry as a recommendation, which reminded me in an instant of how much I loathe those ridiculous Aerosmith-lite wankers. Gah!

I actually like Buckcherry's first two albums a lot. Then again, part of that may be that I was around 18-20 when they came out, so I have a lot of underage partying/drinking nostalgia for those albums. But I did like how they were an 80's hard rock throwback in an era when Korn and Limp Bizkit were mega-popular.

With all that said, I stopped listening to Buckcherry after their second album (because they kind of devolved into a more generic rock radio sound after that) and I probably couldn't name more than two songs that they've put out in the last 15 years.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10517
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell
Member Is Online

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 5-1-2019 at 10:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The first time I heard the vocalist yammering something like "I do all the cocaine! I do all the cocaine!" as a lyric, or whatever the fuck it was he was going on about, was enough for me.

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1593
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 5-8-2019 at 02:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh! Bjork. Also Bjork. I hate her music more than I hate anyone else's on my previous list, with the possible exception of the bro-country stuff.
Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

Mood: Plotting

posted on 5-8-2019 at 04:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
Oh! Bjork. Also Bjork. I hate her music more than I hate anyone else's on my previous list, with the possible exception of the bro-country stuff.

Given the choice of listening to Bjork or Yoko Ono, where would you like to be shot and how many times??

For myself:

Any college doucherock band, a lot of the Nu-metal crap (there are a few songs here and there from bands such as Korn that I don't mind in small doses, though.) Nickleback is an instant channel change every time.

Even some of the newer metal offerings make me cringe. Ghost's "Square Hammer" and the like, I just can't get into them.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10517
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell
Member Is Online

posted on 5-8-2019 at 04:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The current metal scene is damn hard to get into. Anything with the vocalist doing the ridiculous waaaauuuuggghhhhhh-bwaaaaaauuuuugggghhhhh demon-grunting voice is an automatic pass. And too much of the others, even if they sing normally or if they're technically terrific on the instruments, are putting out songs that have absolutely no melodic hook in them. I'm not saying do the hammy ballads that the spandex bands of the 1980's had to do in order to get radio airplay but at least do something Sabbath/Priest/Maiden would do with the tune and make the damn songs stand out.

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 682
Registered 1-16-2013
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 5-8-2019 at 09:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
With the exception of Free For All, Ted Nugent can eat shit. Same for Kid Rock.

Never got into The Dave Mathews Band. Not sure if his vocals or just the music but something is just yeesh.

I like a few Rush songs but Geddy Leeís voice is one that I just canít get into. I respect them a ton, but just something about them.....Dig Free Will and Closer to the Heart, though. The Who to a lesser degree. Some of it is great. Some Who stuff is just monotonous and boring. Half of Wonít Get Fooled Again is a great song, the synthesizer sounding stuff is not my thing.

Nu Metal is pretty awful but I think that thereís one Korn song I like and I remember liking that In The End song (but I guess it doesnít really....you know). In saying that, I thought that it had potential at first when the Judgment Night soundtrack came out. And Bring The Noise. It was all downhill after that.

New country is pretty gross. The only new acts Iíve heard that I like are Sturgill Simpson (and Wheeler Walker jr but, well, thatís a little bit different*) and I think Iíd also like Cody Jinks and Chris Stapleton based on some friendsí opinions. Havenít checked them out though.

Scream-O stuff is the worst. Iíd rather listen to anything other than that goddamn screaming shit. And Nickleback wannabe bands like Hinder or Saving Abel are gross, too. Nickleback is bad enough but those types are worse. Fuck Creed, too, but I like the verses to One. Of course, I think Iíve only heard it a half dozen times and itís been out for....I dunno, awhile.

One last thing that I couldnít get into was that damn O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack. I like some of that type of music but I hated that movie and hated those songs. The Coens are mostly miss with me (the few exceptions like The Big Lebowski are definite hits, though....but címon, who doesnít love The Big Lebowski?)

*NSFW because of titties. And words.
https://youtu.be/pcwlsVBPe-M

[Edited on 5-8-2019 by CVD39]

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3051
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 5-9-2019 at 04:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Collective Soul

Any jam band other than the Grateful Dead (and even thatís pushing it).

I agree with The Who, too. Imminence Front is such a fucking horrible song.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2404
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 6-22-2019 at 07:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hate:

The Eagles
Def Leppard
Everlast
Rascal Flatts
Ted Nugent

Don't really hate, but think they're hugely overrated:
Rolling Stones
Van Halen

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7515
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-23-2019 at 09:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Rolling Stones

I don't hate the Stones either, but when it comes to the age old "Beatles vs Stones" argument, man, it's Beatles all the way for me. Like, the Rolling Stones are great and all, but the Beatles are just on a whole other level for me and I'll take their album catalog any day of the week.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12617
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 6-23-2019 at 10:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Rolling Stones

I don't hate the Stones either, but when it comes to the age old "Beatles vs Stones" argument, man, it's Beatles all the way for me. Like, the Rolling Stones are great and all, but the Beatles are just on a whole other level for me and I'll take their album catalog any day of the week.

This. SO this.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10517
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell
Member Is Online

posted on 6-23-2019 at 07:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Rock >>>>>>>>> pop, so wallow in your wrongness, wrong opinion-havers!

I never thought about putting bands like Collective Soul, Matchbox Twenty, or any of those other safe and corporately-engineered groups on the list. I always thought they were just too irrelevant and bland to ever generate active burning hatred in anyone. It's kind of like getting mad at a pancake without any syrup on it. Yeah, it's bothersome on some level but it's not going to ruin your entire day the same way being unable to get Gwen Stefani's voice out of your head after blundering across a No Doubt song certainly would.

- David-8

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7720
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 6-23-2019 at 11:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Beatles vs Stones always seemed odd to me. Like really? The Stones? As the Fab Fourís equals? Nah man. I think bands like REM and U2 have discographies that are at least close to Stones. I think Nirvana is more iconic.

But meh, to each their own.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10517
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell
Member Is Online

posted on 6-23-2019 at 11:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
One is rock, the other is pop, so any direct comparisons or rankings under the same criteria is ridiculous. Besides, I don't want to live in a world where nonsense like Love Me Do or Maxwell's Silver Hammer is said to be better than Can't You Hear Me Knocking or Moonlight Mile. It would be sheer insanity that could only be relieved by lobotomization.

- David-8

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top