The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Musical Acts You Utterly Detest
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

Mood: criminal record soon

posted on 4-21-2019 at 11:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Musical Acts You Utterly Detest

Just figuring we could have some fun with the ones we hate as much as the ones we love. So just list the one's you can't stand. You don't have to provide a reason either if you don't want to. Blinding reactionary hatred is good enough of an explanation IMO. We're all merely human.

[Edited on 4/21/2019 by Paddlefoot]

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 4-21-2019 at 11:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No Doubt
Black Eyed Peas
Steve Miller
July Talk (crap Canadian alt band)
Nick Gilder (Canadian glam crap, likes singing about teen prostitutes)
Bloodhound Gang
Blur
Aerosmith (except for Deuces Are Wild and Draw The Line whenever they start playing the radio goes off)

[Edited on 4/21/2019 by Paddlefoot]

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12616
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 4-22-2019 at 12:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kings of fucking Leon.
The 1975
Creed
Good Charlotte
Black Eyed Peas with Fergie (they were awesome before her)
Limp Bizkit
Ja Rule
Evanescence
Ugly Kid Joe
Puddle of Mudd

There are four bands that I used to like until I saw them live, and now I canít stand them - Staind, The Spin Doctors, The Killers, and MGMT.

I donít hate Aerosmith, but I almost always change the station when they come on. Same for Foghat.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 4-22-2019 at 01:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Beatles (seriously, enough is enough with this wildly overplayed baby boomer crap)
Ted Nugent (his politics and sheer disgusting wretchedness as a human wipe out whatever talent he has)
The Darkness (not a fan of glam at the best of times, much less shit-glam like this)

- David-8

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 4-22-2019 at 01:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Dave Matthews Band
Rush
Kid Rock (I used to find his music reasonably enjoyable, but time and his increasingly obnoxious public persona have wiped out any goodwill)
Florida Georgia Line (and any suchlike bro-country acts)
Insane Clown Posse (low-hanging fruit, I know)
Uncle Kracker
Rihanna

I used to hate Fleetwood Mac with a flaming passion, but I've started to come around on then. Ditto Pearl Jam. And for some reason, I really hated AC/DC for a long time, but now I'm a big fan of a lot of their stuff.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

Mood: Donkey Show

posted on 4-22-2019 at 04:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pearl Jam is easily my #1 followed by, in no particular order...
Whatever the fuck a Bebe Rexha is,
Whatever the fuck a Cardi B is,
Whatever the fuck NuCountry like GJJ mentioned with F/G Line is, along with any other simliar sounding acts,
Whatever act has the words "Rapper" and "Chance" in it, mainly due to that Superb Owl commercial song he did with the Backstreet Boys where he's boogin' on down and freak dancing to somesuch chant or incantation that sounds like Beaker from the Muppets freaking out but with the audio slowed way down,
Most any current rap or pop,
Nickelback

Sal, why Kings of fucking Leon? As you are a musician I'm curious about your take.

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-22-2019 at 06:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There's a tiny handful of bands I've seen mentioned that I disagree with, but hey, since this is supposed to be musical acts that you hate, I'm not gonna try to argue or debate with anyone. Some of my picks, in no particular order:

Imagine Dragons
Matchbox 20
Third Eye Blind
Vampire Weekend
Dave Matthews Band
Jimmy Buffett

And then there's just some more general categories I hate:

Jam bands (Phish, Widespread Panic, etc)
A lot of today's hip-hop (Lil Pump, Cardi B, etc)
Singer-songwriter type stuff (Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, etc)
The nu-metal era (Godsmack, Disturbed, Staind, etc)

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8254
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 4-22-2019 at 07:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Beach Boys-- they stink, and one of them was in the Manson Family

Pink Floyd-- no idea why I've never liked them. I just never have.

Rage Against the Machine-- fuck them. Audioslave was awesome though. The wrong guy killed himself, for sure.

Fallout Boy-- they should all die in a fire.

Florence + the Machine-- why did this dude's parents name him Florence? That's a girl's name.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12616
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 4-22-2019 at 07:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I hate Matchbox 20 and Fallout Boy as well. And Panic At The Disco. Add Ted Nugent and Kid Rock to that too, and that was before their dumb politics.

Dave Matthews Band is a weird one - I donít really like their music much, but they put on an amazing live performance. So much so that Iíve seen them three times (I was always invited to see them, never been my idea). However if I hear them on the radio I still change the station.

I love The Beatles so much both as a fan and as a musician that itís always very weird to hear someone tell me they hate the Beatles (youíre not the first person Iíve heard say that either). I even get defensive about it - although I wonít here.

Kings of Leon. Ok, hereís why I hate the band. So when Sex On Fire came out, I liked that song. Checked out the album, it was ok, but I HATED the song ďUse SomebodyĒ. I hate the lyrics, I hate how boring the song is, I hate how the singer sings in it. Every time the song played when I listened to the album, my immediate thought was ďI fucking hate this song. It totally sucks.Ē Well, it became their next single and was played just as much if not more than Sex On Fire. I think they even won some Grammys with that piece of shit. Now every song I hear from them all I hear is Use Somebody. Plus they sound like douches in interviews.

[Edited on 4-22-2019 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 4-22-2019 at 07:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie

I love The Beatles so much both as a fan and as a musician that itís always very weird to hear someone tell me they hate the Beatles (youíre not the first person Iíve heard say that either). I even get defensive about it - although I wonít here.

Just from overkill and a lifetime of over-exposure to them. I figure if someone wanted to listen to British rock in the 60's they'd go with The Who or The Rolling Stones and if they wanted pop they'd go with The Beatles. Except towards the end with a few songs like Across The Universe or Let It Be, they weren't a "serious" rock band IMO, just catchy pop with mostly stupid lyrics and they were also way to willing to descend into silliness of the sort that would have fit in well with British vaudeville back in the 1910's and 20's. I'm also just really tired of anything associated with the baby boomers and their non-stop self-congratulations as a generation. When it comes to music The Beatles are unfortunately one of the most prominent faces of that "aren't we great!" bullshit attitude the boomers have. It irritates me and when I get irritated it's not much of leap from irritation to outright antipathy.

[Edited on 4/22/2019 by Paddlefoot]

- David-8

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7709
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 4-22-2019 at 08:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So is this ďbands I donít likeĒ, ďbands I think are over ratedĒ, or actually ďbands you utterly detestĒ?

Because there are lots of bands I donít like, but I have a hard time thinking of bands I detest.

Like I dislike Metallica, but will listen to most of the black album. I think POD was awful, but Iím not sure I utterly detest them.

And there are bands like Tragically Hip that I think are over rated, but I donít hate them. Or genres like hip hop and EDM that donít do much for me, but I donít hate any particular band/performer.

The only act I can think of is Alexisonfire, but thatís more me not getting screamo and them being a thing when I still watched Much Music.

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 980
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 4-23-2019 at 03:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wouldn't say detest, but I never got into Slayer despite liking Metallica, Megadeth and especially Anthrax.

Kid Rock would be the one I detest. Just utter garbage.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3048
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 4-23-2019 at 09:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Creed
Anything with Gwen Stefani
Dave Matthews Band
Widespread Panic
Candlebox
Goo Goo Dolls
Kid Rock
Wallflowers
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
Kings of Leon
Billy fucking Joel

EDITED for Billy fucking Joel

[Edited on 4-23-2019 by denverpunk]

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-29-2019 at 08:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bopol
I wouldn't say detest, but I never got into Slayer despite liking Metallica, Megadeth and especially Anthrax.

I'm 100% there with you and am glad I'm not the only one. I'm a big heavy metal fan, but have always found Slayer kind of one-dimensional and don't think they come anywhere close to Metallica and Megadeth in the songwriting department. Dave Lombardo is a badass drummer though.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

salmonjunkie

Posts 12616
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 4-29-2019 at 11:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I really like Slayer, but of the big 4, I prefer the other three as well.

For funnies, these are three bands my girlfriend utterly detests:

No Doubt
Coldplay
The Smiths (and all Morrissey)

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 4-30-2019 at 12:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
So is this ďbands I donít likeĒ, ďbands I think are over ratedĒ, or actually ďbands you utterly detestĒ?

Because there are lots of bands I donít like, but I have a hard time thinking of bands I detest.

I was on my usual emotional sine-wave of a rollercoaster when I made this thread up, with specifically being at the lower point of the loop at that moment. Probably wouldn't have made it at all if I hadn't been so pissed off right then. What happened was I fell down a stair earlier in the day and really bashed the shit out of my knee - the bruise afterwards was almost jet-black and hurt like fuck for about two weeks afterwards. I'm at the age now where the idea of falling scares the crap out of me. I was in a lot of pain later and not in the best of moods when I went out. The damn radio started playing a Beatles song off of Sgt. Pepper. I kind of flipped out and screamed "shut up, you goddamn fucking over-rated baby-boomer SHIT!" at the radio while I mashed away at the station pre-sets trying to find something better to listen to.

Not my best of moments but whatever. Can't go back and undo any of it. Not convinced I'm wrong either, about any of the acts I can't stand anymore (especially The Beatles). I'm gonna be damn weird when I'm old though.

- David-8

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 4-30-2019 at 01:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
New stuff is awful. Fucking awful.

Old stuff is good. Fucking good.

I will fight you. All of you.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 4-30-2019 at 01:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBMN
New stuff is awful. Fucking awful.

Most stuff post-Gen X is crap. A few stand outs here and there, especially with letting the bass finally be on par with the regular guitars. But most of it is terrible, and that's to be expected from amateur-hour crap from off of the internet. Not to much of it has the staying power even The Beatles that I now loathe had, and still have. The recording companies were mostly evil but there was a point to their old selection process as to who got a contract and who didn't in that it separated the grain from the chaff. A lot of alt now is just for the sake of being alt, and not because it's producing anything good. There was a reason the recording companies would force a hard-nosed producer to work with a rock band in the studio and demanded them to make something with a hook to it that could become a hit and applied it to the first three/four/five albums. It made the artists save the self-indulgent overly-aetherial masturbatory nonsense for their later albums so the company wouldn't lose their investment in a band.

- David-8

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

Mood: Donkey Show

posted on 4-30-2019 at 01:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
I'm gonna be damn weird when I'm old though.

In Janny's Brush With Future Greatness Retro News, I walked past Caleb Followill (the lead singer for KoL) in a bodega across the street from the Boulder Theater back when I lived out in Colorado in ought dickety '02 or so. He was at the stage of his career where he looked like the picture below. But his outfit was more twee or fey or dainty or proto-hipster or whateverthefuck. Skintight jeans, vintage leather jacket, the whole outfit. I wasn't super big at the time, maybe 5'11" 180-ish and he was easily 6+ inches shorter than me, even in the boots he was wearing and shockingly bird boned. I will never forget how delicate he looked. Like, he had the bone structure of a meek and mild geisha or somesuch. Kinda hypnotic, to be honest. He'd definitely be passable if he chose to go that way if you know what I'm saying. Regardless, I like their shit, even some of the newer stuff. Bummer Use Somebody and Sex on Fire got worn into the ground so much. But yeah, their early stuff is totes gritty southern rock jams.

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 4-30-2019 at 05:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I never had much interest in KoL because of that unsmiling overly-serious hipster-band vibe they put on display. That being said Crawl is a seriously awesome fucking song. I have no motivation though to listen to their catalogue to see if they have any other genuine rockers like that song.

- David-8

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 4-30-2019 at 03:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is no one going to talk about Rush being on a list here???

Anyway, here are mine bands:
Rolling Stones (with the exception of Paint it Black)
Eagles
Dave Matthews
Kid Rock
Ted Nugent
Yanni
Jethro Tull
Pink Floyd
Almost all Country music

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Ė Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3048
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 4-30-2019 at 03:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Iím actually surprised Rush isnít listed more, being a pretty polarizing band. I love them, but a LOT of people canít stand them.
G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 4-30-2019 at 05:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
Is no one going to talk about Rush being on a list here???

I mean, I wouldn't take my tastes in music too seriously. I'm into a lot of really obnoxious stuff. I have like 30 Bloodhound Gang songs in my iTunes.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 5-1-2019 at 04:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bands that hippies like:
Greatful Dead
Phish
Dave Matthews Band

Muse

The spaces indicate I have moved on from that category and onto a different band.

Don't Mess With Texas

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 5-1-2019 at 06:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For some reason YouTube gave me Buckcherry as a recommendation, which reminded me in an instant of how much I loathe those ridiculous Aerosmith-lite wankers. Gah!

- David-8

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top