The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NXT Takeover Draft round 5 (final round)
niles81
Showstopper

Posts 721
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 4-15-2019 at 12:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NXT Takeover Draft round 5 (final round)

Bids are due by Noon PST on Wednesday - without further ado:

Matte

MXT TakeOver: Gold Standard

Winner Take All Title Unification Match
Tyler Breeze (MXT North American Champion) vs. Velveteen Dream (NXT North American Champion)

MXT Championship Match
Mustafa Ali © vs. Christopher Daniels

MXT Women's Championship Triple Threat Match
Io Shirai © vs. Ayako Hamada vs. Aja Kong

Last Man Standing Match
Bully Ray vs. Jake "The Snake" Roberts

MXT Tag Team Championship Match
Kings of Wrestling (Antonio Cesaro & Chris Hero) © vs. Ringleaders (Lance Storm & William Regal)

Slade

Tim Horton’s and Jack Daniels present

NXT TAKEOVER: TORONTO

Live from the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Ontario

Featuring the commentary team of Jim Ross & Paul Heyman

“JOHNNY WRESTLING” VS. “THE LOOSE CANNON”
NXT MEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Johnny Gargano {c} vs. Brian Pillman

“AMERICAN NIGHTMARE” VS. “HOT ROD”
SPECIAL ATTRACTION SEMI-MAIN EVENT: IF CODY RHODES WINS, HE GETS A NXT MEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH; IF HE LOSES, HE MUST LEAVE NXT FOREVER
Cody Rhodes vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper

NXT WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Tessa Blanchard {c} vs. Sara Del Rey

ECW RULES 3-WAY DANCE FOR THE NXT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
The Awesome-Mack Attack!: Mike Awesome & The Mack {c} vs. The Gods of War: Saturn & Raymond Rowe vs. The Depressed & The Deadly: Raven & Sami Callihan

NXT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Tyler Bate {c} vs. Johnny Mundo

Eric

NXT-E Takeover: Tampa
Announcer: Vic Joseph (w/different guest commentators throughout the evening)

NXT-E Championship
Jay Lethal (c) vs. KUSHIDA

NXT-E Women's Championship
Falls Count Anywhere
Nikki Cross (c) vs. Dakota Kai vs. Toni Storm vs. Cheerleader Melissa vs. Tegan Nox vs. Emma

NXT-E Tag Team Championship
The Konami Code (Xavier Woods and TJ Perkins) (c) vs. Star 450 (Brian Kendrick and PJ Black)

NXT-E North American Championship
Ladder Match
Matt Riddle vs. Chad Gable vs. Luke Harper vs. Buddy Murphy vs. Tomohiro Ishii vs. Elijah Burke

The Dream Match
The Usos (Jimmy and Jey) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Jackson)

Niles

NXT Takeover: Saudi Arabia

Announce Booth: Mauro Ranello & Tony Schiavone
Ring Announcer: Melissa Santos

NXT WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP!!!
LAST WOMAN STANDING MATCH!!!

Taya Valkyrie© vs Rhea Ripley

THE BAD GUY VS THE BRUISERWEIGHT!!!
NXT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

Razor Ramon vs Pete Dunne©

NXT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP!!!
Buzzsaw Hitmen (Low Ki & Tajiri)© vs The Jack Evans Enforcement Agency (Jack Evans & Bam Bam Bigelow)

KHARMA VS THE MACHINE!!!
Awesome Kong vs Brian Cage

LOS INGOBERNABLES VS THE GRIZZLED YOUNG VETERANS!!!
Hiromu Takahashi & Bushi vs Zack Gibson & James Drake

Fifth

NXT 5H Card 5 - The Probably Final Countdown
Announcers:. Tom Phillips, Jesse Ventura

THE COLLEGIANS COLLIDE:
Charlie Haas vs. Jason Jordan

TEXAS TORNADO TAG RULES FOR THE GOLD:
Dean Malenko/Zack Sabre Jr. vs the Undisputed Elite (Adam Page/Adam Cole, c)

LOSER MUST MASK OR UNMASK:
EC3 vs. Jushin Liger

TWO OUT OF THREE FALLS FOR THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP:
Owen Hart (c) vs. Davey Boy Smith

ELIMINATION CHAMBER FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP:
Jay Briscoe vs. Jeff Cobb vs. Dominic Dijakovic vs. Sean O'Haire vs. Rusev vs. Steve Williams (c)

Mayhem

Phase One Wrestling Presents: Fifth Column
Announcers: Matt Stryker and Corey Graves

POW All Star Championship
Austin Aries (c) v. Kofi Kingston

POW Tag Team Championship
The Beer Busters (James Storm and Arn Anderson) (c) v. The Intellectuals (Chris Nowinski and Damien Sandow)

Taz v. Tully Blanchard

POW Rising Star Championship Match
Angelico (c) v. TAKA Michonkou

Tyson Kidd v. Paul London v. Matt Hardy

Dalem

ToD Presents: ToDxT Volume 5
Commentary: Joey Styles

WORLD TITLE MATCH
Kota Ibushi (c) vs. WALTER

Rey Fenix vs. Ultimo Dragon

TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH – Two Out of Three Falls
Lucha Cool vs. Messiahs of Technical Wrestling
Super Crazy and Kalisto (c) vs. Jamie Noble and Roderick Strong

KENTA vs. Joe Coffey

Shelton Benjamin vs. Will Ospreay

Leo

Mexi-Can Wrestling Alliance
MCWA Takeover: San Diego

Commentary: Hugo Savinovich and Vampiro
Ring Announcer: Maryse Ouellet-Mizanin

Team Lucha: 39 points
Team Commonwealth: 26 points

MCWA Title
(5 points)
Prince Puma (c) vs. Steve Corino

MCWA Tag Title
(5 points)
MexiCools (Juventud and Psicosis) (c) vs. Kyle O’Reilly and Tye Dillinger

Leather Strap Match
(3 points)
Konnan vs. Don Callis

Standard Singles Match
(1 points)
Dynamite Kid vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr. with Chavo Classic

Standard Singles Match
(1 points)
Petey Williams with Eric Young vs. Pentagon Dark

Leo
Fella

Posts 441
Registered 11-9-2016

Mood:

posted on 4-15-2019 at 10:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Matte – I like Breeze vs. Dream on paper, but maybe not as a main event. Ali vs. Daniels could be surprisingly good. Ray vs. Jake is probably my favorite match because that’s just how my tastes go and I like the stipulation. Strong final card.

Slade - Interesting mix of talent. Pillman vs. Gargano looks good on paper. Rhodes vs. Piper not so much, but I see the storyline being worked very well and a very good story being told by those two in the bout. Great women’s match. I don’t like multi-team tag matches, but that being under old school ECW rules helps, because it will just be a chaotic brawl.

Eric – The women’s match feels too messy, too many people for a falls count anywhere match. Maybe a gauntlet match works better for that. You pin someone in the hallway and then the next woman comes and fights the winner and you go that way. And I probably wouldn’t do that match and the multi-man ladder match same show. Too cluttered. Both tag matches are great.

Niles – Kong vs. Cage I could just see being a bunch of power spots and I don’t know if I like that. Like ‘look at Cage is doing to a woman,’ ‘look at what a woman is doing to Cage,’ that type of match. Opener doesn’t do anything for me. Tag match is okay. The top two matches are fantastic and sell the rest for me.

Fifth – Haas vs. Jordan is a good opener. I don’t know if Malenko and Sabre would mesh well as a team. EC3 and Liger don’t seem like a good fit. Owen Hart vs. Davey Boy has happened, but the stakes are greater here. I’m not a big Chamber fan.

Mayhem – Aries vs. Kingston is solid. Taz vs. Tully has me interested even thought that doesn’t look good on paper. Tag match feels like a clash of styles. Triple threat opening is good.

Dalem – Fenix vs. Dragon and Benjamin vs. Ospreay I like. Tag title match has me intrigued. I know I have said I haven’t liked your cards much, this is probably my favorite of the lot.

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11518
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 4-16-2019 at 10:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Slade: Gargano/Pillman should be good. Cody/Piper seems like more story than match. Good women's match, ok tag match, and good opener if I could get past my imbalanced feelings on Mundo.

Eric: Decent main event. I'm kind of with Leo on the women's match, but I'd still want to watch it. I had Kendrick and PJ as a team on my early cards as Flying Lotus, so I can't knock that pairing. Great ladder match and obviously the opening match is dream match material.

Niles: I can dig your main event, and Razor/Dunne would be a lot of fun. The tag title match is decent, and then the two opening matches lose me a little.

Fifth: Not my favorite group of names in the chamber match, but I'd still watch. The opener is good; otherwise, the matches are ok with guys I like a lot and guys I think are just ok.

Mayhem: Kofi/Aries was my first card main event, so I can't hate that one. Angelico/TAKA would be fun and the opener is decent. The other two matches are ok.

Dalem: Powerful roster. Great main event, Fenix/Dragon would be fun, tag title match is good, and the opener is solid. KENTA/Coffey is fine. Again, my favorite card of the round and my pick to win.

Leo: I like Petey/Pentagon. Dynamite/Chavo could be interesting. The rest loses me a bit, but the main event could deliver.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

The Finale: 3-D vs. Doomsday Device

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4621
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 4-17-2019 at 11:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Matte: You have a strong card. I think Mustafa Ali vs. Christopher Daniels is the highlight, but the women's triple threat and Bully Ray vs. Jake Roberts are also excellent. I like all the guys in the tag match, but it doesn't appeal to me (although I can't quite say why). The main event is a match I'd like to see, but it doesn't feel like a main event. Small quibbles aside, I like this card a lot.

Eric: Lethal vs. KUSHIDA is a great singles match. The Tag Team Championship match is a lot better than the dream match. The ladder match ought to be good, even if half of the competitors aren't favourites of mine. I like a lot of the women in the Falls Count Anywhere match, but I don't like the booking. It feels overbooked. It's hard to keep track of that many opponents all over the arena.

Niles: All the singles match are excellent. Dunne vs. Ramon is fantastic. Unlike others who may not like Kong vs. Cage, I'll give you big props for that match. That's the kind of intergender match I want to see. Throw in a pair of good tag matches and you've got the best card of round five.

Fifth: Hart vs. Smith is great, but it has happened. However, I'd like to see it with that stipulation. The Elimination Chamber should be fun. Haas vs. Jordan is okay. My favourite match would be Malenko & Sabre vs. Cole & Page without the Texas Tornado stipulation. This is the odd time when a stipulation makes a match less appealing to me.

Mayhem: I like the main event quite a bit. It's weird because Matte already booked it, so I want to take points away for that. On the other hand, I find it more appealing and want to give it more points than I did at the time he booked it. I guess Kofi's 'Mania performance made me feel higher on it. I guess those things cancel out. The other singles matches and the show opening triple threat look really good to me. This is definitely your best card of this draft.

Dalem: Again, you bring another strong card to the table. Rey Fénix vs. Ultimo Dragon is the best match anyone has booked this round. Ibushi vs. WALTER and KENTA vs. Joe Coffey are also very appealing. Benjamin vs. Ospreay is also great. The tag match would be a top match on most of these cards, yet its the weakest here. This is a wonderful card.

Leo: Dynamite Kid vs. Chavo and Petey Williams vs. Pentagon DARK are both really good. Prince Puma vs. Steve Corino doesn't knock me out, but it might surprise me. The other matches are okay, but don't interest me much. On the whole though, I commend you for running with your theme through all five rounds. It couldn't have been easy.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

niles81
Showstopper

Posts 721
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 4-18-2019 at 09:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This concludes the NXT Takeover draft - I hope you folks had fun with this one. Here are the final scores:

Round 5:

Matte - $232
Niles - $202
Slade - $189
Dalem - $178
Eric - $164
Mayhem - $149
Leo - $136
Fifth - $100 (recieved a -$50 penalty for not submitting bids)
Dev - -$100 (two -$50 penalties for not submitting card or bids)

And the total scores:

Matte - $1041
Slade - $1038
Dalem - $1019
Eric - $976
Niles - $945
Fifth - $857
Leo - $814
Mayhem - $809
Dev - $451

MayhemNX
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1715
Registered 11-18-2006
Location Web City

Mood: Bitey

posted on 4-18-2019 at 11:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A fun concept. Thanks for running it niles.

Quantum Fetish Mechanics: The act of thinking up a new type of fetish causes that fetish to exist. Someone probably has a website dedicated to it. Schrodinger's cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by peanut butter and elbows.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4621
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 4-19-2019 at 12:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes, thank you Niles for proposing this concept and running the draft.

And a big congratulations to Matte on his big come from behind win!

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1663
Registered 1-15-2006

Mood:

posted on 4-19-2019 at 06:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sorry I didn't get in to vote, guys - this week just got away from me. Congrats to Matte, and thanks to Niles for running it.
TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2727
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 4-19-2019 at 02:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I thought I had a chance at my first wrestling draft victory. So close! Still no shame in losing to some excellent cards put together by Matte and Slade.

This was a fun twist on the draft concept. Props to Niles.

OO's only mammal penguin

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11518
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 4-20-2019 at 02:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow, did not expect that comeback from being in fourth place after the previous round. I'm usually pretty confident with my first 2-3 cards, and then anything after the third round has me struggling a bit to put the pieces together.

Good cards all around (I still think Dalem had the most consistently good cards) and a fun new draft experience.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

The Finale: 3-D vs. Doomsday Device

niles81
Showstopper

Posts 721
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 4-20-2019 at 01:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Glad all of you had fun with this. I'll probably try to run this again next year - ideally with a fully fleshed out and polished trade system in place to create that "Call up to the main roster" dynamic. I'd like to get this version of the draft working so that it's similar to running an indie fed.
MayhemNX
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1715
Registered 11-18-2006
Location Web City

Mood: Bitey

posted on 4-20-2019 at 05:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It has me wondering what other style theme drafts could be done...Main Event only, where they have to have won a world title (or headlined a PPV maybe?) Or Tag Team (though the criteria on that would seem to be very subjective...do they have to have had a name..or just won a title..both..one or the other)

Quantum Fetish Mechanics: The act of thinking up a new type of fetish causes that fetish to exist. Someone probably has a website dedicated to it. Schrodinger's cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by peanut butter and elbows.

Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1663
Registered 1-15-2006

Mood:

posted on 4-21-2019 at 05:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MayhemNX
It has me wondering what other style theme drafts could be done...Main Event only, where they have to have won a world title (or headlined a PPV maybe?) Or Tag Team (though the criteria on that would seem to be very subjective...do they have to have had a name..or just won a title..both..one or the other)

Cruiserweights?
Wrestlers who have wrestled in a Wrestlemania match?
Wrestlers who aren't in the WWE Hall of Fame?
Mismatched tag teams?

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3960
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 4-23-2019 at 02:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wrestlers who have wrestled at Wrestlemania would definently be interesting. Tht women's and cruiserweight divisions would be tougher to fill out than usual. It'd basically be like trying to book a stereotypical mid00's WWE show, star power-filled main events with token matches for the other divisions in the midcard.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top