The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: All Elite Wrestling 2019
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11529
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 11-21-2018 at 04:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: All Elite Wrestling 2019

Reports are showing that All Elite Wrestling, LLC, based out of Jacksonville, FL (with the consensus being that the Khan family of Jacksonville Jaguars fame is backing this), has filed several trademarks this past week, including: All Elite Wrestling, AEW, Double or Nothing, All Out, AEW Double or Nothing, AEW All Out, and Tuesday Night Dynamite.

Rumors of Cody and the Young Bucks (with Jericho, Scurll, Page, Omega, and JR) starting their own wrestling company are now gaining steam.

What do we make of all this?

Changed the title to make it OOfficial.

[Edited on 5-26-2019 by Matte]

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2734
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 11-21-2018 at 05:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Very cool and I hope it's super successful. That said I was hoping to see Kenny in WWE where he could go against Bryan and AJ and Seth and all that.

As to if it's successful? I think it all comes down to how easy it is to consume. If they are on Netflix or Hulu I will watch. If it's a brand new streaming service or some tv channel I don't have then I won't watch. Without a large back catalog of cool stuff to watch I can't imagine myself paying for another subscription.

OO's only mammal penguin

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 983
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-21-2018 at 05:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'd very much like to see alternative versions of wrestling besides Vince McMahon and the trainwreck of Dixie Carter's on a national stage. When you look at the last days of the regional promotions of the early 80s on the YouTube, you see a wide variety of wrestling - most of which vastly surpasses what is presented today. Given the massive payout that the WWE just got for their product on TV; savvy investors have to realize that there is money to be made if they can find the right leaders to develop a product and that very well might be Cody Rhodes.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3990
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 11-21-2018 at 06:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They got a really great thing going on with ''Being the Elite'' on Youtube. If they expaned that into being their own promotion, replacing backstage promos and interviews with road diaries for the build up of the matches they could have something unique.

But yeah, beyond a quality product and big names, the head honcho of the whole thing needs to be somebody with his/her feet on the ground with a solid plan. WCW and ECW met their ends not because of their product or Vince McMahon screwing them but because of backstage issues.TNA/Impact went from a respectable spot(their ratings being nearly a third of WWE's, talent happy with the balance of pay and schedule) to a shell of their former selves because of some incredible mismanagement.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7776
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 11-21-2018 at 07:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wrestling come down to 3 parts: live events, merchandise, and tv. It’s kind of shocking that WWE is the only fed to do well in all 3 at once on a National level.

ECW worked as a niche promotion. When they tried to expand to keep guys from going elsewhere, they crashed and burned. There wasn’t a fit for them on tv.

WCW worked as a cheap, minor lost leader to fill up TV time. When they expanded beyond that, they were fine as long as Turner was ok losing money. They basically killed their live events to have “better” tv when they went from Crockett to Turner. Once Turner was out, they were done.

TNA was an alternative to WWE. When they chased ratings and competing with WWE, they failed. To this day they’ve never been a great touring company.

ROH has stayed alive thanks to having the touring and merch parts down. They are propped up by Sinclair being ok with them losing some money. But they don’t try to be bigger than they are, and that helps them.

Hell, look at NXT. They sell merch. They tour. They produce weekly tv. And they’d be out of business if they had to justify their cost.

All In was unique, but incredibly meaningless. They would have the talent to compete with NXT TakeOvers for quality, but I’m not sure what they would offer over ROH on an ongoing basis. 2 or 3 years in, would they still seem fresh? Will their money mark be OK covering loses? And will talent prefer the “freedom” they offer over the money WWE can give out?

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 11-21-2018 at 08:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
IMO, the only company that has even a small chance of competing with WWE is New Japan, and we are still YEARS away from that.

If this new promotion stays within it's means, and tries to slowly build itself into a solid upper echelon indy fed rather than try to go toe to toe with Vince, then it might have chance.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3990
Registered 1-22-2013

posted on 11-21-2018 at 08:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie

ECW worked as a niche promotion. When they tried to expand to keep guys from going elsewhere, they crashed and burned. There wasn’t a fit for them on tv.

Also, Heyman's ego played a big part. Through their tough periods in the late 90s several players had shown interest in buying a stake, if not the whole company , from Heyman but Heyman always refused because he felt it would rob them of their underground aura and take away what made them special. I guess he earns point for artistic integrity but he chose ECW's identity over ECW's future, something a more sensible promoter wouldn't have done.

Hindsight is 20/20 but had he he sold ECW or a big part of it in 1999, yes they might have started losing their hardcore fanbase as ECW would get sanitized and touched up for a mainstream audience but it would have coincided with WCW's monstrous downfall so the market was there for another national level promotion to take the #2. They just needed the money to tie down their guys and create more avenues for revenue. Shit they were alreayd beating WCW on PPV buyrates.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4556
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 11-22-2018 at 05:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
With the various sports networks, or even stuff like Netflix et al looking for content I'm surprised no one has ever really stepped up to get an even late night filler product out there...

Wrestling's relatively cheap to produce, easily translatable to multiple markets, and they can churn out hours for filler for you.

No one will touch the WWE, but I'm just shocked we don't see a return of the old regional wrestling tv, or something even a bit bigger.

ThePunisher
The Great One

Posts 3330
Registered 4-19-2003
Location Asheville, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-29-2018 at 05:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That's essentially what ROH is now, though. In most markets, they're on late at night on Saturday/Sunday on regional TV. It's pretty much how ECW was running before they got their TNN spot.

Wait 'Til Next Year - The best baseball podcast on the 'Net!

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11529
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 1-1-2019 at 03:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AEW has now been officially announced, along with All In 2: Double or Nothing. More info to come out January 8.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

SpiNNeR72
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

Mood: Amused!

posted on 1-1-2019 at 07:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AEW may be nothing more than a business name, continuing to use youtube and run occasional big events. If so, that's a viable model.

Given the WWE saturation many feel, something people can half pay attention to, and easily catch up with prior to a "PPV", which also promises a few good quality matches, is a winning formula.

Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1665
Registered 1-15-2006

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2019 at 05:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This might be better suited to the Fantasy thread, but that's rarely used these days. Imagine that, in six months time, every wrestler on the Raw and Smackdown rosters become free agents. It's a big case of Jeff Jarrett at No Mercy-itis. Who might get offers? Who might weigh the certainty of a WWE paycheck versus the creative possibilities in AEW? Who would Vince throw gobs of money at just to insure they stay?

(Yes, I realize that we know nothing about AEW yet. And that a John Cena, for example, would never jump ship.)

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2435
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 1-3-2019 at 07:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not even an actual rumor, but Ryan Satin on Twitter did note that Goldberg follows the All Elite Wrestling account (and that they follow him back).

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2435
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

posted on 1-3-2019 at 07:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Stupid double post because it's late and I'm tired.

[Edited on 1-3-2019 by GodEatGod]

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 1-3-2019 at 04:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here are some news and notes about AEW:

* Reportedly Tony Khan (who also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars) has put up $100 million to launch the company

*They are currently in negotiations to broadcast a weekly show on TNT

*AEW made overtures to purchase Impact Wrestling including their tape library and all talent contracts, but that deal fell through

*Cody will be the Executive Producer. He will be the face of the company and handle the business side of things as well. He will fill the Vince McMahon role.

*The Young Bucks will be in charge of booking events and creative (storylines/angles).

Here is an exhaustive list of people reportedly associated with AEW:

CONFIRMED:

Jim Ross will reportedly be in charge of talent relations and scouting

Hangman Adam Page - he was included in the AEW announcement video and is officially signed as a talent

Brandi Rhodes - duh

PROBABLE:

Chris Jericho - he has been rumored to be involved but it's not know what capacity

Kenny Omega - his relationship with the Bucks and Cody is no secret, so it seems like a no brainer that he would be involved

BJ Whitmer - very close with the Young Bucks and will most likely serve as color commentary

Christopher Daniels - one of a handful of wrestlers followed by the AEW Twitter

Frankie Kazarian - one of a handful of wrestlers followed by the AEW Twitter

Scorpio Sky - one of a handful of wrestlers followed by the AEW Twitter

Goldust - Cody's brother and isn't really doing anything on WWE TV at the moment. Unknown when his contract expires

POSSIBLE

AJ Styles - apparently the Young Bucks have been working hard to get AJ to jump ship and his contract is set to expire this year. This seems dubious but AEW will be based in Jacksonville which is close to AJ's Georgia home, and Khan seems prepared to shell out big money for talent

Goldberg - rumored to be high on AEW's wish list. Not sure he could be lured back full time

Anderson & Gallows - their deals expire in mid-2019 and are reportedly not keen on re-signing

Marty Scurll - another Bullet Club member but his absence from any AEW talk is conspicuous.

Tye Dillinger - contract expires in 2019 and he was the first WWE wrestler to congratulate Cody about AEW

Sami Zayn - Zayn and the Bucks are close and Zayn recently expressed his dissatisfaction with the WWE on - guess who? - Jericho's podcast

Zack Ryder - He and Cody are good friends and Ryder is reportedly ready to be done with the WWE

Tyler Breeze - his name has been rumored to be really disgruntled and looking for a way out of WWE. His name has been associated with AEW recently

PAC (Neville) - been working small indies recently but I'm guess he would love and opportunity to try and stick it to Vince by be featured on a rival wrestling program

DOUBTFUL

CM Punk - you knew this name was going to pop up eventually. Punk reportedly is very close with the Young Bucks, but it is believed Punk and Cody had a falling out over how Punk was promoted during All In last year. Also, Punk hates pro wrestling now.

Flip Gordon - his contract with ROH is ironclad until 2020, and he has publicly stated his loyalty to them while wishing the Bucks best of luck with AEW

The Revival - The Bucks have made clear their respect for the Revival and it is believed to be mutual. However the Revival seem to be getting a nice push at the moment so it would be unlikely they would jump ship

I'll update this list as needed.

[Edited on 1-3-2019 by CCharger]

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12648
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-3-2019 at 05:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
Anderson & Gallows - their deals expire in mid-2019 and are reportedly not keen on re-signing

Not for nothing, but they were just given a show that they host on WWE Network called "Botch Club". The first episode just aired last week.

I watched it, and yes, it's basically WWE's version of Botchamania, but Gallows and Anderson are quite funny hosting it, and there's great footage of Gallows' Tough Enough tryout along with a fun interview with Titus O'Neil talking about his slide under the ring at Greatest Royal Rumble.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4621
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 1-3-2019 at 06:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fifth Horseman
This might be better suited to the Fantasy thread, but that's rarely used these days. Imagine that, in six months time, every wrestler on the Raw and Smackdown rosters become free agents. It's a big case of Jeff Jarrett at No Mercy-itis. Who might get offers? Who might weigh the certainty of a WWE paycheck versus the creative possibilities in AEW? Who would Vince throw gobs of money at just to insure they stay?

Tons of guys would get an offer, and several of them might be interested, but few of them would be thrown gobs of money to stay. Vince has been down this road before and he's almost always allowed people to walk away. I don't think he's want to lose his special attractions - Lesnar, Rousey, Cena or Strowman - and I don't think he'd be willing to invest all that time and effort into making Roman Reigns be his guy just to let him leave.

After that, I'd say the only other guy he'd throw gobs of money at is Daniel Bryan. The way I see it, the only reason he's been wrestling this year is because Vince didn't want him to go somewhere else to boost ticket sales and spike viewership. Despite all the talk over the years about how Bryan gets crapped on, the bulk of the evidence would suggest otherwise. WWE knows he's one of its biggest cash cows and they'll do whatever is necessary to stop him from printing money for another company.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12648
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-3-2019 at 06:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"What's Bryan Danielson and the 'Aye' Movement doing in the Elite Zone, JR?"
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
bopol
Showstopper

Posts 983
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2019 at 10:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
One name that came to mind was Chris Hero, who has never really gotten a WWE chance, but has performed well at NXT and still can wrestle despite his girth.

Another was Speedball Mike Bailey, who can't work in the US because of illegally crossing the border to work in the US. I don't know if a large company can undo that, but that would open up some Canadian talent (Player Dos, Nicole Matthews are both banned as well).

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3048
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 1-3-2019 at 11:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TownOfDalem
Very cool and I hope it's super successful. That said I was hoping to see Kenny in WWE where he could go against Bryan and AJ and Seth and all that.

As to if it's successful? I think it all comes down to how easy it is to consume. If they are on Netflix or Hulu I will watch. If it's a brand new streaming service or some tv channel I don't have then I won't watch. Without a large back catalog of cool stuff to watch I can't imagine myself paying for another subscription.

Yup. Exactly this. I wish them the absolute best but it’s highly unlikely I’ll ever watch it to be honest. Maybe if there is a super cool thing you fellas go nuts about I’ll give it a whirl but every week? Yeah, no. I got enough shit to do already.

Happy it’s in Jericho and Cody’s hands though. Jericho gives so few fucks that it ANYONE could pull this out of their ass it’s him.

Jericho is the under the radar McMahon Family friendly rival who is capable of anything and it’s kind of poetic to think about 75 year old HHH still being agitated by 75 year old Jericho way down the line. Hope it works out!

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7923
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2019 at 11:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Britt Baker is one of the first official signings according to multiple websites.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2435
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

posted on 1-4-2019 at 12:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bopol
One name that came to mind was Chris Hero, who has never really gotten a WWE chance, but has performed well at NXT and still can wrestle despite his girth.

I feel like Hero's being groomed to be a trainer and is already sort of like a player/coach down in NXT. Much as I'm sure he'd like to get a big push, he's getting older and probably has to start thinking about what he does after he can't go anymore.

Other possibilities:
Ryback
Jack Swagger/Jake Strong
Chris Masters (whatever he calls himself now, I can't remember)
Sienna
Trevor Lee (just finished his Impact contract)
Madison Rayne

Plus it's still not clear if Lucha Underground's going to have another season or not. If it's over, all those people become fair game.

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3990
Registered 1-22-2013

posted on 1-4-2019 at 02:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pentagon, Fenix, Emma, Tessa Blanchard,Joey Ryan, Jeff Cobb, and Kota Ibushi are also likely to join up.

On the WWE side, any number of guys in their 20s/early 30s could consider making the jump, some because they're tired of WWE and others looking to raise their profiles and come back a few years later.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7923
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-4-2019 at 04:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pentagon and Fenix have been rumored to want to go to WWE once they are totally free of any Lucha Underground obligations so I don't see them as options. Emma and Cobb are signed to ROH contracts, so they're out. Tessa is signed to a long-term Impact contract so she's unavailable until Impact finally gives up.

This goes back to my issues with All-In and even though they were able to make that successful somehow, the talent just isn't there for a new company to really make any sort of decent competition and its even more of a factor for All-Elite as they won't have the ROH backing nor do I think they'll have any working agreements with New Japan, NWA, or anything like that.

I mean, just of the names mentioned here, the only ones of any actual potential would be Omega (still think he's WWE bound sooner rather than later), Anderson & Gallows (maybe), PAC, Aries (if his ego would let him), Ospreay, Chuck Taylor, Trent Baretta.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2435
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

posted on 1-4-2019 at 06:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
One of the keys is going to be how liberal Khan is going to be with the purse strings. He has the kind of resources that would allow him to offer comparable pay to WWE, which would give them the ability to compete for contracts as they expire. There's not that much talent out there at the moment, but if they can show stability and wave some money around, they can attract talent as it comes on the market. It's not going to start tomorrow, after all - they probably won't even have a first show until the fall, I'd wager.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top