The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: JOKER
janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang
Member Is Online

Mood: Donkey Show

posted on 4-4-2019 at 01:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
JOKER

*siiiiigh* I'm happy all the Marvel stuff turned out as well as it did. I just wish DC would get their shit together and surprise... us... with something.......... interesting....................

Goddamnit. Fine. FINE. You have my attention agayn you sonsabitches at WB. Just don't fuck on me with shitass shit like Batffleck no more.

[Edited on 4-4-2019 by janerd75]

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 4-4-2019 at 12:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nope.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang
Member Is Online

posted on 4-4-2019 at 05:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3048
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 4-4-2019 at 09:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I’m in. I loved Logan and this kind of reminds me of it as a “different” comic book movie. Also, Joaquin Phoenix is REALLY good at playing nuanced, dark villains. If the script is good, then this movie could be terrific.
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7709
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 4-4-2019 at 10:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
On the one hand, that looks interesting.

On the other, Joker having an origin (or orange if you will) never really works. And this really looks like it is trying to paint the f’n Joker as a sympathetic character. Which really doesn’t work.

This seems to be doing a take on part of Killing Joke without the Babs getting shot and otherwise abused, no Gordon refusing to snap, and no Batman.

I’m actually hoping that Batfleck secretly filmed scenes for this so he gets a better send off.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang
Member Is Online

posted on 4-5-2019 at 12:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Killing Joke kinda had a sympathetic Joker origin, however true it was or wasn't supposed to be as told by the man himself. That version had a down on his luck loser with a family as this version appears to have as well. And there's nothing to say that in this version pre-Joker he couldn't simply be a severely awkward guy and unpleasant in social situations (as was seen in the trailer) that don't necessarily make him sympathetic overall.

Personally I don't need him stabbing kittens with colored pencils when he's a toddler to plant seeds on how he became the ultimate evil. Just some unknown, sad-sack loser that has his infamous "One Bad Day" and went batshit insane not only because of it, but also from what animated him as a creepy weirdo all along. And compare/contrast that with his arch-nemesis that had a bad day of his own and turned out entirely differently.

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie

I’m actually hoping that Batfleck secretly filmed scenes for this so he gets a better send off.

Not a spoiler because they were in the trailer, but two of the Wayne family not named Martha were in the trailer so Buttflecks ain't in it. Also it's set in the 80s, so there's that.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-5-2019 at 05:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This looks intriguing and I'm sure I'll see it at some point, but I dunno...I kind of feel like I did when Spider-Man got rebooted multiple times (even though I do love Tom Holland as the current Spider-Man). Like, I grew up with Jack Nicholson's Joker and then Mark Hamill's animated one. Then there was Heath Ledger's legendary performance and after that, whatever Jared Leto's Joker was supposed to be. And hell, I even used to catch some of Cesar Romero's Joker on old Batman TV show reruns as a kid. So my reaction is more of an apathetic "yay, it's the sixth onscreen incarnation of the Joker" rather than being super excited. But hey, hopefully the movie is good.

And I know I've mentioned it before here, but I've pretty much given up on DC putting together any kind of cohesive movie universe. Affleck and Cavill are gone, Will Smith is getting replaced by Idris Elba in the next Suicide Squad movie, and now we have a Joker origin movie that's not even in the same continuity as the other movies.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 4-5-2019 at 05:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
Nope.

Don't Mess With Texas

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 4-5-2019 at 08:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm obviously a huge comics fan; but this one makes me a bit leery... Not because I think you have to have Batman in there, or I'm worried about which origin they'll run with... More this movie looks like a clarion call to disaffected nutjobs; a kind of Incel cult film waiting to happen.

I hope I'm wrong.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 4-5-2019 at 04:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
Killing Joke kinda had a sympathetic Joker origin, however true it was or wasn't supposed to be as told by the man himself. That version had a down on his luck loser with a family as this version appears to have as well. And there's nothing to say that in this version pre-Joker he couldn't simply be a severely awkward guy and unpleasant in social situations (as was seen in the trailer) that don't necessarily make him sympathetic overall.

I don't want the Joker to be relatable, I don't want to think that they best DC villain is just a normal guy who snapped. I mean most of the DC heroes are not relatable to the public before they got their powers, I don't want the best psycho villain to be the most relatable character in the DCEU.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang
Member Is Online

posted on 4-5-2019 at 06:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
More this movie looks like a clarion call to disaffected nutjobs; a kind of Incel cult film waiting to happen.

That's racist.

I don't think he'll necessarily be relatable given what we've seen from the trailer thusfar. Besides, there's supposedly a heavy Taxi Driver theme running throughout, plus the fact DeNiro himself is in it. Travis Bickle, despite being the protagonist, wasn't exactly relatable in that film either.

I'm still not over being bamboozled by the terrific Suicide Squad trailers so WBDC still has a ways to go to convince me they're on the right track again anyway. I hear a lot of good things about Titans and Doom Patrol so maybe they've finally turned a corner by just saying "fuck it, we'll go with what works for us" and fully embraced the grimdark motif. Which I'm quite fine with. If they can get back to high end auteur prestige stuff that Nolan started with his Batman trilogy and add the gnarly realistic stuff they already had success with in Watchmen, then so be it. Especially if they start going with risky one-off, kinda Elseworlds stuff like this. Logan, and even Deadpool, is the best example of that formula working.

Also, how cool would it be if this is indeed a one-off, that at the end of the film there's a Usual Suspects style twist where Joker's shown narrating his life's story that we've been watching the entire time only to pan up at the end to see him telling it to Gordon and Bats (played by relatively unknown actors) and him signing the movie off by saying, "Well, at least that's how I remember it..."

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3955
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 4-8-2019 at 07:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Reports are that this is the start of a series of non-continuity DC films. So basically Cinematic Elseworlds. Even the great Elseworlds comics sound like goofy stories on paper so I'm not discounting the movie on it's premise of Joker:Origins. Hell, there's a comic where Joker plays a heroic politician andas ass-backwards as that sounds it is a solid read.

What has me concerned is all the Sorcese-isms. Interviews are constantly mentioning this movie takes after Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, Sorcese got brought in as a producer and Deniro is part of the cast. I dunno, I'm worried this might all just be Todd Phillips doing a half-assed pompous homage/imitation of his favorite director.

[Edited on 4-8-2019 by First 9]

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang
Member Is Online

posted on 8-28-2019 at 05:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3955
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-30-2019 at 01:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm getting the feeling there won't be much Joker in this. Seems like the bulk of the story will be on how what drove Arthur to transform and he won't be the clown until the third act.

If so, that's prett goddamn ballsy. Hopefully this Joker will be taking a page out of what The Dark Knight Returns' Joker did to a studio audience.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang
Member Is Online

posted on 8-30-2019 at 02:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm right there with you on things to anticipate with this movie. I give it leeway mainly because of Joker's nebulous origins over the years. In a way I contrast it with Batman's rock solidly known, mostly no room for interpretation origin with his parents being shot in Crime Alley after watching Zorro or somesuch swashbuckling film/play when he was a kid with little variation to that over the years and years of Batman lore. Joker remembers his origins differently over the years so I'm sticking with that.

Honestly, I'm kinda burnt with all the bombastic and frequently mind-numbing action of caped crusading these days, so an attempt at a more grounded character-driven movie is a welcomed one. And yeah, the first thought I had when they expanded on the talk show scenes was the hopes that they'd pull something like the TDKR audience scene with it. Fingers crossed!

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-31-2019 at 12:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It looks like a movie in 3 acts:

1) History of mental problems, genuine love for his mother, but otherwise sad sack loser.

2) Breaking point is mom dying in the hospital probably at the same time DeNiro-Carson is making fun of him. Something snaps, he kills someone in a way that creates some kind of movement/underground celebrity

3) This escalates until he somehow winds up as the head of this movement, winds up on Deniro's show... probably kills him to close out the movie.

I'm intrigued, and it looks like there could be some good stuff in there... overall I applaud them (DC) going in a different direction, more stand alone stuff but I still think this movie is going to wind up as some kind of cult movie for a lot of deplorable people. If I still worked at a movie theatre and they still used print film it would be hilarious to just swap out the last reel from Joke with the last reel from Captain Marvel.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang
Member Is Online

posted on 8-31-2019 at 04:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
If I still worked at a movie theatre and they still used print film it would be hilarious to just swap out the last reel from Joke with the last reel from Captain Marvel.

You Sir are the real monster.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 9-1-2019 at 02:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
After the initial screening in Venice, most of the people who saw it are calling the movie a masterpiece and already assuming Phoenix has an Oscar nod coming for this. So, yeah, interest piqued.

[Edited on 9-1-2019 by nOOb]

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top