The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The number of WrestleMania main events every WrestleMania main-eventer has ever main-evented...ever
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-29-2019 at 06:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The number of WrestleMania main events every WrestleMania main-eventer has ever main-evented...ever

Yes, the title is intentionally stupid. Anyhow, in honor of WrestleMania being just over a week away, I thought it would be interesting to go down the list and see how many times each guy who has ever main-evented a WrestleMania actually got to appear in the main event over the years.

Two quick things: one, I only counted wrestlers in the advertised main event, so Hogan's impromptu match against Yokozuna at WrestleMania IX and Seth Rollins' cash in from WrestleMania XXXI weren't included. Two, even though Charlotte/Becky/Ronda has been confirmed as the main event for this year's Mania, the match hasn't taken place yet, so I didn't include the ladies on the list.

With all that said, the stats:

Seven Main Events: Hulk Hogan, Triple H

Five Main Events: John Cena, The Rock, Shawn Michaels

Four Main Events: Roman Reigns, The Undertaker

Three Main Events: Bret Hart, Brock Lesnar, Steve Austin

Two Main Events: Batista, Randy Orton, Randy Savage, Sycho Sid, Yokozuna

One Main Event: Andre the Giant, Bam Bam Bigelow, Big Show, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Daniel Bryan, Edge, King Kong Bundy, Kurt Angle, Lawrence Taylor, Mick Foley, Miz, Mr. T, Paul Orndorff, Roddy Piper, Sgt. Slaughter, Ted DiBiase, Ultimate Warrior

Random thoughts:

-Roman Reigns is the only currently active wrestler who even has a chance of touching Hogan and Triple H's seven WrestleMania main events. The only other full-time guys on the current WWE roster are Orton, Bryan, and Miz and they're way behind.

-It's kind of crazy the amount of big names who only main-evented WrestleMania once...Foley, Angle, Jericho, Edge, Bryan, Andre, Warrior, etc only got to the top of the card one time and that was it. Just goes to show how hard it is to get the main event match each year.

-Going along with that, the fact that Sid and Yokozuna will forever be two-time main-eventers is one of the odder WrestleMania historical facts.

-Going along with that, part two, it's pretty wacky to think about all of the big names that never main-evented a WrestleMania: Flair, Guerrero, Punk, Goldberg, Kane, Mysterio, and Nash are all guys I can think of off the top of my head who are not only former world champions, but also all have appeared on multiple WrestleMania cards, but never in the main event.

-Kind of interesting the number of guys who tacked on some WrestleMania main events later in their career (or even after they left the business): Rock got a couple more with WM 28 and 29, Lesnar did the same at WM 31 and 34, Michaels' main-evented WM XX, 23, and XXVI after last main-eventing WM XIV, and Batista added one at WM XXX.

-As always with these stats threads I do, if anyone spots any errors I made, let me know and I'll fix them.

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2725
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 3-29-2019 at 02:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Classic Goon thread.

I'm surprised that Sid and Orton each have two main events.

Surprised Austin only has three. It's always a surprise to remember how short and injury riddled his run was.

For as long as Cena's run was he gave up a lot of mania main events to Orton, HHH, and Taker.

One of CM Punks big things was wanting a wrestlemania main event, this really does show how few people get one. Even amoung the people who have one so many of those only do as Hogan foils.

Fun stuff.

OO's only mammal penguin

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1935
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 3-29-2019 at 03:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sid kinda lucked into both of those too. At WM 8, the originally planned Hogan/Flair title match turned into Hogan vs Sid and Flair vs Savage for the title. Hogan vs Sid ended up going on last, which I guess you could say because Hogan but itís interesting that considering it was a non-title match and Hogan was going to be leaving for a while amidst the steroid scandal that they still kept him in the top spot.

Then at WM13 the plan had been for Shawn/Bret II where Bret would get his win back after the iron man match the year before, but Shawn lost his smile etc and Bret instead was given the submission match with Austin, and so Sid ended up winning the title in February and then dropping it to Taker at Mania.

And Punk got screwed. At both 28 and 29 he was clearly the guy that was in position to be the main event, and both times got passed over to do Rock/Cena. The first time around I guess it made sense, but doing it again a year later and having to get the title involved and main event again was so dumb. Say what you want about what a curmudgeon Punk is/has been, but itís kinda sad that for as much as he made it clear that headlining a Wrestlemania was his last big goal in wrestling, he never got to do it despite doing everything he possibly could to put himself in that position.

And while Roman still has a way to go to catch Hogan and HHH for total main events, his four consecutive Mania main events from 31-34 does tie him with Hogan (5-8, also not counting him and Yoko). Hogan also had a streak of three with 1-3, as did Rock with 15-17 and Cena with 27-29.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 3-29-2019 at 04:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
To add onto this, I started thinking about people who were involved in Wrestlemania main events in various non-wrestling capacities.

Four Main Events

Mr. McMahon: Joined post-match in-ring celebration at Wrestlemania X, interfered against Stone Cold Steve Austin at Wrestlemania XV, supported but then betrayed the Rock at Wrestlemania 2000, interfered against the Rock at Wrestlemania X-7
Stephanie McMahon: Supported Triple H at Wrestlemanias 2000 and 32, supported Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania X-7, interfered against Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania XXX

Two Main Events

Bobby Heenan: Managed King Kong Bundy at Wrestlemania II and Andre the Giant at Wrestlemania III
Miss Elizabeth: Managed Randy Savage at Wrestlemania IV and was in a "neutral corner" at Wrestlemania V
Hulk Hogan: Supported Randy Savage at Wrestlemania IV and had the infamous impromptu title switch at Wrestlemania IX
Mr. Fuji: Managed Yokozuna at Wrestlemanias IX and X
Pat Patterson: Served as special guest referee at Wrestlemanias I and XI
Shawn Michaels: Did guest commentary at Wrestlemania 13, prevented Mr. McMahon from refereeing at Wrestlemania XV
Triple H: Supported Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania XIV, interfered against Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania XXX
Paul Heyman: Managed Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemanias 31 and 34

One Main Event

Managers: General Adnan, Harvey Wippleman, Jim Cornette, Ted DiBiase, Jose Lothario, Chyna, Ric Flair
Guest Referees/Enforcers: Roddy Piper, Mike Tyson, Mankind
Ringside Support: Jimmy Snuka, Bob Orton, Andre the Giant, Kama, King Kong Bundy, Irwin R. Schyster, Nikolai Volkoff, Tatanka, Carl Banks, Chris Spielman, Ken Norton Jr., Reggie White, Rickey Jackson, Steve McMichael, Linda McMahon, Shane McMahon, Alex Riley
Celebrity Guests: Muhammad Ali, Billy Martin, Liberace, Bob Uecker, Mary Hart, Burt Reynolds, Jennie Garth
Mid-Match Shenanigans: Bret Hart, Curt Hawkins, Zack Ryder, The Rock, Scott Armstrong, Seth Rollins
Post-Match Shenanigans: Papa Shango, The Ultimate Warrior, Owen Hart
Post-Match Celebrations: Lex Luger, Razor Ramon, Tatanka, The 1-2-3 Kid, Sparky Plugg, Randy Savage, Rhonda Shear, Donnie Wahlberg, Gorilla Monsoon, Eddie Guerrero

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-30-2019 at 08:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TownOfDalem
Surprised Austin only has three. It's always a surprise to remember how short and injury riddled his run was.

For being arguably the second-biggest star in pro wrestling history (behind only Hogan), Austin has kind of an interesting WrestleMania history. He probably could have main-evented WrestleMania 13 with Bret, but obviously that wasn't in the cards with Taker/Sid being the title match that year. Then he would have almost undoubtedly main-evented WrestleMania 2000, but missed out on that one because he was injured. And then at his final two WrestleManias, X-8 and XIX, he was relegated to matches in the middle of the card.

So for being such a huge name, it is kind of surprising that Austin only main-evented WrestleMania three times and falls behind Hogan, Triple H, Rock, Cena, Michaels, Taker, and Reigns on the list.

quote:
Originally posted by TownOfDalem
For as long as Cena's run was he gave up a lot of mania main events to Orton, HHH, and Taker.

Yeah, when I was compiling the stats for this thread I had forgotten that Cena had a three year stretch where he wasn't in the main event. He main-evented WrestleMania 23 against Michaels and then wouldn't do it again until WrestleMania XXVII against the Miz, with Taker/Edge, Triple H/Orton, and Taker/Michaels getting the top spot each year in between.

quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
Sid kinda lucked into both of those too. At WM 8, the originally planned Hogan/Flair title match turned into Hogan vs Sid and Flair vs Savage for the title. Hogan vs Sid ended up going on last, which I guess you could say because Hogan but itís interesting that considering it was a non-title match and Hogan was going to be leaving for a while amidst the steroid scandal that they still kept him in the top spot.

Then at WM13 the plan had been for Shawn/Bret II where Bret would get his win back after the iron man match the year before, but Shawn lost his smile etc and Bret instead was given the submission match with Austin, and so Sid ended up winning the title in February and then dropping it to Taker at Mania.

Interesting point about Sid and I'd never really thought about that. Especially if Shawn hadn't lost his smile in 1997 and we got Bret/Shawn II for the title, because where would that have left Austin, Taker, and Sid on the card?

quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
prevented Mr. McMahon from refereeing at Wrestlemania XV

Funny story: I remember watching WrestleMania XV at a sports bar with some friends when I was like 17 and for some reason, one of my friends said "I bet Shawn Michaels is involved in the main event." Considering Michaels hadn't been involved in the Austin/Rock storyline at all and I don't think had even really been on TV leading up to Mania that year, I told him he was fucking crazy and that I'd give him $20 if Michaels came out. Well, sure enough Michaels comes out before the match starts and I just looked at my buddy and said "fuck you" and tossed him a twenty dollar bill.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 3-31-2019 at 02:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Interesting point about Sid and I'd never really thought about that. Especially if Shawn hadn't lost his smile in 1997 and we got Bret/Shawn II for the title, because where would that have left Austin, Taker, and Sid on the card?

Man, Wrestlemania 13 is full of butterfly effect from the lost smile. Sycho Sid and the Undertaker were penciled in to face each other anyway, I believe, though probably not for the WWF Title. But even then, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the plan may have been for Sid to beat Shawn Michaels for the title at the Thursday RAW before In Your House: Final Four and have Bret Hart-Shawn Michaels II be non-title.

Stone Cold Steve Austin is a better question. He probably would have faced the British Bulldog, but that loses you the World Tag Team Title match. Mankind and Vader were the challengers, but I think they were originally booked to face each other instead. Maybe the Bulldog and Owen Hart lose the belts to Doug Furnas and Phil Lafon at Final Four, and the four corners tag match is for the titles, but then I don't know what you do with Owen. He can't challenge Rocky Maivia for the Intercontinental Title, because Maivia was booked to defend against a heel-turned Marc Mero (and then he got injured, and it ended up being the Sultan instead). Just send him out there to have a good-quality match with Flash Funk, maybe? Unless Owen and Bulldog were supposed to be in a tag title match, maybe a rematch with Furnas and Lafon, and the WWF hoped Brian Pillman would be healthy in time to face Austin. We'll probably never know the original plans, because everybody who knew them at the time will have contradictory stories.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-31-2019 at 04:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
quote:

Man, Wrestlemania 13 is full of butterfly effect from the lost smile. Sycho Sid and the Undertaker were penciled in to face each other anyway, I believe, though probably not for the WWF Title. But even then, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the plan may have been for Sid to beat Shawn Michaels for the title at the Thursday RAW before In Your House: Final Four and have Bret Hart-Shawn Michaels II be non-title.

I also remember rumblings on the gossip sites that the WWE was going to hotshot the title to Bret or Austin and have that become the WWE title match that year, which obviously didn't happen.

And yeah, I totally agree that for as lackluster as the final WrestleMania 13 card was, it's pretty fascinating to look at the butterfly effect that Michaels vacating the title caused. If things had gone the way they should have, Michaels/Hart II (presumably for the WWE title), Taker/Sid as a monster vs monster uppercard match, and Steve Austin vs. whoever already makes WrestleMania 13 about 75% better than it was.

On the flipside though (and again, the butterfly effect comes into play), that means we don't get Bret/Austin, arguably the greatest match in WrestleMania history. Hell, Bret/Austin is what made Austin and also turned Bret heel, so who knows where things would have ended up if we'd gotten Bret/Michaels instead of Bret/Austin.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 3-31-2019 at 11:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
And yeah, I totally agree that for as lackluster as the final WrestleMania 13 card was, it's pretty fascinating to look at the butterfly effect that Michaels vacating the title caused. If things had gone the way they should have, Michaels/Hart II (presumably for the WWE title), Taker/Sid as a monster vs monster uppercard match, and Steve Austin vs. whoever already makes WrestleMania 13 about 75% better than it was.

Of the seven matches on the main card, the only one that I don't think was affected by injury was Goldust vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley. Sycho Sid vs. The Undertaker, Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin, the World Tag Team Title match and the four corners match are all butterfly effects from Shawn Michaels' injury, Rocky Maivia only faced the Sultan because Marc Mero got hurt, and the Ahmed Johnson-Faarooq feud probably wouldn't have lasted all the way from August if both of them hadn't gotten injured at various points.

quote:
On the flipside though (and again, the butterfly effect comes into play), that means we don't get Bret/Austin, arguably the greatest match in WrestleMania history. Hell, Bret/Austin is what made Austin and also turned Bret heel, so who knows where things would have ended up if we'd gotten Bret/Michaels instead of Bret/Austin.

Yeah, I've wondered about this, too. I mean, the writing was on the wall with Austin, so he was going to have to turn soon enough. But who knows whether it takes to the same extent if it's not part of a double turn with Hart. Hart wasn't exactly hot to turn heel, and if he walked out of Wrestlemania as WWF Champion, he probably wouldn't have felt compelled to. At the same time, if you turn Austin, you're rapidly running out of top-level heels, with Sid about to hit his usual softball-season flake session, Faarooq struggling to stay over and Vader's stock diminishing by the day. And it's hard to imagine a double turn working as well with Johnson, Shawn Michaels or even Undertaker.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top