The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Us (with spoilers)
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-24-2019 at 06:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Us (with spoilers)

So kind of like my Captain Marvel thread, I know that Us has been touched on a bit in the 2019 Movie Round Up thread, but since that thread is generally spoiler-free (which I appreciate and think it should be), I thought I'd start a thread for full spoiler talk.

So yeah...I saw Us today and overall really enjoyed it. I think what struck me most was that it had a very old school horror vibe to it, that kind of recalled films like Suspiria, Don't Look Now, The Shining, Rosemary's Baby, etc. Jordan Peele knows how to shoot a movie and there were some great shots to be had here, not to mention the soundtrack was great. Also, Lupita Nyong'o was fucking excellent, especially considering she was playing two roles.

With that said, I do have a couple of issues with the movie:

One, I thought that Peele played it WAY too safe with the family. When the father survived after getting hit in the leg with the baseball bat (which, in most horror movies, would mean he's a goner), I knew that nobody in the family was going to die. It just took away a lot of the suspense for me, that no matter what odds were stacked against them, they were going to come out on top and were able to pretty easily dispose of the crazed doppelgangers for the most part. It was kind of like watching an old school Steven Seagal movie, where he just no-sells the bad guys and is never in any real danger.

Two, the whole "the government was trying to make clones of everyone" backstory just doesn't hold up. According to Google, there are 327 million people in America, so are we to really believe that there were 327 million clones underground for the past 30 years before they escaped? Not to mention how exactly are they creating clones of every single person in the country? As I saw someone else mention online, it's like Peele should have revealed either more or less than he did about the backstory.

Those complaints aside, Us is easily worth a view and would probably sit at about 8/10 territory with me.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 4-1-2019 at 08:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah... the whole clone thing didn't sit well with me; I liked the more abstract "shadows" explanation that came before that one; I think it was sufficiently abstract that it could have worked; although really how do you get your third act without the government stuff I guess?

I think I would have had maybe the odd news report about a small down disappearing or something early in the movie... just a whole town disappearing instead of this what... nationwide co-ordinated attack on the USA?

I think it's a bit like I wrote in my "review"... the movies best idea is posing the question of what would you do if a group of people that looked just like you suddenly showed up in your driveway one night? When he tried to give answers or connect it to something bigger I think that's where the movie suffered. Horror I think comes from the random, because it's in the face of the inexplicable, the randomness of cruelty that you get the best stuff... The why's are inconsequential; it happened because it did.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-3-2019 at 05:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Definitely agree with everything you said Flash. And I like your idea about how there could have been a brief mention about a small town disappearing back in the 80's or something like that, which would have been more plausible (and left more to the imagination) than the government cloning every single person in America. Or Peele could have gone the Night of the Living Dead route, where a bunch of crazy shit is happening, but we're never fully told why.

With the backstory he gave though, I feel like there's just too many "well wait, how exactly does that work?" type of questions.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top