The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Medical Bill - Potential Disaster Fuck
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 3-19-2019 at 10:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Medical Bill - Potential Disaster Fuck

So my girlfriend has terrible allergies (not just dust and pollen, but food it seems). She found a physician that recommended she do this giant test for everything under the sun. I believe it may have been DNA based. I'm really breezing past this stuff, but yea, she has been dealing with an ever changing assortment of issues that are often allergen based.

And my girlfriend, I believe, fucked up royally despite not being mentally disabled. The physician told her that her insurance would cover it and everything would be alright.

And of course this is not the case. She just took someone's word on it. I'm at a loss as this is the first certifiably dumb thing she's done (aside from dating me) since I've known her. (We've been dating for several years). She got a denial letter in the mail yesterday. Probably going to get the bill in the next few days. She thinks it is for about $6000.

She makes good money, but then pours most of it into college loans, so when it's all said and done, she is just getting by. My job pays less, but for now has unlimitted OT. Which is going away in a few months. I'm at a loss as to what she/we need to do.

Pretty sure ignoring it and letting collections do it's thing is a horrible idea. And she can't afford an extra $x a month (assuming it will be at least $200.) So how fucking fucked is she? What the fuck can she do?

I'm at a loss. For the first time ever I am starting to feel like I'm getting ahead financially, and then I find out that my OT will be ending soon, then I walk into this Shit-Fest 3000.

I'm fucking devastated. The only Hail Mary I can think of is her physician somehow working some magic and getting it lowered or somehow approved, but I do not expect the next few weeks to have that in store.

[internal screaming]

[Edited on 3-19-2019 by BBMN]

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 3-19-2019 at 10:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This might be a step in the right direction:

https://thecollegeinvestor.com/21732/disputing-medical-bill/

I doubt there's a direct analogue to your situation in there, but there may be enough useful information to inspire some potential solutions you didn't have before. Even just being able to demonstrate some of the relevant knowledge might push insurance companies and medical professionals to take you seriously, if nothing else.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang
Member Is Online

Mood: Donkey Show

posted on 3-20-2019 at 12:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
At this point it might be easier just getting a new girlfriend. Otherwise, like you mentioned, I'd suggest she needs to discuss with her doctor the predicament it put her in and how said doctor can possibly review how the services were billed to the insurance company. It probably also depends on if the tests were done in house with that particular physician which they would have more control over the billing than if it were outsourced to another facility. And when in doubt, try to negotiate it out with the insurance company.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/820ki1/doctor_ordered_expensive_tests_after_i_said_no/

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 3-20-2019 at 04:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If she's still carrying some student loans could you/she perhaps consider some kind of loan consolidation with the med bill...? You might get shredded on the interest a bit more than what student loans normally carry, but $6000 isn't a huge amount that if it were coupled with the student loans likely wouldn't throw the monthly payments out of wack depending on the amoratization period.

The benefit of doing the above is that it may not necessarily rule out still pursuing other avenues like those others have put forth.

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4982
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 3-20-2019 at 03:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There's always GoFundMe.

Or stripping.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8254
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 3-20-2019 at 04:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Move to Canada.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 3-20-2019 at 08:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Has she looked into an Income Based Repayment plan for her student loans? It can lower the payments, in exchange of paying longer...

Vote Democrat and hope that they pass student loan forgiveness?

Find some guy on the street and get new identities.

That's all I got.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 3-21-2019 at 02:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Talked to my wife and sister in law, who both deal with health care industry, first thing she should do is talk to her doctor's office and make sure that the tests were coded properly with the insurance company. Then appeal the decision with the insurance company.

If she ends up stuck with a large bill, talk to the hospital and set up payments she can afford, like $20, if she makes those payments every month it won't fuck up her credit and keep them quiet.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

maclen
Showstopper

Posts 663
Registered 9-10-2003
Location 22 Acacia Ave

Mood: for a day

posted on 3-22-2019 at 07:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
One thing to consider is working out a forbearance with the student loan people, that way she won't have to pay for a specified period of time while she takes care of the medical bill.

Rising From Darkness where hell hath no mercy and the screams of vengeance echo on forever, only those who keep the faith shall escape the wrath of The Metallian...
Master of all Metal

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
coxito
IMPUDENT WRETCH!

Posts -147
Registered 9-17-2012

Mood: National

posted on 4-10-2019 at 10:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Do not consolidate these with your student loans. This will just remove the little bit of protections they provide.

There is a company called Medkey- guaranteed approval with a 5.99% APR. I believe their payment structure is $33 for every $1000 financed. Dont let her destroy her credit over $6k.

Agreed with the sentiment to contact the doctor 1st and dispute with the insurance company before she makes any type of payment.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 4-22-2019 at 02:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the input guys, it's really appreciated.

So far not much has changed or happened over the past month, but if it does I'll possibly update this. Still waiting for an actual bill which I expect will show up any day now.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top