The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does anyone here have experience with 4K Blu-ray?
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7540
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2019 at 03:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Does anyone here have experience with 4K Blu-ray?

So this may be a long shot, since 4K movies/players are still kind of a niche thing, but I'm looking for input from anyone here who has experience with them. I bought a 4K TV back in 2017, but up till now have still been watching movies and shows in standard Blu-ray/HD format. Lately though, I've been kind of getting the itch to make the full upgrade to 4K and buy a 4K Blu-ray player so that I can get the most out of my TV.

I guess my main question is whether it's worth the money to upgrade, since I still find Blu-rays to look pretty damn good on my TV. If the difference between standard Blu-ray and 4K is not something that's super noticeable, then I'll probably hold off for now. But if there is a big difference and 4K movies look super amazing, than I'll be more inclined to take the plunge.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7769
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 1-25-2019 at 05:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Does your tv support HDR? If yes...4K blu rays should look amazing.

If not...they still might.

One suggestion...is the tv a smart tv? If so, you can likely watch 4K Netflix to get an idea of what 4K is like, with very minor investment.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7540
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2019 at 08:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Does your tv support HDR?.

I honestly have no idea, but will look into this tomorrow.

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
One suggestion...is the tv a smart tv? If so, you can likely watch 4K Netflix to get an idea of what 4K is like, with very minor investment.

It is a smart TV, but the wife and I do 99.9% of our streaming through Amazon Fire TV (which is not the newer 4K version). I'll check and see what we're able to stream directly through the TV though, as far as 4K options go. Thanks for the suggestions!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top