The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How many Royal Rumble winners have gone on to win a world title at WrestleMania?
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 01:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How many Royal Rumble winners have gone on to win a world title at WrestleMania?

Considering there's been zero activity here in the Retro thread for months, I thought I'd try to spark a little conversation. With the Rumble coming up, I got to thinking about how many winners since 1993 (when the winner of the Rumble started getting a WrestleMania title shot) actually went on to win the belt. The results:

1993: Yokozuna- Yes (Beat Bret Hart at WM IX, though promptly dropped it to Hogan)
1994: Bret Hart/Lex Luger- Yes and No (Bret beat Yokozuna for the title, Luger did not)
1995: Shawn Michaels- No (Lost to Diesel at WM XI)
1996: Shawn Michaels-Yes (Beat Bret Hart at WM XII)
1997: Steve Austin- No (Wasn't in the WWE title match at WM 13)
1998: Steve Austin- Yes (Beat Shawn Michaels at WM XIV)
1999: Vince McMahon- No (Wasn't in the WWE title match at WM XV)
2000: The Rock- No (Lost in the fatal fourway main event of WM 2000)
2001: Steve Austin- Yes (Beat the Rock at WM X-7)
2002: Triple H- Yes (Beat Chris Jericho at WM X-8)
2003: Brock Lesnar- Yes (Beat Kurt Angle at WM XIX)
2004: Chris Benoit- Yes (Beat Triple H/Shawn Michaels at WM XX)
2005: Batista- Yes (Beat Triple H at WM XXI)
2006: Rey Mysterio- Yes (Beat Kurt Angle/Randy Orton at WM 22)
2007: The Undertaker- Yes (Beat Batista at WM 23)
2008: John Cena-No (Lost to Randy Orton in a triple threat match with Triple H at WM XXIV)
2009: Randy Orton- No (Lost to Triple H at WM XXV)
2010: Edge- No (Lost to Chris Jericho at WM XXVI)
2011: Alberto Del Rio- No (Lost to Edge at WM XXVII)
2012: Sheamus- Yes (Beat Daniel Bryan at WM XXVIII)
2013: John Cena- Yes (Beat the Rock at WM XXIX)
2014: Batista- No (Lost to Daniel Bryan in a triple threat match with Randy Orton at WM XXX)
2015: Roman Reigns- No (Lost to Seth Rollins after he cashed in his MITB shot at WM 31)
2016: Triple H- N/A since the Rumble match that year was for the WWE title (though Triple H did drop the belt to Reigns that year at WM 32)
2017: Randy Orton- Yes (beat Bray Wyatt at WM 33)
2018: Shinsuke Nakamura- No (lost to AJ Styles at WM 34), Asuka- No (Lost to Charlotte Flair at WM 34)

So out of 28 Rumble winners since 1994, 14 have gone on to win a world title at WrestleMania, making for exactly a 50% success rate. I honestly would have thought it would have been a higher percentage with that, but I guess it goes to show that in the WWE, winning the Royal Rumble doesn't mean you're automatically going to be booked to win at WrestleMania.

Also, kind of interesting that every Rumble winner from 2001 to 2007 went on to win a world title at WrestleMania, but then there was a four year losing streak after that from 2008 to 2011.

And it's a bit unsettling that two of the last three Rumble winners have been Triple H and Randy Orton. What decade are we in?

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7709
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 1-21-2019 at 01:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That is surprising.

It also makes the lack of surprising Rumble winners odd. Like really, would the rumoured idea of Andrade winning be that bad of an idea? Even more so in the two title era.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 01:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, in the last ten years I'd say there have been only three surprise winners: Cena in 2008 (because he came back from an injury way sooner than expected), Edge in 2010 (for the exact same reason as Cena), and Sheamus in 2012 (since I don't think he was in anybody's "potential winner" discussion that year).

Also, something else kind of crazy I just realized: Nakamura and Lex Luger are the only two wrestlers on the entire list to win a Rumble but never hold a world title in WWE (and if you want to take into account that Luger was a co-winner, that makes Nakamura the only guy to win a Rumble but not hold a world title since 1993).

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-21-2019 at 01:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He debuted in WWE less than two years ago, so that callout, while accurate, is kinda misleading given his very limited tenure.

Comment aside, this is a great list and analysis and thanks for taking the time to pull it together and share.

Don't Mess With Texas

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 02:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
He debuted in WWE less than two years ago, so that callout, while accurate, is kinda misleading given his very limited tenure.

That's fair enough, but at the same time, guys like Yokozuna, Lesnar, Batista, and Del Rio all won both a Rumble and a world title within about two years of debuting in WWE. And sadly, it doesn't look like they have any intention of putting Nakamura near the WWE title anytime soon, so my hopes aren't exactly high that he'll eventually join the "former Rumble winner and world champion" ranks.

quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
Comment aside, this is a great list and analysis and thanks for taking the time to pull it together and share.

Glad you enjoyed it, it's been ages since I did one of my "wrestling stats" threads and the Rumble is one of my favorite things to get all stats-nerdy about.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7901
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 04:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Yeah, in the last ten years I'd say there have been only three surprise winners: Cena in 2008 (because he came back from an injury way sooner than expected), Edge in 2010 (for the exact same reason as Cena), and Sheamus in 2012 (since I don't think he was in anybody's "potential winner" discussion that year).

Wasn't Orton's win a few years ago pretty surprising in that, yea he's someone who's capable of winning it but was on no one's list of he'd make a good/interesting winner. Similar to Sheamus.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 04:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
quote:

Wasn't Orton's win a few years ago pretty surprising in that, yea he's someone who's capable of winning it but was on no one's list of he'd make a good/interesting winner. Similar to Sheamus.

I went back and checked the 2017 Royal Rumble thread and sure enough, this was said by me:

quote:
The Royal Rumble: Taker would have been my pick up to about a week ago, but now with all the Randy Orton chatter on the gossip sites, I'm going to pick him. I really hope the WWE goes with an unexpected winner though, as Orton winning just doesn't do much for me (and I say this as someone who's really been enjoying the stuff he's been doing with the Wyatts on Smackdown).

So yeah...not that surprising apparently.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7901
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 04:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Since you did the research, I did as well...multiple people were predicting Sheamus having a good showing, if not outright winning, back in 2012.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 08:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I went back and looked up the 2012 Rumble thread to see if I was misremembering and I dunno, it seems most everyone was surprised that Sheamus won (and that Orton and Jericho were the two favorites going in).

At the very least, I remember being really surprised by Sheamus winning that year and commented in the 2012 thread that Orton was my pick to win and that Sheamus winning was a bit of a swerve.

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3955
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 1-22-2019 at 09:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sheamus was a slight suprise because everybody thought the WM World Title match was going to be Bryan vs Orton(who was the Cena of SD). Sheamus was heavily pushed but didn't seem to have a clear path, he was just demolishing guys everyweek.

Basically like McIntyre this year, it wouldn't be shocking if he wins but Brock vs Rollins feels like such a certainty that it might catch some people off guard.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-22-2019 at 09:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by First 9
Sheamus was a slight suprise because everybody thought the WM World Title match was going to be Bryan vs Orton(who was the Cena of SD). Sheamus was heavily pushed but didn't seem to have a clear path, he was just demolishing guys everyweek.

Not to mention the Rumble was in Orton's hometown that year and he was returning from injury, adding to the "Orton's gonna win" predictions.

That was also when Jericho had just returned and was doing the silent treatment thing, so he was right up there with Orton as the favorite to win. So either way, Sheamus was the third-most likely to win, though I don't think you can find a single person here on the bOOards who was predicting Sheamus as the Rumble winner in 2012 (if you go back and look at the Rumble predictions/discussion threads from that year, it's pretty much all Orton/Jericho talk).

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2019 at 12:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nice put together with the list Goon... yeah the results are a bit surprising.

Honestly I think the WWE is missing, and has missed the boat on pulling a random winner out of their ass... Like imagine if a Heath Slater won? Ridiculous I know but it would immediately make following years a bit more anything can happen and thus a bit more must watch... plus you could do some crazy stories like the Powers that be saying "Nope" and doing everything in their power to get the title shot off of such a C-lister while the fans rally behind the lovable loser underdog. You could still advance your other big feud as if he's going to lose his title shot... or hell, have him lose his title shot somehow but still either wind up in the match as a triple threat, or they get another prize of somekind in another match (like the IC belt). Nothing says that Slater (or whomever... I had thought of this back when Santino was #29 to go out... or was he #39) has to win your world title, it would just be a fun story en route to where you are going anyway while also elevating a guy for a while (imagine the promos).

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4982
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 2-21-2019 at 06:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not trolling - honest question:

When was the last time the Rumble had a truly shocking winner? I mean and out of nowhere swerve? Would Reigns winning rather than Bryan count?

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 2-21-2019 at 07:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
Not trolling - honest question:

When was the last time the Rumble had a truly shocking winner? I mean and out of nowhere swerve? Would Reigns winning rather than Bryan count?

Randy Orton in 2017 was pretty out of nowhere if you were just judging based on the booking, not the dirtsheet rumors. Before that, you probably have to go back to John Cena in 2008, when absolutely nobody expected him to be in it (though, of course, once he did show up, he was a lock to win).

For me personally, Stone Cold Steve Austin was something of a shock in 1997. Yeah, he was easily in the top three or four options to win it, but considering everyone and their mother knew Bret Hart was going to Wrestlemania for a rematch against Shawn Michaels (until he didn't), having Austin -- who, keep in mind, was only a year at the company by this point, and had really only had two feuds of any consequence, and one of them was with Savio Vega -- win it practically from the beginning was really unexpected.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-24-2019 at 10:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't know that it ever has; which is why I'm still very much in favour of them pulling a winner out of left field from time to time... Never mind the story possibilities I outlined above; it would sew that seed of doubt into any number of future rumbles.

Let's also not overlook that with the multi-brands and numerous champs (and hopefully now we've gotten to a point where gender doesn't matter) who wins the Rumble is also fairly inconsequential to the whatever the WM main event is going to be given the slate of options the WWE has.... So really the WWE has no excuse to not take some more chances with the Rumble; I mean if the winner doesn't catch fire then they've got like 2-3 months to course correct.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top