The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A Question of Racial Privilege/Supremacy
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

Mood: criminal record soon

posted on 1-20-2019 at 11:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A Question of Racial Privilege/Supremacy

SERIOUS REPLIES ONLY PLEASE!

We have two black cats in our household. On a conscious level we adopted them because black cats tend to get adopted less than other cats because of that ridiculous European (i.e. white) superstition about them being bad luck, agents of witches, Satan's familiars, etc.. Generally speaking they do seem to be more affectionate than other cats (i.e. whiter ones). All in all we thought we were doing the right thing by taking them in to (what we assumed was) a good home.

Unconsciously though, is there a possibility that racism was subconsciously working it's way with our thought processes? Like, did we go into it with a "white man's burden" attitude of supremacy, that anything black would need our assistance to survive because we believe they were incapable of making on their own, that they needed us as patriarchs protecting them through life? Should we let them go out into the world on their own, just to give them the opportunity to show us they're strong and proud and don't need white knights like us in their lives at all?

What do you think? Like I said, this is a serious question, and in order to maximize input the responses here will be cross-posted on a major bodybuilding forum. And, no, I am not a kook.

[Edited on 1-20-2019 by Paddlefoot]

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-21-2019 at 12:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The above reminded me of the below, and it's been a few years since this was bumped/re-posted so hey, free dummy.

Don't Mess With Texas

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-21-2019 at 12:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey, I'm just trying to help out here, to correct a few things. No big story beyond that, other than I should mention that I'm probably not going to watch any South Park going forward because there's just too many landmines on that show I'm not willing to risk stepping on anymore. I greatly fear that kind of humour might warp my thinking too.

Do you think that Loki's custom large-font status of "HOMO" should be changed as not to risk offending anyone? Just asking so as a group we can be the best an OO can get.

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11518
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 1-21-2019 at 12:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My sister had a white cat (long-haired, very beautiful) who was nice to a select few (my sister, myself, and my sister's husband) and very standoffish to everybody else. If somebody else approached her, she wasn't afraid to hiss and then attack. This goes along with the stereotype of white cats being mean unless you're one of the few to earn its trust. She slipped outside once and cowered underneath the deck for about an hour until I crawled under there to get her and bring her back inside, which I felt she appreciated. I don't think she would have done well out in the wild on her own.

My mom recently adopted a black cat (long-haired, also very beautiful) by pure chance. The cat actually showed up at her house and hung around often enough to earn itself a permanent home. It's been taken to the vet for its shots and it now stays inside or outside as it pleases, but doesn't leave the yard (on its own accord; there's no fence or anything stopping it from leaving). It has gotten into a few fights with strays in the area and has killed its fair share of mice and snakes. I think she'd survive on her own, but the human supervision adds a level of comfort and safety that I'm sure she appreciates.

I think you chose to adopt black cats not because you think they can't make it on their own, but because other people might not give them the opportunity to be loved. I don't think it's an attitude of supremacy as much as it is an attitude of sympathy. It's not all about being able to survive and support themselves on their own. It's also about being able to feel cared for and important to someone else's life.

I love cats.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

The Finale: 3-D vs. Doomsday Device

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

Mood: Donkey Show

posted on 1-21-2019 at 12:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have a tuxedo cat. He's much more black than white. He gets into all kinds of mischief and there isn't a day that goes by that I wouldn't like to kick a game winning field goal with him. Regardless, I don't see color and that's symbolized by the fact that he's black and white, and neither of those are colors at all. Dunno what the me wanting to kick him part is all about though. After all, it's not like he's brown.

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7709
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 1-21-2019 at 01:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
TIL...

Matte loves pussy.
Janerd is not only capable of taking care of himself, but a cat as well.
Pad probably needs a time out.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 1-21-2019 at 01:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
TIL...

Matte loves pussy.
Janerd is not only capable of taking care of himself, but a cat as well.
Pad probably needs a time out.

Don't Mess With Texas

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 980
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 03:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I hate cats and would question the masculinity of any man that owns a cat, but the Gillette commercial has taught me that it might be ok for a man to own a cat. I'm struggling with that.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 1-21-2019 at 06:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It is not ok for a man to own a cat.

A post Gillette commercial world just says you can’t bully or beat up a “man” who owns one and you probably have to intervene when you see that.

But you can totally judge them and if you intervene do so begrudgingly and be a little slow to do so...just so you ultimately intervene.

Edit: Someone can now slowly and begrudgingly intervene on me for the “man” thing I just did. You have to wait at least 3 posts though.

[Edited on 1-21-2019 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-21-2019 at 06:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just can't get over what a fucked up world this is now. A family adopts a couple of black cats and for their efforts they get compared to the Michael Fassbender character in 12 Years A Slave, just because they're white? I must be blind to have missed when these kinds of accusations became a regular part of this discourse. It never ends!

- David-8

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2401
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 1-21-2019 at 08:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Can we just rename this thread Pad's Pity Party?

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-21-2019 at 09:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Don't get me wrong. I'm not making any commentary here. I'm just asking questions. What I think has to happen though, for society to move forward, is to find a way to keep dangerous racists like Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Maher from setting foot on college campuses. This situation won't improve without strong intervention.

The future is in good hands.

- David-8

niles81
Showstopper

Posts 718
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 01:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

Edit: Someone can now slowly and begrudgingly intervene on me for the “man” thing I just did. You have to wait at least 3 posts though.

Consider yourself thoroughly intervened. 3 posts have passed and I cannot remain silent any longer.

Cats don't have owners - they have primary caretakers who cater to their needs at the cat's whim. Therefore, one who states they own a cat is a liar and not to be taken seriously. They have never been aquainted with a cat and probably don't even know what one looks like if they say they've owned one.

They are also probably a racist.

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4982
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 1-21-2019 at 04:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Can we just rename this thread Pad's Pity Party?

Give a man enough rope...

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 980
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 04:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by niles81
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

Consider yourself thoroughly intervened. 3 posts have passed and I cannot remain silent any longer.

Cats don't have owners - they have primary caretakers who cater to their needs at the cat's whim. Therefore, one who states they own a cat is a liar and not to be taken seriously. They have never been aquainted with a cat and probably don't even know what one looks like if they say they've owned one.

They are also probably a racist.

That didn't make me feel any better about cat owners or caretakers or whatever. But I'll rewatch the Gillette commercial for cues on how to act.

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11518
Registered 12-16-2008

posted on 1-21-2019 at 05:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is the reason it's not ok for a man to have a cat because they don't need as much attention and maintenance? Sort of like how it's more manly to drive a manual transmission because it requires more work and work is seen as manly? Dogs are seen as man's best friend because they're so needy that they require constant communication of some sort with the man, so the two have to be close at all times. Cats can hide in a room all day, come out to eat, and then go back into hiding for the night. Much easier to care for, which I assume also means less manly?

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 980
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 06:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
Is the reason it's not ok for a man to have a cat because they don't need as much attention and maintenance? Sort of like how it's more manly to drive a manual transmission because it requires more work and work is seen as manly? Dogs are seen as man's best friend because they're so needy that they require constant communication of some sort with the man, so the two have to be close at all times. Cats can hide in a room all day, come out to eat, and then go back into hiding for the night. Much easier to care for, which I assume also means less manly?

It seems you are questioning the masculinity of those that like dogs, suggesting they are somehow emotionally needy and must have that constant reassurance.

And, of course, driving a manual transmission is more manly.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-21-2019 at 08:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Personally I think the guy is a piece of trash and should be shot between the eyes with a ball of his own shit, oh sorry, didn't mean to say that out loud. My bad.

- David-8

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3234
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: Can't Even

posted on 1-21-2019 at 08:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't question the masculinity of any pOOster. I do, however, wonder about the sanity of some (myself included.)
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-21-2019 at 08:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sanity is over-rated in a world dominated by dumb & vicious children.

- David-8

niles81
Showstopper

Posts 718
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 08:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sanity is NOT overrated - they are UNDERUTILIZED!!! It's those fucking writer monkeys who don't know how to use these four perfectly talented individual workers!

Shit! Now we're talking about cats, dogs, monkeys AND racism! Thanks Gillette!!! Now I know how to be a MAN!!!

[Edited on 1-21-2019 by niles81]

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11518
Registered 12-16-2008

posted on 1-21-2019 at 08:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bopol
It seems you are questioning the masculinity of those that like dogs, suggesting they are somehow emotionally needy and must have that constant reassurance.

And, of course, driving a manual transmission is more manly.

No, I don't think a man who gets a dog is emotionally needy. I think the dog itself is emotionally needy, and devoting so much time and effort into it is seen as manly, whereas having a cat that requires minimum time and effort is seen as not manly because it's less work. Basically, the saying "work smarter, not harder" seems like it equates to "be less of a man" in certain situations.

Also, modern day automatic transmissions get better gas mileage than their manual counterparts and are so fine-tuned to shift when necessary that driving a manual is the equivalent of owning a dog...it's working harder, not smarter.

niles81
Showstopper

Posts 718
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-21-2019 at 08:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
"work smarter, not harder"

Is this the text equivalent of a dick pic?!? Are we talking about boners now?!? Does Gillette require me to shave my pubes?!?

*Sorry for stepping on your gif game, janerd - this one was too good not to share.

[Edited on 1-22-2019 by niles81]

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3234
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: Can't Even

posted on 1-21-2019 at 11:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You say too good not to share, I say horrifying nightmare fuel.

Potato, potato. (That doesn't work so well in print, dammit.)

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 1-22-2019 at 12:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote

Po-TAY-to
Po-TAH-o

EDIT: Aaaand...going back to watch the fucking commercial again because apparently I need it to be reminded again...

[Edited on 1-22-2019 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top