The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gillette Commercial
CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4982
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 1-17-2019 at 05:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Gillette Commercial

So, the razor company Gillette put out a recent ad addressing the #metoo movement and "toxic masculinity". It's controversial and has evoked a lot of emotions. Here it is:

Since most (all?) of us are male, I wanted to get your opinions about it. I agree with the general idea behind it: that there is a lot of sexism and misogyny in our world and that men should hold other men accountable in not doing that sort of thing. However, the finer points irked me. The idea that traditional masculinity (men grilling, boys getting into fistfights, etc.) is something "bad" or "toxic" and the subtle implication that most (all?) men are fucking terrible. Also, I'm annoyed by the idea that a multi-million dollar international corporation is trying to preach ethics and morality to me. I get the message, but I fucking despise the messenger.

So any nuanced takes on this? Or are we just all HURR DURR SJW FEMINAZIS BLAH BLAH BLAH?

[Edited on 1-17-2019 by CCharger]

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 980
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-17-2019 at 07:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't have any problem with the message.

I don't think it makes a good commercial though.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

Mood: criminal record soon

posted on 1-17-2019 at 07:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Corporate virtue-signalling remains consistently and hilariously hypocritical if nothing else.

Gillette - the horniest a man can get.

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 1-18-2019 at 01:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
IMO:

I think the ad basically states, what many men want to deny/ignore, that most men are assholes to each other and women.

There is a millennial on my facebook friends that is losing his shit about this (and feminists in general), so I was thinking that maybe my generation was bad and millennials are not that bad, so I spoke to a few millennial women, and after they watched the video I asked them simply is that an accurate representation of how the majority of men treat them, and they all said yes.

That being said, I do not think they are saying all men suck, they show several men stepping in, or at lease looking uncomfortable with the actions of the other men, but I do think there are more crappy men out there then good ones, and the message of "be better", is not a bad thing, regardless of who is saying it.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3048
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 1-18-2019 at 05:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just think it’s interesting that a message that men should be a little nicer to people bothers the Pepe crowd so much. Welcome to Male Privilege 101 in the Trump Age: The right to be a dick is most important.

[Edited on 1-18-2019 by denverpunk]

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 1-18-2019 at 08:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Somebody compared this ad to those old "Friends don't let friends drive drunk" ads, inasmuch as it's targeting a specific behavior. That is to say, if you don't drive drunk, then those ads aren't criticizing you, and if you're not a bully/creep/harasser/etc., these ads aren't criticizing you.

Honestly, it doesn't really even go after men's bad behavior all that hard. Seems to me the message isn't "bullying/catcalling/groping/mansplaining/whatever is bad," it's "if you see some A-hole doing one of those things, maybe don't just pretend not to notice."

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-18-2019 at 09:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I am a career Marketer by profession.

If I were to have anything against this, or any company latching onto or adopting a 'social theme', it's the motivation behind it...which is ultimately $$$...and people in turn mistaking that for pure altruism.

It is extremely rare for a for-profit company to put any sort of marketing or branding message out there that they don't believe is going to have a positive impact - short to medium term - on their bottom line.

They've done research. They see an opportunity. They've run the risk assessments. The business case is positive and the sensitivities on it ("what if our assumptions are off by x%"...) are good.

That doesn't mean they don't get that wrong sometimes..."we were expecting X and got Y", but it doesn't mean that the motivations were different.

To be clear, I'm not saying that I personally have that as an issue here. It's a positive message overall, and the people it seems to be triggering are either the ones guilty of the behaviors highlighted and/or are wrapping it up in a broader (and stupid) political narrative.

I honestly don't recall what razor blades I buy and this commercial isn't going to change that.

I am saying though that their motives are $$ and not altruistic and not to confuse the two (not that anyone here did that, at least not yet).

EDIT: Checked Amazon and apparently I buy Schick blades and have a Schick razor. There I go. Not switching to Gillette because of this and if I had found out that I was Gillette that wouldn't have changed either.

[Edited on 1-18-2019 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-18-2019 at 10:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike...but I do think there are more crappy men out there then good ones...

I'd say the exact opposite. Certain places and associations certainly gather more pricks and aggressors than good guys, like on sports teams, in college frats, or in the executive ranks of corporations or banks. Or on the internet, especially at noted places like 4Chan, Reddit, or the alt-right sites where them behaving that way is seen as a badge of honour. No denying that. Overall though, in daily life? Nah. Unless it's a generational thing and for some reason millennial and Gen Z males are being spectacularly worse than boomer or Gen X males were then the ad is veering towards a collective guilt accusation. Ain't none of us here who are responsible for what Eliot Rodgers, Roosh V, or Donald Trump do or how they act just because we have the same sort of genitalia that they do.

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4982
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 1-19-2019 at 01:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike...but I do think there are more crappy men out there then good ones...

Or on the internet, especially at noted places like 4Chan, Reddit, or the alt-right sites where them behaving that way is seen as a badge of honour.

You mean like bodybuilding message boards?

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-19-2019 at 01:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Found your circle of allies yet that are gonna come and get me? Or is your sole Virgil that mouthy English prat who posts once a month?

- David-8

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 980
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-19-2019 at 03:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Found your circle of allies yet that are gonna come and get me? Or is your sole Virgil that mouthy English prat who posts once a month?

You might want to watch the video again.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-19-2019 at 08:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Does "be the better man" include some OCD dipshit trying to bring a fight from elsewhere into this thread just for his own amusement? Take a look at who fired the first shot here, for no reason other than to be a punk. It fucking certainly wasn't me.

- David-8

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 980
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-19-2019 at 05:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Does "be the better man" include some OCD dipshit trying to bring a fight from elsewhere into this thread just for his own amusement? Take a look at who fired the first shot here, for no reason other than to be a punk. It fucking certainly wasn't me.

Let me watch the video again...

Yeah, 1:18, the ginger on the ground totally started it.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-19-2019 at 08:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
k.

- David-8

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1591
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

Dude, if you're seeing a highly nonspecific "people who kvetch about so-called SJWs are annoying" line as a personal attack on you, you might want to think about why that is.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's personal because it was entirely meant that way. Don't think for a second that it wasn't.

I was going to post the new WWE video of Kofi's greatest RR moments. Then I decided not to because one of the self-appointed board regulators would chime in that I'm not allowed to show or say anything positive about a black guy because I'm clearly the Ultimo Nazi Racist around here for thinking another wrestler who made some dumb internet comments a long time ago shouldn't be harried by the neo-puritans for the rest of his life. My error obviously. I'm old now and don't understand how the new world of the woke youngsters works.

[Edited on 1/19/2019 by Paddlefoot]

- David-8

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3234
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: Can't Even

posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
..yikes. that escalated quickly.
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-20-2019 at 02:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
I was going to post the new WWE video of Kofi's greatest RR moments.

YOU BETTER NOT HAVE FUCKING POSTED IT IN THIS THREAD BECAUSE THIS THREAD IS ABOUT GILLETTE'S COMMERCIAL AND NOT WRESTLING

Don't Mess With Texas

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1935
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 1-20-2019 at 03:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hot (medium?) take: most of Kofi’s “greatest RR moments” are bullshit

I'm Cherokee Jack!

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

Mood: Donkey Show

posted on 1-20-2019 at 04:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 980
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-20-2019 at 05:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
It's personal because it was entirely meant that way. Don't think for a second that it wasn't.

I was going to post the new WWE video of Kofi's greatest RR moments. Then I decided not to because one of the self-appointed board regulators would chime in that I'm not allowed to show or say anything positive about a black guy because I'm clearly the Ultimo Nazi Racist around here for thinking another wrestler who made some dumb internet comments a long time ago shouldn't be harried by the neo-puritans for the rest of his life. My error obviously. I'm old now and don't understand how the new world of the woke youngsters works.

[Edited on 1/19/2019 by Paddlefoot]

Geez, Pad. I feel bad that my kidding around may have accidentally gotten under your skin. Since I am totally inspired by the Gillette commercial affirming my newfound masculinity, let me assure you that you are a valuable member of the community and I enjoy reading most of your posts as well as your kickass avatar.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-20-2019 at 09:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Please ignore my several hundred anti-GOP and anti-MAGA posts. I'll be busy beating my wife and burning a cross on the lawn of the Asian family down the street. I also use Schick products, once saw Andrew Dice Clay live in concert, and Hulk Hogan is my favourite wrestler.

[Edited on 1-20-2019 by Paddlefoot]

- David-8

Planet Starbucks
And I am AWESOME

Posts 115
Registered 1-28-2013
Location England

Mood: Medicated

posted on 1-20-2019 at 09:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Please ignore my several hundred anti-GOP and anti-MAGA posts. I'll be busy beating my wife and burning a cross on the lawn of the Asian family down the street. I also use Schick products, once saw Andrew Dice Clay live in concert, and Hulk Hogan is my favourite wrestler.

[Edited on 1-20-2019 by Paddlefoot]

Man, Berty was infuriating but at least he wasn't a whiny, self pitying bitch! (Sick burn delivered in full 'edgy' Becky Lynch style).

Yours,

The mouthy English prat who posts once a month (might wanna try it sometime).

quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
If you want a vision of the WWE's future, imagine an overpushed Samoan stamping on a human face - forever. George Orwell, 2016 (sequel to 1984)

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 1-20-2019 at 09:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As any Irish or Scottish person who ever had to deal with your kind of Englishman would undoubtedly agree, I don't want anything to do with you Sassenach bastards and never did in the first place.

- David-8

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 679
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack

One of my favorite episodes from that show.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top