The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Game of Thrones: The Only Show That Matters in 2019
bopol
Showstopper

Posts 981
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-14-2019 at 01:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Sopranos didn't.
[Edited on 5/13/2019 by Paddlefoot]

The Sopranos ending was awesome. Tony totally got whacked.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7736
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 5-14-2019 at 01:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dany’s Heel turn has been subtle...which is why I think the over the top burn everything attack felt off. She was more focused on people bending the knee to her than freeing those enslaved last season, and has been on the edge all of this season.

And man, Cersei had a very human moment, begging for her life, but her death was an example of GoT not giving us a satisfying ending. We’ve been waiting since Episode 1 for the Lannister siblings to get there’s at the hands of the Starks.

Nope.

Also, I wouldn’t be shocked if Dany heads North to take out Sansa, setting up the final battle of Jon vs Dany. I can see Jon winning (after surviving a dracarys execution) and just walking away from everything.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10543
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Mordor of the soul

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 5-14-2019 at 06:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ask a smart war-studying guy!

https://slate.com/culture/2019/05/battle-kings-landing-got-military-analysis-tactics.html

It was a constant throughout the entire series that, no matter what she accomplished, Dany was underestimated. Even after "birthing" the dragons, even after killing the Dothraki khals, it was the same thing - a small girl who needs to listen to the advice of those alleged more intelligent than her. Then she annihilates the defenses of Kings Landing in short order and proves herself a military genius on par with Aegon The Conqueror and Tywin Lannister. The fun part of the last episode will be finding out if she torched the city out of simple madness or if there was a brutally cruel yet viciously logical strategy behind it. Whatever the reason was there's no doubt as to whom the supreme power in that ugly world is now.

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7335
Registered 5-24-2004
Member Is Online

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 5-14-2019 at 09:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here's the one thing I don't want to see on Sunday: a time jump. Not like the "here's the epilogue, let's see how everyone is doing now that it's been over for a few years" type of time jump. I mean like the ones Walking Dead ruined, where we get Daenerys's victory to open up, maybe Tyrion or Arya tries to, and fails, to assassinate her and they die, or she flies off to Winterfell to torch Sansa, Bran, and everyone else that hasn't left yet, and then we skip a few years and everyone has just kind of settled in, but something else has happened that we're back to dealing with the hot button issue of Daenerys murdered most of the people of King's Landing with the help of her departed dad and is not getting better as a person. With how the last episode ended, finding out that everyone just kind of put their head down to work out a plot to kill Daenerys, Drogon, the Unsullied, and the Doth'raki just doesn't seem logical, especially since the Doth'raki are more than likely going to be sent out into Westeros to "keep the Queen's peace" with no supervision, and they've just reminded everyone that they're more than happy to ride down the streets and cut down any civilians that the dragon missed.

This storyline just feels like one that needs to be wrapped up in the show's present. And then if they want to do a time jump because, I don't know, Daenerys managed to escape at the very end and a few years after the fact she gets what's coming to her? That's fine. I just expect this show's group of characters to have a higher group IQ than Rick and the Gang.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10543
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 5-14-2019 at 10:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Time jump looks unlikely going by the trailer for the finale. They don't seem to resort to trickery like that with GOT. I'd expect Cersei & Jamie & the Cleganes to crawl out of the wreckage unscathed if this were Star Trek or one of the dopey CW DC heroes shows but there's no real reason to believe GOT would try something this insulting.

[Edited on 5/14/2019 by Paddlefoot]

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7909
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 5-14-2019 at 11:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm mostly worried about the "dream/snowglobe" ending where everything that's happened has only happened in Bran's head because he wanted to imagine a world where he was important after getting crippled by Jaime and we flashback to seeing Bran lying in bed telling this story to Rickon or Summer.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3943
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 5-15-2019 at 12:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well the good news is, if after episode 6 you are not satisfied, just wait until George finishes the books, because it is my understanding that his (the book's) ending will probably be different than the show.

And nerds can argue for years over which is better.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7335
Registered 5-24-2004
Member Is Online

posted on 5-16-2019 at 01:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, yeah they’ll be different: the show will actually have an ending. Can’t really make that guarantee with the books.

[Edited on 5-16-2019 by nOOb]

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7335
Registered 5-24-2004
Member Is Online

posted on 5-20-2019 at 03:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Everyone gets a happy ending! Except Daenerys. But everyone else does!

Which I assume means that the exact opposite is going to happen with the books.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7736
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 5-20-2019 at 04:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Tyrion dropping two powerful monologues. Drogon melting the Iron Throne, Arya saying she’ll kill a bitch. Jon petting Ghost. This season had big issues, but they stuck the landing.

Also...Drogon not only let Jon by, which allowed Jon to kill Dany, he chose not to kill Jon after. That fucking dragon KNEW what needed to be done more than Jon did.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7519
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-20-2019 at 07:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Also...Drogon not only let Jon by, which allowed Jon to kill Dany, he chose not to kill Jon after. That fucking dragon KNEW what needed to be done more than Jon did.

Considering Drogon is the one who torched all those thousands of people last week, I'm not sure if I necessarily agree with that. I thought it was more him recognizing Jon as the true Targaryen heir and thus not doing anything to fuck with him.

And I really have no problems with how things were wrapped up. I think my only qualm is everything felt kind of rushed (like how we last saw Brienne crying after Jaime left Winterfell and then the next time we see her she's just hanging out with all the Westeros VIPs), but otherwise I don't have any "man, they fucked up the ending so bad!" feelings about the series finale. Okay, I'm still a bit salty about the Night King getting killed off mid-season, but other than that I'm good.

My one question though: with the White Walkers defeated and the Wildings no longer a threat, what exactly is the purpose of the Night's Watch? It doesn't really seem like they have anything to protect the rest of the realm from.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7335
Registered 5-24-2004
Member Is Online

posted on 5-20-2019 at 09:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I’m operating under the assumption that the Night King didn’t kill EVERY wildling north of the Wall that didn’t come with Jon, so I’d assume they’re more of a “wildling police force” at this point to make sure clans like the Thenn don’t come across and start raiding. Or maybe they just exist so that it looks like there’s a Nights Watch if the Unsullied, Doth’raki, or Yara Greyjoy ever decide to check so that Jon has an excuse for pretty much not getting punished (“Oh, Jon’s on a scouting mission, he’ll be back in a few months”).

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3943
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 5-20-2019 at 12:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
My one question though: with the White Walkers defeated and the Wildings no longer a threat, what exactly is the purpose of the Night's Watch? It doesn't really seem like they have anything to protect the rest of the realm from.

Jon asked the same question last night, and like Tyrion said, there will always be a need for a place to put the bastards and criminals.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 981
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-20-2019 at 04:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not thrilled with the ending. Mostly, King Bran and the lack of Arya, who I thought would play a more important role.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

Laruecifer
Fella

Posts 308
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood: stoneded

posted on 5-20-2019 at 04:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm trying to figure out why GreyWorm wouldn't have killed Jon as soon as he found out about Dany.
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 692
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-20-2019 at 08:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laruecifer
I'm trying to figure out why GreyWorm wouldn't have killed Jon as soon as he found out about Dany.

I was thinking the same thing. And Tyrion. This ending kind of sucked. Too much happiness after all of the twists and killings the story brought about. Are the Dothraki just going to live in peace somewhere? That doesn’t seem to be their thing.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8843
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 5-20-2019 at 08:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jon didn't have to tell anyone. No witnesses. No body.

"Hey - I saw her fly off with her dragon" is not a lie...of course it leaves out the part about her being dead when she did and that he was the one who made her dead. Not a full truth....but not a lie.

Damn honesty and integrity..

Don't Mess With Texas

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3943
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 5-20-2019 at 08:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

Large blood stain...

Laruecifer
Fella

Posts 308
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood: stoneded

posted on 5-20-2019 at 09:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
and why imprison him if they didn't know he killed Dany?
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 5-20-2019 at 09:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm ok with King Bran - it's not a sexy choice, but it's a choice that makes sense in the changing of this world, and particularly after Tyrion's monologue. Arya could've fit the "stories" thing too, but Arya becoming an adventurer is much more fitting. I do wish she got to do more here, but since this episode wasn't about battles, it works.

The ending was a happier ending than I expected for our characters except Dany, who I actually did not think would die this episode. I DID think the Iron Throne was going to melt by dragon fire, but not due to a mourning dragon after Dany dying.

Sansa becoming queen of an independent north is great. The king now sitting in a wheelchair instead of the iron throne is nice, and basically having his council run things for him in a new world (with no master of war or whisperers) is nice too. The Starks basically rule the whole known world. I'm pretty ok with who is on the council as well.

And hey, Jon may be exiled, but he's back where he's most comfortable - with his rag tag night's watch and the wildings. Not much of a prison when he can go riding past the wall freely.

It's weird, I expected a sadder or more messed up ending than we got, which actually threw me for a loop, but after re-watching the episode, I'm more ok with this happy ending. I felt like it was like the end of Return of the King. LOTS of things to tie up with these characters, and a lot of time needed to do that.

If anything, the pacing of the episode was a bit funky, but I think the pacing of the season was a bit funky as well. I still enjoyed it, and the series was so much fun to watch and be engrossed in.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8843
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 5-20-2019 at 09:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

Large blood stain...

Miscarriage and/or monthly special red tent time.

Don't Mess With Texas

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10543
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 5-20-2019 at 11:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I am content with the ending. Multiple re-viewings are required though before a final decision can be made. It probably ended as it should have because a messianic egomaniacal Dany was going to burn the world exactly the same way she did to the city, and there was really only that one moment to stop her. Arya doing it might have been visually better but Jon doing it made it sadder and he did it in the only moment he had available

Tyrion's analysis of Dany was spot-on too, and it applied to the fans as much as it did to the characters. By performing miracles, surrounding herself with good people who believed in her & her mission, and making an effort to kill evil men to save good ones, Dany had succeeding in doing a multi-year swerve of basically everyone. She conned a lot of people, up to an including Cersei, that she was a wimp and a walkover. And she conned everyone else, like Jon & Tyrion, that she wasn't insane at all in the manner her father and brother Viserys were - they were basically unaware or unwilling until the end to see that fanaticism and believing oneself to be a liberating messiah are just another form of madness. In the end, and from the very beginning, by annihilating the evil ones first Dany really did succeed in masking that she was the worst monster of them all. I've rewatched each episode from the beginning of the series multiple times and up until the destruction of Kings Landing she genuinely fooled me. I knew that she was going to destroy the city because the series had to end that way. I didn't know though, until re-watching and understanding that "making the world better for future generations" she made to Tyrion, that she fully intended to annihilate the current generation in order to do it. She didn't want to just break the wheel, she wanted to destroy the game and the game-board it was played on entirely. And she made it sound sane too, not like a drooling maniac like her father, which is something only the best and most-skilled fanatical charismatics can do.

Jon was happiest with the Wildlings, even when he was betraying them back in season three. Fitting that he gets to disappear with them back into the wild, far away from the civilized and their games. Good swerve on Grey Worm too, with the exile of Jon to the redundant Night's Watch, because the Unsullied wouldn't have known that what Tyrion had done was just giving Jon a chance to escape to the wild. It keeps the Targaryen blood alive in the world but effectively and permanently removes them away from ever being in power again, anywhere.

[Edited on 5/20/2019 by Paddlefoot]

Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

Mood: Plotting

posted on 5-25-2019 at 05:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was on board for the most part, even when John gave Dany the final poke, that had to happen.

The rest of it was messed up.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5933
Registered 1-28-2013
Location THE WORST IN THE WOOOOORLD

Mood: Climate Taint

posted on 5-30-2019 at 01:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply