The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bahamas
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 1-16-2019 at 01:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bahamas

just booked our vacation for 5 days at an all inclusive resort on Paradise Island, and I have a question for anyone that has traveled to Nassau or anywhere in the Bahamas.

Since it is all inclusive I was thinking I can limit my cash on the trip, but we are going to do some sightseeing and probably will shop some of the vendors and that will require cash, so do I stick with dollars, or convert to Bahama dollars? Do most vendors take USD or will I be getting fleeced on their conversion rates?

Thanks.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

Laruecifer
Fella

Posts 308
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood: stoneded

posted on 1-16-2019 at 02:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was there about 8 years ago, and everyone took U.S. dollars. I don't recall using any Bahamian currency
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-17-2019 at 04:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've been to the Bahamas but it was a private island (owned by a cruise line, gorgeous though)...

I would imagine they take US cash, but I'm betting if there's a difference in the exchange rate you're probably going to be swapping it at par or worse. I was in Cuba a few years ago and they have their local currency, but they also have their made up tourist currency that's par to the US dollar.

Odds are if you need cash and they do only take local coin of the realm your hotel will be able to swap it... at a mark up of course... although really; even if you went to your local bank and got the cash before hand they'd charge you extra fees to order the cash for you anyway.

Long story short... conversion sucks.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12617
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-17-2019 at 11:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I went in 2000, never had to exchange currency. You should be fine.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3051
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 1-18-2019 at 05:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A lot of Caribbean islands prefer American currency to their own. You should be fine.
coxito
IMPUDENT WRETCH!

Posts -147
Registered 9-17-2012

Mood: National

posted on 1-19-2019 at 02:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you're going to the straw market or something like that they all take USD as of 6 months ago. They also have ATMs on site but the fees are ridiculous. Take more cash than you think you could possibly need because you dont want to run out and have to use the island ATMs and pay international transaction fees from your bank.

A tip for the straw market- take small bills and really keep them separated. If you see something you want that's $7 be able to easily pull out a $5 and say that's all you have. They will still jump on it, save you a couple bucks and then you can then pull another 5 or 10 from your bankroll. If you like to haggle a lot of the vendors with booths beside each other have been there for years so you can make your own bundle even if it's not all from the same place.

BC
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1805
Registered 3-30-2002
Location in the bush

Mood: Blessed be

posted on 1-20-2019 at 12:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Typically vendors in resort, port, and common vacation areas want US. But stay in these areas. The Bahamas are rough outside those areas. At least the parts of GBI I saw
loki
HOMO

Posts 2086
Registered 6-11-2004

Mood: Primed

posted on 1-20-2019 at 11:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was in Nassau less than a year ago. Government facilities made us pay in Bahamian Dollars or with credit cards. Every other place took American Dollars as well as Bahamian Dollars. The exchange rate still stands at 1 to 1, so if you're playing tourist you'll be fine without converting your money. A lot of the vendors also take credit cards. Not all of them do, though, so have some cash on hand.

Having said that - if you pay in American money some of the vendors will give you change in Bahamian money.

The beaches there are fun. Some of the beaches have people that cut open coconuts, pour Pina Coladas inside and sell them to you. They cost us $14, but you could get a refill for $5. Be advised: The Bahamians we bought from were very generous with their alcohol, so the drinks were a lot more potent than we were used to. So you can get hammered for less. Bonus!

Also, the ice cream trucks play a Calypso Remix of the ice cream truck song. Wicked awesome.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 4-30-2019 at 03:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We are back from the trip, and an update for anyone interested.

It was fan fucking tastic. The resort was adults only, I STRONGLY recommend going this route, because there were way too many kids running around when we left the resort.

The food was excellent, the alcohol plentiful, and the staff amazing.

Probably as close to paradise as I will ever see.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 5-7-2019 at 03:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What was the name of the resort?

I just now poking around and considering a trip to the Caribbean.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 5-8-2019 at 06:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBMN
What was the name of the resort?

I just now poking around and considering a trip to the Caribbean.

RIU Paradise Island.

If you are thinking about it, sign up for their newsletter and points program. Since I did both, and waited to book, I ended up with a 25% discount for my stay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top