The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2019 Movie Round Up
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 4-5-2019 at 08:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
SHAZAM!

I'll do my best to avoid spoilers for with this one as I usually do, but there's some stuff I want to touch on that might be a bit spoilery for non-comics fans; so proceed with caution.

First off; while quite entertaining, DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE IN 3D... Until now the Jason Mamoa Conan was the worst movie I'd ever seen in 3D, and at least in that case I can attribute that one to it being the early days of modern 3D when they were converting movie into 3D which radically darkens the image; in the case of Conan it felt like you were watching any one of it's numerous cavern scenes by candle... Okay maybe Shazam isn't the worst, but given that 10 years have passed since 3D has been around I was pretty disappointed by what they did here; not only did the 3D offer nothing, the darkened image took away from what I think of as the vibrancy of Captain (Shazam) Marvel.. Just something that DC movies tend to wrestle with anyway; as I think often heroes fall into two categories: Day time heroes and night time heroes... I don't mean that heroes punch a clock and can't right wrongs while on down time; more that artistically some characters lend themselves better to a day or night time setting... Superman and the Flash; Day time, Batman or Daredevil; Night time. Given that childlike nature of Shazam/Captain Marvel and his bright colours I think he lends himself better to day time (although they did do some nice night effects with the glowing lightning bolt in his chest)... There's plenty of day time in the movie, but also lots of indoors and night stuff that over it's 2 hr and 12 min run time the darkened 3D makes some of it a trudge to get through.

Why Captain Marvel or Shazam? Yeah the timing makes it confusing, but I'm not working in references to the recent Marvel movie... For those not in the know Shazam IS Captain Marvel... well, kinda: Waaaaaay back in 1939 Fawcett comics in an attempt to cash in on the brand new (well 1 year old) Superman came up with a knock off character called Captain Thunder which would amazingly enough go on to outsell Superman. Turns out the Captain Thunder name was already trademarked so he was rechristened Captain Marvelous, which in turn go shortened to Captain Marvel. DC comics took notice as apparently a flying super strong hero with a bald evil scientist for an arch nemesis was a little too close for comfort to Superman... So in 1941 DC sued after about a decade of mixed decisions largely going against them Fawcett settled and by 1954 were out of the comics game. In the intervening years there were a few small revival attempts (hilariously enough one of them became Miracleman which kind of morphed into his own thing, but wound up going through a host of lawsuits before Marvel comics wound up with the ownership)... By the early 70's DC licensed the character and would eventually own him outright, problem is in those intervening years Marvel Comics came up with their own Captain Marvel (well, over the years maybe a half dozen of them) and given the name of their company were pretty litigious about keeping the name... So on comic book covers DC's Captain Marvel had to be Shazam, or The Power of Shazam, or some other variations over the years, but in the book could still go by Captain Marvel... Basically by this point DC has given up as most people just confuse his names anyway, and in the comics he's largely become known as Shazam now (fun aside, on my first day of university I wore a Captain Marvel t-shirt with the stylized lightning bolt on it, and a guy I met who'd go on to be one of my best friends mistook it for The Flash, and took to calling me Flash... well, everybody did for a while... so there's my OO handle secret origin).

Now taking the above into account here's what I'm curious about should they decide to use them in a heroic fashion... Over the years foster kid Billy Batson hasn't been the only Captain Marvel; his sister, and various foster siblings have all taken on a Marvel moniker... Mary Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr... ect; So I'm curious how they handle it in the movies, as those names are sufficiently different and precede Marvel's Marvel by decades... but hey; confusion.

So who is Shazam? In a nutshell he's a foster kid who because of his kind heart is chosen by an ancient wizard (named Shazam) to become his magical champion on Earth... That's what the movie is about more or less as he combats the seven deadly sins and their own avatar; Dr. Sivana. It's a lot of fun and the Superman meets Big descriptions being bandied about are pretty spot on, as by saying the making word... SHAZAM, teenager Batson turns into adult Captain Marvel... er Shazam. The movie definitely plays with what it is to be a kid in todays day and age as they both make us of social media and a limited view of cashing in on being a hero... Good stuff, with some well done action scenes.

I think this one is worth watching in the theatres; I enjoyed it, and I think that while it does tend towards some bleakness and there's some violence and creepy monsters in there that might be a bit too much for the younger audiences, it falls more in line with the happy go luckiness of Aquaman than the nihilistic contemplations of Snyder's DC movies... SO maybe a touch darker than I expected, but still a lot of fun.

Oh... and you're going to walk out of the movie if you aren't familiar with Shazam and go "what the hell was that last image?" It's Mister Mind... a pretty major Captain Marvel villain; I mean remember old comics had a lot of weird stuff in them back in the 40's and 50's... Like apparently the lone the survivor of Krypton wasn't just Superman... It was Supergirl, and his dog, and her cat, and a horse, and I think a monkey even.

Unrelated to Shazam... Aladdin trailer at the start of the movie looks pretty meh.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 4-5-2019 at 08:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
Aladdin trailer at the start of the movie looks pretty meh.

I can't get over how fucking weird the genie looks with Will Smith's face on that bald blue body.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 4-8-2019 at 08:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah the whole trailer just feels off; like even the colour timing of it gives it this weird vibe... But yeah; Smith is probably where it all stands out the most. Shame as I think this is one where they could have done some cool stuff with the visuals of it.

I'm kind of hit and miss with Guy Ritchie, who's directing it... I thought he found a style that worked with King Arthur and the two Sherlock Holmes movies, but sometimes he's kind of constrained...

Oh well, I'm sure it will make several hundred million dollars whether I see it or not.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 4-10-2019 at 09:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
PET SEMATARY

Saw this one tonight and honestly was a bit disappointed by it; It just really felt like the needless remake that we often accuse Hollywood of doing. Yes it does depart from the novel and 1989 movie in a few different ways, but nothing so profound either story wise, or visually that it begged to be remade. Where it ultimately goes wrong is that at it crux it teases a far more interesting story than that which unfolds on the screen; namely the demon in the woods, what's happened in the past, and just in general the "sematary's" origins. A close runner up for script problems is some elements are over developed, while others are under developed... There might have been some fun that could have been had with Rachel's nightmare omens, or the ghostly accident victim who tries to warn the family off... See An American Werewolf in London for how this can be done really well... See Pet Sematary 2019 for how it can be done really poorly.

In brief the Creed family has moved to a small Maine town from the big city (in the book I want to say it's Chicago, here it's Boston... Not that it matters) in hopes of experiencing a quieter life; Louis, the patriarch, quickly takes to being a small town doctor and befriends neighbour Jud... Kind of the elderly keeper of town secrets. The Creed's have a cat named Church (short for Churchill of the Winston variety), and two young kids; Gage a toddler and Ellie who's 8. There's some backstory and frequent discussions about death which ties to some unresolved issues that Rachel, the mother has... which is pretty timely as living on a country highway the family cat falls prey to one of the many speeding transport trucks that whip by. Jud feeling for his friend, shows him a secret cemetery (misspelled Sematary) where thanks to some ancient evilness in the woods, things come back... Problem is he forgets to mention that sometimes they don't come back right. From there things are in motion as good intentions fall short, further tragedy strikes, and as the movie's tag line says... Sometimes dead is better.

I'm a huge John Lithgow fan, so it's always fun to see him getting to cut loose a bit; although his constant twitching like he's hearing some whispering in the woods no one else can doesn't didn't quite grab me the same way that Fred Gwynn's "ah shucks" did in the original... I also think Gwynn's being known for playing Herman Munster helped juxtapose the role a bit when things turned a bit more sinister. Jason Clarke was decent in this, but I just don't think he was very challenged... Ditto for Amy Seimetz who played Rachel. The girl who plays Ellie... Jete Laurence steals the show; getting to play a the cute kid everyone loves, and at the other extreme something more sinister.

I don't think this will go down as an all time bad King adaptation (I'm looking at you Lawnmower Man), but it certainly continues the trend of King adapted works that are mediocre and fail to live up to the potential of the source material. I don't think anyone would regret watching it, but definitely more of a Netflix type thing for a boring Saturday.

Just for fun; Flash's favourite King adaptations in no particular order

1. Battleground (made for tv adapt, Nightmares and Dreamscapes)
2. Carrie
3. Graveyard Shift
4. IT (miniseries)
5. Christine (King and Carpenter.. how can you miss?)
6. Shawshank Redemption
7. Stand by Me
8. The Stand (miniseries)
9. The Shining (miniseries)
10. Misery
11. The Dark Half (King and Romero... again!)
12. Green Mile
13. The Dead Zone (King and Cronenberg!)
14. The Mist
15. 1408
16. Needful Things (Max Von Sydow is just having too much fun to not love it)

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 4-13-2019 at 08:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
HELLBOY

I actually saw this one on Thursday night before the reviews came out... I don't think it warrants the (last I saw) 12% it was sitting on metacritic, but it wasn't the movie I think a lot of us hoped it might be.

For those not in the know this isn't a continuation from the Guillermo Del Toro helmed, Ron Pearlman starred movies from several years ago... or rather is that a decade ago; man time flies. It's a reboot that draws more from the various comics storylines... and honestly; that's probably the problem here. Instead of distilling the stories down to their essence and then finding what works in a different medium the movie tries to cram about 4 different multi-part plot lines into one movie which means there's some big fight roughly every 15 minutes, but little time other than a quick monologue or two devoted to making those fights mean something.

I'll give the movie credit for finding a way to work Hellboy's origin into the movie in a way that worked with the story they were running with, and for drawing from the larger "Mignola-verse" (I don't know if it has a name, but Mike Mignola invented Hellboy and has a tonne of tie in books) there's a few neat cameos in there... which while cool as a comic geek, do kinda pull away from what's going on.

David Harbourd does a nice job filling in for Pearlman; and seems to be having fun even if some of his dialogue feels a bit forced. When I heard Neal Marshall was directing this one I was pretty excited; He's not a huge name director, but has helmed some neat horror films like Dog Soldiers and the Descent, and the extremely bloody apocalyptic Doomsday... While Hellboy wasn't a home run I will praise the imagination in it as several of the monster designs are quite cool, and the visuals in it are decent... The fights were a bit of simplistic and disorganized at times, but on the whole it's a pretty enough pictures filled with blood and gore. I was reading something right after a got out of the movie and it sounds like the movie had a fairly troubled production with about 16 different producers on board, and it sounds like they hijacked the film firing Marshall's cinematographer mid film, denying Marshall final cut, and even clashed with Harbourd several times as apparently he stormed off set a few times getting fed up with constant script rewrites and even in some cases he tried to write the dialogue just to get it done... So probably a case of they hired a visionary director, a well regarded actor, and then proceeded to push and pull them in 16 different directions.... which shows in the films editing as the pacing and tempo of the movie suffers.

Is it terrible? No... I was quite happy to see Mila Jovovich on the big screen again and like I said visually it's a cool movie with lot's of action. I think the R rating probably hurt it... I mean had they trimmed a few of the gorier shots and needless F-bombs they could have gone a bit wider with the release... Maybe not kids, but up here in Ontario it was 18A (I think that's the equivalent of your R rating in the States)... I mean the R just felt needless like they heard Deadpool made a lot because of the R, but forgot that Deadpool genuinely used the R to make a movie better that probably couldn't have been done under the constraints of a lower rating. None the less like I said it's not terrible, it's just not good... more okay.

Skip the theatre, probably say goodbye to Hellboy for another Decade... There's potential with the character, but honestly I think it's more in the smaller screen streaming as the demonic paranormal investigator is a great idea and Mignola has done some cool stuff milking that teet with stuff like Hellboy, BPRD, Edward Grey Witchfinder, and Baltimore among others.

Really... do yourself a favour; check out the original comics; They just got released for around $20-25 apiece in 6 omnibus collections (4 Hellboys, and 2 short story collections)... The art is gorgeous and the books are fun if you dig creepy stuff.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 4-24-2019 at 08:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
THE CURSE OF LA LLORONA

Another offering from the Conjuring-verse, and while not bad, this is a franchise that while still entertaining enough with a few good creeps and scares, has started to feel a little tired... to me anyway. Case in point one of the trailers at the start of this movie was for Annabelle 3: Annabelle comes home. Conjuring 3 is about to start shooting with a September 2020 release date, and there's a sequel to The Nun in the works, and a supposedly a Crooked man film in pre-production (because yes, every character that appears in one movie must have their own origin explaining film).

If you're keeping score the franchise has 6 movies currently out, 1 imminent (Annabelle 3 drops in June), and one in production for a total of 8 films between 2013 and 2020 (more potentially if the Nun 2 and Crooked Man movies hit)... That's getting into Marvel territory.

Still... The movies aren't half bad, and some are actually quite good. I think the yesteryear settings help the movies as it tonally gives them a different look than more contemporary slasher films, but at the same times there's only so many slamming doors, bumps from the attic, and jump scares you can take before it all starts to feel like the macarana or a line dance everyone knows the moves to.

I digress...

La Llorona is essentially a weeping woman who murdered her two children out of spite by drowning them and then promptly moved into Mexican folklore as an evil spirit (Much like most of the Conjuring movies it finds its roots in some fable or questionable "true" story). Jump to 1973 and we find recently widowed Linda Cardellini, mother of 2 children herself working in the city's child welfare office which brings her into contact with a trouble woman who on the surface appears to be potentially abusive parent, but who may in reality be haunted... It's a ghost story, so guess which one it is Flash forward through a few grizzly going on's and now it's suddenly Cardellini and her kin that are dealing with the weeping woman.

LA LLORONA has some decent jumps, although with the amount of doors opening and shutting randomly I found my mind drifting to thinking about that old 90's film The Frighteners where Michael J. Fox's ghostly cohorts went through the motions to open and shut doors... Is it spooky when you can picture the ghost just more being a dick to get a rise out of you as opposed to genuine malevolence? Kinda like who keeps locking pissed off cats in the closets of every horror film? The ghost in a white wedding like dress shows up in a lot of folklore (Lady in white) but I can't off the top of my head think of too many films featuring her... it makes for an interesting visual and probably contrasts well with last years The Nun, but it's not quite as horrific.

Cardellini is always a treat, but is mostly just there to scream "run", get thrown around a bit, and to kind of sleuth the audience through what's going on, but the movie's compressed time frame (it probably takes place over 2-3 days) hurts it a bit as the horror beats feels like a drum solo coming one after another instead of letting us get more and more invested into the family with the scares growing. There's some shots in there from rookie director Michael Chaves, but as outlined above plenty of what's familiar as well.

On the whole I'm intrigued by the timeline that the Conjuring movies kind of lay out spread over 30 years or so; the interconnectedness makes for some fun viewing, but the whole one movie spinning into another kind of robs some of these films of their originality and mystery... Case in point there's a priest/shaman like character in this movie that you just know the producers are itching to spin off into something else... Hell, La Llorona even features a small role from a character who appears in one or two of the other movies.

The verdict? Well if this was a quiet October or November when the days are short and the night is long I'd say it would make for a nice night out full of scares... It's fun enough despite a major glaring plot problem near the end that drove me nuts, but with Avengers dropping this week knowing this crowd I'd say just Netflix it... it'll hold up just as well.

Maybe call it like a 6/10.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 4-27-2019 at 04:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AVENGERS: ENDGAME

No full write up needed, its awesome

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7518
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-29-2019 at 06:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm chiming in late here, but holy shit what a massive bomb Hellboy turned out to be. I still don't understand why they didn't just try to finish out the Del Toro/Perlman trilogy, but hey, I don't work in Hollywood.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 4-30-2019 at 02:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think Del Toro just got busy (don't forget he was supposed to direct all of the Hobbit movies originally) and Hellboy III just kept getting kicked down the road further and further... The first two made some money, but not so much so that the studios were prepared to dump a bunch of cash on him to execute his own vision of it, but just enough money that they wouldn't want to lose the rights.

There's a few interesting articles floating around about what a troubled production this Hellboy had that are worth a read... Suffice it to say, not a great experience for most involved.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 5-3-2019 at 09:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm a little sleepy tonight to do my usual rambling musings, but saw THE LONG SHOT tonight and it was entertaining enough. In a nutshell a decent enough romcom that tried to infuse some politics in there... think THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT or DAVE, but with a few more drug jokes thrown in.

Fun, maybe a date night out if Avengers is still packed in your neck of the woods, but probably more of a netflixer.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 5-17-2019 at 07:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
JOHN WICK 3: PARABELUM

I'm a bit torn on this one as while the action in the Wick movies is generally top notch and stylish, there does come a point where you can only see so many one note bad guys get shot in the head or stabbed before you the franchise feels fatigued.

I think what worked so well with the original Wick was not just how visually it was so fresh, but there was a bit of a mystery there... that you kinda had this sad man who's beset by some bad luck until you realize that it's actually the thugs who stepped in it. By the time the second rolled around you could see them trying to peel back the layers on some of the backstory stuff of the Continental and the High Table... Intriguing, stylish, but missing the spark of the original. By the time we get to the third movie we find Wick on the run because of fallout from the second film, and very much facing the consequences of his actions (which is funny, and telling that they probably didn't envision a franchise when the first came out as the one female assassin tried to kill Wick in the Continental for a million dollars; when Wick did kick someone at the Continental, albeit a member of the high table, he gets a $14m bounty on his head)... Consequences and a further delving into the Wick secret world of assassins and crime are the major themes of this outing, but really... talky talky scenes feel like they are just there to move you to the next big action piece where multiple guys will get shot in the head.

It's a fun enough movie, and I think you more have to look at it as a kind of art film where the style is the main reason to see it as opposed to any kind of major story... although based on how this one ends it seems like the producers are dead set on milking at least one more out of the franchise.

I think if you enjoyed the second Wick then you'd probably enjoy this one in the theatres as well... If you were kinda "meh" on the second, then I'd say save this one for home.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10529
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Mordor of the soul
Member Is Online

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 5-22-2019 at 09:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A bit late but The Predator is genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen, and possibly the single worst action film I've ever seen. Waste of a good cast. Indulges in every single stupid goofball jokey action film trope possible. Just a silly and ridiculous story. Opts to wildly over-complicate what made the basic and simple original Predator movie so terrific. It's a shame that a hack like Shane Black has so many friends in Hollywood because this piece of shit should have him barred from every participating on making another movie ever again.

All in all a total waste of time. Glad I stole it via torrent instead of paying for it. Seriously, this film was effectively the equivalent of leaving a flaming bag of dog shit on someone's front porch, ringing the doorbell, then running away. Shame on anyone who had anything to do with the production, writing, and directing of it.

[Edited on 5/22/2019 by Paddlefoot]

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 5-22-2019 at 11:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That's a damn shame. I was excited for The Predator but after hearing it's even worse than the Alien vs Predator movies made me avoid it.

I was also pretty underwhelmed with Predators.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10529
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 5-23-2019 at 12:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, the AvP films are pretty awful too but they didn't have the same amount of money and star cast put into them that The Predator got. Plus they also have a bit of uniqueness to them in the visual spectacle of the Preds going on a bug hunt against something that can fight back much better than any non-Schwarzenegger humans ever could. The Predator comes across like some guys gave a lot of money to one of their idiot friends so he could play with a new toy because they owed him for something. It's a real waste of time, cash, and talent.

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 5-24-2019 at 09:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I didn't remember hating the last Predator movie... I'd have to refresh my memory and read my review for any specific complaints, but off the top of my head it had some interesting stuff in there, but it was probably outweighed by some problems throughout the movie... Definitely not Shane Black's best offering.

As for the AVP movies... I actually enjoyed the first one, and while I appreciated the second's continuation they kind of stocked the movie with unlikeable characters and far too many on the nose references to the franchises.

Oh well, on to tonight's offering:

BRIGHTBURN

This was one I was looking forward to simply because it has James Gunn all over it as he was the executive producer, and 2 of his brothers wrote it (although the directing was done by a fellow I'm not familiar with, but he did a good job). BRIGHTBURN is played a little closer to the dark side than the kind of quirky horror that Gunn often employs in some of movies, although there are a couple of laughs in here... even if you do see them coming.

BRIGHTBURN is basically the story of what would happen if Superman was kind of a tempermental pre-teen dick... Complete with his powers and a chip on his shoulder... What do you do with a kid who can not just kick your ass, but drop a house on you?

I enjoyed BRIGHTBURN, but I think it comes up a bit short; I think my biggest problem it is that the ENTIRE MOVIE is in the trailer... I don't think there's really one big scene from the movie that isn't in the trailer in some shape or form, and so much so that you know the gist of the scene... So it's less of a putting puzzle pieces together and more a case of "oh hey, that was in the trailer, guess that guy dies" albeit in a slightly more gruesome fashion, as the movie is fairly violent.

I think where the movie comes up short is that it at times kind of teases being more than a dark homage to Superman (and it's very much on the nose a Superman homage, literally copying the origin right down to being set in Kansas... but lovingly so)... that it wants to maybe be something like the Twilight Zone "It's a Good Life" where you have a whole town kind of falling under the rule of an invincible child complete with tantrums and a kind of child like understanding of gratification. It instead just settles into being dark Superman and less an exploration... The difference between a good movie, and a great one. Still, a nice refreshing change of pace from the super hero genre.

I say watch it... it's a creepy horror film slash super hero slash sci fi movie, but probably more of a Netflixer.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 6-4-2019 at 02:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

I saw this one last Thursday and really enjoyed it; I don't know if it's because I used to watch the old Japanese Godzilla's (and King Kong) with my grandfather when I was little or not, but I've always had a sweet spot for these movies. I really liked Kong Skull Island, and was kinda middling on the last Godzilla as while most of the stuff with the giant lizard were fun and well done, Aaron Taylor Johnson looked like he suffered from extreme narcolepsy throughout the movie, and the casting of Bryan Cranston felt very stunt casting-y (ie get a name in there for the marquee, but then criminally underuse him).

Look... it's a giant monster movie; if your itch is to see giant monsters fight and go smashy smashy on various buildings then I think you'll dig this one; bonus as this time I thought they added some intriguing plot lines for the human stars to do this time... Some stuff really bordering on a Thanos level dilemma where the human bad guys aren't entirely wrong in wanting to bring about a better planet earth aren't entirely wrong; but unleashing various giant monsters to kill billions may not be the best way to go about it. Conversely the good guys in stopping them may very well be bringing about the end of the human race... more so by using massive amounts of radiation and nuclear bombs to roid up Godzilla to save the day. I'm probably being a bit more flippant that the above words reflect what did happen, but there is a bit of a complexity to the plot if you want to dig for it.... Bonus there's plenty of monsters in this one... The ads make it look like a bunch, and there is, but it really comes down to about 4 or so.

Extra bonus I think Legendary has done a great job of continuing on there giant monsterverse; with the course now being set for Kong versus Godzilla; with plenty of world building clues scattered throughout this movie like there had been in others; and a few kind of intriguing (they could do other movies set in this verse) tidbits thrown in.

I saw it in 3D... I didn't see much in there to make the 3D worth it; it's a very visually busy movie... lot's of night fights, artic snow fights, rainy fights, and more dank government bunkers than you can shake a stick at... That's not conducive to the darkening that often happens with 3D. I did want to see it in Imax, and I think that would carry over well, but it wasn't available that night... if you can't do Imax or don't really care for spectacle I'd say plain old 2D will fit the bill.

I don't remember anything too scary in it outside of giant monsters, so it might even be kid friendly for like 5 or 6 and up... although it does clock in at a bit over 2 hours, so depending on the kid that might strain their attention span.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8842
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 6-9-2019 at 06:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It was ok. All the monster parts were awesome. There was too much human shit in there. If they had upped the monster mix by 10-20% Id be singing a far more positive song.

Non 3D was fine.

Don't Mess With Texas

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8260
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 6-9-2019 at 06:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
There was too much human shit in there.

But how many dumps did Godzilla take?

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8842
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 6-9-2019 at 07:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The other monsters ate the humans. But not enough of them.

Godzilla and to a much lesser extent mothra were the only characters I cared about All of the humans were horrible and should have been food.

Don't Mess With Texas

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 6-9-2019 at 11:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, probably a little more destruction and feasting on humans would have bumped it up a bit... Maybe it's because of how bad the humans were in the first one that I enjoyed these one's a bit more, but all told they also have little to do here.

Oh well... always other movies:

Case in point: X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX

This was one I wanted to watch because I've watched all the others, but after having watched the writer/director of this one take a fail stab (Last Stand) at one of, if not THE most famous X-Men story I went into this one with plenty of reservations... Worse still the movie was delayed by over a year after test screenings were outright terrible, requiring the film makers to reshoot big parts of the movie.

Verdict: It wasn't as bad as I went into it expecting, but it's far more in the vein of Apocalypse and Last Stand than Day of future present and First Class. There's some well done action scenes in there, and it does effectively provide a sense of closure to what is likely apt to be the last X-Men movie in Fox broken and retconned timeline; and both MacAvoy and Turner are quite good as Xavier and Jean Grey respectively. I think the problem is that utimately the Dark Phoenix storyline is too big... In the comics Grey got exposed months or even years before hand; Then as they approached the big storyline they first fought Proteus with plenty of plot threads sewn in there, then onto the Hellfire Club where things kicked into high gear before ultimately going into their last act; the Phoenix storyline itself... It delivered a number of big emotional moments, to say nothing of several years long story beats before culminating; to try and cram all of that into 2 hours leaves you wanting... I don't know that 3 hours would even be enough; but instead would probably require some kind of mini-series, or an MCU kind of foresight to let this play out over a number of back to back movies.

I will give them some credit; the trailers are very much edited, or cut in such a way as to give you the impression that other stuff is going on, and they did a good job of keeping a few big scenes entirely out of the trailers... something I wish more movies would do.

I'd probably say skip this one, at least at the theatres... If you dug the other X-men movies I'd give it a watch, but it's rife with problems that leave you wondering more about what could have been in terms of bringing this story to the big screen.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10529
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 6-9-2019 at 11:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Too bad that Bryan Singer's personal antics and legal problems from being one of Hollywood's most infamous twink-hunters got him booted off the franchise. As difficult as he'd become to work with they probably could have turned out a better product with him still in control for the series swan-song before it gets fully rebooted for the merger with the rest of the MCU.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7518
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-10-2019 at 04:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It sounds like Dark Phoenix is DOA at the box office, making only $33 million this weekend (which is by far the lowest opening for an X-Men movie ever). I assume bad reviews plus the general knowledge that everything is getting rebooted after this movie lead to a lack of interest, but I'm still a little surprised it performed that badly.

And I personally bailed on the franchise years ago because I didn't like all of the glaring continuity issues, but it will be interesting to see what direction Disney goes in moving forward.

Katie Vick killer
The Rowdy One

Posts 2257
Registered 8-25-2003
Location w/ Randall

Mood: Chin locked

posted on 6-10-2019 at 05:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I got to see Dark Phoenix a day early at press screening (I got a friend who reviews movies, accessreel.com). And Fox put on a feast of Pizza, beer and cider, Keep 'em feed, keep em happy.

I went in with very low expectations and a full belly, so I was came out of it and managed to enjoy it. Not great but not awful. I thought it was better than Last Stand, Apcoalypse and Wolverine Origins. Still at the bottom of the franchise and I'm glad it was free.

It looks like we still have X-Men: Ghost School (New Mutants) coming out in January, so this franchise could still end on a very sour note. It's shame Fox couldn't get Deadpool 3/X-force happening before the merger.

At the very least we'll have some name characters popping up in Phase 4.

I just checked boxofficemojo and Dark Phoenix came second this weekend to The Secret Life of Pets 2.

Also Flash, I really enjoy your reviews, keep 'em coming.

[Edited on 10/6/2019 by Katie Vick killer]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10529
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 6-10-2019 at 05:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The overall franchise burn-out has hit New Mutants already as any plans for sequels to it have been shelved. Not good when it hasn't even been released yet. Gotta figure it's just time for them to take a break, like maybe another five years at least before the reboot happens. They figure that Dark Phoenix is looking at a $100-120 million loss so hopefully they learn something from it.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7518
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-10-2019 at 07:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
The overall franchise burn-out has hit New Mutants already as any plans for sequels to it have been shelved. Not good when it hasn't even been released yet. Gotta figure it's just time for them to take a break, like maybe another five years at least before the reboot happens. They figure that Dark Phoenix is looking at a $100-120 million loss so hopefully they learn something from it.

I could be completely wrong about this, but wasn't there talk about just turning the New Mutants movie into a TV movie/miniseries on SyFy or FX or something like that? I thought I read that at some point, but my memory is pretty fuzzy. Either way, if it does get released theatrically, it seems like it'll be dead in the water since it's going to be connected to a franchise that won't exist anymore.

And I agree that Disney/Marvel needs to take a break until they reboot everything (presumably as part of the MCU) and I think that's what they're doing to do. I'd be kind of shocked if we see anything with the X-Men name in theaters before 2024.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top