The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hall of Fame 2019
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7386
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-1-2019 at 07:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hall of Fame 2019

Hey, did you guys know it's 2019 today? I actually thought it was tomorrow for some reason. But it's today. And that means we should also start talking about the most important thing that'll happen in wrestling this year, nostalgia-wise: Hall of Fame time! The one thing that strikes me about this year, though, is that next year we're going to be 40 years removed from the start of the 80's, which means that pretty much everyone of any real importance from the entire decade is already in the Hall. "Pretty much", anyways, as last year showed us that WWE waited way too long to induct some people that should be in, such as Hillbilly Jim. Since going through the entire WWE Roster for an entire decade is crazy person stuff, I instead just went through Wrestlemania cards and picked out the uninducted names. Here's who's left and noteworthy from, or who at least started in, the 80's:

Brutus Beefcake: I never realized he's been around since the original Mania. WWE still uses him for promotional stuff (ie video game appearances and action figures) so they must not hate him that much.
Mike Rotundo: I couldn't tell you much about his NWA stuff (you guys likely know more than I), but IRS was great, and was around long enough and in important enough stuff that he should be in. Not to mention he's been doing the road agent thing and fathered two current(ish) members of the roster.
Hercules: I remember Hercules. He was usually losing, though. But the time he put in, I think they could get away with putting him in via the Legacy program.
Jim Neidhart: Is probably the most likely to go in this year.
King Kong Bundy: A dominant big guy who was relevant for two decades. Should be, but might be a Legacy in a few years.
Rick Martel: A former IC Champ. A multi-time Tag Champ. And WWE at least doesn't seem to hate him, nor does he seem to hate WWE (he's showed up at some events post-retirement). He's got two memorable angles going for him (the Strike Force breakup and blinding Jake the Snake). He should be in. Given that WWE has put him in their last two video games, I feel he might get in this year or next.
The Rougeau Brothers: Their great theme music aside, they were both solid hands. Once Ray retired, he became their French commentator (and is again, since WWE stopped doing French shows after that whole "anti-France" thing we had during the mid 2000's). And Jacques was the friggin' Mountie. Not to mention the Quebecers. Should be in.
Dino Bravo: He was a solid heel, but the circumstances of his death are such that a proper induction is probably a controversy waiting to happen, but a Legacy induction would at least give him the spot he deserves.
The British Bulldogs: If they go in, they should go in separately, because Davey Boy's record is good enough on his own. Dynamite got a respectful obituary from WWE.com, but getting someone to induct him may be hard, so a Legacy induction works.
Bad News Brown: I always liked Bad News. And he was very clearly the template for Stone Cold: tough guy who never enjoyed himself, hated everyone, and wore plain black tights. But he never won a title in WWE. He should probably at least be a Legacy.
The One Man Gang/Akeem: C'mon. A big guy with a unique look and an odd charisma to him after his character change? He was one of the Twin Towers, man.
Slick: At this point in time, every manager who was worth a damn in in the Hall of Fame...except Slick (and yeah, Jim Cornette, but which one of the two is more likely to shoot on people during his induction?). He should be.
Haku: Legendary badass-ness aside, the guy is also in the Samoan Family of Greatness and was a solid hand.
Virgil: Yeah, give him the "WWE Hall of Famer" title so he can get a bit more recognition. He was probably the best disposable lackey of the 90's.
Demolition: Yes a thousand times. Bury hatchets, do whatever, but they're a legitimate WWE success story.
The Powers of Pain: See, the Barbarian is always going to be a hard one for me to say no to, but it's not like I can easily say "yes" to him either. Warlord's the opposite: hard to say "yes", can't really say "no". So...Legacy?
Honky Tonk Man: Again, whatever issues they need to deal with to get this done, they need to deal with to get this done. Easily one of the best heels of the 80's, and he's always willing to show up to get pummeled by his own guitar. Plus, Elias and Honky. Think about it.

Once you get those guys out of the way, it's to the 90's, which is where it gets trickier for a number of reasons, the first being that WWF wasn't that good for a few years in the middle when WCW became an important thing. And the second is that it seems like a lot of the guys from the 90's who aren't already in are crazy now and/or really don't like Vince and have been around for the part of the decade where they learned not to like his son-in-law either.

Also, there's still whales out there that deserve their top billing. The Rock, Taker, Vince probably should go in by himself. There's also a few solid second bill guys like Jericho and Christian worth inducting.

Whatever the case, I'm just glad WWE announces these things beforehand and makes the induction videos available on the website!

[Edited on 1-5-2019 by nOOb]

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10658
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 1-1-2019 at 08:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Santino Marella - seems like everyone totally loved the guy for real; completely embraced the comedy role and played it to the max; never boring, always did his job with near total effectiveness; 2xIC Champ 1xUS Champ 1x Tag Team Champ; awesomely fun partnerships with Maria, Beth Phoenix, and Emma; KOOOOOOBBBBBRRRAAAAAA!; was the most popular "woman" on the Divas roster for a few weeks; fastest RR elimination of all time plus one of the most crowd-pleasing "last entrants remaining" moments in a RR as well; provided more genuine laughs from his promos and just from the way he carried himself than anyone else in the modern era; HONK-A-METER!; stole Jerry "Stupid" Lawler's sandwich!

Probably a lot more to list that I can't recall but he definitely should considered as an entrant from the last decade's worth of performers. Hopefully their isn't any petty bad blood from him working for Impact these days that would cause a petty refusal on Vince's part.

[Edited on 1-1-2019 by Paddlefoot]

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2450
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 1-1-2019 at 10:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Isn't Santino under contract to Impact these days? He's been on their TV enough.

WILLIAM REGAL: Long overdue, beloved in and out of the company, would give a great speech and Mauro Ranallo could start calling him "Our Hall of Fame general manager!"

CHYNA: Yeah, yeah, I know all the arguments against it, but it's time.

NEW AGE OUTLAWS: As long as Chyna's going in, plus it gives them another chance to run that WCW Invasion footage they love so much. 'WE RODE A TANK'

VICTORIA: One of the pillars of the 2000s women's division and an overlooked worker of the period.

LEX LUGER: Lex seems to have been on the redemption road for a while and it would be pretty sweet to have him inducted by Sting.

THE NASTY BOYS: Sure, why not?

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10658
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 1-2-2019 at 12:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Isn't Santino under contract to Impact these days? He's been on their TV enough.

Hopefully him currently working for someone else isn't something Vince takes too seriously these days. And it's not like Impact is any sort of an up-and-coming threat anymore, not that they ever were, where tossing a former WWE talent down the memory hole for working for Impact would be a default reaction WWE would absolutely "have" to do. And it's not like Santino's out there kinda-sorta insulting WWE on a regular basis the same way that Cody Rhodes likes to do with backhanded comments on Twitter and such.

Pretty sure that Santino doing his entire induction speech in that Italian accent from beginning to end would also be one of the most legit laugh-out-loud moments ever done since the HOF ceremonies started broadcasting.

[Edited on 1/2/2019 by Paddlefoot]

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7806
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 1-2-2019 at 09:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sid or RVD should be easy picks as both are former WWF/WWE title holders. Iím guessing the New York crowd would be very pro ECW, so RVD could headline.

Christian. Should be a headliner, but donít think Vince sees him that way. Also, Edge inducting him followed by Christianís acceptance speech would make for good TV.

Kane. He seems done as a full time guy. Although I donít see a need to rush him. But if they need a bigger name, heíd make sense.

Chyna. Although her going in would likely eliminate other deceased wresters.

Victoria. Had a long run. Never was the focal point of the division, but a former champ.

Regal. He was amazing. But as a Trille H guy, and WWE employee itís not like he is going anywhere.

Dean Malenko. His WWF run was a little under whelming, but his WCW run should get him in.

Thereís also a bunch of no brainers who will go in whenever they want. Taker, Rock, Jericho, Triple H, Batista, and Vince.

Actually given his age, and it being in New York, this would be a good year for Vince to headline.

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2738
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 1-2-2019 at 02:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Christian. Should be a headliner, but donít think Vince sees him that way. Also, Edge inducting him followed by Christianís acceptance speech would make for good TV.

Came to post this. Instead I'll just second your thoughts by rephrasing them slightly:

Christian has the charisma to make a great headline speech to entertain the crowd. He probably isn't viewed as enough of a draw by WWE to be the headliner (wasn't Foley not the headliner his year?) but his speech would be must watch for me.

OO's only mammal penguin

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4026
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 1-2-2019 at 03:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Vader should have been in ages ago but I feel right now they should hold off on it. The man publicly lobbied to be inducted and according to Foley and others, Vader was worried he'd pass away before he could get inducted. If they induct him now, one year after his death, WWE will likely get a lot of negativity about waiting till he was dead.

The Great Muta and Jushin Liger are guys who should be in based on their work in WCW and legacies in Japan.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1630
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 1-2-2019 at 05:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TownOfDalem
Came to post this. Instead I'll just second your thoughts by rephrasing them slightly:

Christian has the charisma to make a great headline speech to entertain the crowd. He probably isn't viewed as enough of a draw by WWE to be the headliner (wasn't Foley not the headliner his year?) but his speech would be must watch for me.

It wasn't clear who the headliner was the year Mick Foley went in. He was the first person announced for the Hall of Fame that year, but he kind of got overshadowed when Bruno Sammartino was announced weeks later. I got the impression that they didn't expect to get Sammartino when they started out, but once it became clear he was actually agreeable to the idea, they didn't want to put him off until 2014.

Agreed with everything that has been said about how Christian would give a great headline speech, but likely won't be given the opportunity. Rob Van Dam would be my bet for headliner this year.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12662
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-2-2019 at 06:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Men: Christian, Regal, Rick Martel, Psycho Sid, Rob Van Dam, JBL, Lex Luger, Great Muta, Jushin Liger
Women: Michelle McCool, Rockin Robin, Bull Nakano, Sable, Molly Holly
Teams/factions: Hart Foundation, British Bulldogs, DX
Dead people: Chyna and Vader
Celebrity: Motorhead or Cyndi Lauper

I know that's way more than they would induct in a year, but they're all either deserved, or would be WWE choices (like, I'm on the fence about Michelle McCool really deserving it, but I could see WWE do it)

I can't think of who the headliner would be. I feel like Sid, RVD and JBL, despite being former main eventers aren't on the same level as past headliners. At the same time, I don't see them induct Rock or Taker this year, either.

(past Headliners)

2005 - Hulk Hogan
2006 - Bret Hart
2007 - Dusty Rhodes
2008 - Ric Flair
2009 - Steve Austin
2010 - Ted DiBiase
2011 - HBK
2012 - Edge
2013 - Bruno Sammartino
2014 - Ultimate Warrior
2015 - Randy Savage
2016 - Sting
2017 - Kurt Angle
2018 - Goldberg

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4026
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 1-2-2019 at 06:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think Paul Heyman could work as a headliner. All the other headliners, with the exception of Dibiase(I think) have been former World Champions but Heyman's might be second only to the McMahons in terms of being a recognizable non-wrestling personality.

Manager of the Dangerous Alliance, CM Punk, Big Show, short but critically acclaimed stint as a color commentator, the man behind ECW making him the trailblazer for edgy, gritty wretling on American tv, and of course the voice of WWE's most well paid performer.

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2738
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 1-2-2019 at 06:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I could imagine Matt and Jeff Hardy being headliners when they get in.

ETA: I mean them together as the headliner not each of them individually.

[Edited on 1-2-2019 by TownOfDalem]

OO's only mammal penguin

TexShark300
The Rowdy One

Posts 2478
Registered 12-7-2005
Location West Texas

Mood: I Will Do Better

posted on 1-2-2019 at 11:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've long wanted Rick Martel in. Besides Strike Force, he had a couple of tag title runs with Tony Garea as well. Plus, he was AWA Champion back when that still meant something. His run in the late 80's and 90's developed in to "We need to make someone look good, let's have him work with Martel"

Ivan Koloff needs to go in as well. The guy that beat Bruno, and was an upper card & main event draw for them in that era. His work in the NWA was always solid, and he always got great heel heat.

OOWF Historian

Life is about choices. You can choose to have a Good Attitude or you can choose to have a Bad Attitude.
- Msgt Hal D. Aaron
1953-2007

House watches TNA. He goes bowling. I Knew I liked that show for a reason.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   TexShark300 's Yahoo
bopol
Showstopper

Posts 989
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2019 at 02:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Midnight Express. Especially since Dennis Condroy is recovering from cancer.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12662
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 1-3-2019 at 03:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Koloff and Midnight Express definitely deserve to get in.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1669
Registered 1-14-2006

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2019 at 04:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Batista. I think he could headline it. Multi-time champ, Hollywood connections, and I'd say a better headlining choice than RVD.

Bam Bam Bigelow. Still not in, Jersey boy, iconic wrestler, that should check all the checkboxes.

The Midnight Express AND Jim Cornette. Certainly deserving as a team, and you get a HOF quality manager in there as well. I think the Bulldogs deserve it just as much, but with both of them gone now, I suspect they won't induct them so soon.

Mike Rotundo. Mentioned before, and for all of the reasons mentioned - in addition to the Syracuse connection.

Rick Martel. Because everyone else mentioned him.

Bradshaw. They've got just about every other champion in his era in the Hall now, and he was a long-tenured hand that the McMahons all seemed to like.

Molly Holly. If the WWE wants to emphasize that the female roster can work as well as the men these days, they better induct one of the best female workers they ever employed.

Cyndi Lauper - the Rock n' Wrestling connection. Unless she's not picking up the phone from the WWE, there's no good reason she's not in - and again, another New Yorker.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 1-3-2019 at 03:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Santino Marella -

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10658
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 1-3-2019 at 03:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Away with thee, hater!

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4624
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 1-3-2019 at 04:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Thereís also a bunch of no brainers who will go in whenever they want. Taker, Rock, Jericho, Triple H, Batista, and Vince.

Actually given his age, and it being in New York, this would be a good year for Vince to headline.

While they are all a bunch of no brainers, I don't see any of them entering the Hall of Fame yet. I haven't seen a wrestler gain entry into the Hall until after they've officially reitired from active competition in the WWE (notwithstanding Ric Flair's "Career Threatening" match the night after his induction, which itself left no doubt as to the end result of the match).

The Undertaker may have another match or two in him (whether he ought to is another story), Triple H certainly isn't done, rumours persist about Batista one day returning, and one can't count out the possiblity of another run for Jericho regardless of his current involvement with New Japan.

The Rock probably won't compete in another match ever again, but they probably won't enshrine him until they're certain there's no chance of getting another Wrestlemania match out of him.

As far as Vince goes, I get the feeling that he won't go in until after he dies. I mean, I think it's a fair bet that he won't be enshrined until he's no longer making any decisions about how the company operates, but he'll probably die before he stops being the chairman of the board.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

salmonjunkie

Posts 12662
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 1-3-2019 at 05:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fifth Horseman
Batista. I think he could headline it. Multi-time champ, Hollywood connections, and I'd say a better headlining choice than RVD.

Bam Bam Bigelow. Still not in, Jersey boy, iconic wrestler, that should check all the checkboxes.

The Midnight Express AND Jim Cornette. Certainly deserving as a team, and you get a HOF quality manager in there as well. I think the Bulldogs deserve it just as much, but with both of them gone now, I suspect they won't induct them so soon.

Mike Rotundo. Mentioned before, and for all of the reasons mentioned - in addition to the Syracuse connection.

Rick Martel. Because everyone else mentioned him.

Bradshaw. They've got just about every other champion in his era in the Hall now, and he was a long-tenured hand that the McMahons all seemed to like.

Molly Holly. If the WWE wants to emphasize that the female roster can work as well as the men these days, they better induct one of the best female workers they ever employed.

Cyndi Lauper - the Rock n' Wrestling connection. Unless she's not picking up the phone from the WWE, there's no good reason she's not in - and again, another New Yorker.

I agree with Batista being a headliner, I don't necessarily see it this year. In fact, I see Batista going in after a Goldberg-like return. Oh, and I 100% agree with Bam Bam and IRS.

[Edited on 1-3-2019 by salmonjunkie]

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1630
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2019 at 05:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
I agree with Batista being a headliner, I don't necessarily see it this year. In fact, I see Batista going in after a Goldberg-like return. Oh, and I 100% agree with Bam Bam and IRS.

[Edited on 1-3-2019 by salmonjunkie]

Yeah, this is why my money's on Rob Van Dam as the headliner. Batista would be a better headliner, but if there's any chance of him wrestling this year, it's not happening. And honestly, with Triple H injured and possibly out of Wrestlemania, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Batista ends up holding off until Wrestlemania 36 to face HHH there.

Having said that, John Bradshaw Layfield could work, too. He's definitely 100 percent retired, while Van Dam might still think he has some matches left in him, but I wonder if WWE might hold off on JBL a while to see if the bad blood stirred up as a result of Justin Roberts' book and Mauro Ranallo's situation a couple years back might calm down.

ulsterphil
Fella

Posts 356
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Northern Ireland

Mood: Housified

posted on 1-3-2019 at 08:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If RVD goes in, there's no way he's headlining. I don't think Vince ever saw him as that level of talent.
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7386
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-6-2019 at 12:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
After thinking about how few guys I could think of in the 90's to induct, I looked at Royal Rumble rosters from 92 to 2002 to get some ideas (because by 2002 we were post-Invasion and pre-Brand Split, which also meant we were pre-Cena, Orton, and Batista). Here's a list of the uninducted participants in that time frame (leaving out no brainers like Undertaker, Kane, Triple H, RVD, and the Rock, as well as people I included in the list of uninducted 80's names, and Owen because, well, touchy subject/not happening, though I did include one name who never appeared at a Rumble):

The Natural Disasters-Earthquake at least should go in because on top of being a quick big guy, he was also the nicest guy around. And he doesn't have any black marks against him in any way. Even though his passing had nothing to do with a "wrestling lifestyle", I think you package him in with Typhoon because he's still alive, also doesn't have any black marks against him, and should get a win for dealing with the aftermath of the Shockmaster.
The Nasty Boys-I couldn't for the life of me tell you anything they did other than being a somewhat hardcore tag team before hardcore took over in the 90's, but but they were popular.
Sid-I think he's gotta go in because he was such a good big man when they weren't a dime a dozen. And he's a very convincing psychopath.
Doink-There's been, what, twelve of them? And one good one. The good one was really good, but he's gone and his relatives filed a wrongful death suit against WWE. You can't really justify inducting any of the other ones cause good Doink sucked, but I guess you could just Legacy induct the character in ten years?
Bam Bam Bigelow-He should be in. And WWE keeps putting him in their video games, so he probably will go in.
Terry Taylor-To be honest, I forgot to mention him in the 80's list because I skipped over a match or two (and one included the Rooster). I don't remember anything post-Rooster he did (I know he was in the York Foundation, but the extent of WCW I watched back then was snippets of random shows whenever they happened to be on and that just happened to be one of them). But he was (and is again, apparently), a backstage hand for WWE for a while, so maybe a Legacy in a few years.
The Steiners-If Scott Steiner wasn't anti-Triple H, anti-Ric Flair, anti-McMahon, and just pro-anti in general, they'd have been in years ago.
Crush/Brian Adams-The guy had issues and all, but seems to have been well respected by most of the people in WWE (I know the Rock did a bit where he did commentary for his debut and expressed how grateful he was to him personally for putting him over, and I'm pretty sure Kronik being brought in during the Invasion was an Undertaker favor). He had some moments, but, again, a problem with this era is the deaths are related to something from wrestling for the most part and everyone else is super-shooty. But if they had to round out a class, they could do a lot worse.
Mabel-For all the reputation of him being an unsafe worker, they kept bringing him back. And they reinvented him twice. However, even though his death was a heart attack, his surviving relatives did try to connect it to CTE, so an induction could be hard.
Bob "Sparky Thurman Hardcore Plugg" Holly-18 years in WWE. Damn. He can round out a class and I'd have no problems.
Tatanka-That weird time frame between Hogan and Austin in WWE didn't really create a lot of successes. They inherited some from the 80's and WCW, but making their own was tough. So I wouldn't hate Tatanka getting inducted.
Lex Luger-For so many reasons, yes. He may not have been the best on the mic, but watching pre-nWo Nitro's, I thought his heel work was underappreciated. And once the nWo happened, he was the one I bought into beating them on his own besides Sting. His WWF run may not have been great, but he was a good filler between Hogan and Hart as a face.
The SiX Pac Kidd-He'll go in because of who he's friends with. Rewatching some of his promos, he did seem much cooler as a young teen, but as an adult, he just seemed very loud but could wrestle.
Savio Vega-My attitude towards Savio is about the same as it is for Tatanka: he happened to come around in a dark period for WWE. I didn't get to see any of his stuff with Austin, and I caught the tail end of his run with WWE during "the Gang Wars". But for being a guy I could identify during that time, yeah, you could add him to the tail end of a class and I'd be fine.
The Godwins-Of all the guys that occurred during the "every wrestler not in the main event must have a second job", I at least remember the Godwins. I couldn't tell you anything they did outside Phineas becoming Mideon, but I remember them.
The New Age Outlaws-They're going in. Just a matter of when.
Vader-See above. And every post mentioning him in this topic.
Goldust-See above, while the McMahons try to figure out if the Rhodes family is going to be a problem for them down the road or if they can just make Dustin a Hall of Famer with no regrets.
Flash Funk/Scorpio-I threw in a tricky one because I actually remember seeing Scorpio in WCW before WWF. And he seemed to do a lot of things that weren't being done at the time. I don't know how Flash Funk went, but I know he made it to the end of the 90's with WWE, so a case could be made.
Brian Pillman: This is the one I threw in because he was never in a Rumble. But he was an innovator, he had range, and he had some moments people remember (though the one most people remember with the home invasion won't likely make his induction video). He should go in.
Blackjack JBL: Even if JBL didn't happen, he should go in for pure longevity. But JBL did happen so he should go in for both.
The Headbangers: I only put them on the list because it seems like WWE couldn't make tag teams stick for whatever reason if they weren't bringing them in from WCW. But the Headbangers did stick and are former champs. And they lasted a while. So...maybe?
D'Lo Brown: He's the only non-Owen/non-Rock member of the Nation of Domination who isn't in. And I feel like the reason he isn't is because of the Droz incident. But once that gets moved past, I don't see why he shouldn't.
Ken Shamrock: Yes. He was a popular UFC fighter before the UFC was as popular as it is now. And he crossed over seemlessly. And he's a former UFC champ that showed up every week and didn't just squash guys with twenty suplexes in a row.
Steve Blackman: I feel like you could induct him in a decade or so as a Legacy and people wouldn't complain.
Christian: Yes. And it'll probably sooner rather than later.
Val Venis: He's the "throw whatever wacky, wild, borderline-TV-MA idea for a character we can come up with" character that lasted. I wouldn't complain if he were.
Test: He was a good big guy who had his one chance to shine killed by McMahon ego (because we all know Test should have had Vince's spot in the McMahon/Helmsley feud). But he stuck around and did stuff after and was generally near, but not at, the top of the middle. But he also had Wellness Violations when they became a thing, so that's a tricky one to make work, especially with the borderline status as is.
Chyna: For what she was, she should be. But, again, tricky situation.
Too Cool: Rikishi's other half should go in as a unit...in maybe two or three years, once the circumstances behind Brian's death cool off. But they should. I guess if WWE wanted they could even just throw Scotty into a class as a solo act, since he's also a trainer for WWE.
Al Snow: A tail end guy. His work with Tough Enough should get rewarded, and he's a former champ for them, just not a former THE champ.
Tazz: He'd be tricky to justify if he was still on good terms with WWE, because his run with them was a good debut match and then Vince realized he was a lot shorter in person. But I think he may be on the McMahon blocked call list, so it works itself out.
R-Truth: I would never figure K-Kwik to be an argument, but the one thing TNA did right was let him do his thing, not just be a WWF castoff, and now it's 2018 and he definitely should be in once he retires.
William Regal: William Regal is the man.
Lance Storm: You'd have to go off of his entire career and consider all parts equal, and not just look at his WWE run. WWE tends to do that, though. But I feel like he'll get in just because he's training people that tend to make their way to WWE, so he may go in in the next five years as a respect move.
Hurricane: The one thing WWE did right in the Invasion. He stuck around long enough to have a reasonable amount of time to look at, and he kept popular with the crowds. So yeah, I could see it.

[Edited on 1-6-2019 by nOOb]

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4557
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-6-2019 at 03:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hercules last WWE (WWF) match saw him take a finisher from Sid, lay there for the pin, and then completely no sell it by getting up and walking to the back... In MSG to boot. I could see how that would be the kind of thing Vince might hold a grudge over. Considering that Hercules held no major titles and it's the kind of case where there's not a pressing reason to put the guy in to surmount any grudge (assuming he holds one) that Vince might hold.

Bundy on the other hand is a different case... I mean the guy headlined a Wrestlemania, and outside of Piper, Andre, and Savage is probably THE guy a lot of people think of when they think of that era... Problem is he got caught up in that shady concussion lawsuit Kyros put together; so I'm guessing he's a persona non grata right now even if the lawsuit was just dismissed back in September... Vince kinda seems to have a thing about shady lawsuits per one of Jericho's books.

While dead now, Koloff was yet another guy who probably sealed his own fate by jumping onto the Kyros suit given that his last WWF appearance was in 1983 and he wrestled for years after elsewhere... I mean when did the accumulative effects of concussions become known... I don't know, but I'm guessing it was long after 1983 so it's likely that any longshot payout he would've gotten was likely far less than he could have gotten staying in the WWE's good books. He passed away in 2017 and is the only legacy WWF champion not in the Hall of Fame... He'll go in, but it will be like Stasiak, as a bulk legacy induction.

My guesses for this year is a combination of the lower big names but not quite headliners crowd... X-pac, Christian, Regal, JBL, and RVD. IRS is a safe 80's guy given his long term tenure behind the scenes with the WWE. It's been a few years for Chyna so her other more adult career is probably sufficiently in the background now to induct her but given some of her last comments leveled some #MeToo-esque accusations against HHH (even if numerous parties did call BS and her state of mind wasn't the best), they may want to get a bit further out from the current climate least some story catches on... The WWE's history with this kind of thing is like a kerosene soaked house on the best of days, no need to go playing with matches near it. So maybe a Victoria, Molly Holly, and another lady or two... Nothing quite says women's revolution and how lady friendly the WWE is than if they have more women than ever up on that stage.

Batista is probably their best bet to headline.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1630
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 1-6-2019 at 03:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
When I think about it, under the right circumstances, I think Lex Luger could be a headliner. Maybe not a first-line headliner -- I still think it'll be Rob Van Dam, or failing that John Bradshaw Layfield -- but I could see it. Maybe WWE finds a way to raise his stock a little in the next year or so, like they did with Goldberg and Sting (albeit to a lesser extent since he can't wrestle), and then has him lead a Hall of Fame class.

Regarding some other folk:

Hercules: Yeah, he sandbagged Sid Justice on his way out, but the man died in 2003. There's no way Vince McMahon still cares about that. The only reason he's not in is because WWE tries to limit the number of posthumous inductees, and the rash of deaths in the last 15-20 years leaves a lot of possibilities. I figure he goes in sooner or later, though Vader's got a great shot at the posthumous inductee honors first. Ditto Bam Bam Bigelow
Chyna: Chyna has an uphill battle, but it's not because of her conduct the last few years before her death. That's been long enough that I'm sure they can paper over the porn and explosive allegations with tasteful and brief mentions of drug problems and mental illness. It's just arithmetic. WWE usually only inducts one woman and one posthumous inductee per HOF class, which makes the math tricky for Chyna. I doubt WWE puts her in until they run out of living women -- e.g., Victoria, Molly Holly, Michelle McCool. Not saying she doesn't deserve to go in, as she certainly does, but I'd expect it to be a while.
Doink the Clown: Can't see it. WWE still doesn't officially acknowledge there was more than one, Matt Borne got kind of prickly toward the end, and everybody hated the Ray Liachelli version.
The Steiner Brothers: Literally the second Scott Steiner shuts his batshit crazy mouth, they're in. Basically the same thing they did with the Ultimate Warrior.
Bam Bam Bigelow, Hardcore Holly, Tatanka, X-Pac, Ken Shamrock: All people I could see going in this year. Though it won't be all of them, all they'll need to pepper in at least one each of A) women, B) managers and C) people best known for non-WWE work.

Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

Mood: Plotting

posted on 1-6-2019 at 12:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lemmy's gotta go in the Celeb Wing this year, or there is no justice!
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top