The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NBA 2018-2019
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7896
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 11-6-2018 at 07:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NBA 2018-2019

I've thought about predictions, but nah.

Really there are 4 teams with a shot at the Finals, and that includes 3 teams from the East.

Kawhi looks great in a Raps jersey, and I hope he stays, but with Fred, Delon, Pascal, and OG the North has a bright future regardless. Danny Green has also been really good. And Lowry is having possible the best year of his career.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7675
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-7-2018 at 05:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I enjoy the NBA, but there's just no drama as long as the Warriors' all-star roster remains intact. I think the only thing in question this season is whether or not they'll top their 73-9 record from a couple of years ago.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7896
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 11-14-2018 at 11:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good news everybody...thereís drama for the Warriors. Too bad that the path to the WCF looks kind of soft this year as teams like LA, OKC, and Houston have looked terrible.

Maybe Denver gives them a scare?

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7896
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 11-30-2018 at 07:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If the Raps and Dubs can meet in June, it should be a fun series. Feel like neither team was at their peak last night and that was lots of fun.
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7896
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 3-26-2019 at 05:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jusuf Nurkic just pulled a Sid in an NBA game. You can hear the snap being picked up from the court mics.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3278
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 4-11-2019 at 02:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't know if I should start a whole thread for this, so here we are.

Paul Pierce? Get the fuck off of my television, please. Worst in-studio "analyst" I have ever been unfortunate enough to see at work. (I'm kind of a nerd about commentators/analysts/etc, to the point that I will/won't watch a game based on who's calling it.)

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7675
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-26-2019 at 08:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Warriors/Raptors is set. So do the Durant-less Warriors win in four or five games?

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7896
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 5-26-2019 at 03:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Raps beat the Dubs twice this year, once without Kawhi.

I get the Raps are the under dogs, but they have a real shot at winning the title.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7675
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-26-2019 at 08:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think beating the Warriors during the regular season is a whole different deal than beating them during the playoffs though. Not to mention the Warriors are playing in their fifth straight NBA Finals, whereas the Raptors are playing in their first, so Golden State has a pretty big experience advantage.

I dunno, I'd love to see the Raptors pull off the upset, but I just feel like the Warriors are unstoppable, even without Durant and Cousins in the lineup.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7675
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-14-2019 at 05:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Welp, this series didn't turn out the way I predicted. Though on the flipside, I wasn't imagining that Golden State would end up as hobbled by injuries as they did (I think Klay going out in the 3rd was the death knell for the Warriors tonight, and even then they could have won). Either way, congrats to the Raptors (and OO's resident Raptors fan BFG) on dethroning the champs and it's gonna be a really interesting offseason to see where everyone ends up.

Also, does anyone else find it kind of ironic that the one season that LeBron could have (potentially) played an injury-ridden Warriors team in the NBA Finals and won, is also the one season that he left the eastern conference and failed to even make the playoffs for the first time in forever?

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 805
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-14-2019 at 07:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Congrats, BFG. Iím glad someone took down those pricks.

Curryís legacy took a hit. A well deserved hit. Kept hearing that he was top tier. Steph Curry is not top tier.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7896
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 6-14-2019 at 06:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Warriors won their first due to no Kyrie or Love.

Last year they won because Chris Paul was hurt.

Regardless.....

STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE HERE!!!

This run has been amazing. I hope The Kawhi stays. If not...thatís cool. He got us a title.

#WeTheNorth #WeTheChamps

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7675
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-15-2019 at 04:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Warriors won their first due to no Kyrie or Love.

Last year they won because Chris Paul was hurt.

Oh, I totally agree that the Warriors have had some major luck over the last few years with opposing teams having significant injuries (agreed that the Cavs would most likely have won the 2015 series if Kyrie and Love had been healthy). But by that same token, I can't kid myself into thinking the outcome would have been the same had KD and Klay been healthy for the entire finals. I mean hell, the series was one missed Steph Curry three-pointer away from going seven games and that was with all the injury woes the Warriors had.

With all that said, I was pulling for the Warriors to lose ever since the playoffs began and it's not the Raptors fault they played a depleted team, so I'm definitely not mad about the outcome of the finals.

quote:
Originally posted by CVD39
Curryís legacy took a hit. A well deserved hit. Kept hearing that he was top tier. Steph Curry is not top tier.

I won't claim to watch as much NBA as probably some other's do here, but I think Steph is definitely top tier. I that get he missed the game-winning shot last night, but the guy is one of the most ridiculously good shooters in NBA history and also seems to make it to the basket with relative ease for a guy who is undersized by NBA standards.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12740
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 6-15-2019 at 08:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Steph Curry is top tier. I don't know what you're smoking.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7896
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 6-15-2019 at 06:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Steph is the greatest pure shooter of all time. And at minimum in the conversation for best PG of all time.

If you think losing to a Kawhi led team with KD and Klay hurt lowers Steph...nope.

Iím guessing you think LeBron only having 3 rings lowers his standing too.

Regardless....Raptors have the Larry OB, and Iím looking forward to the parade on Monday.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 805
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-6-2019 at 09:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Didnít see any of these reactions till now. Curry wasnít Curry until he was surrounded by studs and had Kerr and his system making things easy. Heís a fantastic player and the best shooter of all time but Iím curious to see what he does without studs on his team.

Iíve seen what Lebron can do, and no one would ever question Jordan. Kareem and Wilt are up there. Curryís still not top tier to me. Those guys are top tier. It doesnít matter the teammates, coaches or systems, theyíre the same no matter what. Shaq, Hakeem, Russell (even if he was playing at a varsity level to everyone elseís middle school B-Team level), Magic as well are still above him.

If Curry can prove that he can be as productive while not playing with the second greatest shooter of all time and a perennial DPOY and other legit pieces in a offensive mastermindís system? He has his chance this coming year, it looks like. His defense is below average, heís not a good slasher, heís not clutch (0-8 in game winning playoff shots or something like that), and he makes idiot plays to try to hot dog a bit too much. If he forgets how to hit threes, heís average.

Reason Iím here: Sorry, BFG. At least you got to celebrate one. Iím just glad the league is open again and not a foregone conclusion (barring injuries).

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7896
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 7-6-2019 at 02:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We got our title, Iím good. When the Leafs signed JT there was the argument that all things being equal, playing at home puts a team over the top.

Also, Iím ok with the Raps heading in to next year sans Kawhi:

Lowry
Powell
OG
Spicy P
Gasol

Freddie
Ibaka

That puts them behind Philly and Milwaukee sure. But they could still be a 3rd seed in the East.

Also...I hope they keep their cap room for 2021, and not spend in 2020. Teaming up OG and Siakam with say the Greek Freak? Ok. Unless of course AD doesnít re-up with the Lakers.

Also...Curry was a star but injured pre-Kerr. Also, Mark Jackson deserves just as much credit for making Steph what he is as Kerr.

ETA: listing Wilt and Kareem before Russell? Magic but no Bird? No Tim Duncan? Dude...

[Edited on 7-6-2019 by bigfatgoalie]

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 805
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-6-2019 at 06:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
^^^I wasn't listing everyone over Curry or in any order. Curry could reach or surpass a few of those guys, but the point is, to me that top tier is reserved for the guys who donít need a system or all stars to achieve greatness and/or stats. Remember in Game 3 where KD and Klay weíre out but he still had Green/Iguadala/Cousins and he put up 40+ in a loss? Thatís what we would see more of if he didnít have that roster. And he wonít next season so weíll see. Heís still good enough to get them in the playoffs and maybe even HCA. Heís a monster for sure.

[Edited on 7-6-2019 by CVD39]

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7675
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-7-2019 at 04:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think the only knock against Steph is that he just doesn't have the physical size to be a dominant player like LeBron, but at the same time, it's not his fault that he wasn't born a genetic marvel.

And this offseason has been super entertaining and I'm looking forward to the 2019/2020 season. The Warriors are no longer the dominant powerhouse, the Lakers are likely back to being a playoff contender, and both the East and West seem pretty wide open as far who's making it to the NBA Finals.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 805
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-7-2019 at 07:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
I think the only knock against Steph is that he just doesn't have the physical size to be a dominant player like LeBron, but at the same time, it's not his fault that he wasn't born a genetic marvel.

And this offseason has been super entertaining and I'm looking forward to the 2019/2020 season. The Warriors are no longer the dominant powerhouse, the Lakers are likely back to being a playoff contender, and both the East and West seem pretty wide open as far who's making it to the NBA Finals.

I hate watching sports that are too lopsided. Barring injury, it wasnít worth anyone other than Warrior fans time and energy to keep up the past few years. I still watched a lot but it just got old watching a super team. So glad KD left. Back to being wide open.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7896
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 7-8-2019 at 12:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I for one, thought watching last year was very enjoyable.

And Iíll say it...as of right now, neither the Lakers or Clippers are the best team in the West. The Jazz and Nuggets still look like more complete teams. Hell, if video game Dame gets ANYTHING from Whiteside, we could see the two LA teams face off in round one as the 4 and 5 seeds.

Crazy that Houston and OKC both feel like afterthoughts despite having Harden and Westbrook respectively.

The East has Milwaukee, Philly...and a bunch of questions at this point. Boston, Brooklyn, Indy, and Toronto* should be locks for the playoffs. SHOULD. Miami feels like they should get in.

*People are saying Toronto will sell off their UFAs...but I donít see a match for Lowry, or Ibaka. Even if they move Gasol, they are still good enough to make the playoffs. This year will be a victory lap. Next year? Thatís when the team can do a soft rebuild around Fred Sr., OG, and Spicy P.

Also, can you really trade Lowry after winning a title and a year after trading DeMar? Also...if you wait a year and Philly flops, you could likely do a Simmons for Lowry move via sign and trade.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top