The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vote
CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4987
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 11-1-2018 at 07:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Vote

We've spent 2 years breathlessly aghast at the terrifying lunacy of Trump and the GOP. We've got 8+ pages of offensive, horribly un-American, borderline evil shit this guy and those who support him have done or said.

The time for complaining is over. Get out and vote like the survival of you and your country depends on it.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3051
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 11-1-2018 at 10:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Already did, but I completely microplay Charger. Get off your asses and vote.
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 11-1-2018 at 11:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm curious what would happen if the GOP wins again... I mean yeah given the widespread voter interference and all the other stuff there would probably be lawsuit after lawsuit, and millions poured into investigating all of this...

But outside of that?

Would it embolden white nationalisms and GOP rhetoric more than ever? Would the hastening erosion of decency on most political fronts just explode because now there would be very few checks and balances?

Could you see any states just say piss it; great run while it lasted but time to start something new?

I wouldn't expect anything overly explosive; more whimper than bang.

On the flip side one has to wonder what the long term implications of... and yeah it's a long shot as odds are the GOP will control at least one house... A Democratic sweep?

Trump would definitely be impeached, but you'd have to think that violence on teh part of crazies would rise.

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4987
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 11-2-2018 at 12:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
I'm curious what would happen if the GOP wins again... I mean yeah given the widespread voter interference and all the other stuff there would probably be lawsuit after lawsuit, and millions poured into investigating all of this...

But outside of that?

Would it embolden white nationalisms and GOP rhetoric more than ever? Would the hastening erosion of decency on most political fronts just explode because now there would be very few checks and balances?

Could you see any states just say piss it; great run while it lasted but time to start something new?

I wouldn't expect anything overly explosive; more whimper than bang.

On the flip side one has to wonder what the long term implications of... and yeah it's a long shot as odds are the GOP will control at least one house... A Democratic sweep?

Trump would definitely be impeached, but you'd have to think that violence on teh part of crazies would rise.

Article V of the US Constitution has a provision called "a convention to propose amendments to the United States Constitution". It is one of two ways for the Constitution to be altered; the other being through Congress.

It requires two-thirds of state legislatures to call for a new constitutional convention to add and subtract amendments. That means 34 state legislatures would have to vote for a new constitutional convention to re-write the Constitution. Currently, Republicans control 31. 4 are split. The rest are Democratic.

Theoretically, if 3 more state legislatures flip to the GOP, they could call for a constitutional convention and re-write the Constitution however they see fit. They could create a MAGA-inspired, conservative utopia.

I only point this out to demonstrate how important EVERY election, no matter how small, is.

FUCKING VOTE

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 11-2-2018 at 12:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
First... VOTE, but not just you, get others to vote also.

Second, while 2/3 of states can call a Constitutional Convention, you still need 3/4 to ratify any new amendments.

Third, even if the Dems get both parts of Congress, they won't have the votes to remove Trump from office. A better path would be that they can conduct congressional investigations (Benghazi on steroids) and Trump will be reduced to tweeting and holding rallies.... basically 90% of what he does now.

Lastly, and sadly, yes if the GOP holds onto complete power, yes, I think it does embolden those on the far right to flex their muscles more, and if there are investigations (probably by the State AGs) of the election and there is no proof of vote tampering to flip the election to the GOP, we are in serious trouble. And I am seriously looking at Canada.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4987
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 11-2-2018 at 03:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike

Second, while 2/3 of states can call a Constitutional Convention, you still need 3/4 to ratify any new amendments.

I don't think this is correct. I thought you needed 3/4 to ratify when Congress proposes amendments normally. In an Article V convention of the states, you just need 2/3.

Can someone clarify?

-- The Rick

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 11-2-2018 at 06:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger

I don't think this is correct. I thought you needed 3/4 to ratify when Congress proposes amendments normally. In an Article V convention of the states, you just need 2/3.

Can someone clarify?

quote:
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.[3]

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1935
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 11-2-2018 at 07:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
I hope not. Even if the Dems take both houses, the word impeachment shouldn’t even be said, let alone formally proposed. There’s no way you’d have the votes to remove him from office, and it’d fire up the nutjob base even more that their guy is under attack. As you said, there absolutely could be violence, and when the vote to remove fails (if the Dems do take the Senate it’ll likely be by a razor thin margin, and there’s no way in hell you’re getting ~15 Republican senators to vote to remove a Republican President), it will only embolden his attitude that he’s above everything.

Use the power of the majority to do things that can actually have some positive results. Start investigating the shit out of Trump’s financial dealings with other countries. Get a good look at those tax returns. Perhaps above all else, pass legislation protecting Mueller and his investigation, or at least make it crystal clear that if Trump or whatever lackey he installs in the AG role after Sessions is canned moves to shut down the investigation, they’ll immediately enlist him to continue his work under the House’s jurisdiction, away from the executive branch.

Impeachment is an easy drum to beat, but it won’t ultimately accomplish anything and chances are it does more harm than good.

Vote.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 11-2-2018 at 10:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Agree... I hope that if the Dems do win they carefully consider the situation... Sometimes having a braying jackass that you know up there ranting and raving with the expected dribble is better than a deposed one running amuck all over... Trump in check instead of checkmate might be preferable.

Sadly I don't know if that's how it works though in our partisan "gotcha" political landscape; Trump represents a big fat juicy target for them and depending on how things go with the election it might cause Republicans to rethink their approach... Like I remember reading something about how before Trump the Republicans had basically done a self audit and set some party goals of growing their base beyond angry white guys and the women who love them; to actually try and be a bit more progressive... That fantasy playbook quickly got thrown out the window of course when populism and fear mongering (aka 2 of the several noxious gases Trump blasts out of his mouth and ass on a regular basis) proved far more easy, cheaper, and beneficial. Look at going into this election... less than a year ago they were the enemy of pre-existing conditions; now many are trumpeting protecting that... Power rarely if ever wants to give up power, so it's under that auspices that I figure there will come a point when the GOP will turn against Trump is, and when it becomes convenient to them keeping their power, or at least trying to regain it.

Meh... anyway, at this point just rampant speculation; hopefully saner and more rational minds will endure this week and the Dems will win big, work on adding a level of calm discourse to the crazy pants that is the current American political landscape and work towards 2020 with marginal gains instead of maybe bumbling their way into creating a right wing political martyr.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 11-6-2018 at 05:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Personally, this is a bigger election than 2016. I have gone through some major shit, and one of the major things that were holding me from moving is gone, so if this election goes sideways and the GOP retain control of both houses of Congress and Trump uses this to go more crazy, I will lose hope that his country will be.... a country I can be proud of. I have told my wife that if that happens we are going to start the process of moving, Canada probably, but I mean seriously looking at immigration policies, job searching, etc.

I don't think I can take another 2 years of him doing/saying whatever he wants, while his supporters are emboldened to lash out, verbally or violently against those I care about.

And if the Dems lose this election, I don't think we see them come back, in 2020 or ever.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top