GO DAYTON FLYERS!!!
Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EVENT DISCUSSION: WWE Dirrrty Money in the Desert (November 2, 2018)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4484
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 11-1-2018 at 12:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
EVENT DISCUSSION: WWE Dirrrty Money in the Desert (November 2, 2018)

I'm going out of town for a very long (read, "very drunk") weekend with friends, almost entirely off-the-grid, Thursday through Sunday.... so I figured, as much as some of us seem keen to pretend it's not happening, I should probably get this thread started for Friday afternoon's WWE show in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

But I don't really feel like going all in-depth with my standard style of preview, so I think I'll just leave it up to John Oliver to provide -- more or less -- the key things you need to know:

[Note: I set it to autoplay at the 3:05 mark, which is basically the punchline of a longer segment that has its ups and downs. But feel free to manually over-ride to watch the whole thing.]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11105
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

Mood: Branch Covidian

posted on 11-1-2018 at 01:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
BOYCOTT! BOYCOTT! BOYCOTT! FOOKIN' SAUDIS!

Whoever said one person can't change the world never accounted for the guy who ate an undercooked bat.

SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1046
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

Mood: Amused!

posted on 11-1-2018 at 02:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Have been away this week so only just back and caught up on RAW/SD and the news.

I think watching both those shows having avoided the internet made it even more surreal watching the promotion for a show while carefully never mentioning it's location, and the fact it got booed every time it was mentioned.

(Not to mention the collective groan for Takers "error" line)

Also, I actually laughed out load a little when he said "It will be slow, agonising, pain"

Given thier obvious attempts to distance themselves as best they can, it makes me wonder why they have bothered promoting it at all on TV outside of Saudi.

I predict in the future these shows will be more like Beast from the East type "Super house shows" with a few big matches but not integral to ongoing TV and angles.

I will be watching, on saturday with a few beers, partly because there are a few genuinely interesting matchups from a wrestling point of view, and out of morbid curiousity to see how it all plays out.

Feel bad for HBK - must be the most anticlimatic return from retirement of al time!

[Edited on 11-1-2018 by SpiNNeR72]

SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1046
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

Mood: Amused!

posted on 11-1-2018 at 02:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Shit - double post

[Edited on 11-1-2018 by SpiNNeR72]

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3398
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 11-1-2018 at 10:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My sneakers were probably made in an Asian sweatshop. The veal I ate last week probably had a shitty existence. There will probably be 50 people murdered today across the globe in just as horrific ways. Itís not that I donít care, but I just donít care enough to have it ruin my day.

Iíll watch it eventually. Oh well.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7854
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-2-2018 at 01:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dare I even offer up my predictions for this one?

Aw, what the hell:

Brock Lesnar vs Braun Strowman: I kind of feel like you have to put the title on Strowman here, just because the guy is like 0-5 lifetime in PPV matches for the Universal title. On the flipside, does the WWE really job Lesnar out two times in a row? Who the fuck knows, but I'll pick Braun Strowman to win.

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe: I've predicted AJ to lose the title multiple times during his reign and it's never happened. But I really feel like Joe gets the win here, just because it's pointless to have him lose yet again to AJ (not to mention the cynic in thinks that it would be the WWE's way of saying "Hey Daniel Bryan, you don't want to work Crown Jewel? Well that's fine, we'll just put the WWE title on your replacement then!"). So I'm going with Joe to (finally) win the WWE title.

DX vs Taker/Kane: Under normal circumstances I'd be super excited to see my all-time favorite wrestler back in the ring, but man, this has turned into about as anti-climatic of a return as there could be. I'll go with the Brothers of Destruction to win and who knows where the hell this feud goes after this.

World Cup Tournament: Since I'm too lazy to get super in-depth here, I'll pick Angle, Lashley, Hardy, and Mysterio to win in the opening round. Then Mysterio and Lashley winning in the next round, and finally Lashley winning the whole thing.

The Bar vs The New Day: I'll pick the heels to win after some Big Show interference.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4484
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 11-2-2018 at 01:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For those treating this thread like a regular PPV thread, with predictions and stuff, here's a tidbit that I don't know if you know about:

Drew McIntyre is not anywhere on the listed card. But he's on the ground in Riyadh as we speak, despite WWE's desire to keep costs down by taking the least number of performers possible.

I'll just go out on a limb that he's not there to show up in Dolph's corner for a 1st round J-O-B. I'll go even further out on that limb and say he's not there to help Dolph win the tourney. So that leaves exactly one option:

Somebody's thinking about putting the belt on Brock for the time being, and running with Braun vs. Drew as a non-title feud. Or am I missing something?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2527
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 11-2-2018 at 01:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Even beyond the geopolitical mess, the show itself kind of stinks. Like, Joe and Styles will be fine, of course, but their feud was already played out and I doubt Joe's got a chance at taking the title subbing at the last minute for Bryan. I don't care about either guy in the Universal title match (I don't hate Braun, he's just not my guy really). The tournament is a) meaningless and b) mostly old guys past their prime (and Bobby Lashley).

And I really don't care about DX/Brothers. Just...no.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2527
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 11-2-2018 at 01:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
Somebody's thinking about putting the belt on Brock for the time being, and running with Braun vs. Drew as a non-title feud. Or am I missing something?

There's always the incredibly unlikely possibility of them inserting Drew into Brock/Braun and having Drew walk away with the belt, stealing it out from under Braun's nose. I mean, that's not likely, but I like it better than the other two options.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7486
Registered 5-24-2004
Member Is Online

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 11-2-2018 at 11:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I figure the ending will be Heyman blinds Strowman, Brock covers, new champ. Then Hulk Hogan comes out to help Strowman for reasons, Heyman insults Hogan and calls for him to take an impromptu title match, Hogan goes in, Heyman accidentally blinds Lesnar, Leg drop, two new champs in one show. Because thatís probably as far as the audience has gotten as far as wrestling culture/history goes.

Also itís 5:40am CST and this event is still not cancelled.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2657
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 11-2-2018 at 12:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hereís to hoping Cena and Daniel Bryan donít get car-bombed
DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3398
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 11-2-2018 at 02:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
I figure the ending will be Heyman blinds Strowman, Brock covers, new champ. Then Hulk Hogan comes out to help Strowman for reasons, Heyman insults Hogan and calls for him to take an impromptu title match, Hogan goes in, Heyman accidentally blinds Lesnar, Leg drop, two new champs in one show. Because thatís probably as far as the audience has gotten as far as wrestling culture/history goes.

Also itís 5:40am CST and this event is still not cancelled.

I canít lie ... if this happened Iíd love it cause itís supposed to be entertainment. It never will happen but Hogan as a 4 day WWE champ would be funny as hell.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3398
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 11-2-2018 at 02:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187

Yeah and this.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11105
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

posted on 11-2-2018 at 05:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Cena & Bryan should be safe. Saudis are restricting the use of high-ex for school buses in Yemen only these days. Thinking more right now that with WWE's total moral collapse, as shown by their willingness to accept money from arguably one of the worst behaving countries on the planet, that there is no reason anymore to keep the memory of Chris Benoit buried. If someone gives them enough cash to overlook everything from the Saudi involvement in killing 3000 people (mostly Americans) on Sept 11, 2001 to being the primary financial supporter and religious inspiration for ISIS to dropping JDAMs on Yemeni children, then putting some guy who had a Swiss-cheese brain from all the wrestling-created concussions he got into the WWE HOF even though he ganked his own wife and kid in a spectacular fashion shouldn't be that big of an ethical conundrum.

Ah well, it is what it is...

[Edited on 11/2/2018 by Paddlefoot]

Whoever said one person can't change the world never accounted for the guy who ate an undercooked bat.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1725
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 11-2-2018 at 06:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187

Probably nothing to worry about there. The Saudis know that the Pathological-Liar-in-Chief doesn't care about journalists, but he damn sure cares about organizations that put him in their hall of fame.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6462
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Peninsula del pinga

Mood: COVIDmania

posted on 11-2-2018 at 07:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If'n you ain't watchin' (I ain't), here's a decent live recappening:

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/wwe-crown-jewel-results-live-updates-recap-grades-world-cup-start-time-highlights/

Spoilert: Meh, so far.

ďA wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that youíre afraid of.Ē - Jake The Snake

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9131
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 11-2-2018 at 07:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
BROCK! (with assist from Corbin)

Don't Mess With Texas

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2657
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 11-2-2018 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Haha wow.

Vince really gung-ho with that WWE CHAMP/UFC CHAMP idea.

gbdulaney
rOOkie

Posts 42
Registered 2-21-2013
Location Mississippi State Univ.

Mood:

posted on 11-2-2018 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

WTF WWE???? Corbin with cheap shot and 5 F-5's. Say goodbye to the Universal Championship for months.

[Edited on 11-2-2018 by gbdulaney]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11105
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

posted on 11-2-2018 at 07:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6462
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Peninsula del pinga

Mood: COVIDmania

posted on 11-2-2018 at 07:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bork's the Champeen agayn, huh? Cool. Cool cool cool.

Thanks a lot, cancer.

ďA wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that youíre afraid of.Ē - Jake The Snake

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2657
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 11-2-2018 at 07:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just read the report!

Haha jesus fucking christ, they didnít even try to make Strowman look competitive. Say what you will, but he straight jobbed to Lesnar right there. I donít give a fuck how many times he kicked out. From the sounds of it, Strowman didnít get any offense in and will now feud with Corbin.

I know the supporters-of-things-that-are-mediocre-and-refuse-to-refer-to-Rickís-subOOrdination-is-cOOl-article will come out and claim that things are just great, but thatís a crock of shit.

Fuck you for saying this is good television.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4284
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-2-2018 at 07:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I really hope Cormier forces WWE into the corner and publicly announces that he wants his match with Brock to be for both Titles.

Also, goddamnit please don't have AJ lose to Brock again at SS.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11105
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

posted on 11-2-2018 at 07:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187Fuck you for saying this is good television.

Pretty sure that the last time anyone around here cheered for Lesnar was when Goldberg returned. And they were in the minority then too.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2657
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 11-2-2018 at 07:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow, that was fast. Itís like WWE doesnít even try to hide the fact that pro wrestling is fake anymore.

Just immediately booking Aj vs Lesnar again IMMEDIATELY.

Bleh

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top