The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: That unfortunate moment you realize someone you're close with just..isn't very bright.
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2444
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 10-31-2018 at 04:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That unfortunate moment you realize someone you're close with just..isn't very bright.

I'm not talking about someone just making terrible, self-destructive decisions, because those type of people can be incredibly intelligent while still making terrible decisions.

I'm talking about that everyday idiocy. A habitual, almost daily routine of slow-witted responses, misinterpretations, and clear lack of comprehension skills or critical thinking, such as this exchange I had on my WeChat today:

First, some context - At a recent wrestling show I performed on, one of my mates hit a pumphandle slam in his match, and then edited the clip of it just being him delivering the slam portion of the move and posted it on his WeChat moments. The pumphandle looked good, too, so I replied to the video, and this short conversation followed:

Me: Why no pumphandle?
Him: Yes. A pumphandle slam.
Me: ....Why'd you cut that?

And just so there is no defending him for his misunderstanding, I had originally sent him the clip of this move from my wife's phone, since she recorded the show.

Just a total lack of cognition on his part and it happens ALL the time. Not just once. He always just doesn't get it, constantly misinterprets, and yadda yadda.

It's a shame, realizing one of your good mates is just slow, and kind of a dumbass.

Feel free to share your sad revelations.

[Edited on 10-31-2018 by CamstunPWG187]

dxlevy72
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 76
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2018 at 05:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have this experience with my 9-year old son all the time. I try to remember that he's just 9, and so there's lots of time for him to get smarter. But holy shit is he this kind of dumb.
denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3080
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 11-1-2018 at 02:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Realizing my friends are dumb, aka every time I go on Facebook. Florida just breeds the dumb.
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6149
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Orton (Orton)

posted on 11-1-2018 at 09:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
Realizing my friends are dumb, aka every time I go on Facebook. Florida just breeds the dumb.

That was a darn fine NXT. - Imam DooKi Broiler Jerzistani El Ballenhoopi

I’ll give AEW credit ... while they lack in woman’s wrestlers they really do have the market cornered on add nothing but be super hot arm candy valets these days. - Also OOur Jerzoid Imam (PBUH)

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 11-1-2018 at 06:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
At this risk of bringing politics up, what gets me all the time is the hypocrisy of people. They'll say something with such conviction, and then immediately after subvert their entire original argument.

Case in point:

Other Person: Private businesses should not have to cater to gay customers. It violates their First Amendment rights.

Me: I disagree. What about the conservative guy who is suing Facebook for shutting down his account?

Other Person: Facebook can't just go around stifling free speech. They have to respect their customers.

Me: *reaches for whiskey bottle*

The lack of critical thinking skills for some people is frustrating to the point that I don't even try anymore. I just smile at them politely and down another shot.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8921
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 11-1-2018 at 07:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
At this risk of bringing politics up, what gets me all the time is the hypocrisy of people.

This. And it's everyone. No 'side' has a monopoly on this.

My current 'favorite' though is #MeTooSelectively

Sexual assault and harassment is bad, mmkay? It's not a decision tree where the first node is "is the person accused on 'my team' or 'the other team'" and then outrage and reaction (or entire lack thereof) is a function of that.

Infuriated at our current commander in chief and/or Kavanaugh but still hold #41 and his wife as heroes? Hi!

Willing to turn a blind eye towards Kavanaugh and attack his accusers and 'defend' your actions by pointing to Hillary doing same against Billy Boy's even though you decry that when you can? Hi.

And yeah I realize I'm potentially opening a pandora's box on this one, but the macro point holds re: there being tremendous hypocrisy in this particular topic and far too many people only leaning into this when it is politically or ideologically convenient for them and being too stupid and/or stubborn to see that their 'logic' isn't working.

Don't Mess With Texas

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 11-1-2018 at 08:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
At this risk of bringing politics up, what gets me all the time is the hypocrisy of people.

This. And it's everyone. No 'side' has a monopoly on this.

My current 'favorite' though is #MeTooSelectively

Sexual assault and harassment is bad, mmkay? It's not a decision tree where the first node is "is the person accused on 'my team' or 'the other team'" and then outrage and reaction (or entire lack thereof) is a function of that.

Infuriated at our current commander in chief and/or Kavanaugh but still hold #41 and his wife as heroes? Hi!

Willing to turn a blind eye towards Kavanaugh and attack his accusers and 'defend' your actions by pointing to Hillary doing same against Billy Boy's even though you decry that when you can? Hi.

And yeah I realize I'm potentially opening a pandora's box on this one, but the macro point holds re: there being tremendous hypocrisy in this particular topic and far too many people only leaning into this when it is politically or ideologically convenient for them and being too stupid and/or stubborn to see that their 'logic' isn't working.

Agreed. There's hypocrisy on both sides.

Case in point: Liberals fawning all over Caitlyn Jenner for transitioning to another gender. Gender, by definition, is a social construct and not a biological one.

Liberals then becoming outraged over Rachel Dolezal, a white woman who lived as a black woman. Race, by definition, is a social construct and not a biological one.

No liberal has given me a good reason why one (Jenner) is OK, while the other (Dolezal) is not OK. People are either allowed to be and live how they want, or they aren't. You can't be selective because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Second Case in Point:
Conservatives breathlessly slamming Bill Clinton for his numerous sexual misdeeds with various women.

Conservatives breathless defending Donald Trump for with various sexual misdeeds with various women.

To get more to the thread's point, what irritates me is not necessarily that you are defending your team while slamming the other team. It's that a lot of people don't even SEE or RECOGNIZE their hypocrisy. They double standards they create a completely lost on them, and when you point it out they just get irrationally angry at you.

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2444
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 11-2-2018 at 06:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah fuck, come on...
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2511
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 12-10-2018 at 02:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Related - I work in a call center. I talk to 50-100 people a day. I think at least 5-10% of the people I talk to are slow (looking at you Mississippi and Alabama.) Getting yelled at or cussed at does not even remotely bug me at this point. Dumb people do.

"Hello, Mr. Jackson?"

"Yes."

"We're calling regarding your unpaid credit card account."

"I paid it off in the spring. Haven't used it since."

"It says there was a purchase made in July."

"Wasn't me."

"Okay. Sounds like your account may have been compromised. I need to get you to our fraud department to get this straightened out. Can you hold for a moment?"

"I TOLD YOU I DID NOT BUY ANYTHING IN MONTHS AND I'M NOT PAYING FOR THAT!"

"Uhhh, sir, it appears your account has been compromised and it's best you have a talk to our fraud department."

"I AIN'T PAYING FOR JACK SHIT!"

[slams phone down, presumably kicks dog or wife]

Me

Fucking maddening.

Another fun one;

"Hello, Mrs Smith?"

"Yes, that's me. Who is this?"

"I'm calling on from Bank A behalf of Retail Store X's credit card. Your account is two months past due. We need to schedule a payment."

"Well I can't give out my debit to a strange person on the phone."

"I don't want your information. I have it already. I'm with Bank A. You typically pay us online with a checking account from Wells Fargo, ending in 3298. All I have to do is enter the amount and date and we're done."

"I just don't trust this. I'm not giving you my information."

"Uh.... Like I said, I don't want your info. I have it."

"You're a scammer!" [click]

Another fun one is when you basically figure out that a customer opened a card, to buy like $75 in clothes, with zero intention of paying it back. Congrats, you're fucking your credit for years because you wanted a pair of jeans for free. You fucking potato. Please don't have kids.

maclen
Showstopper

Posts 665
Registered 9-10-2003
Location 22 Acacia Ave

Mood: for a day

posted on 2-19-2019 at 09:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The saddest realization for me is that "I'M" actually not very bright. Up until recently, I thought I was pretty super smart, and I did for a long time since childhood. Turns out I'm not. And to top it off I'm old too!

It's actually not sad. It's kinda funny, and liberating!

Rising From Darkness where hell hath no mercy and the screams of vengeance echo on forever, only those who keep the faith shall escape the wrath of The Metallian...
Master of all Metal

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3947
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 2-20-2019 at 04:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This one just fucking boggles my mind…
My wife and I know this other couple, we have been friends with them for over 20 years, we knew him before her, but they have been married for almost 20 years, have 4 children (ranging from 17-11), and three dogs. Suddenly the wife posts on Facebook a few days ago that they have been separated for a couple of months, and have decided to permanently separate.
Neither one of us saw this coming, there was never any issues or signs of any problems. They went to Myrtle Beach for Christmas. My wife reached out to both, offering support, and after a day or two the wife responded that the husband just told her a couple of days after Christmas, that he wasn’t happy, and he didn’t love her anymore. She said she was blindsided and had been staying with friends and trying to cope because she still loves him.
Finally, this morning he responded to my wife’s follow up text of basically “What the fuck is going on? How do you just wake up and decide you don’t love your wife?” With basically “If you ignore the past few years I guess, but I’m tired of explaining myself.”

In the beginning we were wondering if there was someone else for one of them, but now from what we now know, how the fuck do you have problems for years, and not discuss them with your spouse?
Both my wife and I are having severe reservations about seeing him in the future.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

Wickedfrost
I LOVE RVD

Posts 946
Registered 2-14-2006

Mood: Awesome!

posted on 2-20-2019 at 09:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
This one just fucking boggles my mind…
My wife and I know this other couple, we have been friends with them for over 20 years, we knew him before her, but they have been married for almost 20 years, have 4 children (ranging from 17-11), and three dogs. Suddenly the wife posts on Facebook a few days ago that they have been separated for a couple of months, and have decided to permanently separate.
Neither one of us saw this coming, there was never any issues or signs of any problems. They went to Myrtle Beach for Christmas. My wife reached out to both, offering support, and after a day or two the wife responded that the husband just told her a couple of days after Christmas, that he wasn’t happy, and he didn’t love her anymore. She said she was blindsided and had been staying with friends and trying to cope because she still loves him.
Finally, this morning he responded to my wife’s follow up text of basically “What the fuck is going on? How do you just wake up and decide you don’t love your wife?” With basically “If you ignore the past few years I guess, but I’m tired of explaining myself.”

In the beginning we were wondering if there was someone else for one of them, but now from what we now know, how the fuck do you have problems for years, and not discuss them with your spouse?
Both my wife and I are having severe reservations about seeing him in the future.

Happens a lot more than you would think. Easily avoided by having a trusted marriage coach/counselor/spiritual adviser early on to negotiate the little things so they don't add up. Their marriage was probably DOA 5-10 years ago.

And my father said
When I was younger
Hard times breed better men

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3947
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 2-21-2019 at 05:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wickedfrost

Happens a lot more than you would think. Easily avoided by having a trusted marriage coach/counselor/spiritual adviser early on to negotiate the little things so they don't add up. Their marriage was probably DOA 5-10 years ago.

I could see that if both parties knew something was wrong, but she said she was blindsided, and there was never any sign of issues as they continuously were doing things together, even trips with just the two of them.

I guess part of the problem I am having with this whole thing, is why didn't he talk to her about this when it first started. I really doubt he just woke up one day and not in love.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 2-21-2019 at 05:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This happened to the parents of a friend of a relative of mine. One day, he just packed his shit and left. Moved into an apartment across town. No fight. No warning. Just...bye.

I think a lot of guys just have trouble communicating. They hold it in, bite their tongue, and refuse to feel vulnerable. And a lot of women have trouble listening. They get defensive and angry and emotional. For some guys, "talking about it" isn't worth the damned drama. It's easier to keep their mouth shut and just walk away.

I mean it's a nice thought to think you could just both sit down on the couch and have a pleasant, drama-free chat about the things that are bothering you in your marriage, but reality is a lot fucking messier than that.

[Edited on 2-21-2019 by CCharger]

-- The Rick

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2444
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 2-21-2019 at 08:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think a lot of guys really don’t care to have the debate. When they make up their mind, it’s not gonna be changed. Sitting through hours of dramatic conversation is just not what they wanna do. Unfortunately, that conversation is going to happen, lest the woman become so insulted as to swear a silent revenge.

This also can go both ways, but I feel it happens a lot more with guys than with women based on personal experience.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3947
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 2-21-2019 at 08:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I guess I can understand if it was sudden, but I guess to me, the problem I am having with this is I don't see how you can just go from in love completely to out of love completely that quickly.

Again, this is just me, but there had to be things that bothered him and instead of talking about it, he just held it in and let it build with other things for years?

For example, my wife has told me about something that I was doing that bothered her, it was small, about how/where I clip my nails, and I have tried to change to make her happy, and I have done the same to her about things that bother me.

I just can't understand not talking about these things before they become huge fights.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 2-21-2019 at 10:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
I guess I can understand if it was sudden, but I guess to me, the problem I am having with this is I don't see how you can just go from in love completely to out of love completely that quickly.

Again, this is just me, but there had to be things that bothered him and instead of talking about it, he just held it in and let it build with other things for years?

For example, my wife has told me about something that I was doing that bothered her, it was small, about how/where I clip my nails, and I have tried to change to make her happy, and I have done the same to her about things that bother me.

I just can't understand not talking about these things before they become huge fights.

Maybe she was a Charlotte fan and he liked Becky.

-- The Rick

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4558
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-22-2019 at 04:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
While not on topic Mike's story made me think of this;

I worked in insurance; We'd get calls all the time to take people off the auto or home policy for a variety of reasons. One day I get a call and notice the lady calling is 95... She wants to take her husband off the policy. I said that I hoped everything was okay naturally assuming at 95 odds are the hubby died.

Nope... They were getting a divorce.

How badly do you have to hate the other person to divorce one another when you are in your 90's that choosing to die alone makes more sense? I mean I get it, there's probably legit reasons... but it's still kinda weird.

Back on topic... Yeah I realise that some friends and family aren't the brightest from time to time (or hell, even myself); but generally speaking I attribute it less to being dumb and more complete obliviousness to certain topics and the dangers they can sometimes present. My mom is a very smart lady, and medical stuff out the ying yang (clearly I don't)... But I'm forever telling her to stop signing up for random shit on the internet because they are offering a free t-shirt.

One of my best friends is a very high priced lawyer and probably smarter than me... But he also grew up in a fairly rich household, so his grasp of any kind of working class problems is a bit glaring at time... Not necessarily elitist, just oblivious and to the point of arguing about stuff like that time and again.

I've another friend that I'd call a fairly intelligent guy but he is a bit too easily swayed... He rented some videos on veganism to support his girlfriend going through some kind of cleanse; result, he no longer eats meat (okay I realize this isn't the most extreme example, but it's very par for the course for him)... I'm desperately trying to keep him away from a "free" Scientology personality test

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top