The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Roman Reigns Has Leukemia; Vacates Championship
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 10-22-2018 at 03:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Roman Reigns Has Leukemia; Vacates Championship

So, I'm not the biggest Roman Reigns fan and I don't follow WWE as closely as the rest of you. Still, the argument has always been that "Reigns can't get over" or the "Roman Reigns experiment has failed" or "Time to turn Reigns heel".

However, those arguments have gone quiet. So, does that mean that WWE finally succeeded in getting Reigns over as the top babyface? If so, how did they do it? Did they just finally beat everyone into submission? Or are hardcore fans finally accepting Reigns because of what he does?

[Edited on 10-22-2018 by CCharger]

NOTE:

This was originally a silly thread asking if Roman Reigns had finally gotten over with fans. Ironically, it was posted mere hours before he made his shocking announcement that would be vacating the Universal championship due to a return of his leukemia. I've changed it to make it more relevant to the important issue of the day.

[Edited on 10-23-2018 by CCharger]

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8887
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 10-22-2018 at 04:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
People give a shit about the Shield.

He is involved in a Shield storyline.

Don't Mess With Texas

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2450
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-22-2018 at 04:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think a lot of it is just that his reaction is normalized now. Him being a babyface who gets a large percentage of boos is just part of who he is now. They don't have to book around it or control it because anybody who would've been driven off by it (and let's face it, that's not actually very many at all, most people who bitch about Reigns still watch the product) would've quit years ago.

I've always thought Roman was a good performer and has genuinely gotten better. The only bad match he had this year was against Jinder and...well, it's Jinder and I try to keep an open mind, but Jinder just sucks, he does.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4025
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 10-22-2018 at 08:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He's in the 08-09 stage of SuperCena where we all kinda just shrugged and accepted the divisive character wasn't changing.
Columbo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1011
Registered 11-2-2004
Location @columbo527

Mood: GodDamnWOOO

posted on 10-23-2018 at 12:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If he wasn't he is now.
Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 10-23-2018 at 01:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He will be over as fuck when he beats cancer.

[Edited on 10-23-2018 by Eli]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 10-23-2018 at 02:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This was either the most most poorly timed thread ever, or the best.

Perhaps, we can turn this in to the Roman Reigns has leukemia thread?

[Edited on 10-23-2018 by CCharger]

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3946
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 10-23-2018 at 03:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Am I the only one that saw the headline and thought: "What a terrible work from Vince." to "Is this from the Onion?" to "Crap."

ETA: the Cancer, not the thread....

[Edited on 10-23-2018 by OOMike]

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4025
Registered 1-22-2013

posted on 10-23-2018 at 03:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kind of nuts guy performed at the level he does considering what he was dealing with.

I wonder what happens from here. Do they move somebody from SD to RAW to make up for lost star power? Are they going to put the belt back on Lesnar? What the hell are they goign to do for WM?

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12662
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 10-23-2018 at 04:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think that whoever gets the title between Brock and Braun, neither would be a bad choice. Braun is the better choice, but regardless of if he wins or loses, his next story should have him feud with Drew (or feud with both Drew and Dolph).

Seth and Dean feuding will likely stretch out through WrestleMania, trading the IC title, or Dean costing Seth the IC title and removing it from their storyline.

Brock as champ, unfortunately, would bring the Universal title to part time status again, and Braun as Universal champ would be a great way to see if he can be the guy.

After Crown Jewel, I think we'll start seeing Batista on WWE TV more. If Brock wins at Crown Jewel, I could see them do a story with Batista in a Goldberg-esque run where Batista becomes the champ. I'm not saying that's the best move, but I could totally see that happening.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Nobledictator1278
Fella

Posts 476
Registered 4-9-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-23-2018 at 07:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So I don't pretend to understand Leukemia and its effects, and I don't want to come off as a heartless prick for this....if I do I do.... but I am wondering. Why didn't they just have Roman drop the belt. He was just working a match last Monday, so in a weeks time does the disease take that ability away.

Why not have a random title match on Raw and a surprise title change, then next week have him come out and declare he is leaving the company.

1. I know that his condition is real and that is a lot to ask for someone that must be grieving personally and with the family. However I get the impression that wrestling is important to him and his family, its in the blood and would want to put someone over on his way out as most wrestlers do.

2. If he can do it, that's a huge moment for someone on Raw and the title is always better when it is not vacated.

Again if he can't physically do just one last match I get it, but if he worked a week ago, and he was in the building, is one more match detrimental. With all this said I know that this is serious (and I am not trying to be a insensitive prick). I hope the best for him, or anyone with such horrific news, life is bullshit that way.

BC
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1805
Registered 3-30-2002
Location in the bush

Mood: Blessed be

posted on 10-23-2018 at 07:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I would assume he's beginning treatment as soon as possible, if he hasn't already. Its just as harsh to the body as chemotherapy, if not chemotherapy itself. No way he could wrestle a match while undergoing treatment.
First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4025
Registered 1-22-2013

posted on 10-23-2018 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Plus he might be up for it but no way in shit WWE would let it happen.
salmonjunkie

Posts 12662
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-23-2018 at 09:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That probably would've happened back in the day, but no way in today's WWE, the publicly traded company.

"they knowingly had a guy diagnosed with leukemia go out there and wrestle?'

PR nightmare.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7565
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-24-2018 at 12:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You know, if the best case scenario happens and Roman is able to return to the ring down the road, he's going to have the most bizarre career trajectory ever. From being mega-over with the Shield to being mega-hated as a singles wrestler to probably being mega-over once again should he ever step back into a WWE ring. For as much heat as he got from the live crowds, I can't imagine anyone booing him (at least for a little while) should he be able to come back.
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 748
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-24-2018 at 12:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
That probably would've happened back in the day, but no way in today's WWE, the publicly traded company.

"they knowingly had a guy diagnosed with leukemia go out there and wrestle?'

PR nightmare.

Not only that but the fans would see right through it...... Building towards a huge show and then a few weeks before, an out of nowhere title change, then the next week “I’ve got leukemia”. We’re not actually that naive.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3065
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 10-24-2018 at 03:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Aside from the decision being forced on WWE, I think it’s better for Roman Reigns the Brand to go out the way he did rather than jobbing. It’s worth the risk for WWE to not give the rub to someone else just based on how massively over Roman will be if he comes back. It’ll be an amazing story kayfabe and in real life.
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3946
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 10-24-2018 at 11:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nobledictator1278
Again if he can't physically do just one last match I get it, but if he worked a week ago, and he was in the building, is one more match detrimental. With all this said I know that this is serious (and I am not trying to be a insensitive prick). I hope the best for him, or anyone with such horrific news, life is bullshit that way.

I don't know the medical answer to what it is doing to his body, but it is possible that after that match last week something felt wrong and when he got it checked out, that is when they discovered the Leukemia had come back, and yes it would have been bad for him to wrestle again.

Plus I think this is a better way for him to drop the title, while he may have wanted to go out putting someone else over, the WWE gave him a better moment, that could possibly be his last time in the ring.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 10-24-2018 at 02:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't know anything about leukemia.

What is the treatment? Chemo? What are the chances of success? I guess my questions boil down to one? How long can we expect Reigns to be out? Six months? A year? Three? Five?

-- The Rick

salmonjunkie

Posts 12662
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-24-2018 at 02:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Leukemia is a cancer of the blood cells, when your body creates more white blood cells then it needs. It can be treated by chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, or bone marrow transplant. Generally, chemotherapy and drug treatment is the first treatment plan. but that would depend on which type of leukemia he has (there are many kinds, but fall into acute or chronic, with some worse then others), how invasive it is, and how resistant to treatment it is.

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by salmonjunkie]

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 10-24-2018 at 04:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
Leukemia is a cancer of the blood cells, when your body creates more white blood cells then it needs. It can be treated by chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, or bone marrow transplant. Generally, chemotherapy and drug treatment is the first treatment plan. but that would depend on which type of leukemia he has (there are many kinds, but fall into acute or chronic, with some worse then others), how invasive it is, and how resistant to treatment it is.

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by salmonjunkie]

So, it sounds like Roman won't be wrestling again for several months and probably over a year?

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by CCharger]

-- The Rick

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10653
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 10-24-2018 at 04:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I read up on this particular cancer that it's harder to recover when it re-occurs later in life after it's been treated before when the patient was younger - even being just 33 years old will make a difference in effectiveness and pace of recovery despite just being a ten year gap since he last had to go through this. There will apparently be four to six cycles of chemo for Roman, where he's going to lose all his hair and a significant amount of muscle weight because of it. The chemo will also be a nightmare of nausea for him, even if he uses medical marijuana to keep his appetite stimulated.

This is going to be a nightmare of fatigue and incessant puking for him. Everyone recovers differently depending on a variety of factors ranging from age to general health at the time of diagnosis. I'll be genuinely shocked to see him return until at least a year has passed, even with the monetary resources both he and WWE will be able to provide for him.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

AmericanNightmare
rOOkie

Posts 25
Registered 7-2-2006
Location Lilburn, GA

Mood: Spedoinkel!

posted on 10-25-2018 at 10:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I assume we'll be seeing a lot of this sort of thing in the coming weeks and I thought this was probably the place to share it.

This is a reminiscence about Roman from Aleister Black's FB page. It provides an interesting look at both men:

https://www.iwnerd.com/aleister-black-shares-a-touching-behind-the-scenes-story-about-roman-reigns/

“Roman Reigns.

I am not someone who usually does this, but given the circumstance I felt I wanted to write a little bit.

When I started out in wrestling it wasn’t easy to get in as it is now. Back in 2000 wrestling, especially coming from the Netherlands, was still somewhat hidden. People weren’t eager to train you, and you’d have to seek out your training in different countries and finding people that wanted to train you. It wasn’t as easy as paying a school and just going there.

I’d like to think that a part of my training enjoyed some classical aspects in the form of respect. Respecting other people’s moves, other people’s characters, and lockerroom etiquettes. Something that to an extend was also found in the Dojo’s that I used to train when doing Pencak Silat or Kickboxing.

I would carry this with me along the path to other places in Europe, Japan and eventually the WWE.

Fast forward 17 years and it is May 2017 and I am having my first tour with RAW, live events and working Main Event against Curt Hawkings.

During the Live events I’d make sure that the lockerrooms were kept clean after the wrestlers were gone, the garbage was taken care of, towels were stacked and that post match people had water, especially the uppercard. Stuff that in my opinion is long forgotten and not practiced anymore, however I feel that these things are important as they teach about respect and keep you humble, something very much needed in this generation.

After a few nights we sat down as I also tried to let people get to know me as it is important for the people that you work with to see you and are able to interact with you, these are your colleagues and the people you work with for hopefully a very long and fulfilling time. During the sit down I got a change to talk to Roman a little bit and we talked about tattoos, music, his background and his heritage.

At a certain point during that conversation Roman looked at me and said “I don’t want you cleaning the lockerrooms anymore.” “I want you to understand that you belong here and I want for you to kill it every night and be part of the team, that’s all I care about.” “you’ve been wrestling long enough to understand how this works, so please, relax.”

I would’ve never stopped doing that until a lockerroom leader like Roman, Seth, Bray or Finn would’ve told me to stop, because that’s how I was taught. Earn your keep, earn your place, earn respect.

Every time after that when I would see him he would greet me with a big hug and ask me how I was doing in his calm and composed demeanor.

Despite not knowing Roman very well, despite having limited interactions with Roman I am very thankful for them. At the end of that same tour Roman told us to be thankful and that no matter what match you had, good or bad, the beauty was that we get to do it all over again the next day.

and he’s right..

All the strength to a fantastic human being, performer and leader.

Till we meet again, Roman”

I know you stole my Loverboy tape!

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   AmericanNightmare 's Yahoo
salmonjunkie

Posts 12662
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-25-2018 at 02:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger

So, it sounds like Roman won't be wrestling again for several months and probably over a year?

My guess is over a year, for the reasons Pad mentioned. However, it's all in the realm of possibility that it could be less then a year. These athletes sometimes have some amazing recovery and return times, whether it be from having good genes, strong and well-kept bodies, or intense desire and determination to recover and improve.

Man, he is going to be so over if/when he comes back.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7805
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-25-2018 at 05:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So, I know people bring up Mario Lemieux when talking athletes and Leukemia. But I think Brian Boyle from the Devils is also worth noting. If you don’t know, Boyle was diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia last September.

He missed 6 weeks. And had one of the best years of his career. Today he announced his cancer was in remission.

So while no sure thing, a best case scenario could see Roman pull a Cena and enter the Rumble as # 30.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top