The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Walking Dead Season Nine
G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1595
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 4-2-2019 at 10:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It wasn't the most exciting season finale; it's like the penultimate episode was the finale and the finale was something of an epilogue. But having said that, I'd take 100 "nothing much happens" finales over one more bullshit cliffhanger a la season 6.
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10540
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Mordor of the soul

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 4-3-2019 at 02:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They couldn't top the previous episode so a slower one setting up some things for next year was probably the best thing to do. Can't go full-bore all the time. As a minimum we now know how much cold it takes to make a zombie freeze solid, and even then it's a crapshoot if they get covered with enough snow to provide them with a bit of a thermal blanket. So much for them all just going immobile making them an easy kill, which ties in somewhat to the book version of World War Z, where the high northern areas of the planet became no-go zones for humans due to the unknown numbers of undead (probably in the millions) that are now lurking under the snow waiting for some poor sap to wander within reach.

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3943
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 4-3-2019 at 12:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
They couldn't top the previous episode so a slower one setting up some things for next year was probably the best thing to do.

What about that episode makes you want to watch the next season to get anything resolved? The voice on the radio? The whipping of Alpha? Carol's future with Ezekiel? Ending it after last week, you have to tune back in and see how they are going to handle the shamble of zombies, the deaths of so many characters, and the void of leadership on Hilltop. Come back with the snow episode next season.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8261
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 4-3-2019 at 04:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It was slower and not too much happened-- which I would argue is nice, since if every season finale had some kind of shocking death, that would also get old-- but it DID have the Negan face(ish) turn. Sacrificing his own well being to save a child and a dog. And Rick's child, no less... his former worst enemy!

If you notice at the end, he isn't even handcuffed in the infirmary... that's pretty big time.

Ok so maybe he isn't full on good guy, but now he's more of an antihero than full on villain. The "father not the father" line was pretty great.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1937
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 4-3-2019 at 05:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
“Father Not-The-Father” was so good that even Gabriel seemed a little amused.

Negan had a few good moments. “Seriously? Not one of you assholes is going to untie me?”

Then they almost got a little too over-writer-y at the end when he asked about Ezekiel’s crew, and when asked if he cared, responded “I know what it’s like to lose a kingdom...” only to save it by immediately following up “...it sucks ass.”

I'm Cherokee Jack!

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 4-4-2019 at 03:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
quote:
They couldn't top the previous episode so a slower one setting up some things for next year was probably the best thing to do.

What about that episode makes you want to watch the next season to get anything resolved? The voice on the radio? The whipping of Alpha? Carol's future with Ezekiel? Ending it after last week, you have to tune back in and see how they are going to handle the shamble of zombies, the deaths of so many characters, and the void of leadership on Hilltop. Come back with the snow episode next season.

Alpha and the Whisperers are going to war against our folks, now consolidated and reconfigured in Alexandria and Hilltop. Negan may or may not be a prisoner anymore. Daryl lives in a town again, and the same town as his bestie, Carol. And there is still a huge shamble of zombies out there, that megaherd that Alpha has waiting in the canyon. Those developments are enough to make me tune in to watch the following season. I don't need a big cliffhanger to reel me in to watch what comes next. The snow episode was fine, it felt like a good epilogue to last week, and a bookend to the season.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9445
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-4-2019 at 04:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All I know is that whenever Negan and Alpha come face-to-face it is going to be EPIC.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7334
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 5-16-2019 at 11:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Walking Dead survived a ton of cancellations, however Lauren Cohen’s new show was not so lucky. So if they’re not too butthurt about her leaving, seems like a good time to bring her back.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10540
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-7-2019 at 06:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bump. Anyone bothering with FTWD this year? I was up to episode 4 when they shut our cable off in June and now they're up to ep 13. After the strong second half of the season they had last year it looked like they were getting better. But aside from introducing Dwight (the former Negan henchman) from the main show and having Reuben Blades return as Daniel the first four episodes of this season seemed like they sadly returned to general stupidity and goofiness being their main thing again. I can torrent and catch up on what I missed but I don't want to waste any more time on this show if it's fallen into idiocy again.

[Edited on 9/7/2019 by Paddlefoot]

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5929
Registered 1-28-2013
Location THE WORST IN THE WOOOOORLD

Mood: I STILL GOT IT!

posted on 9-7-2019 at 10:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Bump. Anyone bothering with FTWD this year? I was up to episode 4 when they shut our cable off in June and now they're up to ep 13. After the strong second half of the season they had last year it looked like they were getting better. But aside from introducing Dwight (the former Negan henchman) from the main show and having Reuben Blades return as Daniel the first four episodes of this season seemed like they sadly returned to general stupidity and goofiness being their main thing again. I can torrent and catch up on what I missed but I don't want to waste any more time on this show if it's fallen into idiocy again.

[Edited on 9/7/2019 by Paddlefoot]

SPOILERT!

Sad to report it's on the downswing again, and shockingly so. It's very clear they are not budgeting this show anywhere near the ballpark of TWD or even past seasons of FTWD. It's fully descended into interminable philosophical monologuing from every single fucking character about "sticking together" or "finding a place to stay" or specifically with this season "looking for others that need our help". It's utterly baffling how everyone all of a sudden adopted a seemingly cult-like go along to get along Kumbaya attitude with their expressed mission statement of just finding and helping people.

Even surly-assed Daniel resurfaced and somehow turned into a mellow fellow after making peace with Strand over the latter fucking up the former's reuniting with Ophelia before she died a season or so back. Badassed gunslinger John Dorie is mainly just a cornpone dialogue spewin' caricature at this point. The formerly elegantly duplicitous and always interesting Strand is just Regular Black Guy Character now. Alicia was covered in radioactive zombie blood a few episodes ago, which somehow was a threat in the beginning episodes of the season, but now she's fine just fine. There aren't even any echos of her once interesting family, including her fuckass step-brother Chris, to remember now even though they were the focal point of the goddamn show to begin with.

'Member Morgan and Dwight from TWD? 'Member all the unique and interesting history they shared? Well, I hope you enjoy them barely alluding to it and maddeningly talking around said history, because that's all they do here. Hell, when Dwight got caught by one of this season's bland nobody henchmen and was about to be tortured for info, it would have been a perfect opportunity when his captor was about to lay into him to either start singing, "I'm on easy street..." or somesuch callback to let the guy know he didn't give a shit about being roughed up. Also, as far as the season's Big Bads go, they somehow managed to make the normally reliably creepy Matt Frewer (Max Headroom hisself) as less frightening than one of Negan's more inept soldiers.

Also, 'member when they did the storyline with Father Gabriel on TWD and what happened with his parishioners? Well, they did the exact same thing in the last episode except with a Rabbi in a Synagogue instead! Though I suppose it was economically poetic not only in that it took just one episode to apparently go through the Rabbi's entire guilt arc, but given how Chosenarians are, um, dude let's not forget that keeping wildlife, an amphibious rodent, for uh, domestic, you know, within the city... that ain't legal either.

So, all in all I'm enjoying it and am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out because I'm a sucker for this horrid shit and there ain't much else to watch on the teevee anyway.

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10540
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-9-2019 at 12:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
1) That's my daughter up there on the screen! Obscure av for the disturbing win!

2) SHUT THE FUCK UP, JANNY, YOU BLACK ASSH..... oh, sorry, been watching too much South Park again, especially the ones featuring Cartman v. Token. You kind of just got caught in a Tourette's crossfire there, mate, as a few of my synapsis just fired off wrong.

3) Thanks for the synopsis on the zombie show from dreckworld. Good a time as any to drop it altogether from the viewing list. Maybe they should have watched a couple of episodes of Terminator: TSCC just to see how good a show with Garret Dillahunt can be when they let him cut loose, instead of wasting him with some kind of aw-shucks Hee-Haw role. For all the star power they added last season with the three new big-name hires, plus all the potential to be used from adding Dwight, there's no reason for this show to be this consistently bad most of the time. It's actually counter-intuitive that FTWD is like this, which leads to the conclusion that it's a purposeful strategy for some unknown reason to treat it like a joke. Kind of, and too much, like WWE's product, is there any real reason for the serious fan to keep watching when the makers have no respect for their own product?

Gonna be extra-maddening too if, like so many horrid comic book mega-crossovers, it'll turn out that watching this season's FTWD is essential to understand what they're going to do with the upcoming Rick Grimes one-shots that Andy Lincoln committed himself to before he left the mother ship. Fuckers!

<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top