The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Walking Dead Season Nine
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 684
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-27-2018 at 10:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh look! Negen escaped. Idiots. (And yes, I know that that happens in the comic and yaddayaddayadda, but from their viewpoint, again, why?)

I liked Jesus, but it seemed like he never really did anything. Reminded me of Tyreese. And yeah, that cemetery scene was pretty darn creepy. Loved it.

I must’ve missed why Michonne won’t help the other settlements or what that whole council thing is about. Shouldn’t they all watch each other’s back? And how far away are all of these settlements from each other? Also, I’m assuming Preacher left the cage open so he’d fuck off or maybe to play a game and show how stupid Negen was for staying in an unlocked cell....and then that backfired.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 11-27-2018 at 05:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Was really surprised that Jesus died, but am glad he got a killer scene to have a send off. I read that the actor was frustrated that Jesus didn't get to do hardly any of the cool shit he did in the comics. Instead of catching a grenade and throwing it back at the Saviors during The War, he fights with Morgan about whether or not to kill.

I was hoping that we'd get some gay-on-gay action between Jesus and Aaron but NOPE! Had to go kill off the badass gay ninja dude. Good way to really introduce the Whisperers, though.

Shit, does that mean Tara is the leader at Hilltop? That would kinda suck, because Tara kinda sucks. And if there's no leader at Hilltop, does that mean we're going to have Magda of the new group try to get power? Oy...

Negan's cell being unlocked - yeah, that was Gabriel just being careless, because he's all angry/sad about not being able to help Rosita. (I guess though, that means the guy who unshackled Negan during that talk was also careless in not checking the door, because Gabriel left before that guy)

They haven't explained why Michonne is being an isolationist re: Alexandria. Perhaps it has to do with that X scar on her abdomen that Darryl also has. Maybe Maggie shat in her cheerios or baby Herschell beat up baby RJ. Maybe they argued about rebuilding the bridge and Michonne wouldn't agree.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 684
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-27-2018 at 08:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I didn’t realize there was a guy in the room after Gabriel....maybe he was a Savior?
salmonjunkie

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-27-2018 at 10:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I doubt that.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10520
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Mordor of the soul

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 11-27-2018 at 10:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Gotta respect Carol the other week for her pragmatic and emotionless destruction of the remaining Saviours when she set them on fire. The look on the boy's face when he saw that she got her ring back, and knowing too exactly how she did it, was kind of priceless - don't mess with step-mother! Too bad about Regina though. As a huge, huge fan of the lesbian haircut esthetic, and a fan of hard-edged lesbos in general, I would have liked to see her stick around as a regular background character. Butch had brains and guts so it's unfortunate that her sticking to the path of the asshole led her to such a sorry ending.

Will be interesting too when Negan gets back to the Sanctuary and finds it abandoned and derelict. Will be even neater if Dwight has taken up his home there and they get down to the confrontation/new understanding that they're both overdue to have. The part with Gabe leaving the cell unlocked isn't stupid either, BTW. It's exactly how it happened in the comic, except with a different easily-distracted character being responsible for it happening.

[Edited on 11/27/2018 by Paddlefoot]

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 684
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-28-2018 at 10:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The comic is different from the show enough where just because something happened in the comic, it doesn’t mean that it’s smart to have it play out in the show. I wish we could get past that. Regardless where it happened, leaving Negen alive was fucking stupid and Gabriel not paying attention to the cell door was dumb, too.

Also, I have no idea who Regina is/was just on name alone. ???

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1595
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 11-28-2018 at 07:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39
The comic is different from the show enough where just because something happened in the comic, it doesn’t mean that it’s smart to have it play out in the show. I wish we could get past that. Regardless where it happened, leaving Negen alive was fucking stupid and Gabriel not paying attention to the cell door was dumb, too.

"That's how they did it in the comic" doesn't work as a plot point justification in and of itself, but it makes some of the plot points more palatable to me because I know (or at least have a general idea of) where they're heading. Like, if I think the show will handle Negan's post-defeat character the way the comic has, then I'm not as motivated to nitpick the in-continuity reasons for sparing him.

Having said that, I think the show has done a perfectly acceptable job of explaining the rationale behind leaving him alive. Rick wanted to spare Negan because he thought it's what Carl would have wanted, and by the time Rick is out of the picture, the No. 1 proponent of killing Negan -- Maggie -- has seen that he's not worth killing.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-28-2018 at 07:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm going to say that it was both careless and stupid for the character to have left the cell unlocked in both the show and the comic.

Not stupid storyline-wise that it happened, but the character being careless was a stupid move on the character.

Probably not a spoiler -
I don't think Negan does what he does in the comic with his discovery that the cell is unlocked. I think if he were to run in to Dwight that would be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing if even they change what he does, if he ends up in the same place he does in the comic book. There's a lot of that, where A -> Z is the same story, but the details from B -> Y are different.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 11-29-2018 at 01:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jesus' death was a shock, and it has been a while since the show did that, well I guess Carl was a shock, but maybe the way Jesus died was the shock, Zombies can duck now?

On the other hand, he was starting to get some chemistry with Aaron, and judging by Talking Dead, the two actors had a good relationship, so it sucks that got cut short.

Both my wife and I are starting to get bored with the way they are dragging the whole mystery behind why Michonne is not getting along with anyone.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-29-2018 at 03:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
Both my wife and I are starting to get bored with the way they are dragging the whole mystery behind why Michonne is not getting along with anyone.

Agreed. We know that all the main characters seem to know what happened and why it came to be, but they all talk around it so that it remains vague and a mystery to the viewer. That's frustrating.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10520
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 11-30-2018 at 02:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not trying to start a fight or anything, guys, but you're really reaching for something to complain about if a resolution to a new plot point that was introduced all of three episodes ago hasn't been made yet. They'll obviously get around to it in time with a story involving a new enemy or civil war that broke out between the communities in-between Rick's "death" and the current time period six years later.

I'm seeing a lot of this in sci-fi/horror/action genres these days, that a lot of complaining erupts if conclusions aren't provided immediately. Anyone know why this is happening among the fans these days? It never used to be this way. To my way of thinking it goes against the quality of a production to have everything resolved right away because these genres have always done best when they had the time, counted in years if necessary, to make the story worthwhile of watching.

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1595
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 11-30-2018 at 03:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm very much in the "take as long as you need, 'The Walking Dead,' I can wait" camp, but I can see how people might be frustrated at the lack of details regarding the mysterious falling out. From what I've read, it's not so much about needing to have a resolution NOW NOW NOW NOW, it's about the way the characters dance around explaining it, and that's sort of an ongoing problem viewers have with the show -- characters have a tendency to speak in generalities when specifics would be far more useful to them in-universe. That is to say, if the characters were trying to figure out the reasons for the falling-out, it would be one thing, but instead, all of them know about it, and they're just deliberately keeping the viewers in the dark.

Again, I reiterate, I don't particularly care -- I'm 100 percent on board with being kept in the dark occasionally, as long as the payoff is worth it -- but I can see where the detractors are coming from.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 11-30-2018 at 01:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As GJJ said, we are not looking for the why being resolved, but would like to know the why. Yes it was introduce 3 episodes ago, but 4 episodes ago, everyone was working together to build a better world. Everyone was helping each other, sharing what extra resources they had, working on roads and bridges, etc.

Case in point, Darryl has been living on his own for a few years, but in a quick conversation we know that he was looking for Rick's body and just became a hermit and stayed out in the woods. See the why was explained but no need to bring Darryl back to Alexandria.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

salmonjunkie

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-30-2018 at 06:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
From what I've read, it's not so much about needing to have a resolution NOW NOW NOW NOW, it's about the way the characters dance around explaining it, and that's sort of an ongoing problem viewers have with the show -- characters have a tendency to speak in generalities when specifics would be far more useful to them in-universe. That is to say, if the characters were trying to figure out the reasons for the falling-out, it would be one thing, but instead, all of them know about it, and they're just deliberately keeping the viewers in the dark.

That's where I'm at. I'm ok with slow burns, taking a while to learn a mystery and such, I just have a problem with knowing that these characters know what they're talking about, but almost seem to go out of their way not to talk about it just so it stays a mystery to the viewer. It'd be one thing if a character knows something that others don't, and the viewer gets to learn along with the other characters.

And at least, for this current storyline, it's a minor thing I don't like - but it's not enough for me to say "this show is the worst!" Hell, I sat through and enjoyed 7 seasons of Sons Of Anarchy where most of the drama occurred simply because the characters conveniently had shitty communication skills.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8260
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 11-30-2018 at 09:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No show could possibly be as bad at all that as Sons of Anarchy was. Jesus H that show just got to be so fucking stupid because it was lousy with moments like it.

The time jump was six years. To me, it would be more dumb and unrealistic if they had these characters-- who already lived through everything-- stand around and recall the event(s) in question for no reason.

I dunno if anyone watched Last Man On Earth, but they nailed it after a six month time jump, when Will Forte has the line, “So many powerful moments. Too many to go into detail. And we were all there anyway, so what’s the friggin’ point?”

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5926
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

Mood: Donkey Show

posted on 1-29-2019 at 12:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Welp, back on the ol' horse Feb. 10th...

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10520
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 2-7-2019 at 08:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AMC released the midseason premiere a week early on their website for subscribers only, which will probably be the last time they do this for the fans considering how many copies ended up on the torrent sites. I downloaded one and will only say this until you other lads catch up on Sunday night - IT WAS GOOD. The skinfaces are pretty much the creepiest villains they've ever had and, as was said in the show, "I've never seen one do that before" when one of them just stops and stares at an unsuspecting human is turning out to be pretty g-damn horrifying. Also, Darryl does something in a confrontation on a covered bridge that was quite enjoyable to see.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5926
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

posted on 2-8-2019 at 10:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Indeed, IT WAS FUCKING GOOD Mr. Feets! I was so happy to see Negan meet up with his boys Sam and Dean and the namesake for his beloved barbwire-wrapped bat which, of course, was his wife Mary... wayment, somethin's fucky....

Jesus, that's a hard 12 years JDM put on hisself since the last time he was on Supernatural.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10520
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 2-8-2019 at 11:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Back in 2015 JDM was in a History channel series called Texas Rising, where he played one of the historical figures from the Texas rebellion against Mexico, a guy who was sick, dying, and all skinny from consumption (or some other wasting disease like that). To get the starved look for the part for months he basically only ate one can of tuna a day and drank nothing but water to get that death-camp look. After the shooting was over he got into harder training and diet to put on a bit more bulk but not get as big as he was before. He's kind of a natural mesomorph which means he gets the water-weight look which means his workouts and dieting are very dedicated for him to keep Negan as slim as possible.

His wife was also one of Harvey Weinstein's victims from his decades-long groping/raping/harassment/abuse rampage, which means he'd probably take out Lucille and do a Glenn/Abraham on filthy ol' Harv if he ever got into a locked room with the evil pig.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10520
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 2-18-2019 at 08:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, Alpha-Mom could be the freakiest and most intimidating Big Bad so far.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 2-19-2019 at 03:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My wife and I had the same reaction at the end of the episode... Shoot her, she made the announcement that she was in charge, so shoot her.

It made me realize how many times we both said the same thing at the TV during these episodes.

Does that mean we are a little dark or just practical?

Also, I was surprised that whateverhisnameis was not working with Daryl to get information for little miss skinwalker.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5926
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

posted on 2-27-2019 at 10:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As much as it frustrates me sometimes I'm still probably a lifer with TWD but hoo boy was there ever a top 5 stinker of a scene on the latest episode. And this scene wouldn't have been as bad if not for all the history of the show before it, namely the villains.

Just going with two of the biggest, one megalomaniacal jerkbag kept his people in line though charm, intimidation and the promise and delivery of protection who also kept the still "living" heads of his enemies for company while he attempted to tend to the needs of his zombie daughter and the other an even bigger egomaniacal dickbag that kept his and other settlements in line with threats and/or implementation of horrific torture, up to and including beating people to death with a barbwire-wrapped bat for relatively minor infractions. But you know what they both had in common that helped keep them on top of their respective situations? A shitload of guns and a willingness to use them. Hell, even the good guys had and still have the same method of protection when it suits them.

So why in hecking hell, once their two people were returned safely, didn't they open the fuck up on The Whisperers and be done with them right then and there? Yes yes, I know, you can't have much of a riveting zombie apocalypse teevee show if they did that and next week everyone looked around at each other saying, "Shit, that was easy. We should just shoot any and every threatening asshole that comes our way right off the bat".

After everything they learned about Alpha and her crew, how they consider themselves animals, them leaving a baby to be devoured by walkers because it was crying too loud, them killing Sssuper Gay Jesus, and that they literally walk in "solidarity" with the show's mainest of main villains, how could they justify not taking the shot? After The Governor and Negan they're gonna waste time on a bunch of NuCavemen carrying only a sawed-off shotgun and some fucking knives? Fuck outta here with that.

Just that way they shot it, with Fat Guy Musician Guy Dan Fogelberg and Enid's (remember her?!?!) Boyfriend Guy safely back in camp, HOW DO THEY NOT TAKE THE FUCKING SHOT?! All fucking Daryl The Killer Redneck has to do is tell Alpha's Abused Daughter to kneel down just as she reaches her mother and boom boom, out go the lights. FUCK I hope they at least do the thing with that guy and Alpha from the comics.

Goddamnit, TWD.

Also, the Whisperers seem kinda lame now that the shine of their initial creepiness is gone. They're just a bunch of dirty assholes wandering around in (kinda bad looking) walker masks? And they do nothing all day but wander around with a bunch of stinky dead things that would otherwise eat them if not for their skin suits because some mouthy child-abusing cunt with literally nothing to offer her followers but constant pain and suffering told them to? So they're just a bunch of nihilists then? That must be exhausting.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 2-27-2019 at 01:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My opinion is that with the storyline last season with Negan having Eugene making bullets, was laying the ground work that there was going to be a time when they run out. Now, six years later, I have noticed that there are not a lot of guns around anymore. So maybe the story is that guns/ammo is scarce and they don't want to use it if they don't need to.

I dunno, that was total devils advocate, personally I agree light them fuckers up.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1595
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 2-27-2019 at 05:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
My opinion is that with the storyline last season with Negan having Eugene making bullets, was laying the ground work that there was going to be a time when they run out. Now, six years later, I have noticed that there are not a lot of guns around anymore. So maybe the story is that guns/ammo is scarce and they don't want to use it if they don't need to.

This is something I've noticed since the time jump. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I believe the only person we've seen use a gun has been Judith.

More to the point, presumably, a lot has changed since the time jump in terms of attitudes. As far as we know, there hasn't been any sort of large-scale human threat since the Saviors. The Interwebz tells me that there was a jump of a year and a half after Negan was captured, then another six after Rick's disappearance. So seven and a half years since the protagonists faced any sort of existential threat besides zombies, and even they barely qualify as a threat anymore. Isn't that time enough to shift mindsets to "maybe we don't need to mass-murder everyone who threatens us?" Especially given that the people making the decision were Tara, who's really never exhibited anything even remotely resembling bloodlust, and Daryl, who feels so much remorse over going so kill-happy before the time jump that he's basically been living as a hermit for several years?

Or maybe the protagonists just remember that the last time they took a "fuck it, just kill everyone" approach to a group they barely knew, it was that initial Savior outpost, and it turned out they had wildly underestimated the strength of their opponent, resulting in an enormous amount of suffering over a protracted period of time.

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1935
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 2-28-2019 at 02:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I just caught up on the last couple episodes, and re: “They have the leader right there, why not just kill them and be done with it,” perhaps they remember the beginning of the saviors where Rick asked where Negan was, some random guy identified himself as Negan, they killed him and thought that was finished right then and there. (Retroactive spoiler: it wasn’t!)

These people (the protagonists) aren’t made out to be bloodthirsty killers to begin with, and when Alpha had already summoned a second wave from behind the cornfields, they don’t know if there’s still more out there/around them, how many, or if they have any sort of secret weaponry at the ready. Seems reasonable to take the route of “if we can swap prisoners and end this peacefully, let’s do it and just be on high alert for if they ever come back.”

Would it have been the end? Maybe, maybe not. But we’ll never now because (based on the teaser for this weekend) now Daryl and Henry are out to make sure it isn’t.

Other random note: when they mentioned getting a projector bulb, I cringed. I once worked in the projection booth of a theater, and we had to wear all sorts of protective gear when changing a bulb. I was fearing that they wouldn’t know how sensitive they are, but thankfully Jerry knows his shit.

And is it just me, or (aside from the whole backstory of the whisperer girl episode that kinda dragged), has TWD over the last few episodes been as good as it’s been in quite a while?

[Edited on 2-28-2019 by Cherokee Jack]

I'm Cherokee Jack!

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top