The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Walking Dead Season Nine
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 10-25-2018 at 12:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39
^^^^^And he hasnít learned that humans, by and large, arenít ready yet? He had to see it and virtually everyone was at odds with him in one way or another. Heís going to get killed off in the next few episodes or early next year and his character will probably deserve it.

He has two more episodes.... My gut feeling is not that they kill him off, but I think there is a chance that when everyone revolts against his every life matters mantra, he is going to leave, and exile himself.

But that would probably mean Michonne leaves as well, so that will probably not happen and he will be killed by the newest bad guy this season.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Ė Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12616
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 10-25-2018 at 03:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
oh shit, I thought we were going to see Rick Grimes the entire season. And isn't Maggie leaving the show this season, too?

Well then, I have a couple of ideas where this is going to go.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 10-25-2018 at 03:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes, Maggie is leaving also, and I thought she was also only going to be in 6 episodes, but they haven't been marketing that, so I may be wrong.

And from the teaser at the end of the episode, the next two shows are Rick's last.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Ė Tryon Edwards

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 679
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-25-2018 at 07:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I knew it was his last season, I just wasnít sure if itís the whole season or half. And whether he lives and exiles or dies, he is in the minority of this problem.

Maybe Maggie tries for revenge on the Saviors and Neganís brother or another lieutenant comes in from a distant ďsisterĒ community that Negan never talked about and kills her. Maybe the only other people who knew about it were just killed (his top lieutenants). Rick decides to go for revenge and dies. We all learn the lesson that he was right and by turning back to violence, he loses.

Or he dies believing that peace is the way to go but the world still isnít ready and realize that he was right. His legacy will be that peace has to win as he turns into the New Worldís martyr.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

Mood: criminal record soon

posted on 10-29-2018 at 04:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If this is Rick's Kobayashi Maru scenario then it's a doozy because there's no way he's going to improvise his way out of that mess. Angela Kang is the name of the new showrunner and, judging by her first four episodes, she's the person that probably should have been running the show since the beginning of season two.

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 10-30-2018 at 04:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And now we have confirmed how Shane and Hershel are coming back. I haven't seen anything, but I am assuming Lori and Carl as well?

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 679
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2018 at 10:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
And now we have confirmed how Shane and Hershel are coming back. I haven't seen anything, but I am assuming Lori and Carl as well?

This flew past me.

Also, didnít Hershel just die a few weeks ago irl?

salmonjunkie

Posts 12616
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-31-2018 at 11:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
yes. I believed they filmed his parts before he passed away.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 679
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-1-2018 at 12:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie

In flashbacks, gotcha. Didnít see that anywhere so I guess itís a spoiler? Or did I miss it in the trailer for next week? Iím guessing heíll see them when he dies.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 11-1-2018 at 12:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

In flashbacks, gotcha. Didnít see that anywhere so I guess itís a spoiler? Or did I miss it in the trailer for next week? Iím guessing heíll see them when he dies.

The trailer for next week showed flashbacks with, among other things, Rick and Shane sitting in a squad car.

There were also scenes were Rick was riding the horse, bleeding, away from the horde, but my personal opinion is that is what he thinks happens, but it is all a fantasy as he gets eaten, and his life is flashing before his eyes.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 11-1-2018 at 05:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hypothesis 1: Fantasy and flashbacks
Hypothesis 2: Doesn't die

Don't Mess With Texas

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 11-1-2018 at 05:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
SPOILERTZ!

One of the other possibilities is that the herd closing in on Rick is under the control of this season's new bad guys and they lead the dead away from him at the last minute and take him prisoner/hostage/whatever for their own nefarious ends. One of the baddies was briefly seen in the episode where they were building the bridge, at the attack on the logging crew - if you look closely enough when Rick shoots the rope holding the logs and the zombies get crushed by the rolling wood one of the walkers in a red shirt turns and gets out of the way.

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

salmonjunkie

Posts 12616
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-1-2018 at 08:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie

I think I heard about it on the second episode of Talking Dead this season, when Hardwick gave a short memorial to the actor and if I recall, he mentions that he filmed his parts.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

Mood: Donkey Show

posted on 11-5-2018 at 10:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
TWD MAKE JANNY MAD!!!!!

SPOILERT!:

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

salmonjunkie

Posts 12616
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-5-2018 at 06:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Re: last nightís episode:
While it was nice to see Shane, Hershell (RIP, Scott Wilson!), and Sasha, it was a bit heavy handed. Otherwise, I enjoyed it. My girlfriend didnít care for the episode, and especially hated the Judith thing at the end. Not necessarily Judith herself, but how the ham-fisted corny way they had her presented. I was good with the corniness.

HE DIDNíT DIE?!?!?

Oh, theyíre making movies.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-expansion-plans-revealed-andrew-lincoln-movies-new-series-come-1157921

Iím ok with this, I suppose. I like me some Rick Grimes. And in the end if the movies are good, then thatís fine too. And I guess since Andy Lincolnís gotta be go be a dad more often, this is fine. Stupid children and people being responsible adults always gets in the way of my uncompromising entertainment.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 11-5-2018 at 10:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So curious; and yes there is always a chance for another golden age for the show now that they'll have to forge ahead with a fairly new show now that Rick's gone... What's the likely jump the shark moment... Glenn? Carl? Rick?

Glenn would be my pick as it was almost to visceral... While it was in some ways an important moment it also felt like the last in the line of what new horror can we pile on these folks. You almost can't come back from that death... it was almost too big and should have been reserved for a kind of final season type death where the emotion of it can carry you into your big finale.

Carl was a bad death in that it was just out of left field and felt like the producers saying "see we can still kill people you like for no other reason than we can"...

Rick's leaving, and I know he's going to do movies, feels like getting out while the getting's still good... Ratings are way down last I saw, the fan's seem to be turning on the show, so he can kind of wander off into the sunset and ride out this rough patch.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

posted on 11-6-2018 at 12:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
So curious; and yes there is always a chance for another golden age for the show now that they'll have to forge ahead with a fairly new show now that Rick's gone... What's the likely jump the shark moment... Glenn? Carl? Rick?

Glenn would be my pick as it was almost to visceral... While it was in some ways an important moment it also felt like the last in the line of what new horror can we pile on these folks. You almost can't come back from that death... it was almost too big and should have been reserved for a kind of final season type death where the emotion of it can carry you into your big finale.

Carl was a bad death in that it was just out of left field and felt like the producers saying "see we can still kill people you like for no other reason than we can"...

Rick's leaving, and I know he's going to do movies, feels like getting out while the getting's still good... Ratings are way down last I saw, the fan's seem to be turning on the show, so he can kind of wander off into the sunset and ride out this rough patch.

I'd say for me it was definitely Glenn's death. I really liked his character, and while I knew he got offed in the comics, I thought they pulled a translated to tv switcheroo on who gets got when Abraham was the first to go. While that sucked too because I liked Cudlitz, he was a trained soldier that went out telling Negan to suck his nuts instead of begging. Then, right when I felt like the awful tension that TWD did a great job building was about to subside, Daryl's punch happened. What happened immediately after traumatized me in a way that didn't figure on getting from a silly teevee show about a zombie apocalypse. Of course it didn't help that I saw a guys head get busted open like that for real once (car accident), so that likely helped put me off being so into the show as well.

After the initial shock of that episode, it just didn't sit well with me watching a show that, by it's nature, would be an endlessly revolving door or cruelty and hopelessness played out season after season. Sure, there was wicked shit that happened before all that. But Glenn was there from the beginning and to see all the character's hopefulness go out of his eyes, literally because they were knocked out of his skull, is the reason I kinda watch this show at arms length from being emotionally invested in too much anymore. It's okay entertainment and I'll probably watch it out of force of habit, but otherwise it doesn't really scratch that itch for me anymore. The thrill is gone, baby.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12616
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-6-2018 at 02:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I really hated how they teased Glennís death earlier that season with him being trapped under the dumpster. They kept that info from us for weeks, too. That was fucking cheap as shit.
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 11-6-2018 at 04:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I forgot all about that pre-death Glenn "death" bit... Like was that supposed to be a Glenn's safe, but not really signal or something... Cause yeah; I mean people mourned him only for them to kill him off for reals shortly thereafter.

I think this is why I stopped watching back around seasons 3... The whole Governor thing was cool, and as an arc going from seasons 1-3 there was a nice build in there... But I think after you kind of have a big bad like that the show is sacrificing telling good stories for a piling on of dark shit... To be fair like I said I haven't watched but in some ways isn't it proof that if you don't watch all you ever hear about is they killed so and so, then they killed so and so... ect. The show felt like it became about enduring a litany of horrors as opposed to progressing through a story.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 11-6-2018 at 01:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Since we are now past the 24 hour no spoiler window....

My wife and I really enjoyed this week's episode. First, let me continue to sing the praises of Jeffery Dean Morgan. Damn, the way he went from arrogant Negan in the shadows, to sniveling Negan in the light, and finally the look on his face when he was back in the cell left us wondering which Negan was the act.

Second, I liked the flashbacks as it seemed that Shane, Hershel, and Sasha represented different parts of Rick's personality and showing how he needed to come to grips with all of them to be the best Rick he could be. Plus the cut scene where Shane yells at Rick to wake up, just as the zombie was in Rick's face was really well done.

Third, I understand that the publicity around Lincoln leaving made it difficult to build up any suspense for Rick's death/end but I think the twist with Anne/Jadis and the mystery helicopter people was a good way of having that twist at the end, and more enjoyable than not publicizing Lincoln leaving and just having the shock of him blowing himself up.

Fourth, One complaint is why, in Rick's visions, were those different voices asking about his wound?

Quentil
Showstopper

Posts 814
Registered 5-13-2003
Location Saratoga Springs, NY

Mood:

posted on 11-12-2018 at 08:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okay. I stopped watching this show at some point last season. And I haven't liked it for a few seasons mostly before that. I eventually watched whatever episodes that I missed from before, then watched everything from this latest season/half-season/wtfever and am now all about the show again.

Enough even to post on a dead wrestling site whose main claim to fame for me personally was something something CRZ 20 years ago.

I'm lonely. Please help. And holy fuck do I love Walking Dead again.

Rick being taken off the show is actually the best thing that could ever have happened. And the massive time jump(s) too. It's a passing of the torch. And it might actually add years of goodness to the show if done right.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 679
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-12-2018 at 11:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That chest tattoo is gross.
janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

posted on 11-12-2018 at 09:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
That chest tattoo is gross.

^Accurate. Though she does look more appropriately messy for a post-apocalyptic hellscape than the rest of the regulars except for Daryl. And I know they having running water and all but I'd have to presume that their toiletry supplies are dwindling to the point that they can't all look so fresh faced most of the time like they do. They have time for Walker makeup f/x, so why not dirty the rest of the cast up a bit? And all the people with long hair and/or dreads? Lice and mites, yo. Cut that shit off! I dig Carol's frazzled old lady wig though. Speaking of which, guess who's back, back again, Killer Carol's back, to burn your friends...

Also, in YOOur Retarded TWD Tactical Mistake Moment of the Week (even though they didn't know who was amongst that Walker herd so it's accidentally good they didn't stay), why didn't Eugene and Rosita consider staying on the water towers to let the herd pass or have Rosita take the horses, lead them away, and then circle back for Eugene? Just a mention of that idea and then a plausible excuse to peace the fuck out would have been nice, but again TWD = WWE when it comes to illogical storytelling inconsistencies.

Actually really liked the episode and hope the new Post-Rick Era infuses it with a bit more energy and purpose. It's a hell of a hook baked into the cake now, but I already am anticipating the wave of feels when Rick is inevitably reunited with Michonne, Judith, and Rick, Jr.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 11-27-2018 at 12:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pretty sure (once again) that they should have hired Angela Kang as showrunner about eight years ago because she's the first one since Frank Darabont who seems to understand that the genuine horror of zombie-world should always be much more important than basic survival tropes or the soap-opera grade of relationships. AMC being cheap in the old days didn't help Mazzara and Gimple but that's not much of an excuse to the ambulatory dead being pushed back far too often as a threat, and also turned too often into some kind of a joke, in favour of the relationship-y things.

RIP anyway to The Parkour Kid, but at least it went down in a fear-drenched scene that was genuinely harrowing as opposed to another pseudo-soliloquy of excessive words. Haven't seen a character death that gripping since Rick killed Shane.

[Edited on 11/26/2018 by Paddlefoot]

- David-8

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

posted on 11-27-2018 at 08:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll eat some of my own ass for this, but it sure does look like they've turned it around a bit at this season's midway point. It took a while for the Rick situation to sink in, but all in all I'm happy he's still alive and kicking somewhere. And so far this flash forward has done a great job of adding some mystery and intrigue back to the proceedings. Sure, it could all go tits up once we get some answers, though for now I'm delightfully curious again for the first time in a few seasons. Like why is everyone pissed at Michonne when all the core group and pretty much everyone else is alive, and what those large X scars are on her and Daryl's left lower backs near the kidney regions?

Also of note:

- I musta missed the part where the cell got unlocked and HE got out. How? Lil' help...

- Bummer to see Leapin' Manny Swallow go. I got swerved by thinking he'd be a part of a greater power struggle at Hilltop, but nope. It sets up NuBigBad's evil gravitas, so I guess that's just the way it goes.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top