The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Walking Dead Season Nine
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: Radiant Abyss

posted on 9-19-2018 at 10:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Walking Dead Season Nine

New season starts up in a couple of weeks. And unfortunately it's the last one with Andy Lincoln as Rick Grimes.

Here's the extended trailer from ComicCon a couple of months back:

But this bit of news should mightily vex the haters. Suck it, losers!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-amcs-the-walking-dead-universe-will-expand-with-1829176174

quote:
It looks like The Walking Dead is going to be alive and kicking for many years to come. A new report claims that AMC is working on plans to expand the zombie thriller franchise with new TV movies that could turn into shows, with at least one of them taking place outside the United States.

During an investor conference earlier this week (as shared on Twitter), AMC’s chief executive officer Josh Sapan said the network had plans to continue The Walking Dead franchise “over the next decade-plus,” though he didn’t offer any specifics. Some took this to mean the network wanted to keep the flagship series, which is entering its ninth season this fall, for at least another 10 years.

Currently, AMC’s The Walking Dead universe contains the mainstage show, its post-episode recap series The Talking Dead, and prequel spinoff Fear the Walking Dead, which is currently wrapping up its fourth season. But AMC doesn’t look to be stopping there. According to the report, AMC wants to make a bunch of movies for either a network or streaming service that have the potential to become TV shows of their own, “setting at least one series in another country” since The Walking Dead is popular overseas. Producer Scott Gimple is reportedly overseeing development on these new storylines, but it’s not clear when or if any of them will move forward. io9 has reached out to AMC for comment and will update should we hear back.

Walking Dead - Boganville
Walking Dead In Soviet Canuckistan, Eh.
Walking Dead - Mar A Lago
Walking Dead - Chavs & Scousers
Walking Dead Vs Philadelphia
Walking Dead & The SJW Gender Studies Department
Walking Dead At The MAGA Rally
Walking Dead Meets Florida Man

it could be, like, literally endless, dawg

FOIT! FOIT! FOIT! FOOKIN' CHERLETTE! - Florida Jan-Man

I show the world a face not made by God - Frank Castle

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7092
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 10-2-2018 at 10:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So on a scale of 1-10, how devoted to talking about stuff (and things) is this first epiosde going to be devoted to? Keep in mind 1 is "95% of the episode", and 2-9 are 95.x%-100%, and 10 is additional scenes not included in the first episode aired on Talking Dead while Chris Hardwick makes the people who didn't quit Talking Dead upon the announcement of his return super-uncomfortable.

Also, ten years is way too much. Especially with Rick AND Maggie being done before the season ends, and Darryl just being generally incompetent with his decision making yet getting free passes for all of it (seriously, he doesn't punch Negan, Glenn's still alive and he doesn't decide to go rogue, everyone who died after the Saviors escaped the siege are still alive, no matter how much the gang wanted to pin the latter on Eugene). Right now, there's only really two compelling characters that could be left by season's end: Carroll and Negan. Either of those two are far more interesting leads than Darryl pulling an Andy Bernard in the last two seasons of the Office by being Michael Scott-lite. And even then, two seasons MAX. Even with great story telling, zombies will get old. It's why you only see one mainstream zombie film every two or so years.

They need to get an end-game in sight: the disease that causes people to become walkers when they die starts to killing the living so they have to focus on a cure for that maybe. Or maybe the disease just dies out and the walkers start dropping. Or, hell, maybe they just lose. Something has to happen.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7092
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 10-10-2018 at 06:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I completely forgot this started this week (and judging from how quite it is here, so did everyone else). After watching this, wow, that was about as bored to tears as I could be in a zombie-filled environment.

We're well past our Spoiler Warning timeframe, but here's one anyways since many probably haven't watched yet

First, a huge gripe: the entire reason that Expendable Kid #1 died was because "OMG ZOMBIES~! We better hurry up and get the wagon out of the mud and run!" Michonne and Darryl do their thing (secondary gripe: the hell is Darryl wasting a motion slitting a zombie's throat before stabbing them in the head?), but apparently they run out of time and have to leave a horse behind. So, naturally being a red-shirt, the kid (who may have been named Kid? Or Kit? Maybe both?) runs back to save the horse and gets combo zombie bit/horse kicked. Which brings the group back to run to be in his general area (while the one doctor left alive in the world shows zero signs of getting how to treat a zombie bite after X amount of years have passed by trying to "wrap it up" instead of "cutting it off"). And while three of them fail to save the kid, the rest easily wipe out the remaining zombies. Like, within a minute all the zombies that they were running from, of which one bit and killed the kid they went to rescue, were dead. Why do you not just do that first??

And then the rest of the episode seemed to deal with two episodes for way longer than it needed to. Like, this could have been a regular length episode and nothing important would have been lost. Sanctuary sucks. It's a factory they're trying, against the rules of nature, to turn into a farming community, when they should be focusing on being an industrial zone. Meanwhile Hilltop is sick of giving them crops and not getting anything in return from them, and also being expected to provide them labor for their project load. It's been a year between seasons, and how is this NOW becoming an issue?? You zone Sanctuary as the industrial powerhouse, you make Hilltop the agricultural center, and you have the two trade resources. And Alexandria can, I dunno, exist to be Rick's house and Negan's prison and that's about it.

I really hope they don't give any of these internal issues more than another episode of focus. Realistically, if they've been this bad at decision making for a year and are only now getting to the point where they're thinking of things like "charters" and "why can't we grow crops in soil that has been exposed to a lot of manufacturing chemicals" and the one doctor carries around a steady amount of gauze, and nothing else, for zombie bites, then by mid season we should get to a point where they all just start dying of things like dysentery, tetanus, and rabies. Because this is just dumb.

I'd be tempted to just binge watch the rest of the season in December and April if it weren't for the fact nothing else is on until Game of Thrones starts back up next year.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12303
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 10-10-2018 at 08:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Geoffery's death was very satisfying, and I'm glad they took care of it with this episode rather than draw out the story leading up to it a few more episodes.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
CVD39
Fella

Posts 472
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-15-2018 at 09:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why keep Negan alive?
salmonjunkie

Posts 12303
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-15-2018 at 04:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's part of Rick's vision of what he wants for this new world.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
CVD39
Fella

Posts 472
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-15-2018 at 07:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
It's part of Rick's vision of what he wants for this new world.

I get that, but why? He said Negan’s never getting out....so why wait for people to bust him out?

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-15-2018 at 07:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Carl convinced him to not be a reactionary who solves all problems with killing and he's trying to live up to that, and to show the others how to be civilized again.

CVD39
Fella

Posts 472
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-16-2018 at 05:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Carl convinced him to not be a reactionary who solves all problems with killing and he's trying to live up to that, and to show the others how to be civilized again.

For others? Sure. For Negen? And he’s never getting out so isn’t that just as bad? I remember the promise to Carl but it just seems really dumb to leave a guy of his stature alive and to make a big deal about wanting to keep him alive.

Also, fuck Carl.

[Edited on 10-16-2018 by CVD39]

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3833
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 10-16-2018 at 12:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39
Why keep Negan alive?

because this is what they decided to follow from the comic

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-16-2018 at 07:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It also opens the door for JDM to stay with the show after Andy Lincoln leaves, either as an escaped enemy Negan or as a new leader after Rick dies/disappears.

CVD39
Fella

Posts 472
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-16-2018 at 10:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
It also opens the door for JDM to stay with the show after Andy Lincoln leaves, either as an escaped enemy Negan or as a new leader after Rick dies/disappears.

Yeah, I get why they would keep him alive from the show standpoint. Negen is a great villain and it’ll lesson the Rick departure. And Carl wanted a better, less “Let’s just kill that bad guy” future. But, from Rick’s perspective, you can’t allow him to live when he’s not willing to rehabilitate and Rick will never let him out anyway. Everyone else wants him dead from the good guys standpoint and the bad Saviors are just biding their time until they can get him back.

This just seems like one of those idiot decisions in these shows that won’t lead to anything good and innocent people will suffer and for what? To prove to themselves that they can “get back to a normal, more civilized way”?

salmonjunkie

Posts 12303
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-17-2018 at 05:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, they kept him alive in the comic, and it ended up being a pretty interesting story arc with Negan and Rick.

And it falls in line with what Rick sees for the future. Why doesn't Rick kill Negan? Because he doesn't want to. He doesn't think anyone will bust him out. The future, the society that he wants allows for someone to be in prison for the rest of their life.

Plus, he wants Negan to know that Rick's way was the right way, and that the new society is a good society. And Negan doesn't get to be a part of that, except just knowing it's there.

CVD39
Fella

Posts 472
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-17-2018 at 08:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
Well, they kept him alive in the comic, and it ended up being a pretty interesting story arc with Negan and Rick.

But how would Rick care or know about it at the time?

quote:
And it falls in line with what Rick sees for the future. Why doesn't Rick kill Negan? Because he doesn't want to. He doesn't think anyone will bust him out.

But why take the chance? Those Saviors were a huge gang and they still have rumblings of We Are Negan. Rick doesn’t think anyone will try to bust him out? Or what if some other bad dudes show up and inadvertently cause him to be released? What if (and this might happen, I guess), Rick’s people overthrow him because Rick’s allowing him to live? Maggie’s hot about it, so is Daryl. Why take all of these chances just because Rick thinks they’re ready to move on? Lock up others who don’t start cult uprisings.

quote:
The future, the society that he wants allows for someone to be in prison for the rest of their life.

But that’s not the point of prison. He’s not trying to rehabilitate him, he’s just punishing him. There’s a lot of actions done in this show and Fear the Walking Dead that we just roll our eyes at and complain that these actions will come back to bite them in the ass. We complain that the actions these people take are senseless and ludicrous. There might be no bigger senseless act then to let Negen live. And I get that Rick wants to move on and stop living in the “Immediately kill your enemies like barbarians” age, but again, NOW’S NOT THE TIME. NEGAN’S NOT THE GUY.

quote:
Plus, he wants Negan to know that Rick's way was the right way, and that the new society is a good society. And Negan doesn't get to be a part of that, except just knowing it's there.

I can actually get behind this. It’s just the risk of him getting out seems to supersede an “I told you so, dummy!”

[Edited on 10-17-2018 by CVD39]

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3833
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 10-17-2018 at 12:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why is Rick keeping Negan alive?

It was basically his son's dying wish. Now, we may know that it is a bad idea, but I can understand the emotions behind that decision.

We finally got around to watching the episode last week and I have an issue with the writers. When Negan questioned Rick on who are you making a better future for, since Carl is dead. Um, did everyone forget about Judith aka Lil' asskicker? Yes Carl is dead, but Carl wanted that better world, Rick lost his son and his wife, but he has a daughter and a new love. Plus there is Baby Hershel and all the other non-named children across the five (?) settlements.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-17-2018 at 02:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That's classic Negan mind-games though. Use a half-truth observation to irritate and enrage an enemy into doing something stupid. Plus, as any prisoner would probably tell you, the worst thing about being locked up is the boredom and depression that comes from it. Negan's probably just putting his evil smiley face on that kind of taunt to Rick to unlock the cell and try to beat him up or even goad Rick into killing him. Pretty Machiavellian on Negan's part, to use Rick's own emotions against him in an attempt to reverse their respective superior/inferior positions.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12303
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-17-2018 at 03:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39

I can actually get behind this. It’s just the risk of him getting out seems to supersede an “I told you so, dummy!”

I actually agree with a lot of your responses to my answers, but, honestly, any answer to the initial question of "Why keep Negan alive?" could be rebutted. Is it the best idea? Maybe. Is it the safest idea? Certainly not. It may not even be the most ideal idea. But for better or for worse, the reasons that Rick have do come from somewhere logically and emotionally. Blame Carl.

If anything, it does show the divide in the how Maggie and Rick dole out punishment.

quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
We finally got around to watching the episode last week and I have an issue with the writers. When Negan questioned Rick on who are you making a better future for, since Carl is dead. Um, did everyone forget about Judith aka Lil' asskicker?

This totally stood out to me as well.

quote:
That's classic Negan mind-games though. Use a half-truth observation to irritate and enrage an enemy into doing something stupid. Plus, as any prisoner would probably tell you, the worst thing about being locked up is the boredom and depression that comes from it. Negan's probably just putting his evil smiley face on that kind of taunt to Rick to unlock the cell and try to beat him up or even goad Rick into killing him. Pretty Machiavellian on Negan's part, to use Rick's own emotions against him in an attempt to reverse their respective superior/inferior positions.

I think Rick is totally aware of Negan's mind-games, and I think relishes in his belief that Neagn's mind games don't work on him anymore, and lets Negan talk to continue to beat him at this game. Of course, we all know Rick has been prone to overconfidence in the past...

[Edited on 10-17-2018 by salmonjunkie]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-17-2018 at 04:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Maybe. Negan was smart enough to push the buttons about Carl's death and Rick's cool evaporated instantly. Rick's keeping it together but the murder-machine he was turning into, just like with Morgan, isn't too far beneath the surface.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-22-2018 at 09:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fantastic episode tonight. It laid the path for a ton of upcoming distress and trauma. Dark Maggie is the hottest Maggie. There probably was a solution to prevent this, when Negan was captured and not just to hold him responsible but to address the ghosts of all the atrocities that Simon was committing. I doubt though that in this ongoing and endless life-or-death situation anyone would be too cognizant of pre-apocalypse history to remember something like the Nuremburg trials.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top