The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Poll: Final 4: The Time to Play The Game Is Now
The Time Is Now 16 (0%) -»
The Game 23 (0%) -»
Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Final 4: The Time to Play The Game Is Now
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11678
Registered 12-16-2008
Member Is Online

Mood: Tight

posted on 9-14-2018 at 03:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Final 4: The Time to Play The Game Is Now

John Cena: "The Time Is Now" by John Cena and Tha Trademarc

Triple H: "The Game" by Motorhead

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8969
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 9-14-2018 at 04:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I voted for Cena.

I like the Motorhead song a lot better.

There's just something to be said for an entrance that...

...involves the person it is for in the actual song/entrance
...evokes a crowd sing-along = "John Cena Sucks" which will forever be a part of the entrance

I won't be disappointed or surprised to see HHH advance to the finals. There are just some intangibles with the Cena one that put it ahead in my book.

Don't Mess With Texas

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4104
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 9-14-2018 at 05:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Voting for Motorhead, the entrance in 2002 for HHH's return is cooler and more meorable than any Cena entrance.
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7676
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 9-15-2018 at 04:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
I voted for Cena.

I like the Motorhead song a lot better.

There's just something to be said for an entrance that...

...involves the person it is for in the actual song/entrance
...evokes a crowd sing-along = "John Cena Sucks" which will forever be a part of the entrance

I won't be disappointed or surprised to see HHH advance to the finals. There are just some intangibles with the Cena one that put it ahead in my book.

Fuck, you swayed me to vote for Cena here. Because in a vacuum, I like Triple H's theme better. But there really is something intangible about Cena's theme and it is essentially the sound of the past decade (or more) of WWE.

quote:
Originally posted by First 9
Voting for Motorhead, the entrance in 2002 for HHH's return is cooler and more meorable than any Cena entrance.

I dunno, Cena's surprise return at the 2008 Royal Rumble was pretty memorable and made me kind of mark out during a time that I wasn't even a Cena fan (just because it was such a well-kept secret).

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3278
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 9-15-2018 at 05:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Even though Lemmy is pretty awesome, I have never really "liked" the Time To Play The Game because the lyrics are pretty much "let's say a bunch of barely-connected-things that rhyme".

Aaaand JOHN CENA SUUUUUUUCKS is awesome, but even before people started doing that I really really enjoyed the Trumpet Sample Part of that song.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4708
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 9-15-2018 at 10:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's a tough call for me, but I've said it before: when in doubt, vote for the one sung by the wrestler.

I also agree with Williamssl about the sing-along aspect of the song putting it over the top.

I love "The Game." It is a great piece of music and there's barely a track you'd want as your entrance theme instead of this one. That said, it isn't even Motorhead's best entrance theme. I'd give that title to "Line in the Sand." Had that track made it here instead, I'd have voted for it. Whereas it isn't, I'm throwing my support behind John Cena, and I'm most likely picking him to win it all.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4563
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-15-2018 at 06:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was leaning towards Cena's and I think Williamsl kinda verbalized it about as well, or better than I could as to why it should advance.
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2496
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 9-15-2018 at 07:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll stick up for The Game.

Besides being a better song, it's got its own synchronized entrance that's iconic to HHH as a character, down to the spotlight and the water spitting.

Cena sort of got away from the rapper aspect of his character and a newer fan might even be surprised to find out he was rapping his own entrance. HHH's connection to Motorhead is well-known and much-discussed.

HHH getting The Game marked a big turning point in his career and started him on a trajectory to greatness. Cena switching to "My Time Is Now" marked the end of his more entertaining Thuganomics phase and a switch into family friendly Fruity Pebbles Cena.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10852
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

Mood: safety danse

posted on 9-15-2018 at 07:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Plus if you vote against The Game you're voting against Lemmy returning from the dead the way he did in Motorhead's Killed By Death video* . What are you guys anyway, a bunch of stunnads who don't want Lemmy to return from the dead? Fuck you if you are!

* the cops in that video couldn't catch a fucking cold

[Edited on 9/15/2018 by Paddlefoot]

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3088
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 9-15-2018 at 08:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I’m not even sure My Time is Now is Cena’s best theme, much less a Final Four candidate for best ever. The “John Cena sucks” chants are cool, but really? It shouldn’t even be this far, much less beating The Game.
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2491
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 9-18-2018 at 02:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
LOL@ You can chant "John Cena suuuucks" during his entrance theme. Yeah, that's HUGE!!

Triple H....Synchronized entrance, ruthless sound....the entire song embodies him.

As someone else touched on, as well: It'd mean a whole lot more if Cena still incorporated rapping into his gimmick. That sort of died after "My Time Is Now" dropped as his entrance theme.

All in all, it's a great entrance theme, but it doesn't really hold up with Cena anymore. It's just his forever theme.... it's iconic, but there are too many intangibles to make it go over something that perfectly embodies a wrestler like HHH to this day.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top