The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: True Detective Season Three
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

Mood: criminal record soon

posted on 8-27-2018 at 09:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
True Detective Season Three

Starts January 2019, teaser trailer released today. Yass!

Looks like they're returning to what made the first season so breakout awesome with the Southern Gothic motif, this time set in northern Arkansas - if it's centered again around missing kids then that might be a sign that the story ties in with the evil Tuttle family cult that McConaughey and Harrelson busted in the opening series. And they've got some serious star-power again with Oscar winner Mahershala Ali, Stephen Dorff, and Scoot McNairy leading the cast.

Gonna be good to see something interesting on HBO for the first time in a long time because apparently the MF'ers aren't going to have the last season of GOT ready to go until next July. Son of a bitch!

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12616
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 8-27-2018 at 09:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I loved season 1. I hated season 2. Season 2 doesn't exist in my timeline.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 679
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-27-2018 at 10:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Season 2 started off pretty bad, then clicked around episode 6, I think, and it was really great....Until the ending shit the bed and devalued the whole season to garbage. Iíve been planning on rewatching Season 1 and forgetting Season 2 existed.
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 679
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 2-5-2019 at 08:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Havenít checked this sub in awhile and surprised no one is talking about this new season. Not a big fan of jumping from present day to 40 years ago then to 30 years ago and then skipping around everywhere but itís been great so far. Anyone watching?
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10512
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

Mood: criminal record soon

posted on 2-7-2019 at 02:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's been terrific. Nick Pizzolatto probably got a very stern talking too about not making things too complicated or wacky, the was Season Two was, and is delivering a very good tale. And the three time periods (1980, 1990, and present day) that it's winding through seems is also working very well and hasn't made it difficult to follow at all. Very well grounded in reality and hasn't taken off on any weird tangents or "turns just for the sake of a turn". Well acted all the way through, and both Ali & Dorff should definitely be in the running for best actor at the next Emmy's from what they've put together for this show. The only "ghosts" so far are the ghosts of bad marriages, the post-Vietnam malaise, broken families, and the dying of rural towns as traditional industry goes under. There's racism, but thankfully it's not the dominant feature; Ali's character does get some of the usual Southern nonsense but he's too well-respected as a cop to have it drag him down even if it angers him - whatever downfall he faces seems like it's coming more from pissing off the wrong superiors than because of race.

My verdict is that so far it's not just much better than Season Two but easily on a par with Season One - the gun battle between the rednecks/cops and the Vietnam vet who finally flipped out was terrific. Disappointed that there's only five eps left and then probably another three years until/if until a Season Four happens.

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 679
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2019 at 09:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Youíre about to be pissed, Paddle. Itís only 3 more episodes.

And yeah, differentiating between the time lines isnít an issue, just think itís kind of a cop out in explaining things. Kinda like how we donít know if Douriff makes it to present day until after the Native American veterans house battle.

But itís a minor gripe. Fantastic so far.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 679
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 2-28-2019 at 07:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Meh. I didnít hate it but it was more character study when it was all said and done and the actual crime was just blahblahed without any real surprise.

Spoiler: Iím wondering if he actually remembered what he was doing in Greenland or not. Just better to let things fade or did he really just plain forget?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top