The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PPV DISCUSSION: SummerSlam is IcOOnic Thread of UnOOficialness
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7931
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-20-2018 at 02:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
So far, the only real swing-and-miss tonight was Braun/Owens, for my tastes. But with Owens, he's an Evil Genius, and just because he was physically dominated tonight doesn't mean he doesn't have a brainy "out" that shows up starting tomorrow.

I mean, we still have an outside shot at WWEU Champ Braun, with no obligation to a departed-to-UFC Brock, and KO is the guy who makes the most sense as #1 Contender if he has something up his sleeve.....

Roman Who?

Owens in title matches are my jam...but I'll toss out another suggestion if Braun gets the belt...can the Monster beat a Demon?

Nobledictator1278
Fella

Posts 476
Registered 4-9-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2018 at 02:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If Braun gets the belt you better get use to 3 months of Braun vs Reigns
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7931
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 8-20-2018 at 02:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'd be ok with that honestly. Braun and Roman could have some good matches.
Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

Mood: Plotting

posted on 8-20-2018 at 02:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Alexa Bliss vs. Majin Buu??

the fuck?

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4430
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-20-2018 at 02:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
So far, the only real swing-and-miss tonight was Braun/Owens, for my tastes. But with Owens, he's an Evil Genius, and just because he was physically dominated tonight doesn't mean he doesn't have a brainy "out" that shows up starting tomorrow.

I mean, we still have an outside shot at WWEU Champ Braun, with no obligation to a departed-to-UFC Brock, and KO is the guy who makes the most sense as #1 Contender if he has something up his sleeve.....

Roman Who?

Owens in title matches are my jam...but I'll toss out another suggestion if Braun gets the belt...can the Monster beat a Demon?

Would also pay to see. Many dollars.

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot Alexa's arm could do that. Sweet fancy Moses, perfect use of it.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by OORick]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
royberto
I Do Not Know What Words Mean

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 8-20-2018 at 02:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
YES. They finally got it right.

And they actually had an effective swerve with the Bella's. Huh.

Ronda's win is a great way to end the show.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by royberto]

Rising above the trolls

G-Spot
"El Diablo"

Posts 751
Registered 8-31-2008
Location J-Town Pa.

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2018 at 02:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Too bad they gave away Alexa's double-jointedness. Can you imagine the visual of Bliss doing the "broken arm" thing from Rousey's arm-bar if nobody know about it beforehand?!?

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by G-Spot]

"G-Spot rocks the g-spot!!!
**Ghandi (Clone High)**

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10983
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 8-20-2018 at 02:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 8-20-2018 at 02:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thank you, Braun, for making this match interesting.

Don't Mess With Texas

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 8-20-2018 at 03:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This better fucking end with a different new champion

Edit. Shit.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

royberto
I Do Not Know What Words Mean

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 8-20-2018 at 03:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WWE managed to pull their ass out of the fire with the booking on that one. They got the Roman win they wanted, people actually popping for the finish, and actually made Braun look a little weak while he keeps his title shot to cash in on Roman later. Overbooked as all hell, but they got themselves a finish that succeeded.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by royberto]

Rising above the trolls

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7931
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 8-20-2018 at 03:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
RAW has a world champ that will be on the show every week. Roman vs Braun, Roman vs Owens, Roman vs Drew or Dolph...lots of acceptable matches you can do.

Really, there were 3 squashes on the show, and the show was super fun. That's an easy win.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7763
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2018 at 03:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As a match, the main event was barely a thing, but as a bit of storytelling/booking, I dug it. And I really liked Braun calling his shot and waiting outside the ring to face the winner (as we've never seen that before), so I'm a little bummed they didn't follow through with it.

Either way, it's going to be odd having the Universal title actually be a thing on RAW again.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2020
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2018 at 03:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How long and loud do you think the “bullshit” chants were when the crowd realizes Braun wasn’t coming back to the ring?

I'm Cherokee Jack!

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1097
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 8-20-2018 at 03:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Laughed my ass off when I realized the WWE ring announcers had actually stopped saying the "match is scheduled for one fall" thing for the sake of stopping the fans' "ONE FALL!" followup.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4179
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-20-2018 at 03:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I laughed at the motherfuckers actually finding a way to get the crowd to pop for Roman's win.
shashwat mishra
Showstopper

Posts 855
Registered 9-27-2002
Location Bhubaneswar, India

Mood: Saving Money

posted on 8-20-2018 at 04:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just happy that Brock doesn't have the belt anymore. He should never have it again. Reigns has worked hard and deserved this. I am guessing Braun and Reigns goes on till December.

I got 1 out of the 3 results I really cared about and that is a huge improvement on the usual 0.

Stuck in the 1980s.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2018 at 04:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You know, that was easily the most enjoyable PPV I've watched (non-NXT) since....God knows when. Easily before WrestleMania. Normally it's "watch first match or two, get bored, flip to alternate entertainment." But they actually kept my attention this evening.

I think a big part of it is the "Summerslam" distinction but they also paced the show beautifully and delivered everywhere they needed to (even with the bonus of Demon Balor squashing Corbin).

And the show ended at 11:04!!!! Me thinks someone certainly took notice of the "Hey, people have to work Monday morning and have to travel from the arena so maybe let's not have our main event go on at 11:10" mindset.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1805
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 8-20-2018 at 04:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Solid PPV. Aside from the tag team title match and the Braun/Owens crap, the booking was pretty good.

A bit of interest was added to the ME with the Strowman factor. It was almost like the WWE was testing the waters to see how the live crowd would react to his presence. It's obvious that they see him as one of the best alternatives for holding the universal title.

it was time for Lesnar to give up the strap. The audience has been very apathetic towards him for a while now. Reigns should only be a stopgap in my opinion. It doesn't matter how they package him in the context of a storyline, they crowd will never be completely on his side.

That being said, I'm curious to see who they handle him between now and the Royal Rumble.

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2018 at 04:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
How long and loud do you think the “bullshit” chants were when the crowd realizes Braun wasn’t coming back to the ring?

I'm guessing they probably did the whole "dark" send the live crowd home happy bit with Braun popping up after the cameras stopped rolling and he beat the piss out of Roman...?

quote:
Originally posted by First 9
I laughed at the motherfuckers actually finding a way to get the crowd to pop for Roman's win.

It was well done in the sense of HA! we got the crowd to cheer for a few minutes because we distracted them with a shiny bauble, but I think that's a bit of a piss off tease as well.

I'm a little surprised the WWE sprung for that big Roman logo and dog given that it made what... a 3 second appearance? I mean year, they can get years out of it probably, but still seemed random.

I did not like that final match... If you were going to finally have Roman go over Brock I think you should have bit the bullet and kept it solo and a hard fought win for Reigns in the end... Not so much with the capitalizing on a distracted Brock. By the same token like I said having Strowman come out there was a nice bit of trickery on the part of the WWE, but IMO it robbed us a bit of a promised showdown... Yeah we'll get it later but even if you set aside the Roman hate I think Strowman taking the bumps then saying screw it I'm cashing in now and then making it a triple threat would have been far more satisfying... It also would have quasi-justified the brief Owens match... which I'm sure was part of their strategy that they tricked us into thinking hey Braun barely fought earlier so of course he'll be fighting again later.

Overall a good PPV... what they did well they did really well, and there were some really great matches on here. What they missed on in my opinion wasn't a colossal miss, just more I would have done things differently. They got their headlines with Rousey, and 3 new world champs in one night has to be a record....

Let's call it a very solid B+ for the night... Maybe even an A-.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3293
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 8-20-2018 at 06:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
It was more fun that one would assume, kind of like a block war series in a Judge Dredd comic.
.... I understood that reference. gOOlly.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2018 at 06:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nope... apparently no "dark" finish for the live crowd... reports have it that Strowman simply got up, retrieved his briefcase, and headed to the back.

Sooooo on the plus side for Strowman, maybe he got two pay cheques for tonight and still has that briefcase he can carry stuff around in.

Okay, watching the Elf amongst men always makes me feel better....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5A_dLZkCk4

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2513
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-20-2018 at 08:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Best main roster PPV of the year and I'm not sure it's even close.

I stand by the idea that Ronda going over now is the right booking. Yes, she's a division killer, but you have to actually...y'know, let her kill the division if you're going to have her at all. Plus, that's literally what they said about her in UFC and guess what? Their division is doing fine.

I marked out for Roman winning. I don't even care. Fuck Brock's bloated carcass. When he took out Braun, I was thinking "Oh god, they're going to have him beat them both down and sneak away to UFC with the fucking belt". So glad I was wrong.

Dean not turning was a pleasant surprise, as was Becky turning on Charlotte. The squash matches served to make the show go faster as you expected those to be the plodding matches that would drag you down and instead they were quick flashes with crowd favorites winning decisively. Demon Balor rules.

I think literally my only complaint was the DQ finish in the Smackdown tag title match. I get what they were going for, but it was unsatisfying and took away from the finish to the Joe/AJ match later on. Plus, it was kind of a sloppy match all around.

Still, easy, big thumbs up from me.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2018 at 01:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Dean not turning was a pleasant surprise

Yeah, I'm guessing they're going to want to run with Seth/Dean vs. Dolph/McIntyre for a good while yet, which I don't have a problem with as both teams are very strong at the moment. Before Dean's return, I was really thinking that some miscommunication between Dolph and Drew would lead to Seth getting the title back and we'd start working toward the slow burn of them breaking up toward SS/Rumble but Dean coming back threw that one out the window!

Some additional thoughts -

- God, the ending of that AJ/Joe match was just PERFECT. Joe delivering the line and AJ looking up with blood running down his face with that "What the FUCK did he just say?!" look is one of those iconic moments that'll stick around for years to come. And then AJ trying to hold his daughter with her "Daddy, you're bleeding." line. Just awesome all-around. Looking forward to more goodness in that little storyline.

- That Becky turn(?) was amazing as well. Easily the biggest pop I've ever seen her get. I just don't see how you don't end up turning Charlotte heel in that scenario. Which they could easily do by having her cut some kind of whiny "I just did what I had to do so sorry I'm the better wrestler!" promo.

- I don't know what was up with Bryan and Miz but I feel like they just never really clicked and the crowd was fairly dead for their match as well. And it kinda factors into the general malaise I've discussed here before since Bryan returned to the ring. Maybe his "My return has been a flop!" speech to Brie will get something going for him...maybe not.

- I also thought we were gonna get some kind of heel turn from the Bellas, either keeping Rhonda from winning or post-match, but nope, because apparently the crowd just LOVES them some Bellas and Total Divas (just don't pay attention to the chorus of boos for anything involving them last night).

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4179
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-20-2018 at 04:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AJ/Joe is second only to Austin/Angle,also at Summerslam oddly, as my favorite match with a dq finish. It wasn't solely a cop out or cheap finish to extend the rivalry, it was the intensiy getting dialed the hell up because of Joe's antics.
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top