The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Rumor Crap 2018: Part III
Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2020
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 8-21-2018 at 07:45 PM Edit Post
I think New Japan and ROH (and their top guys) would likely disagree with that assessment. Maybe put the indies that have working relationships with WWE like Evolve, Progress etc in that spot. ROH and NJPW would be closer to AAA level than anything else

I'm Cherokee Jack!

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3291
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 8-21-2018 at 08:17 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
I think New Japan and ROH (and their top guys) would likely disagree with that assessment. Maybe put the indies that have working relationships with WWE like Evolve, Progress etc in that spot. ROH and NJPW would be closer to AAA level than anything else

I was waiting for that. I think the quick answer to that is that despite some ďtop guysĒ having issue, recent history has shown that 99% of people still start out no higher than NXT Florida. From what Iíve heard Shinsuke and Balor were huge stars and they did their tour. Adam Cole is great and heís doing one too.

Only AJ got to avoid NXT ... not even Samoa Joe avoided it. Of all of the outside stars I think the only one with a plausible shot of avoiding NXT Florida entirely would be Kenny Omega. Cody doesnít count.

The ďtop guysĒ might view themselves as higher than NXT, but if they accept the WWE money chances are significantly higher that they will do a year or two in NXT then simply debut on Raw or Smackdown.

Edit: Off the top of my head is there any person out there other than Omega who is both a main event level prospect and speaks English fluently? I know the guys Omega has worked with are all hailed as amazing, but Nakamura and Asuka had to do significant stretches in NXT obviously to help get them acclimated to a totally different culture.

I just doubt that - other than Omega - there are any WWE prospects out there who donít need a bit of seasoning. Hell, McIntyer is already main eventing Raw every other week, was a previous employee, and they still made him do it.

[Edited on 8-21-2018 by DKBroiler]

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3291
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 8-21-2018 at 08:36 PM Edit Post
One more thing ... there is a serious roster crunch in WWE right now. They have done such a remarkable job of developing (stolen) talent the last 5 years that unless youíre a 10 year WWE jobber, youíre just not getting on Raw or Smackdown without a ton of talent or upside.

Sure there have been misses but most of them were at the No Way Jose level. Even guys like Nakamura - who might never achieve what many thought he would - are still no worse than good. Even the guys people hate, like Corbin, have obvious upside. There are just way fewer Chris Masters running around in 2018 then ever before in WWE.

I point this out because NXT currently has 10 different guys with either the charisma of a young Jericho or the in ring skills of a young Benoit (hopefully minus the murdering) and itís going to get harder every year to even make WWEís AAA, let alone skip it entirely.

How many Indy guys can you say today should leap frog Adam Cole, Ricochet, Roddy, OíReilly, Brate, Gargano, Ciampa, Black, Dream and a few others who couldnít even make Takeover? Werenít most of those guys main eventing the ROHís and such 2 years ago?

Anyway, all of this is why I do not view ROH (the top American Indy from what Iíve read on here) as above NXT Florida.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 8-21-2018 at 10:28 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
Is this going to be how things line up in 5 years?

Major Leagues: Raw and SD
AAA: NXT Florida
AA: NXT UK, NXT Japan, NXT India, NXT Mexico
A: Top Independents like ROH, New Japan

So what you are actually wishing for in five years is this:

1. WWE
2. Independent and Japanese wrestling

I mean, ok...I guess.

Personally, I'd prefer a scenario where NJPW has a strong presence on American TV and tours here regularly and several thriving, large independent promotions like Impact, ROH, and MLW rattling WWE's golden cage a little bit.

I'm not naive enough to think that any of the promotions I mentioned could threaten WWE's position as #1 like a WCW could - especially not in five years. But I'd like to think that pro wrestling will be stronger and more diverse outside of the WWE and it's various NXT contrivances.

I would think that as a WWE fan, you would want a bit of competition to force WWE to up it's game. WWE has always been at it's best when it faced some headwinds.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

bopol
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1003
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-21-2018 at 10:42 PM Edit Post
quote:

Nah, it's more like:

Very foreign league: NJPW
Not quite as good but we'll pretend: Mexican wrestling (see Mexican League in baseball which is rated AAA and isn't).
AAA: Nxt
Atlantic League: ROH

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3291
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 8-21-2018 at 11:09 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
quote:

So what you are actually wishing for in five years is this:

1. WWE
2. Independent and Japanese wrestling

I mean, ok...I guess.

Personally, I'd prefer a scenario where NJPW has a strong presence on American TV and tours here regularly and several thriving, large independent promotions like Impact, ROH, and MLW rattling WWE's golden cage a little bit.

I'm not naive enough to think that any of the promotions I mentioned could threaten WWE's position as #1 like a WCW could - especially not in five years. But I'd like to think that pro wrestling will be stronger and more diverse outside of the WWE and it's various NXT contrivances.

I would think that as a WWE fan, you would want a bit of competition to force WWE to up it's game. WWE has always been at it's best when it faced some headwinds.

Itís not that Iím rooting for it. Iím more just projecting it. It seems like thatís the path that WWE is going down and Fox gave them a billion reasons to try.

If New Japan were to achieve mainstream attention in the USA in 5 years Iíd be thrilled. I just donít expect it cause WWE has reached a corporate level unheard of in the industry.

Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2020
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 8-21-2018 at 11:22 PM Edit Post
quote:
Anyway, all of this is why I do not view ROH (the top American Indy from what Iíve read on here) as above NXT Florida.
Not saying itís above NXT Florida, just more on that level (and certainly above international NXTs). Tough to categorize it at all in terms of being a WWE farm system anyway when itís not affiliated at all. The comparison someone made to being a top international league is probably better.

As far as ROHís talent goes, yeah itís true that probably Cody, Omega and perhaps the Bucks are the only ones that would debut directly on the main roster. But most anyone whoís achieved any kind of prominence in ROH (Iím thinking guys like the Briscoes, Lethal, Scurll, King, Taylor, Castle, etc) would likely start with NXT Florida, and that would be seen as more of a lateral move, albeit one with more upward mobility. Being sent off to the UK or Mexico or wherever would end up feeling like a step back.

But anyway, yeah thatís my point. Itís tough to really rate ROH on a scale of WWE developmental when they arenít that at all. But theyíd definitely rate higher than ďlower than literally any WWE affiliated company.Ē

I'm Cherokee Jack!

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-22-2018 at 06:06 AM Edit Post
Nothing official announced yet, but there seems to be some rumours that Daniel Bryan has now signed a contract extension. Word came out a few days ago, including comments from Bryan himself, that the two sides were close and were just working stuff out over house show dates and a lighter schedule for Bryan, but otherwise all the broad strokes were said to be there.

Considering the WWE just wanted Bryan in a non-wrestling on screen role while he was still injured you'd have to figure getting him in the ring is probably gravy. I know Bryan doesn't put up Roman Reigns type merch numbers, but I really doubt he's only getting his downside either; so you'd have to figure getting him for all your TV and PPV, along with probably your big market house shows and international tours you'd have to figure it's gravy for them.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10984
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: ranting in Japanese

posted on 8-22-2018 at 06:12 AM Edit Post
* Rowan will be going for surgery on his injured biceps this week and is expected to miss four to six months from work to recover

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 8-22-2018 at 11:21 AM Edit Post
I thought that said Roman and got excited.

Don't Mess With Texas

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8326
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 8-22-2018 at 12:34 PM Edit Post
Bray and Harper are both now without their partners, while Braun could use some backup against the Shield? What a nice coincidence.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2810
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 8-22-2018 at 01:21 PM Edit Post
I personally just like the idea of mini-regional NXT brands that act as feeders into the big NXT that is then leads into Raw and Smackdown. I'm surprised people took DK's ranking of NJPW and RoH literally. I thought that was just a solid troll job by him.

OO's only mammal penguin

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2810
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

posted on 8-22-2018 at 01:21 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
Bray and Harper are both now without their partners, while Braun could use some backup against the Shield? What a nice coincidence.

Yes please.

OO's only mammal penguin

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4189
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-22-2018 at 02:06 PM Edit Post
Bryan vs Miz for a shot at the WWE Title has been announced for the Australia show. The standard guess here is that Miz wins, wins the Title then Bryan chases him for it. Maybe all the way to Bryan winning the Rumble and challenging Miz at WM.

But AJ, Joe, and even Orton as compelling options to keep or win the Title I feel they'll be a few curveballs.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 8-22-2018 at 02:18 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by TownOfDalem
I'm surprised people took DK's ranking of NJPW and RoH literally. I thought that was just a solid troll job by him.

DK can't get his chapped lips off from around the stubbled base of Vince's turgid penis long enough to form a coherent-enough thought to troll.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4189
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-22-2018 at 03:20 PM Edit Post
quote:
I was waiting for that. I think the quick answer to that is that despite some ďtop guysĒ having issue, recent history has shown that 99% of people still start out no higher than NXT Florida. From what Iíve heard Shinsuke and Balor were huge stars and they did their tour. Adam Cole is great and heís doing one too.

Only AJ got to avoid NXT ... not even Samoa Joe avoided it. Of all of the outside stars I think the only one with a plausible shot of avoiding NXT Florida entirely would be Kenny Omega. Cody doesnít count.

That's an interesting argument, besides Omega, who else could get the AJ Styles treatment? The Bucks could go either way and Daniels and others could get the Gallows and Anderson treatment and sneak in via their connection to established stars. Can't think of anybody else.

Another thing to ponder, is it coincidence that the two guys who've come the closest to match Roman's status as the top guy in WWE are two guys(AJ and Strowman) who skipped NXT? Yeah I know Braun was a extra in Adam Rose's menagerie and did house shows but he was never an NXT star.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3291
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 8-22-2018 at 03:50 PM Edit Post
quote:
I personally just like the idea of mini-regional NXT brands that act as feeders into the big NXT that is then leads into Raw and Smackdown. I'm surprised people took DK's ranking of NJPW and RoH literally. I thought that was just a solid troll job by him.

It was definitely not a troll job. Haha. It was quite literal. After reviewing the responses I have no issue putting it at the level of (or a hair below) NXT Florida. From WWEís perspective - which defacto becomes the mainstream American perspective - getting an NXT contract is a step up.

Too many ROH all stars left and instantly became NXT regulars for it to be anything less than a lateral move, but with the greater exposure Iím not sure it canít be considered a step up.

I have no issue removing New Japan from this entirely because they sell out stadiums in their home territory. All-In is big news because it sold out a basketball arena once. NXT does that regularly.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3291
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 8-22-2018 at 03:52 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
quote:
I'm surprised people took DK's ranking of NJPW and RoH literally. I thought that was just a solid troll job by him.

DK can't get his chapped lips off from around the stubbled base of Vince's turgid penis long enough to form a coherent-enough thought to troll.

Accurate. Itís VASCULAR!!!!!

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11780
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 8-22-2018 at 04:58 PM Edit Post
The regional NXT brands seem like a stepping stone to NXT Florida. Don't the wrestlers signed to NXT UK also work European independents? They're basically being seasoned for WWE while still being able to work locally in their own territory, so they don't have to uproot themselves to go work for WWE's "independent" brand. Once they're deemed ready, they'll move over to NXT Florida where they'll get more exposure and build a larger fanbase of the American audience before moving up again to WWE's main roster.

If that's accurate, the system looks like this:
Independents > WWE-Sanctioned Independents (Evolve, Progress) and Regional NXT (UK) > NXT Florida > WWE

ROH and Impact probably fall somewhere within the second step there, maybe a little higher. Not yet in WWE's little feeder system they've created, but big enough for WWE to be interested in their top stars and sign them straight to NXT Florida. NJPW is a whole different thing because it's not an independent company; it's the top company in another country. A top star transitioning from NJPW to WWE will still need to pass through NXT to become accustomed to the style change, but that process doesn't necessarily place the company into the same bracket as Evolve and Progress. Just my own opinion: I might put NJPW right above NXT Florida. Now, a top star in NJPW might be a bigger name than a top star in NXT, but will have to take a small step back by going to NXT before taking the larger step forward and ending up in WWE.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

ULTIMATE COMMENTATOR SHOWDOWN!

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3291
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 8-22-2018 at 06:28 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
The regional NXT brands seem like a stepping stone to NXT Florida. Don't the wrestlers signed to NXT UK also work European independents? They're basically being seasoned for WWE while still being able to work locally in their own territory, so they don't have to uproot themselves to go work for WWE's "independent" brand. Once they're deemed ready, they'll move over to NXT Florida where they'll get more exposure and build a larger fanbase of the American audience before moving up again to WWE's main roster.

If that's accurate, the system looks like this:
Independents > WWE-Sanctioned Independents (Evolve, Progress) and Regional NXT (UK) > NXT Florida > WWE

ROH and Impact probably fall somewhere within the second step there, maybe a little higher. Not yet in WWE's little feeder system they've created, but big enough for WWE to be interested in their top stars and sign them straight to NXT Florida. NJPW is a whole different thing because it's not an independent company; it's the top company in another country. A top star transitioning from NJPW to WWE will still need to pass through NXT to become accustomed to the style change, but that process doesn't necessarily place the company into the same bracket as Evolve and Progress. Just my own opinion: I might put NJPW right above NXT Florida. Now, a top star in NJPW might be a bigger name than a top star in NXT, but will have to take a small step back by going to NXT before taking the larger step forward and ending up in WWE.

Well said. Definitely close to what I was trying to convey. I should not have lumped New Japan in. Error on my part. Much like the Japanese baseball league, while it might not be the exact equal to the MLB, the track record of Japanese baseball players succeeded instantly in MLB is very good. At worst the Japanese league in baseball would be like AAA++, with only a few cultural differences. Seems to be the same case here in wrestling.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10984
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: ranting in Japanese

posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:04 PM Edit Post
quote:

This is a great idea on paper. The roadblock to it is that Braun is now too hugely popular to ever be taking orders from Bray again. It's kind of an identical conundrum of how The Rock grew past Farooq in the NOD way back when.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2810
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:21 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
This is a great idea on paper. The roadblock to it is that Braun is now too hugely popular to ever be taking orders from Bray again. It's kind of an identical conundrum of how The Rock grew past Farooq in the NOD way back when.

With Bray being a face the past few months this wouldn't be too much of a problem. Braun can be the defacto leader and you have the potential Bray heel turn on Braun just sitting there as a break glass in case of emergency.

OO's only mammal penguin

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12842
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA
Member Is Online

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:34 PM Edit Post
The only backup Braun needs is his former partner, Nicholas.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2810
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:41 PM Edit Post
If the Dudley's can powerbomb Mae Young off the stage what's the big deal in Nicholas taking a triple powerbomb through an announce table?

OO's only mammal penguin

Dyn-O-Mite
Fella

Posts 251
Registered 12-14-2005

Mood: Thread Killing

posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:58 PM Edit Post
quote:
quote:

Yes please.

Bray Wyatt did post this to his Twitter account just under 24 hours ago:

https://twitter.com/WWEBrayWyatt/status/1032043057561186304

Obviously could be working us or at least 1 person on the inside is thinking the same thing...

Always Imitated -- Never Duplicated

<<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top