The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Rumor Crap 2018: Part III
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7770
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-16-2018 at 03:49 AM Edit Post
On a non-Meltzer note, AJ Styles has officially surpassed JBL as the longest-reigning WWE champion in Smackdown history, at 281 days. A few thoughts on that:

-Not that it will happen in a million years (especially with the current brand split), but the WWE could really build to something special in a Lesnar/AJ rematch, given the lengths of each guy's title reign. If you put both belts on the line, the guy who's held the Universal title for 500+ days vs the guy who's held the WWE title for 281+ days would be pretty huge.

-The WWE and Universal titles haven't changed hands once in 2018, which is pretty crazy given that it's August.

-There have been only two WWE champions in the past 15 months: Jinder Mahal (ugh) and AJ Styles.

-I think this makes SummerSlam all the more intriguing, as you could see one or both long-ass title reigns come to an end on Sunday.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9055
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 8-16-2018 at 03:54 AM Edit Post
....or we see a Survior Series rematch

Don't Mess With Texas

royberto
I Do Not Know What Words Mean

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 8-16-2018 at 04:19 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
Is this an acceptable apology these days or is what he said unforgivable?

Wow, what an asshole. His "apology" is full of excuses. It's funny how Hogan has been making that type of "apology" and still saying it isn't a real one while Dave is being lauded. Screw him.

[Edited on 8-16-2018 by royberto]

Rising above the trolls

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-16-2018 at 06:20 AM Edit Post
Meh... Meltzer's probably inked tens of thousands of pages worth of bird cage liner and has probably spewed just as many hours talking about wrestling... Along the way he's bound to have said something dumb... well, dumb of the unintentional variety anyway as opposed to his usual drivel.

He apologized. Once upon a time that was the penalty for saying something dumb and then everyone moving on... Now unless there's some kind of public self castration and banishment for a year or two there's no longer letting bygones being bygones over words.

He's not my favourite by any stretch, but sometimes it's worth giving people the same benefit of the doubt that we in turn would like to get if we were to ever step in the caca (the plank in our own eye and all that...); he misspoke, was misunderstood, or just plain said something quasi-offensive (Wrestling is a business where as much as talent and push do dictate success, so too does aesthetics at least in part... thus a delicate discussion of both men and women's looks is occasionally warranted)... He then apologized...

Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-16-2018 at 06:27 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
I think this makes SummerSlam all the more intriguing, as you could see one or both long-ass title reigns come to an end on Sunday.

I think given Vince-think in big match situations I doubt we'll see both titles switch hands as he seems to like having these "moments" resonate... Which may actually wind up being a bit of a tell as to what the finish might be if AJ goes on earlier and drops the title then odds are Brock retains... On the flip side I think if Styles retains then we'll definitely see Brock drop the title in a big fashion.

Of course as always, it's wrestling so anything can happen...

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10988
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: ranting in Japanese

posted on 8-16-2018 at 07:08 AM Edit Post
It's still fun to see Meltz get egg on his face every once in a while. Seth Rollins tweeted "that's a minus-6 star match, Dave at him". Good for a harmless laff or two given how seriously Meltzer and Alvarez take themselves.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

royberto

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

posted on 8-16-2018 at 12:31 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash

He's not my favourite by any stretch, but sometimes it's worth giving people the same benefit of the doubt that we in turn would like to get if we were to ever step in the caca (the plank in our own eye and all that...); he misspoke, was misunderstood, or just plain said something quasi-offensive (Wrestling is a business where as much as talent and push do dictate success, so too does aesthetics at least in part... thus a delicate discussion of both men and women's looks is occasionally warranted)... He then apologized...
Execpt this was far from the first time he has done something like this:

https://medium.com/@jakenazar/dave-meltzers-troubling-history-with-women-in-wrestling-1e96d9e678d5

This is the guy who publicly named a rape victim,
Shit on a allegation of domestic abuse towards Japanese wrestler Tomaki Honma by saying "It's women. What can I say?",
and says this about Bayley:

He is a complete piece of shit. Period.

Rising above the trolls

royberto

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

posted on 8-16-2018 at 01:55 PM Edit Post
Just posted on ESPN's front page something nobody could ever say they saw coming: an article about inter-gender wrestling:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/feature/24364018/intergender-wrestling-equality-women-violence-them?addata=espn:frontpage

Surprisingly, ESPN puts it's SJW crap aside and actually shows it in a positive light, why it isn't domestic violence, how it differs from domestic violence, and even had a director of a domestic violence womens group saying she saw no domestic violence in it. ESPN being positive about intergender wrestling? Who would have thunk it?

[Edited on 8-16-2018 by royberto]

Rising above the trolls

Accipiter
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 77
Registered 2-24-2006
Location Richmond, VA

Mood:

posted on 8-16-2018 at 05:28 PM Edit Post
Women are equal to men.

They should be able to fight men, to beat men, and be beat by men.

The only time I really marked out in the past five years was when Rousey slamed HHH. It marked one of the first times a woman was portrayed as better than a top performing man, in any major athletic arena.

-Followed Rule #12 for 12 years

Dyn-O-Mite
Fella

Posts 251
Registered 12-14-2005

Mood: Thread Killing

posted on 8-16-2018 at 06:32 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Accipiter
He's right. Eventually, everything will be equal, but right now it's not. Peyton got boob implants which I think look like crap. Why did she get implants? Does it help her lift opponents higher? Nope, its for looks.

Remember Buff Bagwell and his calf implants....we can make fun of that because he's a man, but we can't make fun of a woman's implants??????

First, and most importantly, he's several levels below "right."

And, as to your final question: no, we can't. If we go through a looooong period of time when men and women are treated equally across all levels of humanity: go for it.

Until then, I'd say men have had it pretty good compared to women over time, so yeah, for now, women can have the "benefit" of this "inequity."

No comments on Meltzer. It's all been said, and there's a reason why I've never actively consumed any of his content. Peeps are pretty good around here curating the information that's actually worth reading.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2517
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-16-2018 at 10:09 PM Edit Post
Also: there's a significant difference between a man's calves and a woman's breasts, I think we can all agree on that. Buff getting calf implants was stupid because...why? What benefit could it have? Who gives a shit what his calves look like? It was an act of petty and ill-thought vanity from a guy who radiated...petty and ill-thought vanity. It was very on-brand.

A woman wrestler getting breast implants is something that has been pretty directly tied to the way they're treated, by audience and management alike. There's less of that these days, thankfully, but I'm sure it still matters and, when your career success is almost entirely based on being noticed by the boss and getting a reaction from the crowd, a woman might feel very pressured to do whatever she can to get that attention.

And when a man with a loud voice in your industry goes out of his way to talk shit about you and your appearance, yeah, it's going to piss you off and it's likely going to piss off your friends and, if you have decent fans, probably them, too.

It's not hard. It's called context. Men and women are equal, yes, but they haven't been treated equally and the idea that we just declare sexism is over, that's that, problem solved, is silly.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 8-16-2018 at 11:35 PM Edit Post
* Brock Lesnar, Vince, and StepHHH are scheduled for a "closed door meeting" prior to the start of SummerSlam. Brock wants to work for both WWE and UFC, Vince wants more dates out of Brock. Also, the finish to the Lesnar/Reigns match will be decided in that meeting. If no agreement can be made, Brock will drop the title. If an agreement is reached, Brock will retain.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4193
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-16-2018 at 11:46 PM Edit Post
I might start to feel some sympathy for Roman just because he might be the worst booked ''top guy'' ever. He loses, doesn't own up to the losses, then losses again, he's a bitch. If he loses sme change has to be coming for his character.

If you're wondering who'd I put in second place for worst booked top guy it'd be Bret Hart for having what was supposed to be his defining title run as face of the company end by losing to a past his prime Bob Backlund.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7933
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-17-2018 at 12:04 AM Edit Post
Bret over Mr Lex Express? Thatís a bold strategy cotton.
Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3293
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 8-17-2018 at 12:29 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Call 1-800-273-8255

Available 24 hours everyday

If you call from Canada theyíll ship you Poutine, a dozen Tim Hortonís K-Cups and a Wayne Gretzky jersey.
This made me chuckle.

And as a general response to the sympathy expressed (and so I don't derail things too much further), I'm doing okay most of the time, and getting the help I avoided getting for so long. I don't want anybody to think I'm going away soon (unless the doctors find a nice padded room for me); I just thought I'd (hopefully) shine some light into a very dark corner.

Believe it or not, this place actually helps keep me sane, or something quasi-resembling sanity. Except 'Berto. He could drive anybody nuts. (I couldn't help myself.)

royberto

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

posted on 8-17-2018 at 03:57 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Count Zero
sanity. Except 'Berto. He could drive anybody nuts. (I couldn't help myself.)
Pot calling the kettle black.

Rising above the trolls

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4193
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-17-2018 at 04:00 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Bret over Mr Lex Express? Thatís a bold strategy cotton.

I think of Lex more like 04 Orton. WWE wanted him to be a top guy but pumped the brakes when they saw it wasn't working. Only that WWE lost Lex a year later while they got something out of Orton as the #2/#3 guy.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6355
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

Mood: Not so long along

posted on 8-17-2018 at 09:01 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by royberto
quote:
Originally posted by Count Zero
sanity. Except 'Berto. He could drive anybody nuts. (I couldn't help myself.)
Pot calling the kettle black.

BAH GAWD!!! HE KILLED' IM!!!

'BERTO THAT SONOFABITCH!!!

Also, for what it's worth, I think Peyton Royceses NuTiddies are quite nice. Wait, shit, was it her or Billie Kay that got the new bolt-ons everyone's whinging abOOt? I dunno, all these broads whut got shot in the face with Homer's makeup gun look the same to me anyways.

#icOOnic

At this point Mania is going to be long, with a lot of crappy matches that mean as much as one of my dogís shits. - BFG

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

royberto

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

posted on 8-17-2018 at 01:45 PM Edit Post
*According to 'Ol Davey Boy, WWE is again looking to do the Four Horsewomen vs. Four Horsewomen match at the Survivor Series pay-per-view event.

Rising above the trolls

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 8-17-2018 at 02:29 PM Edit Post
* Rumor is that Dean Ambrose will be turning heel very soon - perhaps at SummerSlam

* WWE is still planning a talent raid on New Japan and ROH with the idea of signing their top talent and then hiding them on NXT

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1024
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

Mood: Amused!

posted on 8-17-2018 at 02:43 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGodIt's not hard. It's called context. Men and women are equal, yes, but they haven't been treated equally and the idea that we just declare sexism is over, that's that, problem solved, is silly.

The problem is that true equality is based on a respectful degree of "sexism" because men and women are not the same. Thats how you tell identical twins apart. Julie paints her nails blue..

... and Fred has a cock.

Enough of that though - I stick by my thought that Owens is leaving Summerslam with the title through a cash in following a slobberknocker which ends with a sports entertainment clusterfuck.

It feeds into the advertised HIAC matches and just makes sense as a way to get the belt off Lesnar without the big negative reaction to Reigns.

Unless of course Lesnar agrees to stay. Which my be the way to actually get Reigns over, Eventually, even the smarks wil get fed up with him getting fucked over by the booking and start rooting for him.

The "talent raid news" is odd - they have been doing that for years now

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3314
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 8-17-2018 at 02:55 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by royberto
*According to 'Ol Davey Boy, WWE is again looking to do the Four Horsewomen vs. Four Horsewomen match at the Survivor Series pay-per-view event.

This has been reported by many people but it does beg the question on who the faces and heels would be.

As it stands right now ...

Charlotte (Face but leaning tweener/heel)
Becky (100% Face)
Bayley (100% annoying but 100% Face)
Sasha (As lady HBK she will always be able to instantly turn heel or face)
Ronda (100% Face, a cash cow, and at this juncture would be mind bendingly stupid to turn heel)
Shayna (I only watch takeovers but aside from Ciampa she was the biggest heel on the program so Iíll assume sheís still a heel)
MMA4HW #s 3 and 4 (Have they even debuted)

Iím starting to think that the WWE women would be better served as the heels but what to do with Shayna? Weíve had weird looking faces many times but ďchick who curb stomps opponents elbows while shit talking themĒ isnít really a face recipe. In fact she is one of the best opponents for Ronda long term so itís a bit of a head scratcher.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2546
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-17-2018 at 02:59 PM Edit Post
God dammit...
DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3314
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

quote:
Originally posted by SpiNNeR72
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGodIt's not hard. It's called context. Men and women are equal, yes, but they haven't been treated equally and the idea that we just declare sexism is over, that's that, problem solved, is silly.

The problem is that true equality is based on a respectful degree of "sexism" because men and women are not the same. Thats how you tell identical twins apart. Julie paints her nails blue..

... and Fred has a cock.

Enough of that though - I stick by my thought that Owens is leaving Summerslam with the title through a cash in following a slobberknocker which ends with a sports entertainment clusterfuck.

It feeds into the advertised HIAC matches and just makes sense as a way to get the belt off Lesnar without the big negative reaction to Reigns.

Unless of course Lesnar agrees to stay. Which my be the way to actually get Reigns over, Eventually, even the smarks wil get fed up with him getting fucked over by the booking and start rooting for him.

The "talent raid news" is odd - they have been doing that for years now

Iím predicting that WWE goes full retard and keeps it on Brock. Iíll double predict that we get one more Brock match this fall at Night of Champions where AJ gets a rematch by putting his WWE Championship on the line ... and Brock wins that.

Heís fighting Cormier with ALL the titles. Cormier destroys him in about 8 minutes.

Brock will then face the winner of the Royal Rumble at Mania ... and win.

Heíll stay gone until next SummerSlam where he finally drops all the championships to the debuting Daniel Cormier.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

Planet Starbucks
And I am AWESOME

Posts 125
Registered 1-28-2013
Location England

Mood: Medicated

quote:
Originally posted by SpiNNeR72

I wish I wasn't 37 going on 87 and knew how to embed the Dean Ambrose 'Nope' gif.

quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
If you want a vision of the WWE's future, imagine an overpushed Samoan stamping on a human face - forever. George Orwell, 2016 (sequel to 1984)

<<  10    11    12    13    14    15    16  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top