The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What are your favorite guitar solos of all time?
maclen
Showstopper

Posts 663
Registered 9-10-2003
Location 22 Acacia Ave

Mood: for a day

posted on 1-3-2019 at 10:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
To me, this is the perfect solo. The late, great Shawn Lane playing the solo for "One More Night" to an uninterested crowd. (this vid is just the solo)

https://youtu.be/Pn-7QMGkn8k

[Edited on 1-3-2019 by maclen]

Rising From Darkness where hell hath no mercy and the screams of vengeance echo on forever, only those who keep the faith shall escape the wrath of The Metallian...
Master of all Metal

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

Mood: Plotting

posted on 2-10-2019 at 02:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Steve Vai is one that -while not everyone's cup of tea- does amazing things with 6 strings.

I'm sure he misses a note from time to time, but you wouldn't know it.

In the catagory of "Worst Solo" I'd have to say Slayer is right up on top of the list. Kind of like going to a fancy restaurant, having an excellent Risotto for an appetizer, a McDonalds Cheeseburger, and then a Molten Lava Chocolate Cake for Dessert.

And I'm a fan of Slayer.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7515
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-10-2019 at 03:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ortonmustdie
In the catagory of "Worst Solo" I'd have to say Slayer is right up on top of the list. Kind of like going to a fancy restaurant, having an excellent Risotto for an appetizer, a McDonalds Cheeseburger, and then a Molten Lava Chocolate Cake for Dessert.

And I'm a fan of Slayer.

You know, I'm a big fan of heavy metal, but have just never been able to really get into Slayer. I mean, I respect the hell out of them and acknowledge that they're one of the biggest metal bands of all time (and I do like some of their stuff), but for whatever reason they've just never been my cup of tea.

I always thought that Metallica and Megadeth did more epic, melodic type of stuff that had killer solos on their early albums, whereas Slayer was just sort of more straightforward, "every song kinda sounds the same" stuff.

Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

posted on 2-10-2019 at 04:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon

You know, I'm a big fan of heavy metal, but have just never been able to really get into Slayer. I mean, I respect the hell out of them and acknowledge that they're one of the biggest metal bands of all time (and I do like some of their stuff), but for whatever reason they've just never been my cup of tea.

I always thought that Metallica and Megadeth did more epic, melodic type of stuff that had killer solos on their early albums, whereas Slayer was just sort of more straightforward, "every song kinda sounds the same" stuff.

True, a lot of their stuff sounds similar after a certain point, for me, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are the best albums.

Sometimes simplicity is better. Metallica was pretty big by the time they released the "Black" album, but the simple riff of Enter Sandman was the song that got the attention of the rest of the world.

Slayer just stuck with what worked for them.

Also, I gotta give a shout out to a LOT of guitarists from the Hair Metal bands. So many of them never got their due because of the stigma of glam. In particular, Robin Crosby and Warren DeMartini from Ratt. Invasion of Your Privacy has some of the best metal riffs of the 80's.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7515
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-10-2019 at 06:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
True, a lot of their stuff sounds similar after a certain point, for me, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are the best albums.

Sometimes simplicity is better. Metallica was pretty big by the time they released the "Black" album, but the simple riff of Enter Sandman was the song that got the attention of the rest of the world.

Slayer just stuck with what worked for them.

Oh yeah, I don't fault Slayer at all for sticking with what worked for them. I guess it just comes down to personal preference, where I always enjoyed the more diverse stylings of Metallica/Megadeth over Slayer's non-stop headbanging approach.

quote:
Also, I gotta give a shout out to a LOT of guitarists from the Hair Metal bands. So many of them never got their due because of the stigma of glam. In particular, Robin Crosby and Warren DeMartini from Ratt. Invasion of Your Privacy has some of the best metal riffs of the 80's.

Agreed, and I'd throw guys like Mick Mars and George Lynch in there as well. Hell, C.C. Deville from Poison would probably be scoffed at by most "legit" guitar fans, but he's responsible for one of my favorite guitar solos of all time (which I listed in my initial post).

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3051
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 2-10-2019 at 05:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I definitely second George Lynch in any best hair metal guitarist discussion. I also think Mick Mars was seriously underrated. He wasn't the best soloist, but his riffs were some of the best out there for that kind of music. "Looks That Kill", "Livewire", "Too Fast For Love", "Wild Side", "Shout at the Devil", "Dr. Feelgood", "Kickstart My Heart", all classics. Crue wasn't my favorite band, but without Mars' riffs they would have flat-out sucked. But a lot of those guys were really good players - say what you want about Bon Jovi, but Richie Sambora is a great guitarist.

Worst Guitar Solo? Collective Soul's "Gel" is my pick.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12617
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 2-10-2019 at 06:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
“For The Love of God” is my favorite song off that Steve Vai album. Such a great song. I never heard that version with the symphony, very cool.

Hair metal guitar soloist I love: Vito Bratta. His work on their album Pride was just mind blowing. Not just the solos, but some of those licks he’d put under the vocals in the verses, you’d think they’d crowd out the songs, but instead they just make them that much cooler.

https://youtu.be/ElvQbq7FpgM

And then there’s Nuno Bettencourt, who is just ridiculously amazing. But don’t take my word for it, here’s Brian May’s take:

https://youtu.be/fqkKFhFMaIw

[Edited on 2-10-2019 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3051
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 2-10-2019 at 06:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
“For The Love of God” is my favorite song off that Steve Vai album. Such a great song. I never heard that version with the symphony, very cool.

Hair metal guitar soloist I love: Vito Bratta. His work on their album Pride was just mind blowing. Not just the solos, but some of those licks he’d put under the vocals in the verses, you’d think they’d crowd out the songs, but instead they just make them that much cooler.

https://youtu.be/ElvQbq7FpgM

And then there’s Nuno Bettencourt, who is just ridiculously amazing. But don’t take my word for it, here’s Brian May’s take:

https://youtu.be/fqkKFhFMaIw

[Edited on 2-10-2019 by salmonjunkie]

Dude, I wanted to include Vito Bratta too. Apparently he’s one of those tortured genius types and basically left the biz after White Lion, but his solos are ridiculous.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 4-23-2019 at 12:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote

The shear energy of this song is nearly out-shined by the solo. Not the most technical, but I love it so much.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12617
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 4-23-2019 at 04:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Hell, C.C. Deville from Poison would probably be scoffed at by most "legit" guitar fans, but he's responsible for one of my favorite guitar solos of all time (which I listed in my initial post).

I actually love his solo from Fallen Angel, which also happens to be my favorite Poison song.

So I don't know how many of you know this, but I currently play in a Metallica tribute band. After two years, we finally added Fade to Black to our song list. Learning and rehearsing the song over and over has reminded me that the solo that ends the song is so goddamn good.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 4-24-2019 at 12:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
^^^

Kirk is a master.

I mentioned this before, but I ran into Mastadon's guitarist after a show and he was kinda a dick when I told him he killed it. He's probably used to people fawning over him and didn't want to hear it, but whatever... if you don't want to run into fans, don't grab a beer at the bar next to the pavilion you just played.

It seemed like he was trying to get me to say he was the best metal guitarist there is (I told him he killed the solo on Divinations). I told him Kirk was probably the best overall metal guitar god based on the amount of great riffs he's made, the number of insane solos, and his ability to keep evolving his sound. He seemed pleased with that answer.

[Edited on 4-23-2019 by BBMN]

Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

posted on 5-8-2019 at 01:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Whoops

[Edited on 5-8-2019 by Ortonmustdie]

Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

posted on 5-8-2019 at 01:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBMN

The shear energy of this song is nearly out-shined by the solo. Not the most technical, but I love it so much.

Agreed, and only wise to listen to on a highway. There's just no driving normally with that song!

Different and much longer version that gives you a lead foot every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXrLKplLAhM

Youtube is being a dick to me and won't link the right way.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top