The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What are your favorite guitar solos of all time?
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7540
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2018 at 11:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What are your favorite guitar solos of all time?

I know the music forum doesn't see much action these days, but I was listening to the song "Nobody Hears" by Suicidal Tendencies today and thinking about how much I love the guitar solo in that song. So I figured what the hell, why not start a thread dedicated to everyone's favorite guitar solos. Here are some of mine, in no particular order:

Band: Suicidal Tendencies
Song: Nobody Hears
Guitarist: Rocky George
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp7svl4l5Dk (Guitar solo from 3:08 to 3:42)

Band: Faith No More
Song: The Cowboy Song
Guitarist: Jim Martin
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tJgiDET9-k (Guitar solo from 3:52 to 5:03)

Band: Pantera
Song: The Sleep
Guitarist: Dimebag Darrell
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axzRdFOYpqg (Guitar solo from 3:01 to 4:31)

Band: Pantera
Song: Floods
Guitarist: Dimebag Darell
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07nCSxwkso (Guitar solo from 3:50 to 5:02)

Band: Poison
Song: Life Goes On
Guitarist: C.C. Deville
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1EymJLafXE (Guitar solo from 2:35 to 3:24)

Band: Metallica
Song: Ride the Lightning
Guitarist: Kirk Hammet
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk6wLZN4X74 (Guitar solo from 2:47 to 4:21)

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5974
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Jello bones

posted on 7-23-2018 at 12:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Eddie with Eruption. Best there is, was, and ever will be.

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1616
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 7-23-2018 at 12:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lots of great options out there. I don't know that I'd call it my favorite, per se, but the one that always comes to mind is the crazy long solo at the end of "Purple Rain."
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10600
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Bouncebreak? YAY!

posted on 7-23-2018 at 01:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Joe Satriani
Big Bad Moon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW94Ikf_mC4

Starts at about 0:55 and just absolutely fucking shreds, which says something since almost every single Joe Satriani song just fucking shreds. Big Bad Moon just stands out that much more though. That's what I always liked most about Satriani, that as opposed to Malmstein or Steve Vai or any of the others from the 80's guitar-god super-soloist mode, he cared more about putting together songs that were complete from end to end instead of just being the lead guitarist jerking off in front of everyone while the rest of the band was merely there as a backdrop.

[Edited on 7/23/2018 by Paddlefoot]

Bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3057
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 7-23-2018 at 05:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've got to dust off some old metal memories here, but I've got a lot to post.

I also think a Worst Guitar Solo thread might be fun.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3057
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 7-23-2018 at 10:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okay, I'll add links when possible, but let's start with these:

- Metallica - "One", "Master of Puppets", "Ride the Lightning", "Disposable Heroes"
- Neil Young - "Like a Hurricane"
- Dokken - "Heaven Sent", "Mr. Scary"
- Led Zeppelin - "Dazed and Confused"
- Allman Brothers - "Ramblin' Man"
- Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Freebird"
- Rush - "Freewill"
- White Stripes - "Black Math"
- Night Ranger - "Don't Tell Me You Love Me"

[Edited on 7-24-2018 by denverpunk]

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7769
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 7-24-2018 at 04:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Edge's solo in U2's Bullet The Blue Sky is a personal favourite.

Clapton's solos in Crossroads and Layla are classic.

Jimi Hendrix's solo in the All Along the Watchtower is really goo.

I'd say EVH's Eruption like janney did, but that's more of an instrumental.

So I'll go with one of Eddie's often over looked solos...the solo from Jackson's Beat It.

And just to show I'm not allergic to modern music, I like the keyboard assisted solo on Dance Macabre by Ghost. Solo by Ghoul.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3057
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 7-24-2018 at 06:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pink Floyd - "Time"
The Kinks - "You Really Got Me"
Megadeth - "Sweating Bullets", "Hangar 18"
Metallica - "Unforgiven"
UFO- "Rock Bottom:

[Edited on 7-25-2018 by denverpunk]

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7540
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2018 at 05:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
And just to show I'm not allergic to modern music, I like the keyboard assisted solo on Dance Macabre by Ghost. Solo by Ghoul.

I fucking love Ghost. Probably my favorite current band.

And I should also throw in Marty Friedman's solo from "Tornado of Souls" off of Rust In Peace.

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 983
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2018 at 11:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

Isn't saying you like Ghost saying you like 80s rock anyway? I love them, but that is a complete throwback to a better time in rock music.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10600
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Bouncebreak? YAY!

posted on 7-30-2018 at 12:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm going to add in Oasis' Fade In-Out, not because Noel Gallagher is on a list of stand-out soloists. It's more because the overall merging of lead, backing, and slide (featuring Johnny Depp surprisingly) on this song has one of the overall best combined guitar ramp-ups I've ever heard. One hell of a great scream from Liam about halfway through too on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpO172tr-4

Man, Oasis was awesome when they stripped away that fucking poppish Beatles-esque thing they were obsessed with for way too long and concentrated on their own rock instead.

Bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2511
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 7-30-2018 at 02:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Be careful with this one. It may melt your face off.

Beautiful and badass as hell...

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3248
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: Can't Even

posted on 7-30-2018 at 08:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey! It's another fOOrum I don't normally post in, but gahtdayum "Man In The Box" has some great guitaristry. I will postface (instead of preface) that compliment with the following: the guitar is not exactly my favorite instrument in the history of music. (I know, I know. Start throwing rocks at me now.) But Jerry Cantrell was really really really good at his job. Out of all the 90s grunge bands, I think AIC are my favorite and also stand up well twentysomething years later. (ohmygodisuddenlyfeelsoold )
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12647
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 8-3-2018 at 03:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Man, those are some great solos you all have mentioned. Ones already mentioned that are on my list are:
Man in the Box (other great Cantrell solos - Them Bones, Sea of Sorrow, Grind, Heaven Beside You, and the entire Jar of Flies EP)
Hangar 18 (Marty Friedman was ridiculous as a soloist - the whole album Rust in Piece has some amazing solos with Holy Wars, Tornado of Souls)
The Unforgiven, One, Ride The Lightning (lots of good Kirk solos in their catalog)
Watchtower, Purple Rain...

I haven't seen Slash mentioned - his solos in Sweet Child of Mine and November Rain (among others) are just awesome.

Dimebag was mentioned - His solo on Cemetery Gates was great too.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned is While My Guitar Gently Weeps. It's my favorite Beatles song, and my favorite Eric Clapton solo. However, Prince doing the solo at the end of this all-star tribute is just holy-what-the-fuckness.

One of my very favorite guitarists to watch live is John Frusciante formerly of Red Hot Chili Peppers. There's some really good solo work in the albums, but when he played his solos live, holy shit, he took it to another level - and it looked like he was in another world when he would play.

Someone took all of his solos off their DVD at Slane Castle and compiled them into a youtube clip. It's a little jarring since you don't hear any complete songs, but still worth checking out:

His playing here on "Don't Forget Me" is just awesome:

[Edited on 8-3-2018 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7540
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-4-2018 at 08:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
I haven't seen Slash mentioned - his solos in Sweet Child of Mine and November Rain (among others) are just awesome.

Forgot to mention Slash but his solo in "Sweet Child" is definitely an all-time classic. I also love his guitar work in "Estranged," both the main riff and the solos he plays.

Also, I second you on Kirk Hammet's solo from "The Unforgiven."

And yeah, that Prince solo from "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Jesus Christ, that guy was talented as fuck.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

salmonjunkie

Posts 12647
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 8-4-2018 at 03:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh shit, that solo in Estranged is bad ass. I almost forgot about that one.

Full disclosure: I've always been a Pantera fan, but for whatever reason, never listened to The Great Southern Trendkill (I think this came out when I dove in to hip hop and punk, while avoiding a lot of metal). I finally gave it a listen thanks to this thread.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7540
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-4-2018 at 06:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Full disclosure: I've always been a Pantera fan, but for whatever reason, never listened to The Great Southern Trendkill (I think this came out when I dove in to hip hop and punk, while avoiding a lot of metal). I finally gave it a listen thanks to this thread.

I love The Great Southern Trendkill, definitely Pantera's most diverse album in my opinion. Songs like "Floods" and "10's" are amongst my favorite Pantera tracks.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 713
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-18-2018 at 09:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lotta good stuff in here. For anyone who loves solos, I’m surprised I have t seen any Thin Lizzy in here. From original guitarist Eric Bell:
Honesty is No Excuse (from their folky first album)
Mama Nature Said (that slide guitar...)
The Rocker
Whiskey in the Jar (Metallica thanks them....Eric Bell gave a 100’s year old song a new identity)
The Hero and the Madman (basically, the whole Vagabonds of the Western World album)
Little Girl in Bloom
Randolph’s Tango (some nice flamenco)

To Scott Gorham + Brian Robertson:
Philomena (one of my favorites)
Cowboy Song (one of my favorites)
Emerald (basically, the whole Jailbreak album)

Fool’s Gold (one of my favorites)
Dancing in the Moonlight
Soldier of Fortune (this shoulda been the song over the end credits of The Expendables.....would’ve been perfect)

To the late, great Gary Moore:

Still In Love With You

Black Rose (my favorite)
https://youtu.be/TjjpBb9q1P

Got To Give It Up

There’s too many. I had to shorten the list.

Basically, if you love solos and haven’t delved into Thin Lizzy besides The Boys are Back In Town and Jailbreak, then have fun. I sure did.

Found this: https://youtu.be/13sLQbqeWuA
It’s over an hour of all the Thin Lizzy solos starting with the Black Rose album. The solo to the song Black Rose is 3:14 to 6:02

By the way, Thin Lizzy morphed into Black Star Riders when they decided to make new music (Phil’s been long dead but Scott Gotham, original drummer Brian Downey {not a part of BSR}, and later version keyboardist Danny Wharton started touring as Thin Lizzy in the 90’s with some new guys). And Black Star Riders have some great solos, namely Kingdom of the Lost, Bound For Glory, Hey Judas, The Killer Instinct, Charlie I Gotta Go, Ticket to Rise.... BSR have three albums and the first two are great. The third one, Heavy Fire, has some good stuff, but not compared to the first two.

God damn, I love Thin Lizzy.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3057
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 11-11-2018 at 09:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
quote:

I fucking love Ghost. Probably my favorite current band.

I actually just listened to Ghost for the first time based off of these recommendations - how in the hell had I never heard of this band before? Prequelle is probably the most I've viscerally enjoyed listening to an album in years.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7769
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 11-11-2018 at 10:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
To be fair, I never heard of Ghost until I was watching Misfits videos on YouTube and they suggested Square Hammer earlier this year.

I was able to consume most of their old stuff (still need to check out the "If You Have Ghost" ep) before Prequelle came out. Some for really stupid reasons (ie thinking Tobias screwed the other members of the band"), other's for the more obvious Satan loving good times / harder riffs. I like it all.

I get why lot of folks seem to like the Infestissumam stuff the most, but I freaking love Prequelle. Dance Macabre is like something out of Thunder Dome / 80 movie montages mixed with Abba. Witch Image is incredibly catchy. Rats and Faith are just my kind of hard rock.

Also...band "Director" Tobias Forge has a great sense of humour.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3057
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 11-11-2018 at 11:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dude, I heard ABBA in Dance Macabre too, and was thinking, "Nah, that can't be right", and then I listened again and I heard it even more. That's a pretty incredible song.

EDIT: And then they throw in that key change in the second chorus just because they can. Awesome.

[Edited on 11-11-2018 by denverpunk]

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7540
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-12-2018 at 12:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey, is my guitar solo thread being train-wrecked into a Ghost thread? Sweet!

But yeah, I absolutely love Ghost. The music, the imagery, the tongue-in-cheek humor...it's all just so well done and I think it's awesome that they (or really, Tobias) have achieved such big mainstream success, given that a band that started out by playing 70's-style heavy metal with a satanic pope on vocals isn't exactly a recipe for "future Grammy winner." Plus I love that they continue to change and evolve with each album, but yet the music remains consistently good. I mean, something like "Dance Macabre" is pretty far removed from what they were doing on Opus Eponymous, yet it's still just as good.

Also, "Cirice" is probably one of the best songs of the past decade.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12647
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-12-2018 at 05:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The video for Cirice is phenomenal as well

https://youtu.be/-0Ao4t_fe0I

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7540
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-16-2018 at 06:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
The video for Cirice is phenomenal as well

https://youtu.be/-0Ao4t_fe0I

Yeah, that video is great and all of Ghost's videos are pretty top-notch really. I love the 70's horror vibe that they tend to go with.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7769
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 11-16-2018 at 09:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Speaking og Ghost videos, I chuckle every time I watch "He Is":

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top