The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WWE 2K19
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7260
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 7-10-2018 at 02:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WWE 2K19

We're to that point in time again, where WWE and 2K are getting ready to throw out another installment of WWE2K. Last year's game had a pretty complete roster, really only missing Andrade "Cien", Pete Dunne, and Undisputed Era as far as roster members went. Between last year and this...nothing's really changed, roster-wise. The five listed above are more than likely going to make this roster, but the Hall of Fame class of 2018 only had the Dudleys, Hillbilly Jim, and Jeff Jarrett in it as far as wrestlers not in 2K18 (for what it's worth, the first three have been in previous 2K games, but Jeff Jarrett will be making his first WWE game entry since the days of the original Playstation, if they do in fact throw out the HOF DLC pack). And the preorder bonuses for this year include the only two other major roster additions since 2K17: Rey Mysterio (though he's only appeared in two events) and Ronda Rousey.

So I guess that leads to a good question to ask: is this going to wind up being worth it for 11 additional wrestlers who weren't in last year's game (of which you'll likely have to pay extra for at least four of them, if not six if you don't preorder), not to mention the fact that last year's roster is likely to have guys not carry over to this year's roster? Last year's game had a pretty complete roster (though you could tell they knew that when they gave guys like Rick Rude, Larry Zbysko, and Lex Luger their B-Themes instead of the actual good ones), but, as an experience, it was pretty bland. But even considering that, 2K isn't exactly good at innovating (it took them until last year to put make 8 man matches).

Roster reveals will likely happen around Summerslam, and actual gameplay detail probably won't happen until the weeks before, but discussion usually starts around July so have at it.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4496
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 7-12-2018 at 08:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
While not perfect, the CAW suite has gone leaps and bounds towards making those one or two talents missing from one year to the next almost irrelevant... especially when they added the ability to upload images (case in point there are some perfect CM Punk's out there, but still only some okay Hogans).

I promise myself every year that I'll wait until the black Friday sale when this game usually drops quite a bit but then I always wind up buying it for the pre-order... Mysterio and Rousey aren't exactly giving me great reasons to rush out and buy it this time out though.

Honestly year after year I probably put more work into re-ordering the rosters in fantasy drafts and filling notebooks with matches I want to do... I really don't need the game for that.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4496
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2018 at 01:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looks like the Punjabi Prison match will be one of the new match options in the game based on some trailers.
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7260
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 8-14-2018 at 03:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, here's the first confirmed feature: Showcase is back and its a celebration of Daniel Bryan's career ranging from 2003 to now. No word yet if this will also feature an interactive Total Divas mode or a video game modeled version of Titus O'Neil getting suspended for beating up an elderly man, but 2003 to now does open up a few interesting character additions.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1867
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 8-14-2018 at 08:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That is extremely intriguing. Despite MSG drama, could we be looking at ROH’s video game debut? And who’ll come along for the ride?

Nigel McGuinness seems like a good bet for inclusion, especially as he’s under the WWE umbrella now anyway. Who else? Morishima? Austin Aries would be a good fit, but doubtful if he’ll get the call. If WWE is interested in continuing to poke at Punk, perhaps Colt Cabana?

I'm Cherokee Jack!

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2708
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 8-14-2018 at 08:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The link has more info and says the showcase features 11 historical matches. Essentially confirmed is a 2003 match with Cena on Velocity, a Team Hell No match, a match from his time with the Wyatt Family, Wrestlemania XXX (which could be two matches), and his Wrestlemania 34 match.

That only leaves 5 or 6 matches unaccounted for. I don't think RoH is going to make it.

I saw this news and thought they were going to sucker me to buying the game this year, but if it's actually only 11 matches I'm not impressed. I want like 30-40 matches spanning his entire career. Start with him vs Spanky in a WWE Dark Match and go wild from there. I get RoH might be impossible, but there is still a lot of stuff starting with his debut in NXT.

Eta - Matches I want included in chronological order:

vs. Spanky in either a Dark Match or HBK's wrestling school
vs. John Cena on Velocity
vs. Jamie Noble on Velocity
vs. Chris Jericho in NXT debut
vs. Nexus at Summerslam (probably impossible)
vs. Miz at Night of Champions for the US title
vs. Dolph Ziggler at Bragging Rights
vs. Sheamus at Wrestlemania 27
vs. the MitB ladder match
vs. Mark Henry to cash in the title (also impossible)
vs. Big Show and Mark Henry in a Steel Cage at Royal Rumble
vs. a bunch of people at Elimination Chamber (also impossible)
vs. Sheamus at Wrestlemania 28
vs. Sheamus at Extreme Rules in a 2/3 Falls Match
vs. CM Punk...yeah nope
vs. Kane at Summerslam
w/ Kane vs. Kofi and Truth for the Tag Team titles
w/ Kane and Ryback vs. The Shield at TLC (Impossible)
vs. Dolph and Big E at Wrestlemania 29
w/ Undertaker and Kane vs. The Shield
w/ Kane vs. Reigns and Rollins
vs. Orton in a Streetfight on Raw
vs. Cena at Summerslam for the WWE title
vs. Orton at Night of Champions
vs. Orton at Hell in a Cell
vs. The Wyatt Family at TLC
w/ Wyatt vs. The Usos in a Steel Cage
vs. Wyatt at Royal Rumble
vs. HHH at Wrestlemania XXX
vs. Batista and Orton at Wrestlemania XXX
vs. Kane at Extreme Rules
vs. Kane in a Casket Match
vs. Reigns at Fastlane
vs. a Ladder Match at Wrestlemania 31
w/ Shane vs. KO and Sami at Wrestlemania 34

Let it be.

[Edited on 8-14-2018 by TownOfDalem]

OO's only mammal penguin

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7260
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 8-14-2018 at 08:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I doubt they go outside of WWE for the history. I'm thinking the interesting character additions will be members of Nexus, or at least seeing how much of a revisionist history they pull on the Nexus period. I mean, they've fired two of the original members within the past year+, so likely no Darren Young or Skip Sheffield (though maybe they'd include ol' Skip for the sake of "sticking it to Ryback"). Justin Gabriel's in Lucha Underground, but that's not competition, so maybe he's back in for this, technically David Otunga is still employed, and Wade Barrett isn't on bad terms (and also seems the most likely of all the "not currently employed" guys to make the roster). Also, Michael Tarver existed once. But if there's any Nexus mention to be had, it's an equal bet on an alternate skin for Heath Slater.

Nigel is probably the most realistic of the indy guys to make the roster, but that's depending on how much WWE really wants to acknowledge the period between 2003-2011. But, ultimately, I think the intriguing addition possibilities are going to be down to Wade Barrett, David Otunga, John Morrison (based off a successful title defense), Derrick Bateman (EC3 likely makes the roster as at least DLC, though), and AJ Lee. Then again, it is 2K and WWE, so they could just through one oddball in and focus on guys already on the roster.

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2708
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 8-14-2018 at 09:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My actual predictions for the 11 matches:

vs. John Cena on Velocity
vs. Chris Jericho in NXT debut
vs. Miz at Night of Champions for the US title
w/ Kane vs. Dolph and Big E at Wrestlemania 29
vs. Cena at Summerslam for the WWE title
vs. Orton at Hell in a Cell
w/ Wyatt vs. The Usos in a Steel Cage
vs. HHH at Wrestlemania XXX
vs. Batista and Orton at Wrestlemania XXX
vs. Kane at Extreme Rules
w/ Shane vs. KO and Sami at Wrestlemania 34

OO's only mammal penguin

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1867
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 8-15-2018 at 12:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
(though maybe they'd include ol' Skip for the sake of "sticking it to Ryback").
Not sure how much it’d be sticking it to the guy when presumably they’d have to license the rights to use his likeness from him and pay him accordingly.

quote:
Nigel is probably the most realistic of the indy guys to make the roster, but that's depending on how much WWE really wants to acknowledge the period between 2003-2011.
I get that, but if they’re promoting it as going back to 2003 and the extent of his pre-NXT tenure is “here’s once or twice that he appeared as a jobber on Velocity,” that’ll take a lot of shine off of things.

The Austin showcase a couple years back did it pretty well, focusing primarily on his WWF/E stuff while occasionally sidebarring off to WCW and ECW, including Mikey Whipwreck somehow finding his way into a WWE game. It also helped that Austin’s showcase went back far enough in time that you got to encounter and unlock a lot of characters that hadn’t been in WWE games in ages (if ever).

I realize that WWE owning those two companies makes it a different case, but I think they’re making a mistake if they don’t at the very least include Bryan Danielson vs Nigel McGuinness in an indie-style even-if-the-letters-are-nowhere-to-be-seen-it’s-obviously-ROH arena.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7260
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 8-27-2018 at 03:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here's your first two new guys:

The announcing still sounds the same and the announcer still has weird pauses, but we knew this was coming. Assuming the rest of the roster is getting announced over the next few weeks (probably via IGN).

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4496
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-12-2018 at 02:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This year feels like a mixed bag; 2K and the WWE always outdo themselves year after year with the roster for the most part... I mean this year boasts 180+ different wrestlers, and yeah there's always going to be that one or two talents left off that everyone grumbles about, but seriously when most fighting games seem to top out at about 20-30 different fighters kudos to the game for delivering a massive roster. The full roster minus any DLC announcements is now out with the recent release of the 55 legends announced the other day... Feel free to google it.

But it also feels like another meh year in terms of the game itself... like a stall year where the game comes out because it's October of a new year and not because they are delivering something radically new and different from the year before.

GM mode is still out... and really that's a shame as with the full on roster splits you'd think they could work out some cool features for that... Really play up some brand competition with in game ratings wars, negotiated trades, free agency... ect... Showcase is back in, this time featuring 12 Daniel Bryan matches/moments (is one going to be lose to Sheamus in 18 seconds?) and they've added something that called Towers; which seems to be pretty much lifted from Mortal Kombat as you basically fight your way up various towers with different modifiers and stipulations along the way. One close up gives an example of AJ Styles doing a million dollar challenge where he has to fight 15 other wrestlers successively with the same life span... Neat, but really nothing exciting.

Last year introduced a new game engine and for the first time in more than a decade saw the introduction of up to 8 wrestlers in a ring at a time in Rumble matches... and yet the various announcements out there about features don't really seem to show them pushing the new engine in any kind of meaningful way... I mean I get it; there's only so much you can do with a wrestling game and even if they said hey we can now do 10 guys in the ring at a time it's apt to be a "that's nice" response as it's hard to completely re-invent the wheel for a game like this.

Some of the early reviews still site commentary as a lingering problems with lags and constant repetition.

I've ear marked my cash for Red Dead II, NHL 19, and the new Tomb Raider so I think this year will probably be a very late wait until a major price drop happens pick up.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7260
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 9-12-2018 at 10:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They’ve finished announcing the roster and, well, it’s the same as last year’s post-DLC roster, plus the NXT guys who’ve made a splash (and Heavy Machinery) and minus anyone they’ve let go. Even the legends are the same, with the exception of no Zbysko. The only real hope I have for the game is that they fix Luger and Rude so they don’t have the generic themes they had last year that they got right every year before. Besides that, this is just the game I happen to have enough Reward Zone certificates for to not hurt my wallet...which is also the same as the last few years.

Edit: here’s the roster

[Edited on 9-12-2018 by nOOb]

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7260
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 9-13-2018 at 02:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So far no DLC announcements but, based on last year’s model, I think here’s your safe bets for this year:

NXT/Future Pack: EC3, Ricochet, War Raiders, Dakota Kai
Hall of Fame Pack: The Dudley’s, Hillbilly Jim, Ivory, and, because now we’re at the point we have to pay extra to play as him, Mark Henry.

That the last two were playable last year, but not on the disc this year, they’re the safest bets. And, of course, Vince could get pissed off at something and decide Jarrett shouldn’t be in a WWE game anymore, so there’s always that. But barring 2K actually caring that do more, those are probably it. And if that’s where they stop, then I think we’ve got a definitive roster that doesn’t really justify upgrading to 2K20.

Edited to add this Fun Fact: Tomasso Ciampa is not in this game. For reasons.

[Edited on 9-13-2018 by nOOb]

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7260
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 9-19-2018 at 10:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They announced the DLC today and it's a bit underwhelming. Besides the KickStarter and Accelerator they have every year, the two packs they have are:

The Future Stars pack: Mrs. Johnny Gargano (Candice LeRae), Dakota Kai, Lacey Evans, Ricochet, Lio Rush, and the Kanelis's (because Maria is the future...of the past).

The Titans pack: Bobby Lashley, the War Raiders, and EC3.

Still no Tomasso Ciampa (though plus side is we don't have to pay for Mark Henry...we just don't get him). But I'm not about to buy WWE 2K20 for just Ciampa. At this point in time, this game has as good of a roster as they're ever going to get. 2K20 is either going to have to have a massive engine change or, more realistically, add a ton of legends to the roster next year for it to be a buy for me. Heck, the only reason 2K19 made it is because I was able to get the Deluxe edition for $20 (thank you Best Buy Reward Zone).

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7260
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 10-6-2018 at 07:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Got this yesterday, played it for enough time to have a good idea of the game. My takeaways:

The Good:
-After playing a few matches, it sounds like they may have fixed one of the most annoying problems: the commentary. Or at least done enough to mask it. So far, as I've been playing, Lars Sullivan, Heavy Machinery, Roman Reigns, Velveteen Dream, AJ Styles, Andrade "Cien", and Lince Dorado have all had unique things said about them on the way out by Graves, Cole, and Saxton (though Gran Metalik got a repeat of an intro about a Lucha house party or some such thing).
-The game itself looks, graphically, like it got a little polish to it, and even the previously mentioned Dorado and Metalik look like real individuals and not cartoon characters.
-The AI puts up a little more of a fight even on Easy, but if it's on "easy", not enough to make it constantly close (though Roman Reigns may have been given a Cena treatment to make him a pain to beat if he's on anything higher than Easy).
-The new Payback system is actually fairly useful, where you get two buffs you can choose between (anything between "instant finisher" to activating cheap shots (like low blows and poison mist) to immediately recovering from a hit) to use once after building up a bar (the first is usually is temporary damage buff, then if that's not used the second becomes available).

The Bad (or at least "Not Very Good"):
-Video game MojoJojo (the ring announce lady) is still bad. Not on her (I hope), but the game will start a match's first entrance with her announcing the "one fall part", saying "and", and then introducing the first wrestler.
-Weird glitches are still there. For example, after having him defeat Oney Lorcan, Lars Sullivan then proceeded to invite, well, no one into the ring to start a feud. Clearly someone was supposed to be there, but unless they're trying to make this Sullivan a ghost fighter, there's patches to be had.
-The AI can also be pretty stupid when it's not putting up a fight. I noticed this in a Street Profits/TM-61 match where Montez Ford would reverse a move to give him a chance to make a needed tag, only to stand there for a few seconds, then decide to run at me for an attack. Also during a handicap match, Lince Dorado threw Samoa Joe into a corner where his partners were and then proceeded to stand still for upwards of twenty seconds while Joe recovered.
-The biggest for me: how in the hell can a company get Rick Rude, Lex Luger, and Jake the Snake Roberts right in the entrance music department for three years, and then miss so poorly on the right them the next two?? Roberts previously had his early 90's "Trust Me" theme available, as well as his actual entrance music as well, but has now been downgraded to just "Trust Me", while Luger and Rude both had there actual themes for 15, 16, and 17 (Luger's nWo era theme and Rude's OO-nominated, recognizable theme), and then received generic songs last year that made it to this year.

The mechanics are still the exact same, so if you've played 2K18 (or 17, 16, or 15), you've played this. But it actually looks (and kinda sounds) better. So I'd say this is a good one to have if you don't plan on buying 2K20 without major additions.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1035
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC
Member Is Online

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 10-7-2018 at 02:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm glad it sounds like this year is turning out a lot better than last year. I still found 2K18's gameplay to be totally acceptable, and while just a tiiiiiny bit repetitive the universe mode was fun in its own way. But the career mode was a trash fire, albeit one with the occasional bright spot. One of which included a fairly baffling moment backstage where I spoke with Lana and she stated: "I'm starving. I'm gonna eat like... twenty pumpkins."

Also, is it fairly easy to unlock things? I'd guess this time around follows a similar format of earning VC via doing stuff to then access things with. Last year was a slog, though. I started out using some of what you started the game with to unlock a few wrestlers and maybe an arena or two, and then had to delete my data and start over to get a redo when I realized that if you wanted to really get into the career mode, you'd need to save a lot of VC for that. And then there wasn't nearly enough VC gain to access things at a reasonable rate, so I just caved in and bought the Accelerator thing, which may be the first time I've ever felt the need to do that.

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7260
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 10-7-2018 at 03:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It’s seemingly worse this year. Last year it felt like I could make enough to get one wrestler if I performed an entire show, this year I’ve done a full week of every show and I’ve made it to the 500’s. It’s like they’re trying to force the Accelerator on you this year (which came with the Delixe edition anyways, but still).

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1035
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC
Member Is Online

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 10-8-2018 at 02:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sounds like I'll be buying it again this year. You win this time, 2K! And last time. And most likely continuously as long as I continue buying WWE games while they're the ones handling their release. Or maybe I'll check and see if GameStop has any deluxe editions left when I go to pick it up Tuesday. If I'm going to be strong-armed into paying to skip a most-likely-only-exists-to-nickel-and-dime-us-to-death-with-microtransactions in-game currency grind by purchasing a doodad that exists entirely to bypass that crap to access content I already paid $60+ for, I might as well pay another $30ish and be given access to the future DLC people and whatnot. Or not, as I'm not sure I can easily support that price at the moment. Guess I'll figure it out by then!

But seriously, fuck the publishers/developers that decided to start using free-to-play game tactics in non-free-to-play major titles.

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 2842
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 10-8-2018 at 07:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo
Sounds like I'll be buying it again this year. You win this time, 2K! And last time. And most likely continuously as long as I continue buying WWE games while they're the ones handling their release. Or maybe I'll check and see if GameStop has any deluxe editions left when I go to pick it up Tuesday. If I'm going to be strong-armed into paying to skip a most-likely-only-exists-to-nickel-and-dime-us-to-death-with-microtransactions in-game currency grind by purchasing a doodad that exists entirely to bypass that crap to access content I already paid $60+ for, I might as well pay another $30ish and be given access to the future DLC people and whatnot. Or not, as I'm not sure I can easily support that price at the moment. Guess I'll figure it out by then!

But seriously, fuck the publishers/developers that decided to start using free-to-play game tactics in non-free-to-play major titles.

I bought it today. The only thing I had a chance to get into was the My Player part and it’s already a vast improvement over last year. The “downtime” is streamlined so you don’t have to go awkwardly running around backstage. That alone is a massive improvement.

Also ... you actually get to be an independent wrestler. It’s really cool.

About the only thing that seems to be missing is the long since removed create a story mode, but that aside I’m very impressed.

As for the leveling up it essentially goes like this ... pick one of five archetypes. As you progress you can in seemingly hundreds of different ways be choosing your upgrades. It reminds me more of leveling up in an MMO than a WWE game which is good. I have not spent any of my VC or progress points because I don’t want to regret a choice later so I’m just rocking with my level 47 on legend difficulty for now.

Yes, I’m a masochist.

Anyway I’m THEDKEXPERIENCE on XBox.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

hardwayjuice
ButtViper

Posts 7
Registered 2-19-2013

Mood: Boston Crabby

posted on 10-14-2018 at 11:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ye gads, the commentary!

Again (for what, the 20th year in a row?) with the dreadful commentary. One of the dinguses says "hohoho man!" at least half a dozen times per match. The Royal Rumble still features the "looks like an elimination, guys" warning that someone is going to imninently escape elimination. Couldn't they have fixed that rather than twatting around developing the Big Head mode? (which, because of the crap collision detection, looks like everyone is slipping in a a quick, passionate kiss during every move).

On the plus side, there was a fun Easter Egg in a Ted DiBiase match, where Graves references him financing tge Brother Love Show, and uses one of Bruce Prichard's podcast catchphrases (rumor & innuendo).

Also, am I the only one who can't make out what is highlit on options screens without standing directly in front of my 40" TV?

Giant Haystacks has received his first public warning

mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

Mood: 20% cooler

posted on 5-10-2019 at 09:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Finally, I got this game on sale for like $20. I don't think it was worth buying on day 1 and I'm not buying in as far as the DLC bells and whistles go--that edition was also on sale for $30--but $20 is a good price point. The game is similar to the rest of the 2k and SvR we've seen before, but for some reason this one actually is fun. There's lots to do and unlock if you don't buy the bypass DLC and I've even been able to play in some decent online matches which is also cool considering how old the game is at this point. Worth a download if you see it on sale again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top