The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Preacher Season 3
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 6-26-2018 at 05:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Preacher Season 3

So this just kinda popped up out of nowhere, it seems like, but we're to Season 3 as of Sunday.

This year's theme is Angelville, which is apparently where Jesse grew up. Judging from the first episode, it's about as weird and fantastic as you'd think. Other storylines include Herr Starr and company being in possession of part of Jesse's soul, Arseface being free from Hell, and Hitler on the loose. Fun times.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10517
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 6-26-2018 at 06:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looks like Hitler working at Subway or Dairy Queen should have some laugh value to it. I can understand some viewers just not getting this show and that's fine. It works for me though, this grand display of Southern Gothic on bath salts, and I still think they have the best fight scenes of any show on TV right now, eg the first brawl in the opener between Jesse and Jody.

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 7-6-2018 at 08:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think my favorite part of this show is how they'll take unexpected songs and use it in a scene that you wouldn't typically associate with it, and somehow it just works. They did it last year with Jesse's fight in the torture room, and this season they've already done it once with the Krishna HQ shootout. So, for no better reason than future enjoyment, here's the examples.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10517
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 7-16-2018 at 05:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I figure tonight they might have reached peak insanity, with Satan's first appearance, the return of the Saint, and Cassidy-in-a-box. They're doing now what all these kinds of shows seem to do with hitting their stride in the third season. Doesn't get much better than this episode was.

They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. They don't deserve to start again, and I won't allow them.
- David-8

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10517
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 7-23-2018 at 09:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So, three major appearances tonight with the Allfather, Les Enfants/Eccharius, and The Duke all making their debuts. Plus they opened with another brawl set to music, this time Werewolves of London, and Jesse got the coffin treatment too. Not as frenetic as last week's show but still very damn good. I'm hoping that Denis re-appears too just to make the demented New Orleans vampire scene a bit more interesting, so hopefully he wasn't killed when Cassidy threw him out into the sunshine last season.

- David-8

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 7-23-2018 at 05:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That was as John Wayne-y of a performance as I've ever seen from someone impersonating John Wayne. They nailed that. They've actually just been nailing it in general this season. And I have a good feeling about the next episode. My DVR cut off right after they showed Arseface in the orphanage and the lady introducing him to his new foster parent, the Saint, and I almost died.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10517
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 8-3-2018 at 11:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like how they made Eccarius into more of an actual threat, way more powerful and skilled than Cassidy is, as opposed to the effete dingus he was in the Cassidy one-shot comic. It opens up more avenues for enhanced mayhem that way. Having the coven meet in "Kevin's grandma's basement" for their sessions was a touch of genius too, so was Mrs. Rosen being all comforting to Cassidy when he returned to the house after a day-long crack binge.

Gotta say that Colin Cunningham as TC is kind of stealing the show this season with every scene he's in. From "you wanna see my dingle?" to running away with no pants or underwear on from the petting zoo after stealing a goat deserves a different definition than merely "classic". At this stage I want to see a comic book written by Ennis, Rogen, and Catlin all working together. A regular Ennis book is insane enough but adding the other two would be like adding nitrous oxide to a funny car that's already racing on rocket fuel.

- David-8

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 8-4-2018 at 12:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I thought how they introduced Allfather, he was just going to be an incompetent fat guy who's only power was his title. And then they let Herr Starr explain that he's a wrathful guy who knows how to use his station to get the nuclear apocalypse (and crushed a man's skull by sitting on him for "touching his Hot Pocket").

At this point, the show now has four storylines I'm interested to see how they're played out: the Grail/Allfather/tap-dancing Humperdoo scenario, Jesse and Eccarius, Angelville, and the Saint's hunt for Hitler. That last one should be fun because there's no way they spent an entire season to break Eugene out of Hell, only to take 15 minutes to wrap it up (that's something a Cinemax show does when they brought on an actor/actress who winds up becoming more famous between seasons). Something tells me that when he brings them back, they really don't want to give the Saint his Angel-killing guns back.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 8-6-2018 at 11:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hitler trying to start a Fourth Reich with employees who lost their employee parking spots (and seemingly getting started in succeeding) was gold. Also, Julie Ann Emery may be one of the few women who can somehow not only pull off a broken nose, but also look hot in one.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 8-27-2018 at 06:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll go ahead and second the TC love. He was the MVP the season, and that last episode it ranged for him from funny (trying to talk Jesse down into being forced to shoot himself in the foot to ripping off Jesse's Tomb-intro, which was immediately broken up by the Jody/Jesse fist fight) to downright sad (his deciding to stay in the Tombs while Angelville burned because he had "nowhere else to go"). It was a bit sad to see "Rick from Circuit World and his SS Shock Troops" get thrashed so quickly, but damned if that wasn't a satisfying pay off to see the Saint pluck out Sidney's eyes AND kill the Devil. An added plus for Hitler's "moving up in the world" from starting the Fourth Reich out of a strip mall to running Hell while still in his sub shop uniform.

That was a solid wrap-up to the season, and it built a good foundation for next season: no more of Starr trying to win over Jesse, just him and Featherstone (RIP Hoover) plus a heavily armed, heavily ear-muffed battalion versus Jesse and Tulip over Cassidy (and maybe his new angelic cellmate...or is that his torturer)?

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10517
Registered 1-19-2008
Location still in hell

posted on 8-27-2018 at 11:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Plus it had that one essential scene that got all the dinguses really riled up too.

Great season overall, non-stop rock from beginning to end. I think a key component was that the three main stars are now producers as well and their input on the direction is what allowed them to really cut the characters completely loose. And hopefully TC is still kicking too somewhere because he, and his dingle, are just too aw-shucks entertaining to never see again. Hopefully renewal occurs again as well as a well-deserved boot upwards to thirteen or sixteen episodes per season instead of a mere ten.

- David-8

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 5-16-2019 at 11:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thereís no trailer for season four yet so this is the best place for it: Preacherís done after this season. AMC also seemed to cancel everything else that wasnít Walking Dead related with the exception of Better Call Saul.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top