The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: XXXtentacion
mastermind
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1144
Registered 3-7-2002
Location Brockton MA

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 6-19-2018 at 01:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
XXXtentacion

Rapper XXXTentacion was shot and killed during an apparent robbery Monday in Broward County, Florida, police said.

The 20-year-old rapper, whose real name was Jahseh Onfroy, was leaving a motorsports store shortly before 4 p.m. when two men in a dark colored SUV shot and killed him in an apparent robbery, said Keyla Concepción, Broward County sheriff department public information officer.

Broward County deputies are actively looking for the two men and asking anyone who witnessed the shooting to come forward, Concepción said.

-- Before the inevitable "whOO???" reaction.... -

XXXTentacion, a Plantation, Florida, native, rocketed to fame after his song "Look at Me" went viral on social media and audio distribution platform SoundCloud in 2016 according to CNN affiliate WSVN-TV.

He went on to be featured in XXL magazine's 2017 Freshman Class alongside other up-and-coming artists.

His latest album "?" premiered at No. 1 when it was released in March, according to Billboard's website. The album's single "Sad!" peaked at No. 7 on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent 15 weeks on the charts, according to Billboard.

At the time of his death, he was awaiting trial for a domestic violence incident involving his pregnant girlfriend, according to court documents. And he had been under house arrest for a time while he awaited trial on battery and harassment charges. The house arrest was lifted in March, according to Miami-Dade court documents. He had plead not guilty to multiple felony counts, including witness tampering.

XXXTentacion also stirred controversy. His September 2017 music video for the viral hit "Look at Me" sparked backlash for staging a scene depicting XXXTentacion lynching a young white boy. The video also referenced flashpoints in the national debate on race such as the 1991 Rodney King beating, the lynching in Mississippi of 14-year-old Emmett Till in 1955, the 2014 Ferguson, Missouri riots, the police shooting of Philando Castile in Minnesota in 2016 and the 2017 Charlottesville, Virginia, violence.

At the end of the video, XXXTentacion spoke about violence and American youth.

"Are you willing to risk your child's future due to your own bigotry? The choice is yours, but your child will not stand for the hate. This generation will be loved, nurtured, heard and understood."

Was working yesterday in Brighton when I started getting social media alerts. The video and stills of the video were floating around before the news even broke. I hoped it might be some kind of sick work at first but multiple reputable sources quickly confirmed it. Not a huge fan of his music, though I LOVE the song "Garrett's Revenge". His woman beating backstory makes it hard for me to truly empathize with him. Especially when those details were so graphic. RIP to a kid who clearly had issues but appeared to be dedicated to overcoming them. I wonder if his death will make him a modern day Hip Hop folk tale.

Join the amazing world of Mash-Up Wrestling!

BROKEN CITY CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING is back...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 10657
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Phenomenal

posted on 6-22-2018 at 05:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I heard "Look At Me" and "ImSippinTeaInYoHood" sometime last year and loved the hard, grungy sound of them. I listened to one of his mixtapes and wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. Lots of loud instrumentals over vocals too quiet to hear. Kept looking through his stuff, and did find a few more that I enjoyed. "SAD!" being the latest example, having heard it on the radio of all places a few months ago. I'm going to have to listen to his album "?" (where "SAD!" is from) sometime soon.

I'm in the same position as you, finding it hard to really "mourn" his death because of how terrible of a person he appears to have been. Still an unfortunate end to the guy.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy

Ultimate Entrance Theme Showdown

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top