The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Disillusioned with WWE
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2497
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA
Member Is Online

Mood: Weird

posted on 6-22-2018 at 02:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I will say this, if you are very disillusioned and unhappy with WWE all the time, you should definitely stop watching. And that's not me being sarcastic or judgmental or anything. I learned the lesson myself. When I finally stopped watching things I'd once loved that I could no longer stand (The Walking Dead being the first example that comes to mind), I felt an immediate sense of relief that I no longer had to pay attention to it. It freed up a part of my brain, even if it was only a little bit.

This shit ain't worth getting worked up over. It's just not. I bitch, sure, but I will still absolutely say that I like WWE and get a significant amount of enjoyment from the product regularly. I don't think that's me being a shill or an apologist, that's just me...liking something. I like Seth Rollins and Shinsuke and Rusev and New Day and Elias and Becky and Asuka and Dean Ambrose and Kevin Owens and Jeff Hardy and pretty much all of NXT and a million other things besides. And if you don't like any of those things (or you don't like them enough to counterbalance the bad), you will honestly be doing yourself a favor by cutting it out. Check in now and again, see if it's more to your liking down the line.

I just see so much resentment in a lot of fandoms: comic books, Star Wars, and wrestling most especially, where there's a huge subset of 'fans' who genuinely hate the modern version of the thing they like. But they just still keep imbibing it and growing more toxic. Note those idiots who just said they wanted to raise 200 million dollars to remake the Last Jedi more to their liking. I can just as easily imagine some marks out there trying to raise money to rebook Wrestlemania (DUDE IF YOU GIVE TO MY GOFUNDME WE CAN TOTALLY MAKE CM PUNK VS KENNY OMEGA HAPPEN BRO)

Again, I don't mean this to bash anyone. I just know that I made myself much happier giving up shit I was watching more out of nostalgia and obligation than actual enjoyment. To paraphrase Guillermo Del Toro, I don't do homework - if my pop culture thing is dragging me down or boring me or making me angry, then it's time to just put that fucker aside and find something better to do with my time. Just for myself and my own sanity.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1077
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 6-22-2018 at 02:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You're absolutely right. I'm going halfway these days: Auto-skipping every non-wrestling segment on WWE television and only watching the matches. It's a step in the right direction, plus I get through Raw in about an hour and a half tops.

There's plenty of wrestling out there so that anyone doesn't have to watch a product that they hate; there's something out there for just about every type of fan.

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 6-22-2018 at 02:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm surprised some of the Dude-bros who hate Last Jedi for being too liberal and pushing a feminist agenda haven't been more noticeable in wrestling, what with the Women's Revolution, er Evolution.

Although I do avoid comment sections on news sites or wrestling YouTube. So maybe I'm just not seeing it?

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1077
Registered 7-27-2002

posted on 6-22-2018 at 03:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Check the comments to women wrestlers on social media postings. Then realize that's just what idiots say in PUBLIC and what lands in their DMs is even worse.

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
bopol
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-22-2018 at 03:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you are going to get $200M to redo The Last Jedi, can we go all the way back to The Force Awakens and fix what is wrong with that as well.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2497
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA
Member Is Online

Mood: Weird

posted on 6-22-2018 at 04:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bopol
If you are going to get $200M to redo The Last Jedi, can we go all the way back to The Force Awakens and fix what is wrong with that as well.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10859
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 6-22-2018 at 04:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
I'm surprised some of the Dude-bros who hate Last Jedi for being too liberal and pushing a feminist agenda haven't been more noticeable in wrestling, what with the Women's Revolution, er Evolution.

Although I do avoid comment sections on news sites or wrestling YouTube. So maybe I'm just not seeing it?

There's not much hate on display really. More just a lot of the usual "man, I wanna bang the fuck out of all of them" sorts of comments. There was actually more real hatred here on OO directed by a certain person currently on the blocked list at two women who were put over a certain red-headed jobber than on any of the YT or Disqus comment sections.

quote:
Originally posted by bopol

That would require time travel to go back to 2008 and stopped a well-known circle of fanboy hacks from taking over and raping Star Trek before they got the green-light by Disney to take over Star Wars.

[Edited on 6/22/2018 by Paddlefoot]

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1077
Registered 7-27-2002

posted on 6-22-2018 at 01:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I highly recommend to any wrestling fan to check out an independent show if one is able to. The live experience is what makes it fun, especially the more direct interactions. It makes even the, ahem, "lesser" shows a good time.

-PB

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2795
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC
Member Is Online

Mood: Waddle

posted on 6-22-2018 at 03:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I share a similar perspective to GodEatGod on this one. Both cause personally I'm in on WWE right now and with his suggestion that it's okay to stop watching. I stopped watching around 2001 and slowly eased back in from 2005 to 2007. For me it provided a clear break between my fandom as a child and my fandom now as an adult. It minimizes my nostalgia issues that I think lead to so many problems for people. That and so much of the attitude era is cringe worthy and embarrassing that I don't have as much nostalgia.

Before the WWE network, I would also periodically have a month or two ignoring the product. The PPV's are so easy to watch now that I don't do that anymore, but I still miss plenty of Raws and Smackdowns when I'm busy or just not in the mood.

I also think from a talent/ringwork state the WWE might be the best it's ever been. Every single PPV has at least a few good to great matches. Talent like AJ, KO, Sami, New Day, Usos, Miz, Rollins, Asuka, Bryan, Joe, Ziggler, and more are consistently delivering for me. My bigger current problem is I skip more 205 Live and NXT then I'd like to because there is so much good product.

quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
I just see so much resentment in a lot of fandoms: comic books, Star Wars, and wrestling most especially, where there's a huge subset of 'fans' who genuinely hate the modern version of the thing they like. But they just still keep imbibing it and growing more toxic. Note those idiots who just said they wanted to raise 200 million dollars to remake the Last Jedi more to their liking. I can just as easily imagine some marks out there trying to raise money to rebook Wrestlemania (DUDE IF YOU GIVE TO MY GOFUNDME WE CAN TOTALLY MAKE CM PUNK VS KENNY OMEGA HAPPEN BRO)

Again, I don't mean this to bash anyone. I just know that I made myself much happier giving up shit I was watching more out of nostalgia and obligation than actual enjoyment. To paraphrase Guillermo Del Toro, I don't do homework - if my pop culture thing is dragging me down or boring me or making me angry, then it's time to just put that fucker aside and find something better to do with my time. Just for myself and my own sanity.

This is gold. I just don't consume the stuff I think is garbage. Star Wars is the most popular current example. Last Jedi and Force Awakens are awesome so I've watched them each many times (Last Jedi is the the best Star Wars movie of all time obviously). Rogue One and Solo were trash so I've never re-watched them (though I'll watch the beach battle in Rogue One again at some point. Movie had shitty plot and characters, but cool action).

That said, before I get too far up on my high-horse, I still can't stop myself from getting worked up about Roman Reigns terrible booking ruining four straight Wrestlemania main events.

OO's only mammal penguin

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1077
Registered 7-27-2002

posted on 6-24-2018 at 05:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm doing my best to dial things back to a more casual viewing experience. Different fans like different things and that's okay. Also, trying not to get too emotionally invested in anyone so I don't fly off the handle over dumb booking decisions. I'm 40; I've got more important stuff to worry about than online arguments about whose "sportz entertainer" is better (I would once say "fake fighter" but was informed that might be slightly disrespectful).

I'm definitely putting more time toward other hobbies, whether it be my standup comedy or other stuff. (I still have my old Transformers collection, amazingly...LOL.)

-PB

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8970
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 6-24-2018 at 06:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PB-13
I highly recommend to any wrestling fan to check out an independent show if one is able to. The live experience is what makes it fun, especially the more direct interactions. It makes even the, ahem, "lesser" shows a good time.

This. There's a circuit in Seattle called 3-2-1 Battle! which does shows every 2 weeks which has been amazing. Such a great interactive experience and the fans there are totally into it.

Don't Mess With Texas

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3279
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 6-24-2018 at 06:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think "the indies" offer a degree of... god, I'm gonna sound artsy here, so if that bugs anybody, feel free to quit reading... NOW.

There's a lot more intimacy in the 'small venue' experience, and wrestling is, at heart, partially-improvised theatre. When the performers have the ability and opportunity to connect with the people in the front row AND the people in the back row, it can be a completely amazing experience. Sort of like seeing your favorite rock band playing acoustically in a smaller club/theatre. The WWE is "Stadium Rock" -- a performance designed to be Loud And Flashy, and they don't tend to deviate from the set list if the crowd isn't feeling it. Indie-people have the ability to "read" the room (or should, if they're good at what they do), and cater their performances to the mood of the couple-of-hundred people present. If something gets a lot of laughs, do more 'comedy' stuff. If they pop for lucha, bust out your 450 Splash instead of the normal finisher.

I wish I lived in a part of the world that had a regular indie-presence. There are a couple of promotions that occasionally run shows in my "city", but not enough to really create an Indie Scene.

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1077
Registered 7-27-2002

posted on 6-24-2018 at 07:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Count Zero nailed it. It's why I go to as many indie shows as I possibly can nowadays, even driving over an hour on my own in some cases.

Big reason why I gave up on WWE is my current philosophy: Let wrestling companies do whatever they want and let the ticket money decide who's doing it right or wrong. With WWE, they have all the money in the world so they have exactly zero incentive to change anything. As a result, they'll push whoever they want and it won't really matter to their bottom line to any great degree. Especially as long as disgruntled fans still shell out the dollars to attend shows for the sake of booing you-know-who and chanting dumb stuff.

-PB

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3206
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 6-26-2018 at 07:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PB-13
You're absolutely right. I'm going halfway these days: Auto-skipping every non-wrestling segment on WWE television and only watching the matches. It's a step in the right direction, plus I get through Raw in about an hour and a half tops.

There's plenty of wrestling out there so that anyone doesn't have to watch a product that they hate; there's something out there for just about every type of fan.

I love PB-13 posts. Dude is the bizarro DKBroiler.

There are entire weeks of Raw that I FFíd 95% of each match and only watch the non-wrestling segments. I need to watch wrestling with this guy one day if for no other reason than just to baffle each other.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3206
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 6-26-2018 at 07:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Count Zero
I think "the indies" offer a degree of... god, I'm gonna sound artsy here, so if that bugs anybody, feel free to quit reading... NOW.

There's a lot more intimacy in the 'small venue' experience, and wrestling is, at heart, partially-improvised theatre. When the performers have the ability and opportunity to connect with the people in the front row AND the people in the back row, it can be a completely amazing experience. Sort of like seeing your favorite rock band playing acoustically in a smaller club/theatre. The WWE is "Stadium Rock" -- a performance designed to be Loud And Flashy, and they don't tend to deviate from the set list if the crowd isn't feeling it. Indie-people have the ability to "read" the room (or should, if they're good at what they do), and cater their performances to the mood of the couple-of-hundred people present. If something gets a lot of laughs, do more 'comedy' stuff. If they pop for lucha, bust out your 450 Splash instead of the normal finisher.

I wish I lived in a part of the world that had a regular indie-presence. There are a couple of promotions that occasionally run shows in my "city", but not enough to really create an Indie Scene.

You nailed it my northern friend. Reminds me of 2 things ... surprisingly enough your boy DK actually has a degree in English. I used to argue vehemently in Shakespeare class that olíBilly would LOVE pro-wrestling. It didnít go over well but I always believed that. Itís a traveling theater of the absurd. Thatís right up Shakespeareís alley.

Also, youíre totally right about the stadium rock thing. I go to maybe 3 concerts a year but one of my best friends goes to like 50. Since I go so unfrequently I just want whomever Iím seeing to ďplay the hitsĒ because I donít have the time nor inclination to broaden my horizons to new shit mid-performance. Meanwhile my buddy thinks hearing 17 versions of the same performance a year makes for a good experience. Iíll literally shout for the hits just to make him cringe. This is why Iíd watch an hour of The Rock saying essentially nothing as long as he says his 5 catch phrases and be perfectly happy doing so.

As pertains to wrestling of course I love a really great match - sign me up for as many Gargano matches as possible - but Iíd take a good performer over a good in ring wrestler 99 times out of 100. I like to laugh at the absurdity of it all and simply disconnect for a few hours.

Ultimately I watch WWE because it consistently makes me laugh ... even if itís at them.

[Edited on 6-26-2018 by DKBroiler]

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3279
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 6-26-2018 at 11:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I had a professor at my university who taught, among other things, a "Popular Culture" class. One of the sessions on the syllabus was something like "Vince McMahon & William Shakespeare", or "The Shakesperian Drama of Pro Wrestling" (I can't exactly remember, but y'all get the idea). As somebody who liked both things, I was eager to see how -that- was going to work out with an auditorium full of Liberal Artsies who, unlike myself, probably hadn't ever watched an episode of RAW in their lives.

By the end of that class, his "Shakespeare was writing pro-wrestlingesque live entertainment before such a thing ever existed" thesis was pretty well-argued by his examples, and accepted by most of the students. I remember a significant part of the discussion being about "The Undertaker: Humanity Facing The Angel of Death", and enough people actually knew who 'Taker was to provide context for the rest. I wish I had my notes, just so I could see how much I've forgotten since then.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 7-2-2018 at 03:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This thread probably already jumped the shark but I'm going to add my two cents anyway:

What I see in wrestling now is a divide between WWE fans and non-WWE fans. Now, obviously there's a great deal of crossover, and I don't want to deal in absolutes because only Sith deal in absolutes, but I digress...

My point is that there is a great, big world out there outside of WWE wrestling. New Japan, Lucha Underground, Ring of Honor, PWG, MLW, and all the smaller, local indies. Non-WWE wrestling is BOOMING right now. I think that's a result of fans like me (and posters above) who are "disillusioned with the WWE". We don't like what Bud or Miller have to offer, so we are enjoying micro-brews now.

I like realism in my wrestling. I want to suspend my disbelief and pretend it is an actual competition with matches that matter, championships that matter, and wrestlers who fight over those high stakes. I want the moves to look at real as possible (while not injuring anyone) and I want the announcers to call the match as if it was a real contest. I want the promos to make me feel more invested in the match or the wrestler. I want the backstage segments to move along the story and make the "actual match" appear even more important.

I loved the 1980's NWA because they took such great lengths to make it seem like a real sport with real athletes who fight over important championships. Again, I know it's not absolute and hokey, corny, cringe-y shit appeared on NWA and AWA TV too, but it didn't seem like a constant barrage. Most of the cartoony shit was left for the prelim and lower-midcard guys.

From my perspective, the WWE today is flashy, corporate, watered-down wrestling that bears little resemblance to 1980s NWA or even WWF circa 2000. As Bryan once said, "The WWE isn't a wrestling company. It's a parody of a wrestling company." It's sizzle rather than steak. I used to rage against that truth, but I've come to accept that while that may not appeal to me, there are other folks who are hardcore WWE fans and no matter how shitty I think they are, they will still consume that product. That doesn't make them bad fans or stupid people, just people with different tastes.

An issue with that is, by and large, this is a WWE-centric board. Most posters here still watch and love the WWE despite it's flaws. So, it was hard for someone like me who doesn't feel that way to voice my displeasure without coming off as an angry asshole or a contrarian troll. As another poster said, it's good to take a break sometime. I did that, and I am back with a less combative attitude. I'm not going to get into pissing contests about a product that I don't really care about. It's like getting into a knife fight over whether Coke is better than Pepsi. It's just not that important.

I've accepted that the WWE isn't marketing to me. I've accepted that the WWE/WWF that I remember and love is gone, and that is is silly to yearn for it to return. There are wrestlers there who I admire and enjoy like Bryan, Joe, AJ, Miz, Nakamura and Balor. I hope they do well, but when they get buried or used in a way I don't agree with, I'm not going to rant about it. I just don't care enough about the product to bother.

Loving wrestling and loving the the WWE are not the same thing. I get my wrestling fix from New Japan, ROH and lots of local indie wrestling. The wrestling is awesome, the storylines are compelling, and the atmosphere can't be beat. For the most part, I don't feel like my intelligence is being insulted like I do when I watch WWE. The titles are important. The feuds make sense. The matches are important. It feels "real" again.

[Feel free to insert "IT'S STILL REAL TO ME" meme]

So, to end this long thing, I see two different spheres of wrestling fans, and I am firmly in the non-WWE camp. That doesn't make me hate the WWE or hate people who like it. I've just lost interest, and have found something more interesting elsewhere. I'm done screaming LOLWWESUCKS. Nor am I going to be screaming OMGNEWJAPANRULEZ. I like what I like, and you like what you like and life will go on.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3206
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 7-2-2018 at 04:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Itís certainly not that I donít like wrestling outside of WWE but there are only so many hours in the day, and like it or not, itís absolutely the major leagues. I like it when you guys bring up Indy wrestlers that I otherwise wouldnít know about - it was only a year ago where I learned that Kenny Omega and Kenny from the Spirit Squad were not the same guy.

I do like that wrestlers can become huge stars on their own now and equally like that WWE seems to be ok with them keeping their identities. So when Omega finally shows up ... maybe this year, maybe in 5 years ... Iíll know that this dude matters (much like AJ) even though Iíve seen maybe 3 total minutes of his career.

The only thing that I never understood was how someone could view the current WWE roster as Indy unfriendly. If I told some of you in 2012 that the WWE main event would involve Styles, Joe, Owens, Zayn, Rollins and so on a lot of your heads would have exploded.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 7-2-2018 at 05:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
Itís certainly not that I donít like wrestling outside of WWE but there are only so many hours in the day, and like it or not, itís absolutely the major leagues. [/quote}
I will not disagree that WWE is the major leagues. It's absolutely the biggest wrestling promotion in the world. It's the most visible. It's the most profitable. But that doesn't make it the best anymore than Budweiser is the best beer or Papa John's is the best pizza or Michael Bay is the best director. I may enjoy a night drinking Bud, eating Papa John's and watching Transformers, that doesn't mean I can't find better quality elsewhere. To put it another way, the biggest to me doesn't mean the best quality. For example, I used to watch the NFL religiously, but I now find college football more interesting and more entertaining.

quote:

I do like that wrestlers can become huge stars on their own now and equally like that WWE seems to be ok with them keeping their identities. So when Omega finally shows up ... maybe this year, maybe in 5 years ... Iíll know that this dude matters (much like AJ) even though Iíve seen maybe 3 total minutes of his career.

This makes total sense, and I understand about only so much time to watch wrestling, but don't you want to know WHY that dude matters rather than trust Vince or Michael Cole to explain it to you? I mean a lot of the indy guys in the WWE now did their best work before the WWE.

quote:

The only thing that I never understood was how someone could view the current WWE roster as Indy unfriendly. If I told some of you in 2012 that the WWE main event would involve Styles, Joe, Owens, Zayn, Rollins and so on a lot of your heads would have exploded.

Perhaps this was directed toward someone else, but I never suggested WWE is indy un-friendly. I remember 5 or 6 years ago, it was suggested that NXT was a way for the WWE to homegrow their talent without having to have indy guys "un-learn" bad habits and learn "the WWE style". I think that's proven to be untrue. AJ skipped WWE developmental altogether and is arguably WWE's top star now. On the other hand, a lot of guys (Cody, Omega, the Young Bucks, etc.) are able to make as much more more outside of the WWE than they ever could in the WWE - with more flexible travel schedules and better character development and storylines.

There are more options for wrestlers and more options for wrestling fans than perhaps ever before. That's a good thing for everyone!

My point was that there is a Venn diagram of WWE wrestling fans (like you, DK) and non-WWE wrestling fans (like me). There's also clearly overlap and that's OK. I'm a casual WWE fan now. If I hear about something through mainstream outlets or something that sounds interesting on here, I'll tune in, but I don't go out of my way to consume WWE. I think more and more people are the same way.

[Edited on 7-2-2018 by CCharger]

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3206
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 7-2-2018 at 05:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No doubt CCharger. My comment was more just generally wondering aloud than at anyone in particular. You guys really are my own personal pro wrestling scouting department.

Iím very much McMahonized. As a northeasterner born in 1981 my wrestling fandom was all things WWF and when I saw something like the AWA on a random channel my brain dubbed it minor league. Most of that is for 2 reasons - I usually prefer monster sized wrestlers as headliners and I love me some high production value bells and whistles. A good match is often much further down the list for me than most - I still love Brock Smash over AJ being amazing for example.

At the end of the day there are a ton of different options for us all to enjoy. Not better or worse, just different.

Oh, and my minor league comment wasnít trying to disparage anyone. Itís just what it is due to money and market share.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 7-2-2018 at 06:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
No doubt CCharger. My comment was more just generally wondering aloud than at anyone in particular. You guys really are my own personal pro wrestling scouting department.

Iím very much McMahonized. As a northeasterner born in 1981 my wrestling fandom was all things WWF and when I saw something like the AWA on a random channel my brain dubbed it minor league. Most of that is for 2 reasons - I usually prefer monster sized wrestlers as headliners and I love me some high production value bells and whistles. A good match is often much further down the list for me than most - I still love Brock Smash over AJ being amazing for example.

At the end of the day there are a ton of different options for us all to enjoy. Not better or worse, just different.

Oh, and my minor league comment wasnít trying to disparage anyone. Itís just what it is due to money and market share.

Agreed on all points. No offense taken. Different strokes for different folks.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4107
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 7-3-2018 at 12:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Personally, as a huge movie/tv nerd I've always been ok with wrestling's fandom because I've seen into the abyss and it can be so, so, so much worse.

Ultimately wrestlign fandon comes down to my guy vs your guy and it's infinite variations. WWE homgerown vs indy star,seeing legends for nostalgia vs giving air time to younger guys to see somsething new, workrate vs ''storytelling'',WWE vs the world outside it, a wrestler vs hiw own booking, etc.The arguments can be obnoxious and/or downright ugly but it's never worse than the vile sports fans can throw at each ther because underneath it all it's just a competitive mentality. Sure it bleeds into real life with dipshits saying they're happy Daniel Bryan was forced to retired for ruining Batista's return or people celebrating CM Punk's ''win'' in court, but it's an industry that wants us to have difficulty distinguishing between the character and performers, so I've never had a problem accepting the less desirable parts of the wrestling fandom.

Compare that to petty bullshit like screaming ''SJW Agenda!'' every time a minority gets a prominent role in a movie or God forbid casted in a role of a white character(even though it doesn't change shit). Complaining about the Avengers not having enough of a diverse cast, small, niche shows like Supernatural having it's writers harrased for not making the brothers gay, a cartoon artist getting told an absurd amount of obscenities(which made her quit) because people didn't like her drawing an alien as a white girl, or the infinite amount of examples of people assigning political meaning to shit that doesn't need to be dissected like that.

If Big E ever wins the big one and there's a shitstorm, it'll probably be because he squashed Daniel Bryan and not because he's black. So atleast rasslin fans aren't the worst of the worst.

[Edited on 7-3-2018 by First 9]

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1077
Registered 7-27-2002

posted on 7-3-2018 at 10:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WWE has a house show on the 21st in St. Louis. My main draw is the possibility of seeing Styles-Nakamura live, but Nakamura's recent injury puts that in doubt. If nothing else, house shows have more in-ring focus...I see very little appeal to attending the TV events.

Had two lengthy drives to shows this past weekend... actually like driving, oddly. (Did carpool to the Saturday one.) That brings my wrestling show count for the year up to 39 at the midway point...I'm on pace to beat my personal best number for a calendar year(69).

[Edited on 7-3-2018 by PB-13]

-PB

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 7-4-2018 at 12:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
On the topic of Indy vs WWE topic....

WWE shows are often more enjoyable at home over in person. Play by play. No line of sight issues. Not having to deal with assholes. No long segments staring at a Titantron.

With Indy shows...you get a lot closer, for a lot less. You still have to deal with assholes though.

WWE house shows in smaller venues are probably my favourite live experiences. Seeing Jericho and Test fight on the exposed ice of the Kitchner Memorial Auditorium. Having a 15 minute conversation with Charles Robinson during an intermission at the JLC ( now Budweiser Gardens). Don't tend to get those experiences at a TV taping or larger house show.

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1077
Registered 7-27-2002

posted on 7-12-2018 at 03:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Show count for 2018 is at 40 with two shows this coming weekend.

Now that it looks like Nakamura is back on for the house show, the 21st is a tougher call. Says something when the ads for the show primarily promote Styles, Nakamura, Bryan, and Jeff Hardy and I still have to think about it.

-PB

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top