The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (June 5, 2018)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4404
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 6-5-2018 at 10:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (June 5, 2018)

Tonight on SmackDown: WWE Champ AJ Styles and #1 Contender Shinsuke Nakamura will likely headline tonight's show with a Contract Signing... their upcoming PPV match is a Last Man Standing Match, so expect the usual TOTALLY UNEXPECTED complication of physicality, and some kind of hijinx related to counting to 10...

If that isn't the main event, it will happen earlier in the show, and the main event will probably take the form of Joe, Miz, and the New Day having some sort of match, potentially with additional participation from Bryan and Big Cass and/or The Bar... the first batch represent (most of) SD's entry into the MitB Ladder Match, and the latter batch have had criss-crossing storylines with the first batch...

[Additionally, even if we don't get a marquee match out of that group, the whole deal with the New Day getting to send only one of their members into the MitB Match will continue to be an intriguing subtext... so far, zero dissension at all, but when push comes to shove? We'll see....]

We also have two confirmed matches featuring SD's 4 female entries into that MitB Ladder Match: Charlotte and Becky will face off in a Battle of Mutual Respect in one.... the other features Jimmy Uso and Naomi against Lana and (strangely) Aiden English... I'll assume the reason why one is the husband and wife team, but the other isn't, is to have the (ostensible) heels take a loss, but still have Rusev be all "Man alive, do I have to do everything around here myself?" to set up a final 6-person tag next week, right?

Beyond that, whatever's left, time-wise will almost certain deal with Carmella vs. Asuka (the women's title match set for the PPV) and the Bludgeon Brothers vs. the Good Brothers (the tag title match set for the PPV)... the US Title -- held by Jeff Hardy -- has been essentially non-existent for almost a month; Jeff wasn't even on TV 2 of the past 3 weeks, and the week he was on, it was for a non-title, non-hostile, zero-storyline, face-vs-face match against Daniel Bryan (a MitB Qualifier)... the PPV card is already overloaded, so they don't need to invent a whole major feud out of nowhere, but you'd still expect some modicum of visibility for the belt... perhaps he's just keep it warm until Miz is free and clear of MitB considerations? Or until Andrade Cien Almas is ready for the first step up in competition?

That is all. End communication....

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 10pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 6-6-2018 at 12:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The WWE brass must hate that Mandy Rose is just meh...she looks great, and isn’t terrible in the ring, but man there’s just nothing there as far as character and connecting with the audience.
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6260
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang
Member Is Online

Mood: Mans n' Cans™

posted on 6-6-2018 at 12:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm catching the same vibe. Maybe they should have put Liv and Mandy together as mean girl blonde team and Ruby and Sonya together as the goth-y, snarly team. I think the WWE's finally gotten to the point where they really need to start considering women's tag matches and titles now that the division has really been populated with enough ladytalent. Otherwise some of these chicks might start getting lost in the shuffle for a lack of a distinctive character.

ETA: Lol, Eggsavier taking that pancake load. #PaigeKarma

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by janerd75]

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10859
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 6-6-2018 at 12:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
DeVille could be a diamond in the rough. There's some solid physicality there. That last flurry of action she had, especially that whiplashing tackle on Asuka, was pretty damn good.

Miz-jitsu? Why not the much more fun The Karate Miz?

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood: stiff

posted on 6-6-2018 at 12:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Forgive me, I missed the first 20 minutes so maybe this was already covered ... I'm assuming English is in the mixed tag match because Rusev is in a six-man match featuring Smackdown's MitB representatives (New Day vs. Miz, Rusev, & Joe)?
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 6-6-2018 at 12:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yup. Aiden and Lana.

Which makes the Uso / Naomi promo just...odd.

ETA: credit to Lana for getting better in the ring. Not particularly good, but well past being a joke.

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by bigfatgoalie]

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6260
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang
Member Is Online

Mood: Mans n' Cans™

posted on 6-6-2018 at 01:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jesus, Malenko looks old.

ETA: Oh boy, it's Bex vs. (UGH!) Charlotte!

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by janerd75]

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 6-6-2018 at 01:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
3 of the 4 matches so far have featured the ladies. Kinda odd that Hardy and Bryan haven’t had anything to do.

ETA: Big Cass is not good on the mic, at all. I mean Sin Cara was better. Sin FUCKING Cara.

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by bigfatgoalie]

shashwat mishra
Showstopper

Posts 855
Registered 9-27-2002
Location Bhubaneswar, India

Mood: Saving Money

posted on 6-6-2018 at 12:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Becky vs Charlotte could be quite the rivalry. Let us have that WWE!!!

Stuck in the 1980s.

royberto
I Do Not Know What Words Mean

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 6-6-2018 at 02:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You missed the one they had over two years ago?

Rising above the trolls

shashwat mishra
Showstopper

Posts 855
Registered 9-27-2002

posted on 6-6-2018 at 03:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah actually I did. I haven't a clue.

I watch select shows - some PPVs. Or some segments on You Tube with AJ/Jinder/Becky or if someone on OO points out an awesome match or promo.

Stuck in the 1980s.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10859
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 6-6-2018 at 08:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shashwat mishra
Becky vs Charlotte could be quite the rivalry. Let us have that WWE!!!

It would be great if they did a series of face vs. face matches between these two, like the ancient Benoit vs Booker series back in WCW. Last night was a terrific example of what they can do without the match being wrecked by cheating and interference, the way their feud was ruined a couple of years ago with too much Ric Flair involvement. Nothing against Ric, ever, but it took the focus off of what Charlotte vs Becky were capable of doing in the ring against each other.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

shashwat mishra
Showstopper

Posts 855
Registered 9-27-2002

posted on 6-7-2018 at 12:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, a clean face to face rivalry is a rare treat. Benoit vs Booker was a best of seven if I remember right and all on weekly shows?

Memorable women's matches in the past few years in my limited viewing have been Bayley vs Banks and Charlotte vs Banks. Can't see why Becky and Charlotte should not be given enough time to put on a series of great matches on Smackdown/ or PPVs. No one needs to turn.

Stuck in the 1980s.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3088
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 6-7-2018 at 02:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think a big reason the Benoit/Booker series worked so well in WCW was because the main event scene there was so shitty in terms of wrestling quality. When you have Hogan and Nash stinking up the joint, it makes watching two of the best workers in the world pushing their limits even more fun. It didn't work as well when they replicated it in WWE, because they'd already done it AND WWE was then chock full of great workers who were being pushed.

That was over a decade ago now, though, and the women haven't done anything like that. A best of 7 series between Charlotte and Lynch would absolutely make Becky, and it would put Flair in another program where she can break new ground and further cement her legacy. They should absolutely do this.

[Edited on 6-7-2018 by denverpunk]

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2494
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 6-7-2018 at 04:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looking back, the Benoit/Booker series isn't even mind-blowing work. Only about 3 of the matches from the series could be considered "great TV matches", including the GAB match.

What the series really did, however, was put a focus on two of the hardest-working guys in the company doing consistent, hard work from week to week. At that point, the matches don't NEED to be fantastic...They just need to be consistent, good, and there needs to be a sense of "I'm better than this guy" from both competitors.

It's something that needs to be done more often and it's usually memorable. Benoit and Booker had a great series in 2005 until Booker got injured in January 2006 and Orton needed to replace him for the final 2 matches (fuck Orton).

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10859
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 6-7-2018 at 05:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What made it refreshing in WCW at the time was that it provided a great and much-needed break from the non-stop NWO saturation that had by that point in time completely overwhelmed the entirety of the Monday Nitro broadcast. That one-off brilliant Lenny Lane vs Lodi match that ends up on so many best-of lists falls into the same category, just because the regular bullshit of the overall show was put on hold so a couple of athletes could just go at it to entertain the audience with their skills. WWE could easily do this, a basic face vs face best-of series because they have more than enough talent to pull it off, in both the women's and men's divisions. Thing is they're probably completely disinterested in anything like that because it's way too old-time wrasslin' and not sports-entertain-y enough for their liking anymore.

Trips could probably push it for NXT, but there's no way in hell we'll see anything like a best-of-seven with no hijinks on RAW or SD.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4107
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 6-7-2018 at 05:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Also, it was Booker T's breakout as a singles guy. The best of 7 series had his very first great singles matches.
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2018 at 10:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like how the Smackdown thread has more Benoit/Booker talk then everything on the actual show combined.
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2494
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 6-7-2018 at 11:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It’s so “old-timey and blah blah” that WWE didn’t even conclude their previous attempt at it with a payoff. Granted, you could argue that being a tag team did more good for Sheamus and Cesaro than a one-off number one contender spot would have, but seriously, they couldn’t even pull the trigger on it. It led to some good stuff though!! That series actually got me to ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD THEIR PRODUCT ONCE A WEEK.

Yeah, WWE, if you’re reading this, I live in China, have a VPN, and still barely give a shit about your product to actually download and watch it for free on a consistent basis.

Eat shit.

[Edited on 6-7-2018 by CamstunPWG187]

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8970
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 6-7-2018 at 02:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
A best of 7 series between Charlotte and Lynch would absolutely make Becky, and it would put Flair in another program where she can break new ground and further cement her legacy. They should absolutely do this.

I don't see how getting swept 4-0 in a best of 7 series is going to make Becky.

Don't Mess With Texas

Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2001
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2018 at 02:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

I don't see how getting swept 4-0 in a best of 7 series is going to make Becky.

But just think what a gritty, never-give-up babyface Becky will look like when she’s down 4-0, but demands that they finish out the seven-match series anyway so that she can prove that she’s on Charlotte’s level. It’ll be a great moment...

...much better than the moment a couple weeks later when Charlotte’s completes the 7-0 sweep.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12747
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 6-7-2018 at 03:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
It’s so “old-timey and blah blah” that WWE didn’t even conclude their previous attempt at it with a payoff. Granted, you could argue that being a tag team did more good for Sheamus and Cesaro than a one-off number one contender spot would have, but seriously, they couldn’t even pull the trigger on it. It led to some good stuff though!!

That best of 7 series was pretty fantastic, and while I was pretty "what the hell?" about them not paying it off initially, perhaps WWE creative even knew it themselves that giving either of them a one-off title shot wouldn't have done either of them a favor (and even less so for the loser of the series). Their tag team has been great, and kudos for WWE giving them the time to let them develop the team to what it has become.

[edited to add]
I didn't watch Smackdown this week, so I have nothing to add, except that a Charlotte/Becky face feud would be a good way to keep them doing something if neither of them are going to be sniffing the title anytime soon.

[Edited on 6-7-2018 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4107
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 6-7-2018 at 03:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
I think a big reason the Benoit/Booker series worked so well in WCW was because the main event scene there was so shitty in terms of wrestling quality.

[Edited on 6-7-2018 by denverpunk]

Also, there was a sense of urgency and pressure with all 7 matches happening in 2 weeks. Both guys gradually wearing each other out added to each match.

WWE's versions take that away with the Cesrao vs Sheamus version going on once per week while the sequel of Benoit vs Booker went for months.

The only ''best of'' that matches, even surpasses imo, the Benoit vs Booker series is TNA's MCMG vs Beer Money best of 5. And those guys took it up a notch by making each match a different gimmick match.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12747
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 6-7-2018 at 04:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by First 9

The only ''best of'' that matches, even surpasses imo, the Benoit vs Booker series is TNA's MCMG vs Beer Money best of 5. And those guys took it up a notch by making each match a different gimmick match.

That was a FANTASTIC series. I loved that.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top