The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fallout 76
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 5-30-2018 at 08:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fallout 76

This is happening:

Nothing else on it, but it doesn't matter: it's more Fallout. The only info coming out is speculation and Kotaku claiming their sources say there's at least some multiplayer. If it's just part of the game and this is just a New Vegas-y installment, I can live with that. If this is Fallout the Online RPG? Ehhhhhh.... Anywho, there's mention of an October date spotted in the trailer, and Bethesda does like to throw out first trailer within a few months of the game coming out (Fallout 4 had, what, a four month turnaround from announcement to release? And that worked well).

And for Fallout fans, Vault 76, per Fallout 3, is the "control" vault, or, in other words, the one that they didn't have a hidden plan with.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2335
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 5-30-2018 at 09:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Online RPG makes it a no-go for me.

I have too little free time as an adult to be wasting a time sink with asshole online players.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 684
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-11-2018 at 10:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
Online RPG makes it a no-go for me.

I have too little free time as an adult to be wasting a time sink with asshole online players.

Yeah, when I finally went in on Skyrim online, I was disappointed. Iíll be out on this if itís another mmorg or whatever theyíre called. Especially with a new RDR and Dragon Quest (after a 14 year major console hiatus) around the same time.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 6-11-2018 at 03:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's an Online Survival game. Nothing about that genre has ever struck me as entertaining, since it's essentially "build a base and when you log back in expect someone to have blown it up for no reason." The kids nowadays like it, but they also made squishy dog/baby toys and fidget spinners popular, so hard pass on this one.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 684
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-12-2018 at 09:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I have a life (I keep telling myself at least) and these type of games where stuff can happen to me when Iím not around seem pretty dumb. Meh.
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 11-11-2018 at 02:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okay, a bit late with this info, but Fallout 76 is NOT Online Survival, but a Fallout game that happens to be online with no human NPCs. I don't know how much this is going to change my, or anyone's, mind (spoiler: it will if the reviews are good for me), but it looks interesting enough. However, based on the feedback from the beta, the online portion is, apparently, just watching people do stuff while you do stuff. Turns out that most Fallout players aren't big on PVP stuff, so this is a game that could very easily change into something else later in its lifespan.

It also comes out Wednesday. So there's that.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2335
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 11-23-2018 at 06:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Itís trash.

Lock the thread

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8260
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 11-24-2018 at 06:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's already half price on Amazon right now. Haha, goddamn.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 11-24-2018 at 11:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Believe it or not, that was actually part of "the plan". I only know this because I now have to deal with video game distribution at my job, and apparently the thinking was that Red Dead Redemption 2 was releasing so close to Fallout 76 (and first, too), that less-than-stellar sales were going to be expected, and, since the game has micro-transactions for cosmetic stuff, the train of thought was to nab impulse shoppers on the impulseyest of shopping days and hope to make up for it with in-game purchases.

Of course, this would have been a good idea if the game was regarded as good. As it is, the biggest defenders of the game are even settling on "this game will be good...in a year or so," sort of like No Man's Sky. So when the bargain hunters who did buy the game this weekend (and they have) give this a go, the "refund" demands are going to be much louder and the amount of used versions of the game at Gamestop are going to go through the roof...much like No Man's Sky.

Plus side: a horrible decision like releasing this game when they did (or at all, if this is the best they could do) might make them work harder on getting their next project ready soon? ESO6 2019 would definitely make this all worth my time.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7333
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 12-3-2018 at 02:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okay, Iíll be honest: I jumped on the sale when I saw it. Not that you can call it a ďsaleĒ anymore, as it looks like a few of my stores have permanently dropped the price on it. But that being said, after playing it for a while, I donít hate it. In fact, I kind of like it. If this had NPCs, I might even say I really like it (seriously, that part hurts it since everyone you hear from is either dead or secretly a robot/AI, so a lot of the story is explaining how the area got to be how it was).

The other players are either a non-factor or a pain in the ass, since they either want to just explore on their own (shocker: fans of a game that has strictly been single player only want to play by themselves) or theyíre douche bags who want everyone to PVP, willingly or otherwise (which thankfully you can just ignore those people by turning on Pacifist mode or leave).

Base building is fine, but between the fact it isnít something anyone else will likely see, plus the possibility you might lose your spot if you leave and the server you rejoin has someone else there (or a group of enemies), my base was two crops, crafting materials, a stash box, water purifiers, and a small shed. Which actually was enough to deal with my basic survival needs, so that works out.

Now that itís $20 less, I could recommend giving it a shot. Plus tomorrowís patch is supposed to fix a lot of the major issues, so it might be worth it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top