The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Podcast Talk
DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3083
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 5-18-2018 at 07:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Podcast Talk

Since I work from home I get a lot of time to listen to whatever I feel like during the day, and lately Iíve been listening to a ton of wrestling podcasts. Iíd imagine that there are plenty of other people like myself who have been as well. I wanted to start a podcast thread where we can talk about what we listen to online week in and week out. For starters here are the ones that Iíve listened to recently ...

The Sam Roberts Podcast
Cheap Heat
The Masked Man Show
The E and C Podcast of Awesomeness
Something to Wrestle With
83 Weeks

For those who donít know 83 Weeks is the new Eric Bischoff podcast and Iím really enjoying how candid he is. The 3rd episode about Bret Hart is straight out on fire.

Anyway, please share the other podcasts you like and feel free to discuss anything that they cover in them. Thanks!

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2448
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 5-18-2018 at 08:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I watch/listen to Going in Raw with Steve and Larson on Youtube, as well as OSW Review and Cultaholic stuff. OSW Review I will particularly endorse if you enjoy Irish guys taking the piss out of old wrestling shows and being funny. I listen to Masked Man on occasion as well as Tights and Fights.

I watch Nobodies Watching Wrestling, which is drag queens reviewing the monthly PPVs and it's hilarious, especially when they were talking shit about Brock Lesnar.

Jericho and E&C sporadically, depending on guests.

I've found I don't have the patience or interest for the Bruce Pritchard stuff. I've tried a couple of times but I usually just find it mind-numbing. I have a low interest in old guys remembering behind the scenes stuff.

I have no use for either Vince Russo or Jim Cornette and would be happy if they both shut up forever.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3083
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 5-18-2018 at 08:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips! Iíll look them up. For what itís worth the Bischoff one has Conrad Thompson as the host, same as Prichard, but it has bored me way less than the Something to Wrestle With mostly because Bischoff doesnít give a flying fuck anymore.

Iím currently in hour 2 of listening to him tear Bret Hart a new asshole for being a dickbag. Itís quite fun.

Please also note Iím like the only person who actually likes Bischoff haha.

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1784
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 5-18-2018 at 08:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I listen to a couple of small time podcasts for my wrestling fix:

TalkBrunch.com as well as a show called Shooting From the Hip on Pwpop.com

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

Punk Munkee
rOOkie

Posts 43
Registered 1-23-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-18-2018 at 09:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like the Steve Austin Show when he's got wrestling guests on, especially guys from his era. It's always fun to hear him "shoot the shit" with guys he traveled or worked with. Even the more modern guests are cool because he still follows the product, and they're always so excited to be there. Q and A's can be fun, too. Not always a fan of outsiders or the ones where he just talk to his wife about stuff.

I'm getting into E and C, and really enjoying Masked Man, to which I'm quite new.

I'm sorry, I've tried Jim Ross, but I just can't.

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1784
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 5-18-2018 at 09:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jim Ross's podcast is the worst. It's like he does it in his mom's basement. The overall quality is terrible. That being said, he has zero interview skills as well. His interviews just stumble all over the place. On the other hand, Austin's interviews are awesome. The guy just has a natural ability to keep the conversation going, regardless of who his guest is.

[Edited on 5-18-2018 by Frank Lloyd Wright]

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3083
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 5-18-2018 at 09:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Punk Munkee
I like the Steve Austin Show when he's got wrestling guests on, especially guys from his era. It's always fun to hear him "shoot the shit" with guys he traveled or worked with. Even the more modern guests are cool because he still follows the product, and they're always so excited to be there. Q and A's can be fun, too. Not always a fan of outsiders or the ones where he just talk to his wife about stuff.

I'm getting into E and C, and really enjoying Masked Man, to which I'm quite new.

I'm sorry, I've tried Jim Ross, but I just can't.

I find Ross to be a great guest but not so much as a host which is ironic to say the least.

AmericanNightmare
rOOkie

Posts 25
Registered 7-2-2006
Location Lilburn, GA

Mood: Spedoinkel!

posted on 5-19-2018 at 12:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Killing the Town was my favorite, but Lance Storm recently went on sabbatical and has been replaced with Paul Lazenby, so I'm adjusting. Lazenby is awesome, but Lance Storm's chemistry with Cyrus was so damn good. The vibe is very different now.

I listen to Austin's show when it's about wrestling or when it's just him and his wife shooting the shit. I can't believe how good he's gotten. I found his shows almost unlistenable when he started.

Today I tried E and C for the first time and while I love those guys, it's a little rough. I'm gonna hang in there, though.

I've tried Russo, Ross, Wade Keller, and a few others and just couldn't get into them for one reason or another. I still enjoy Keller when he shows up on Austin's show. Jericho used to be on my playlist, but since he switched networks I've fallen off. I poked around his new host once and got annoyed with the interface or something. If a show isn't easy to download, I'm out. There's too much readily available stuff.

I'll definitely give the Masked Man and Bischoff a try. I am an admitted fan of Uncle Eric.

I know you stole my Loverboy tape!

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   AmericanNightmare 's Yahoo
Punk Munkee
rOOkie

Posts 43
Registered 1-23-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-19-2018 at 09:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can't even figure out how to listen to Jericho's show anymore. It was my favorite. I'm not an Apple guy, so iTunes is out. How else can you get to it?
Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3498
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 5-20-2018 at 09:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I use the overcast app, which I believe you can get on android devices. You can get all the podcasts on that. I listen to:
Jericho when he has an interesting guest
Edge & Christian
Sam Roberts
Cheap Heat
Masked Man
In This Corner with Brian Campbell
Wade Keller post shows
Post Wrestling (just the raw & smackdown recaps).

Iím not a fan of the Prichard podcast, itís too damn long.
The Bischoff Podcast is just full of Ericís claims and views on things which have been proven already to be 99% false. I canít see why people listen to it, thereís no point.

God help anyone who listens to Russo. They need their heads checked.

EricOMac
The Rowdy One

Posts 2851
Registered 2-9-2003
Location Near Chapel Hill

Mood:

posted on 5-21-2018 at 02:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Masked Man Show is a must listen every week.

Jericho and E+C are great depending on the guests. I especially enjoyed E+Cís show with Cody Rhodes.

I havenít been able to get into any others on a regular basis. Iíll need to check out 83 weeks.

VOTE!

Winner of a lot of wrestling drafts.

ďIn times of crisis, the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers.Ē

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   EricOMac 's Aim
whyme
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1039
Registered 2-4-2003
Location in my house

Mood: Minty Fresh

posted on 5-21-2018 at 03:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I actually enjoyed Russo's Podcast before he got kicked off Podcast One.

It turned me onto The Conspiracy Horsemen with Steve Richards and 3 others that go over conspiracys.

Russo's Raw and Smackdown recaps were entertaining because of how much he hates them and he has Stevie Richards and Bin Hamin on and they can be pretty funny.

Two Penguins sitting in a bathtub, one says pass the radio.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10647
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Bouncebreak? YAY!

posted on 5-21-2018 at 04:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ric Flair's podcast was OK in terms of the stories and guest. Ric himself though is a mushmouth that sounds like he's drunk even when he's not. And he has a terrible tendency to keep interrupting the guests when they're trying to answer the questions. Both factors made it pretty annoying to listen to.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 5-21-2018 at 03:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I listen to Pritchard's show weekly. It's quite long, but I generally listen to it in 30-60 minute chunks. I listen to Jericho if I'm interested in the guest. Same for Austin (Jericho has a lot more non-wrestling guests I'm interested in then Austin does). E&C are decent, but still needs work. They get in to some great conversations with the right guests, though.

I need to listen to Masked Man more, because he's good, and he's been a part time OOster. I guess I prefer to listen to people reminisce and go behind the scenes about the old nostalgic wrestling memories I have over listening to people dissect the current product.

I've given Shiavone's a listen, and it's just ok. I'll check out Eric's some time, in between the two or three I already listen to regularly and the 5 or 6 non-wrestling podcasts I listen to as well.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3083
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 5-21-2018 at 03:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gobshite
I use the overcast app, which I believe you can get on android devices. You can get all the podcasts on that. I listen to:
Edge & Christian
Sam Roberts
Cheap Heat
Masked Man
Wade Keller post shows

Iím not a fan of the Prichard podcast, itís too damn long.
The Bischoff Podcast is just full of Ericís claims and views on things which have been proven already to be 99% false. I canít see why people listen to it, thereís no point.

God help anyone who listens to Russo. They need their heads checked.

Re: Bischoff

I get the impression that he might not have the best memory but I certainly donít feel like he is lying. It probably ends up coming down to your feelings about Meltzer. Personally I always thought Meltzer made up tons of nonsense and is likely less credible than 80% of the random posters on this website so Iím naturally inclined to believe the other person than him in a he said/he said situation.

Considering that Edge and Pritchard always shit on Meltzerís credibility as well Iím inclined to believe Bischoff on much of this stuff.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4018
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 5-21-2018 at 04:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Prichard has an innate charisma that makes him fun to listen to plus the ways he walks around shitting on guys he obviously doesn't have a high opinion on makes him come off as a nice guy. But he has chosen some weird hills to die on. He still insists that the WM3 attendance numbers are totally legit despite being proven they're exagerrated. Even Vince has said their bullshit.

I don't think there's any real authority. We know the promoters are lying sacks of shit, wrestlers have a vested interest in pushing certain narratives, and Melzter has always admitted his ''reporting'' is a game of backstage gossip.

Punk Munkee
rOOkie

Posts 43
Registered 1-23-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-21-2018 at 05:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gobshite
Edge & Christian
Sam Roberts
Cheap Heat
Masked Man
Wade Keller post shows

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it looks like Overcast isn't available for Android. I have, however, found it on player.fm, if anyone else is looking for an Android Jericho solution.

DK, I agree on Ross. He's got such a wealth of knowledge and was present for so many major moments, and that's why he's interesting. He just doesn't draw you in like Austin or Jericho. With them it feels like you're sitting in the room. I think that's why I've always loved Howard Stern, too.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9463
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-21-2018 at 08:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I used to be a regular listener of Colt Cabana's podcast but (don't tell Colt) I have COMPLETELY abandoned him for Something to Wrestle (Prichard) and What Happened When (Schiavone). Both podcasts can sometimes be hit-or-miss depending on the subject but I am still hugely entertained by each one. As was mentioned above, Bruce is just an awesome storyteller and he'd probably find a way to make reading a phone book entertaining. And I was skeptical going into the Schiavone one but that SOB is pretty great as well! And they both seem like good dudes. Plus, I legit received a phone call from Bruce after purchasing shirts for myself and my girlfriend! It took a few months and I was wondering if I'd ever hear from him but sure enough, he really will call! Pretty awesome thing to do given how busy he obviously is.

Haven't heard Conrad/Bischoff yet but fully intend to add that one to the rotation.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

salmonjunkie

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 5-21-2018 at 09:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Which shirt did you get? And what did you guys talk about during the phone call?

PRONOUNS, PAL!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4018
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 5-21-2018 at 11:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So I read an interview with Bischoff over on Reddit and it did a fantastic job on showing how he really doesn't give a shit in regards to pulling punches. Here's some of his gems.

''(chuckle) No, I have not been around a more delusional wrestler than Bret Hart''

''I did push Chris Jericho, I hired him as a Cruiseweight and that was his role.''

In regards to the infmaously stupid finish at Starrcade 97...

''The stories have been both fabricated and exaggerated.

There was only one time that Hogan came close to exercising the full power of his creative control (Hogan/Sting Starrcade) and I felt he was justified in doing so.''

It'd be easy to just shift the blame to somebody else,likeRusso and Nash do regarding their booking misfires, so it's somewhat refreshing that 20 years laters Bischoff still stands by all the crap that happened under his watch. Definently going to seek out his podcast recapping the MNWs.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9463
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-22-2018 at 12:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
Which shirt did you get? And what did you guys talk about during the phone call?

PRONOUNS, PAL!

I got the Mil Mascaras "No Yob!" and got her the chicken salad recipe (unbeknownst to her that I ordered it). She just cracks up when he does Jerry listing out the recipe. I think it's sitting in our closet somewhere unworn.

And he called on a Sunday afternoon and the number was "restricted" so I thought it might be him but I still didn't answer and he left me a voicemail. But as they've said on the show, it's just about as cool having a voicemail from Bruce Prichard as it is having gotten to talk to him! And the voicemail is awesome. He even referenced which shirts I ordered! It's about 25 seconds and really feels heartfelt as opposed to a guy just trying to blow through as many phone calls as he can so he can get them out of the way. I was thinking I might order another and actually speak to him next time!

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

mastermind
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1154
Registered 3-7-2002
Location Brockton MA

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 5-23-2018 at 12:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'd like to add Wrasslerap to the discussion. Great melding of the two styles there, they cover all facets of pro wrestling and when they have guests they get them to speak freely and openly. Plus they have the best soundtrack in wrestling podcasts no question.

Wrestling Podcast About Nothing
http://wpan.bdaradio.com
Low-key New England area Indie podcast that's quietly reached over 100 episodes. It's by the Kingpin Brian Milonis who you should recognize from RoH TV and it's filled with hilarious and informative stories on the flipside of both Independent wrestling and brushes with big league fame as contracted jobbers.

Also shout outs to the Dirty Dutch show, hope he gets well soon. Something to Wrestle with remains KING (saw the live show in Boston), Conrad Thompson is best podcast host ever. Don't sleep on the official PWI magazine podcast either. It's very Lance Storm-like in it's "if I could be serious for a minute" tone, but these guys take on familiar angles from a totally diff angle than ur typical wrestling fan. Highly recommended.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10647
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Bouncebreak? YAY!

posted on 5-23-2018 at 12:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Welcome back, MSD. Good to see you escaped from Baron Strahd's dungeon again for a while.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9463
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-23-2018 at 10:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastermind
Conrad Thompson is best podcast host ever.

I see Conrad get some hate in different sectors of the Intrawebz and I do not get it at ALL. The amount of work he puts into these things exhausts me and I'm not the one doing it. AND he has (had?) his mortgage business to maintain to boot! To be able to do the massive amount of research he obviously does and THEN sit and have an entertaining conversation with Bruce (or Tony. Or Bischoff) for three hours at a time is amazing. I'm a little older than him but he is my wrestling torch bearer for my generation! I'm listening to the WM IV episode of the podcast now and he talked about renting the DOUBLE VHS of WM IV when it came out which I completely remembered.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 5-24-2018 at 03:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I love Conrad. Not only is Bruce a fantastic storyteller, Conrad plays off Bruce really well, and I love their chemistry. And talk about hard work and research. They did a 4 hour episode on Macho Man, and then followed it up with a four hour episode of Jeff Jarrett. And I was hooked the entire time. No fast forwarding (besides their plugs, although sometimes, the way they segue in to the plugs is hilarious).

One of the biggest things I like about Bruce is how he lets the listener in on how Vince's crazy mind works - which I don't think any other wrestling podcaster has the ability to convey as well. And of course, it's punctuated by his over the top (or maybe dead on?) impersonation of Vince.

[Edited on 5-24-2018 by salmonjunkie]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top