The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do you have an old scanner?
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 4-9-2018 at 10:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Do you have an old scanner?

Just a tip I wanted to share.

I have an old Canon scanner that they never go around to updating the drivers for when Windows 7 came out. Being stubborn I held onto it. Eventually I began running a virtual machine inside of my PC to run XP, to use the scanner. Pain in the dick.

I was getting ready to finally get rid of the thing today after having enough of it, and upgrade to essentially the same product, that can run on 7.... which is not an upgrade, but a cash grab by Canon.

I stumbled across a message board where people recommended software called VueScan. Somehow (magnets and magic I assume) it can just automatically detect and operate most older scanners as if it was a legit driver. Fucking magic. So I get to keep my perfectly fine piece of hardware, don't add anything to a landfill, and don't let Canon fuck me. It costs $40 to run it. However, if you're the nefarious type you can find a cracked/trial version on torrents. If you do so, it will place watermarks on your scans... Until you use a key generator, and disconnect your internet so it can't send data out to check authenticity with it's servers..... Not that I would know anything about that.

So thank you internet for making my day. And Canon is not alone in this shit. HP took YEARS to udpate the driver for my printer. They were hoping the end user would get tired and just buy the new model (which is literally identical), with the updated driver. But I played the long game and eventually they updated the driver. So yea, I'm using a printer that is almost a decade old, and a scanner that is probably thirteen years old, and they're still doing their thing perfectly.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7733
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 4-9-2018 at 10:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So...is your scanner listed in the device manager? Because if so you could save the driver, uninstall VueScan, install the driver, and install any number of free scanner software.
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 4-9-2018 at 10:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nope. It's like it didn't exist.

"Put the chicken wings down n come to Jihad bro."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top