The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PPV DISCUSSION: NXT TakeOver New Orleans
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11533
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 4-7-2018 at 09:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
PPV DISCUSSION: NXT TakeOver New Orleans

ANDRADE "CIEN" ALMAS vs. ALEISTER BLACK (NXT Title Match)
EMBER MOON vs. SHAYNA BASZLER (NXT Women's Title Match)
UNDISPUTED ERA vs. AUTHORS OF PAIN vs. RODERICK STRONG/PETE DUNNE (NXT Tag Team Title and Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic trophy)
ADAM COLE vs. EC3 vs. KILLIAN DAIN vs. LARS SULLIVAN vs. RICOCHET vs. VELVETEEN DREAM (NXT North American Title Ladder Match)
JOHNNY GARGANO vs. TOMMASO CIAMPA (Unsanctioned Match with Gargano's NXT career on the line)

[Edited on 4-7-2018 by Matte]

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7932
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 4-7-2018 at 09:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Isn't Gargano's NXT career already over based on the loss to Almas? Did they change that in the past few weeks?
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11533
Registered 12-16-2008

posted on 4-7-2018 at 09:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If he wins, he's reinstated. If he loses, he's banned for good.

Daniel Bryan wants him to lose.

CM Crunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1957
Registered 7-20-2011

Mood: PrestonC76

posted on 4-7-2018 at 11:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Watching the preshow right now, and breaking news from Pat McAfee* while interviewing Adam Cole: The NA Title Ladder Match is opening up the show.

*Seriously, who is this guy? In the span of 5 minutes he's gone from somebody I figured was just a Performance Center washout to easily my 2nd favorite commentator in the company.

Oney Lorcan Guy

Columbo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1011
Registered 11-2-2004
Location @columbo527

Mood: GodDamnWOOO

posted on 4-7-2018 at 11:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CM Crunk
Watching the preshow right now, and breaking news from Pat McAfee*

*Seriously, who is this guy? In the span of 5 minutes he's gone from somebody I figured was just a Performance Center washout to easily my 2nd favorite commentator in the company.

He used to be the Colts punter, he cut a Twitter promo on Cole a couple weeks ago that was amazing.

My expectations for this show are probably way too high. On paper every match except Moon vs. Baszler should be awesome and if Gargano* vs. Ciampa deliver what I know they're capable of I can easily see it being one of my favorite matches ever.

* I know Dbry wants Johnny to lose so he can get him for Smackdown, but what about he loses and gets a much deserved WM moment by being Brauns partner?

"The North Cafeteria, named after Admiral William North, is located in the western portion of East Hall, gateway to the western half of North Hall, which is named, not after William North, but for its position above the South Wall. It is the most contested and confusing battlefield on Greendale’s campus, next to the English Memorial Spanish Center, named after English Memorial, a Portuguese sailor that discovered Greendale while looking for a fountain that cured syphilis."

CM Crunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1957
Registered 7-20-2011

posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He's great. He's so far referred to Adam Cole as Adam Cole, Babay, interviewed Drake Wuertz and his tan as if they were two separate entities, and dropped a "strategery" into his questioning. Can we get this guy to replace Coach on RAM?

Oney Lorcan Guy

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11533
Registered 12-16-2008

posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Columbo
* I know Dbry wants Johnny to lose so he can get him for Smackdown, but what about he loses and gets a much deserved WM moment by being Brauns partner?

If the match goes as it should (being an unsanctioned match and all) and he loses, I'd think he should lay low for just a bit to really sell the beating before he shows up somewhere on the main show. Showing up to wrestle the very next day kind of sells the idea of the match and feud short.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7932
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well that might have just been the best ladder match since...well, last year's DIY/Revival/Authors match but my fucking lord Ricochet is insane.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7801
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So we just got a candidate for MOTY, best ladder match ever, and best opening match ever.

CM Crunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1957
Registered 7-20-2011

posted on 4-8-2018 at 01:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That was fun as hell. It really says something about the current NXT roster that out of the participants in that ladder match, Ricochet (awesome as he is) isn’t the one I’m most high on.

Anybody else feel like Baszler has a higher upside than Rousey?

Oney Lorcan Guy

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7801
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 4-8-2018 at 01:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No. Baszler lacks the name value, and honestly, hasn't wowed me in the ring. She needs a better finisher than the headlock choke.
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7382
Registered 5-24-2004
Member Is Online

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 4-8-2018 at 01:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thirty minute match, ten minute break, and, what, probably another thirty minute match? Just give Adam Cole all the titles. All of them.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10647
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Bouncebreak? YAY!

posted on 4-8-2018 at 01:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Baszler is superior though to Rousey in the intangibles of a wrestling personality. It's doubtful that Rousey will defeat her shortcomings whereas Baszler was successfully able to project that "Shayna's gonna KILL YOU" image right from her start at the MYC. And we haven't seen Rousey even wrestle yet, aside from putting Hunter through a table, so it's conceivable that Baszler could be superior to her in that respect too.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

CM Crunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1957
Registered 7-20-2011

posted on 4-8-2018 at 01:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
No. Baszler lacks the name value, and honestly, hasn't wowed me in the ring. She needs a better finisher than the headlock choke.

quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Baszler is superior though to Rousey in the intangibles of a wrestling personality. It's doubtful that Rousey will defeat her shortcomings whereas Baszler was successfully able to project that "Shayna's gonna KILL YOU" image right from her start at the MYC. And we haven't seen Rousey even wrestle yet, aside from putting Hunter through a table, so it's conceivable that Baszler could be superior to her in that respect too.

Yeah, It's probably a little foolish of me to float that before even seeing Ronda in the ring. Speaking as somebody in the huge minority that is only aware of her "being a thing" and not from her "doing the thing," I've just been really underwhelmed by her at every turn. I'm more than willing to be proven wrong, though.

At this point though, just given the small glimpses I've had of both of them, I don't think it's too crazy to think that, as far as pro wrestling goes, Baszler very well might be the Ken Shamrock to Rousey's Dan Severn.

Oney Lorcan Guy

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7801
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 4-8-2018 at 01:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The question was who has more upside. Rhonda could suck tomorrow, but still end up as one of the biggest attractions the WWE has.

And not sure how I feel about that ending to the tag match.

ETA: Almas vs Gargano was better. There were some awkward moments, the ending the biggest one. That was a quick tap out.

[Edited on 4-8-2018 by bigfatgoalie]

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7932
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 4-8-2018 at 03:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That was the greatest story this company has ever told. They called back the ending of their first match against each other. I just...WOW.
CM Crunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1957
Registered 7-20-2011

posted on 4-8-2018 at 03:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
That was the greatest story this company has ever told. They called back the ending of their first match against each other. I just...WOW.

Good luck to anyone on the main roster topping that tomorrow.

Oney Lorcan Guy

EricOMac
The Rowdy One

Posts 2851
Registered 2-9-2003
Location Near Chapel Hill

Mood:

posted on 4-8-2018 at 03:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano

That was awesome and possibly my favorite thing since the DIY-Revival matches.

VOTE!

Winner of a lot of wrestling drafts.

“In times of crisis, the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers.”

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   EricOMac 's Aim
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7801
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 4-8-2018 at 03:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Really? I found the opening match to be the match of the night.

The main event had some awkward moments. The heat was nuclear, and the match was good, but Ciampa really didn't do anything absurdly dastardly in the match. And that knee brace stf didnt look special enough for the fast tap out.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7382
Registered 5-24-2004
Member Is Online

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 4-8-2018 at 03:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WWE has done the bad guy vs good guy “but it’s personal” bit a number of times in the past, but that may have been the first time they’ve done a match where they actually made me feel like the two people hated each other on a personal level and were going to legitimately go as far as they could to settle it: no cheap roll ups, they were going to make sure the other one paid before they called it. They need to use this match at the Performance Center as the blueprint to how to tell a story. Well done on so many levels.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7801
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 4-8-2018 at 03:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
One more post on the main event before I stop because I really liked the match...but Bret vs Bulldog, Bret vs Owen, and Bret vs Austin all told great stories with far better endings. And Austin vs Triple H ended with them hitting each other with a sledge hammer and 2 X 4 wrapped in barbed wire. They've done "these guys hate each other" very well in the past. It's pretty much their go to angle.

Still, really good show.

Will be interesting to see if Almas gets called up, or if he will continue to feud with Alister Black and his horrible back tattoo.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7932
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 4-8-2018 at 03:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nothing Bret Hart has ever done was as good as that match.
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4338
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 4-8-2018 at 04:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Really good show.

A little bottom heavy for my narrative tastes. Right now, the NA Title is way more interesting/valuable than the NXT TItle, because Almas/Black was just so..... not great. Not bad. But not great.

Almas has the makings of a great heel, especially with ZVega, but he needs the right dance partner. And Black? His ceiling is if he becomes CM Dutch, and right now, he has all the Punk imagery, but without the making-us-care part.

Gargano/Ciampa was solid, too, but not a game changer for either man. It's a story that needed an end, and it got it, but I don't think they played the cards in a way that allowed either character to grow. Now, they're both just employees of NXT again, and we are back where we started.

On the advice of others in this thread, I'm going back and watching the pre-show, just to see if Pat McAfee is anything....

And he might be. I know I've seen indie footage of him doing some stuff as a loud-mouth, so he's actually into the mindset of telling a story and acting the fool.... all while being funny and smart and meta and being a former NFL player.

In this way, I hereby declare that Pat McAfee is already several orders of magnitude better than Mongo McMichael ever was.

Also: Mongo McAfee showing up on SD, so that Corey Graves can start working a normal schedule, would be OK with me, I think. Probably (he might be the kind of guy who wears out his welcome surprisingly quickly).

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2737
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 4-8-2018 at 04:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Back from takeover and still coming down off the high of that show.

I don't know how it played on tv, but that was a great show and I loved every match. That ladder match really does have to enter the shortlist of greatest ladder matches ever. I like all six of these guys more then I did before the match.

That was easily the best match of Shayna's career.

The tag match was solid, but I was still recovering from the ladder match. Roddy joining Era was great.

Black/Almas was very good and built well as the match went along. Almas used every trick in his book, time to call him up. Almas and AoP are my two guesses for cLl ups postmania

Glad they had the nerve to put Gargano in the main event. Those two brought it.

War Machine also debuted in the preshow. I wonder if that is legit or just to get the live crowd excited.

OO's only mammal penguin

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2737
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 4-8-2018 at 04:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Back from takeover and still coming down off the high of that show.

I don't know how it played on tv, but that was a great show and I loved every match. That ladder match really does have to enter the shortlist of greatest ladder matches ever. I like all six of these guys more then I did before the match.

That was easily the best match of Shayna's career.

The tag match was solid, but I was still recovering from the ladder match. Roddy joining Era was great.

Black/Almas was very good and built well as the match went along. Almas used every trick in his book, time to call him up. Almas and AoP are my two guesses for cLl ups postmania

Glad they had the nerve to put Gargano in the main event. Those two brought it.

War Machine also debuted in the preshow. I wonder if that is legit or just to get the live crowd excited.

OO's only mammal penguin

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top